Will you be taking your family to Disney before a cure/vaccine is found for Covid 19?

I agree with a pp, my brother in law is a surgeon at a NYC hospital and has told us numerous times that the goal of social distancing is to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed, but that everyone will get it. It’s important because if they are overwhelmed then even more will die, and I will be on the cautious side when they open, but at some point I’m going to get back to living. Maybe not this summer, and as the situation changes and we have more information then I will evaluate at that time.

We had a trip planned for the end of July. When this started I thought I was being really pessimistic thinking July was when they would open, now who knows. But if this goes on till next fall with no end in sight and no hope for a cure, at some point I know I’ll get tired of my house. We don’t have underlying health conditions and I’ll want to get back to feeling like I’m living... at least that is what I think now, I reserve the right to change my time multiple times as the situation evolves.

We have resort stays currently booked for last few days of May into June...which Disney hasn't cancelled. We also have resort stays in August and November. In my opinion Disney will cancel our May/ June trip and I know I'm going to cancel August. Disney won't be what it was before, their will be precautions in place that will impact your experience, there will be things closed or not happening ( character meet and greets as they used to be, fireworks etc.) If I were a first time visitor or only went every couple of years there is no way I would spend money to go with a super limited experience. We live just over an hour away, I normally don't like to drive there and back in the same day but whenever we do go back, this is probably what we will do ( instead of staying overnight.) I may try a day trip before the November resort stay depending on what happens in the parks etc. This virus is a BIG deal. I have had 2 people ( a younger cousin in senior year at University who ran on track scholarship and didn't have any pre existing conditions....and a friend I graduated with who was 38.) Both died from covid 19. Anyone who doesn't think it can happen to them or their child is delusional. It can. With that said, each person has to decide if that risk is worth it to them to visit a theme park. I'm keeping our November reservation and will see how it goes. Good luck to everyone on their decisions, stay safe and healthy.

We have a trip planned for December and without a vaccine, I'm really on the fence. My husband is in the higher risk category so it wouldn't be the worst thing to postpone until next year. Right now, it's just waiting to see how this plays out over the Summer into early Fall.

We have resort stays currently booked for last few days of May into June...which Disney hasn't cancelled. We also have resort stays in August and November. In my opinion Disney will cancel our May/ June trip and I know I'm going to cancel August. Disney won't be what it was before, their will be precautions in place that will impact your experience, there will be things closed or not happening ( character meet and greets as they used to be, fireworks etc.) If I were a first time visitor or only went every couple of years there is no way I would spend money to go with a super limited experience. We live just over an hour away, I normally don't like to drive there and back in the same day but whenever we do go back, this is probably what we will do ( instead of staying overnight.) I may try a day trip before the November resort stay depending on what happens in the parks etc. This virus is a BIG deal. I have had 2 people ( a younger cousin in senior year at University who ran on track scholarship and didn't have any pre existing conditions....and a friend I graduated with who was 38.) Both died from covid 19. Anyone who doesn't think it can happen to them or their child is delusional. It can. With that said, each person has to decide if that risk is worth it to them to visit a theme park. I'm keeping our November reservation and will see how it goes. Good luck to everyone on their decisions, stay safe and healthy.
I'm so sorry the virus has impacted you so closely. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Yes we would go before a cure, treatment or vaccine.

I won’t go if there’s limited experiences.

I work for a hospital in N.J. The point of social distancing is to flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. An overwhelmed hospital leads to unnecessary deaths.

You can’t stop this virus. Most, if not all of us, will get it. You can’t stop that unless you stay locked in the house for the next few years and hope a vaccine is found. There’s no guarantee we will ever have a vaccine.

It may be a while for us before we go back. We had several trips planned for the rest of this year that aren’t happening. I’m due in the fall and with our other kids, we waited until after they were a year old and got their MMR and other vaccinations before taking them on a plane to WDW. Now with COVID-19 we are more cautious and will likely wait for a while. While DH and I can be diligent with hand washing and not touching our faces, our 1 and 4 year olds cannot yet be trusted to do the same all the time.

I have a trip planned for November and I do intend to go if it is open, whether there is a vaccine or treatment, but will not go if there's no character meals/character meets bc at this point that is the priority of the experience for MY kids (I know this isn't true for everyone).

I assume we will all get this at some point in our lives going forward. I pray there is a treatment, and even better a vaccine, but I plan to follow all rules and procedures set forth by the government and health officials, but will not further limit my family if this is open. My kids have lost so much in the past 5 weeks... and will continue to miss so much. I plan to protect their safety the best I can, but am also aware of the risks and the likelihood of this disease (and we live in NJ and my H works in NYC so we are right in the hot zone).

We plan to still go when it reopens, but it’s an adult only trip. We’ve weighed our decisions and since my younger kids aren’t coming and the three of us who are going are “essential workers” who have been working through all this, we are prepared to take the risk. That said, I’ll also be quarantining away from my elderly mother and anyone high risk that I know for 2 weeks afterwards. I have an administrative job, so I can really limit how many people come in contact with me at work.

My DD12 and I have a trip scheduled for September. As of right now, I would say "yes" I will feel comfortable taking that trip in September even if there is no vaccine or treatment. But that may change. It will be a continuous loop of reevaluation based on developments of variables that are unforeseeable at this time. I will continue to plan optimistically for now, and I will make that final decision in August.

When my school closed for two weeks (we are closed indefinitely now) in March, I fully intended to keep my June 2020 reservation and go to WDW. My principal had a trip planned for April that had not yet been cancelled by Disney. We thought this would be a short-term problem. We also didn't know that it was already an issue months prior while we were obliviously going about our normal business.

The two weeks became a month and it all started to hit the fan. When it became a very terrifying situation in NYC, and soon after in my state, I realized that our June 2020 trip would not be happening. Then our travel agent cancelled our trip. I still haven't been able to bring myself to cancel our dining reservations. I just can't seem to do it. We booked Polynesian for July 2021. Who knows if that trip will actually come to fruition?

I am a teacher working from home, and my husband is an essential worker. I now know people who have died from it. It is in my neighborhood. I am frightened every day because I am one of the high risk population, and so is my daughter. Every day there is something new. Every day there is a new challenge.

I have learned that we cannot predict one thing.

One day at a time...

My answer might be different if we were a family with young. I haven't laid a hand on my grandchildren since this started - forget 1st birthdays and Bunny Time. All this distancing brings a more than physical distancing. It leads to distancing from empathy. If the resorts open before our Fall vacations we will go - vaccine or no - and we'll be making major usage of our villa and veranda instead of hanging at the bar, the pool or the Springs.

Our 6th trip to Disney was decided on when trip #5 was done in June 2018. We are going in May/.June 2021 I see no reason to change the dates. There are a lot of stuff you can catch anywhere.

Yes. We were booked for May, which we canceled. We also canceled November 2020 and January 2021 for a few reasons, the biggest of which was that I cannot pull my then kindergartener and second grader out of school next year after so much missed school this spring.

I rescheduled us for 7 nights in mid-August 2020. As I’ve mentioned before, my husband is a frontline worker and we haven’t seen him (other than through FaceTime, a closed window, or a storm door) in what is now 8 weeks. None of us are high risk groups. My in-laws are joining us on the trip and they may cancel based on their ages and health. But we are still going unless they lock everything down again in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter