Will your kids wear masks?

^In regards to the 2.5 year old being okay with it, for us, it was that he has to wear it if he's out of the house because that's the go-to here. Plus, he's seeing kids all over wearing them (I'm sure that scenario would apply at Disney too- like if everyone else is wearing one, of course you are too). I don't know? It wasn't a fight for us- I think he saw the 4 and 6 year old doing it and just went with it. We do live in a fairly large city where we'll be walking to go places typically as I'm for sure not comfortable doing public transit now. On a crowded sidewalk, people are definitely trying to be courteous and careful here, but it's really, really hard to not get within that 6 foot boundary. That may also be working in our favor- they know they don't leave the house without a hat or gloves if it's cold out as well, because again, we're going to be walking to whatever errand we're doing. I think a mask will become like the new hat/glove/coat type item here where you just grab it and put it on before you walk out the door. We're not as population dense as NYC, but my friends in NYC are having their 2 + 3 year olds wear them to the park too, for what it's worth.

Our kids wear them as they are required in Pennsylvania. I have noticed that as the temperature heats up a lot of people have discovered they have medical conditions(the only reason a mask is not required in Pa.)that did not exist before the heat!! Our kids would jump in the car to go with me to the store. The hotter is gets the more they choose to stay home. I just can't imagine wearing them around the park all day in the heat and expecting them to. I've seen tons of cranky people when the day heats up and can only imagine how they will be under a mask. On a positive note at least under a mask their "grumpy" faces will be hidden.

I have been watching some videos of people walking around Disney Springs. One guy posted a video. He was there less then an hour and going in and out of air conditioned stores. He said that it was about 90 degrees and in that time, his face got extremely red and his mask was all sweaty. You can see the sweat lines. It looked miserable. People are going to have to carry a big supply around with them to change out the sweaty ones for their whole family. I can't imagine walking around for hours with a wet rag on your face. I see an uptick in fungal infections.

I have been watching some videos of people walking around Disney Springs. One guy posted a video. He was there less then an hour and going in and out of air conditioned stores. He said that it was about 90 degrees and in that time, his face got extremely red and his mask was all sweaty. You can see the sweat lines. It looked miserable. People are going to have to carry a big supply around with them to change out the sweaty ones for their whole family. I can't imagine walking around for hours with a wet rag on your face. I see an uptick in fungal infections.
My kids are 7 and have been wearing a mask at home- riding bikes, scooters, school lunch pick-ups, in stores, etc. They understand they will have to wear it at Disney.
DH and I were just talking about how many masks we are going to bring, especially for him as his face gets very sweaty. We go in August and I think are going to get different types of masks in case we like some better than others- also waiting to hear more reports from others who go in July to see if they have any tips

My 15 year old and I handed out t-shirts in 90 degree weather here in Texas for 2 1/2 hours. It was horrible wearing a mask. Within 10 minutes it was already slightly damp. Luckily we could pull them down occasionally when the line allowed or other people filled in for us. I don't know how people will be able to wear them for long periods of time outside in the summer (whether in Texas or Florida.) I am hoping to figure out the most comfortable ones (thinking different materials) but secretly hope the requirement will be dropped when we go to WDW in November. If not, we will wear them as required but I can imagine the kids (12 and 15) will pull them down any chance they get.

I think changing frequency is key. Masks are so cheap and easy to make, and so compact to store, I could easily bring a big enough stash to change every half hour throughout the day. Spend 5 minutes washing in the sink before bed, and they air dry by morning.

Alternatively, it seems like surgical masks are becoming more widely available for the general public. I find them to be more lightweight and less sweaty. Could bring a box and discard for a new one often.

I’m considering making some prototypes out of athletic wicking fabric. I think cotton is generally easier to breathe through, but wonder if a synthetic might be better for sweaty days.

Mask wearing in heat and humidity is always going to be more cumbersome than not wearing a mask, but I do think we can find ways to make it more comfortable.

The disposable non-medical grade masks are getting easier to find around here and less expensive than when they were only available online. This might be the better option when frequent changing is needed in the Florida heat. I would not want to be handwashing a day’s worth of masks for my entire family at the sink!

The disposable non-medical grade masks are getting easier to find around here and less expensive than when they were only available online. This might be the better option when frequent changing is needed in the Florida heat. I would not want to be handwashing a day’s worth of masks for my entire family at the sink!
Fair enough! I’m going solo with my daughter, so much smaller number of masks.

Alternatively, you could always do a quick load of laundry back at the resort. I hate packing dirty clothes, so I always try to launder on my trips. With only two of us, it takes a few days to have a decent sized load.

I agree. I would try to find disposable ones before handwashing. It takes me back to when we had babies and I was handwashing bottles in the hotel sink every night. No thanks:)

My kid said Disney was not worth it if we had to wear a mask. Hopefully the attendance will be so low in July that the policy changes quickly.

They wear it whenever we are out. But we all agree to postpone a Disney trip until we don't have to wear them there. We have the luxury of time so that helps. Also re washing cloth masks, realize you also have to expose them to high heat like boiling water to destroy any bacteria from the moisture we exhale. Soap and water helps for the virus but not the bacteria. Yeah, sanitizing is fun.

My kids (13 and 11) wear masks whenever required (store trips, etc.). The 13 y/o is okay with it and doesn't complain, but the 11 y/o only goes out when absolutely necessary. They'd both probably wear them at Disney if we were to go, but since we are stationed in Europe right now we've decided to see all we can here rather than fly back to the states when on vacation. Of course, we still have to wear masks on vacation here as well...

So I had to wear one to my daughter's doctors appt yesterday. I could not handle it. I have very sensitive skin and my face felt like it was being scratched off. I also have claustrophobia and almost had a panic attack and also started sneezing and a bit of hyperventilation. I had to go out and take it off. I don't have many physical or mental issues, but claustrophobia is my Achilles heel. I know that there are plenty of people who can wear them with no issues. I am not one of those. I am fortunate that I live in an area that was not hit hard and that masks are not required. Some businesses make their employees wear them but mine does not. I would have to quit my job if that were the case. Please be a bit more understanding of those who can not wear them just because it is "no big deal" for you.

For many people, practice with wearing a mask is key. Along with finding a type of face covering, be it mask/kerchief/gaiter that feels best to you. I wouldn't put a mask on anyone who has never worn one and expect them to keep it on all day. I know the first time I put one on I was had to keep telling myself not to touch it, not to touch my face. I now have a few of the neck gaiters, and I wore one for 6 hours yesterday, no big deal.

I think wearing a mask is a learned behavior. For us women, it is like wearing a bra. At first, it is horrible.:laughing:

My kids have worn them for fun to get used to them; so far they’ve only worn them for an hour max. While masks are required here, we don’t take our kids anywhere. If we need to go to the store, one of us stays home with them or one of us stays in the car with them. We are going to try to get them to wear the masks slowly since we want them to be used to them before we go in August.

I was upset to see the mask requirement drop from age 3 to age 2. My son is turning 2 soon, and he won't keep on the mask. I think it's somewhat unrealistic to expect a 2 year old to wear a mask for long periods. Therefore Disney trips are currently not possible for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter