Will your kids wear masks?

I think this is inline with CDC recommendations, so it doesn’t surprise me.
Could you link that? All I could find was that cloth coverings were recommended and it was dangerous and an absolute no for under two. To me, that doesn't sound like they are making any concrete age recommendations other then absolutely not below 2. Disney is the only place I've seen requiring 2 and up.

For many people, practice with wearing a mask is key. Along with finding a type of face covering, be it mask/kerchief/gaiter that feels best to you. I wouldn't put a mask on anyone who has never worn one and expect them to keep it on all day. I know the first time I put one on I was had to keep telling myself not to touch it, not to touch my face. I now have a few of the neck gaiters, and I wore one for 6 hours yesterday, no big deal.

I think wearing a mask is a learned behavior. For us women, it is like wearing a bra. At first, it is horrible.:laughing:

This is absolutely true. I remember being a third year medical student on my surgery rotation having to actively think about not touching my face constantly through the first week or so. By the end of the 8 week rotation, it was not a problem. Practice makes perfect!

Could you link that? All I could find was that cloth coverings were recommended and it was dangerous and an absolute no for under two. To me, that doesn't sound like they are making any concrete age recommendations other then absolutely not below 2. Disney is the only place I've seen requiring 2 and up.

Who Should Wear: People older than 2 years of age in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain
Who Should Not Wear: Children under age 2 or Anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

This is absolutely true. I remember being a third year medical student on my surgery rotation having to actively think about not touching my face constantly through the first week or so. By the end of the 8 week rotation, it was not a problem. Practice makes perfect!

I know, right? As a nurse, I used to wear an N95 for about 3 minutes per year when I did my fit test. When I had the occasional TB patient, it seemed like this big chore to wear it for 15 minutes in an isolation room. After being in a COVID hotspot, I can do extended wearing of that sucker for 10 hours. I don't LIKE it, but I'm so much better at it.

My 4 & 6 year olds have done better than expected wearing them at church, but I'm constantly having to fix the straps on our 4 year olds mask because it won't stay on her ears. I'll have to find some ear savers or another style mask for her, but the older kids tolerate them.
I'm so curious to see how this is enforced once the parks reopen. We aren't going until January, but we rented DVC points, so we are locked in as long as the resorts are open. Our 2 year old just stays home because he refuses to even try a mask on. Luckily we're traveling with family, so worst case scenario in my mind is that one set of adults will go to the park in the morning with the older kids while the other set of adults stays at the resort with our 2 year old and we switch mid-day. Not ideal, but if masks are required and we can't cancel our room, it seems like the best solution if this is a hard and fast rule for everyone ages 2+ still. I wonder though if kids that age will be required to wear them in strollers, or while in a baby carrier. My hopeful thought for our trip, if masks are required still, is that he can sit in the stroller between attractions and I can cover the stroller with a lightweight blanket or cover, and when he needs to be out, I can wear him in a carrier and again cover him when social distancing isn't feasible. DH suggested letting him carry his snack cup around so he can have refuge by eating constantly as another alternative :rotfl2:
I'm just glad we won't be among the first groups in the parks and have some time to learn from the experiences of others, it'll definitely be interesting to see how things work and change over the next 6 months!

Who Should Wear: People older than 2 years of age in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain
Who Should Not Wear: Children under age 2 or Anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html
To me the age 2 is not under the should or shouldn’t. That’s why it’s ridiculous. DS is 2. He has not “older than 2”.

Our oldest (9 years) does now for school and would probably for a chance to go to WDW. Our little one just turned 3 and I don't see him wearing a mask willingly, for WDW or anything else. Good thing we don't have a trip planned any time soon.

To me the age 2 is not under the should or shouldn’t. That’s why it’s ridiculous. DS is 2. He has not “older than 2”.
I can see how that could be confusing, but once he has passed his second birthday, he is 2 years and 1 day, 2 years and 1 month, etc., which is “older than 2.”
If the CDC didn’t think 2-year-olds should wear masks, the “should not wear” would be children under age 3 to encompass 2-year-olds.

My grandson is 5. He has been wearing masks since he came home from the hospital when he was 9.5 months old (first year anytime he went out and cold/flu season since). He does have a N95 mask but he wears it without complaining. But we won’t be going to Disney anytime soon ( had DL planned for October).

My 5 and 7 year old can wear them fine. I have a 2 year old that I haven't tried yet but we've only brought them to mostly empty parks where no one came within 10 feet of us and she's in a stroller.

At Disney you would have people putting their 15 year olds into strollers if they fit if they wouldn't have to wear a mask.

And then you have the problem of sit and stands. So would sitting be fine without a mask, but standing not? A blanket rule is much easier to enforce.

So true.

I have 3 two-year olds. My twins just turned 2 last month and our "older" son is turning 3 next week. Short answer: "yeah right". Just turned 2 year olds don't understand having their airways covered, don't have a means of communicating well enough let alone being able to alert us if they are having trouble breathing in it, still put everything in their mouths, don't understand keeping shoes/socks/hairties/etc on and ride in a stroller almost anywhere because they are still toddlers.

My 2 (almost 3) year old *may* be able to wear one for short periods of time, but definitely not several hours.

I have no issue wearing a mask when out in public, and I support it. But if they are going to make 2 year olds wear masks they might as well make everyone wear a mask. Why is an 1 year old at less risk of contracting Covid than a 2 year old? They aren't.

I have no issue wearing a mask when out in public, and I support it. But if they are going to make 2 year olds wear masks they might as well make everyone wear a mask. Why is an 1 year old at less risk of contracting Covid than a 2 year old? They aren't.

Unless things have changed, isn't the logic that by wearing a mask you're really protecting other people from your germs, rather than the opposite? I'm not sure if this still stands but I believe the initial thought was that children were carrying/passing COVID without showing symptoms, making it even more important that a toddler wears one since the toddler who touches everything and isn't aware of social distancing might be the source of the virus and in that sense even more important to have them covered. I think the 1 year old isn't any more or less at risk than the 2 year old, but it's likely not feasible and/or safe to have a 1 year olds mouth covered vs. a 2 year olds [obviously, though, I'm not a doctor... I'm thinking though about the recommendations that babies up to 1 do not have anything even near their face in a crib]. Their airways are smaller, right? I'm assuming by age 2 for most kids that would've resolved and that's the difference on why they are asking a 2 year old to wear one vs. a 1 year old.

Obviously Disney can't say no children under age 2 should visit, but it does seem, to me, unnecessarily risky to take your baby to Disney right now. I'll be interested to see how many people do when the parks reopen.

I have been practicing with my 2 year old, we don't go until first week of August. She is able to wear it much longer now than when she first started. Two is a huge milestone of changes though. I first started making her try the mask on at 2 and almost 3 months....she wasn't super receptive or super against it...so I just tried to get her to wear it walking around the block. For anyone who has a 2 year old and is going to try to go to Disney, practice at home! My DD will now wear it for about 2 hours. That doesn't sound like a ton of time ...but I'm hoping to make it up to 3 hours before our trip, then we will just have to do limited park time etc. Or go to the mask ' break area' for her. Good luck to everyone with the toddler mask wearing!🤞

At Disney you would have people putting their 15 year olds into strollers if they fit if they wouldn't have to wear a mask.

And then you have the problem of sit and stands. So would sitting be fine without a mask, but standing not? A blanket rule is much easier to enforce.
I’m small for an adult. Put me in a stroller and I don’t have to wear a mask!

I’m kidding, of course. I truly don’t disagree with the mask requirement. But it isn’t what I want to deal with at Disney.

A lady passed out while in line at Giant Eagle. Of course she and several others have filed lawsuits against the company. I have noticed that they were very strict when you walked in the door but things have changed. I've seen several people walking around the store without them and this is before we turned green. I'm just waiting for the first person to pass out while in line at Disney. As everyone knows it can be 100 degrees at time and standing for even a short period of time with a mask could equal a disaster. I'm not sure a 3 year old will know when they are becoming overheated which may cause some real problems. My sister and her family just returned from Universal. The kids had an ok time however they admitted they spent a lot of time drinking and eating(the only time the masks could be removed) They said the crowds were nonexistent which was nice but over half of everything was closed. Including store and food options. They only had 2 days and spent the rest of the time finding a beach where people were abiding by social distancing. Which they never found!!!! It is such a crazy time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts