Will your kids wear masks?

Rory607

DIS Veteran
If Disney requires masks, do you think your kids will be willing to wear them? My kids are 9 and 6, so old enough to understand why the mask is necessary. But I highly doubt they would wear them all day. We are not planning on Disney again until at least next spring or summer, but if masks are still required I don’t know that we would go.

My oldest is disabled and cannot wear a mask (or hat, sunglasses, shirt...). My youngest is 5 and wears a mask to the store already. Obviously she isn’t perfect but she understands the reasoning and can keep it on as well as many adults 🤦🏽‍♀️

I have a 2.5 and a 4.5 year old. I managed to get DS2 to wear a mask at a recent doctor's appointment, but that lasted all of 30 minutes tops and it wasn't hot out. To me this was a huge victory because I didn't think he would wear it at all. He won't wear a hat. DS4 loved the idea of the mask and begged to go "somewhere there is sickness" so he could wear it. He thought the mask was cool. He managed a quick in and out to a convenience store. Do I think they could wear masks in the hot sun at Disney all day? Probably not. I do think they could manage short spurts of mask wearing. We are supposed to go this summer if Disney reopens. At this point I'm leaning towards giving it a go even if there is a mask requirement (which I suspect there will be based on all the evidence) but to be honest it has me quite worried. I'm more worried about my kids keeping it on in outdoor spaces than air conditioned indoor spaces. I think DS2 could probably get away without one if it becomes too much of a struggle due to his age. I am going to wait to see what the modifications and cuts are when Disney announces reopening. The mask isn't what is going to break us per se, but is a deterrent for sure.

I haven't tried with my almost 4 year old, because we don't go anywhere. 🤷‍♀️

I showed her the ones I ordered, and she seemed to be interested in those.

My husband is of the mindset if masks are required it's probably still not safe(ish) for us to be traveling. So it's not so much the requirement of wearing a mask that's a turn off but a matter of why we're still wearing masks that is.

We're hoping to go late next april, roll over our refund into an upgraded trip.

I have a 2.5 and a 4.5 year old. I managed to get DS2 to wear a mask at a recent doctor's appointment, but that lasted all of 30 minutes tops and it wasn't hot out. To me this was a huge victory because I didn't think he would wear it at all. He won't wear a hat. DS4 loved the idea of the mask and begged to go "somewhere there is sickness" so he could wear it. He thought the mask was cool. He managed a quick in and out to a convenience store. Do I think they could wear masks in the hot sun at Disney all day? Probably not. I do think they could manage short spurts of mask wearing. We are supposed to go this summer if Disney reopens. At this point I'm leaning towards giving it a go even if there is a mask requirement (which I suspect there will be based on all the evidence) but to be honest it has me quite worried. I'm more worried about my kids keeping it on in outdoor spaces than air conditioned indoor spaces. I think DS2 could probably get away without one if it becomes too much of a struggle due to his age. I am going to wait to see what the modifications and cuts are when Disney announces reopening. The mask isn't what is going to break us per se, but is a deterrent for sure.
I’m impressed your 4 year old wore it through an entire appointment! I have ordered masks for my kids, but haven’t received them yet. My 6 year old is excited because he thinks he’ll look like a ninja (lol). But I predict the novelty of that will wear off quickly! I just imagine them messing with it constantly and I can’t imagine dealing with it at Disney. I don’t disagree with a mask requirement, but as a parent I don’t want to have to worry about it during our vacation.

DS just turned 2...short answer no way. I haven’t even tried b/c we don’t take him anywhere. But he won’t even let us wear sunglasses or a hat without trying to take them off of us.

I have a 10 year old (girl) and a 7 year old (boy). My daughter hates the masks and doesn’t want to wear it because she says it freaks her out. My son is okay with it and will wear one sometimes. We’ve mostly not left the house, but no way are we going to Disney if masks are still required for our rescheduled trip next May.

I’m an adult and don’t like wearing a mask. I find it hot, and it makes me very claustrophobic. I also read that getting the masks damp or wet, then takes away the point of it. This makes me wonder about all those pop up showers in Florida, the sweat from the heat, and the rides where you get wet. I just don’t get why they are requiring them outside. If it was just for inside shows/attractions, I could probably convince myself and kids to do it for that amount of time (because there would be an end point where they could take them off). I’m just sad because I’m scared that they’ll leave this policy in place, and then sadly we won’t go back.

My kids are getting used to masking up when we go places (especially when we visit their grandparents for an outside more-than-6-ft hangout). My 8-yr old daughter didnt like her first one but the second she is pretty happy about wearing (I think she sees it as another fun accessory). My 5 yr old son doesnt like the second, he likes the first, its so loose though... I am still trying to find one that fits him decently.

They understand the mask is the trade off for things they want to do (see grandparents mostly, but hopefully soon other things). That said we're wearing them for maybe 30-60 min, mostly outside in our cool MN spring weather. I don't know about wearing them all day, either, even if it's good weather.

We never go to Disney in summer anyway because we don't like the heat... so mask wearing in the heat is just not gonna happen because being there in the heat even without the mask isn't gonna happen.

I think the all-places-mask idea just recognizes that itll likely be difficult to be 6 ft away from other people outside during certain times of day. Given human nature, it's just easier for everyone if there is a clear directive (wear a mask) than to be like, wear a mask, but hey if its early morning and you're by splash mountain just hanging out and no one else is around that's OK but if its later in the afternoon and people are there you really should, you know, please?). I am quite curious how enforcement will go - so in that situation when there aren't many people around, if we take the masks off for a snack break are we ok? What if we take them off just to chill for a little while? Is it gonna be like, no mask and we boot you out of the park instantly or more flexible?

My kids are 9 and 6. We wear masks when they go out for walks to get them used to the idea since I think when schools reopen masks will likely be required anyway. My twins (6) do okay with them though the masks fall off their little ears sometimes. But my 9 year old has ADHD and it's harder for him. He's getting used to it, but he still doesn't like it. Still, I think any of my kids would happily tolerate it for a few hours at a time in order to visit a theme park again though.

DS just turned 2...short answer no way. I haven’t even tried b/c we don’t take him anywhere. But he won’t even let us wear sunglasses or a hat without trying to take them off of us.

Requirement for Disney is 3 and up.

We bought proper children's reusable face mask and our 6 and 3 year old wear them without issues. The designs help a little I think. Our 3 year old at least thinks he's cool with it on. Do they complain everyone now and then? Sure. But I remind them its that or back to the house.

Personally, I think the heat has alot to do with keeping it on.
I do not think I could do a late spring or summer day in WDW with a mask on.

My kids are well old enough to understand the rules, but would still rather not wear a mask all day--each for their own reason. And that's fine. We're willing to be flexible & patient, and if waiting to take our trip is the best way to be sure everyone has the best time possible, then that's what we'll do. :)

My kids are getting used to masking up when we go places (especially when we visit their grandparents for an outside more-than-6-ft hangout). My 8-yr old daughter didnt like her first one but the second she is pretty happy about wearing (I think she sees it as another fun accessory). My 5 yr old son doesnt like the second, he likes the first, its so loose though... I am still trying to find one that fits him decently.

They understand the mask is the trade off for things they want to do (see grandparents mostly, but hopefully soon other things). That said we're wearing them for maybe 30-60 min, mostly outside in our cool MN spring weather. I don't know about wearing them all day, either, even if it's good weather.

We never go to Disney in summer anyway because we don't like the heat... so mask wearing in the heat is just not gonna happen because being there in the heat even without the mask isn't gonna happen.

I think the all-places-mask idea just recognizes that itll likely be difficult to be 6 ft away from other people outside during certain times of day. Given human nature, it's just easier for everyone if there is a clear directive (wear a mask) than to be like, wear a mask, but hey if its early morning and you're by splash mountain just hanging out and no one else is around that's OK but if its later in the afternoon and people are there you really should, you know, please?). I am quite curious how enforcement will go - so in that situation when there aren't many people around, if we take the masks off for a snack break are we ok? What if we take them off just to chill for a little while? Is it gonna be like, no mask and we boot you out of the park instantly or more flexible?
I’ve also wondered how cast members will enforce a mask requirement. I see it leading to confrontations with people who don’t want to comply.

I’ve also wondered how cast members will enforce a mask requirement. I see it leading to confrontations with people who don’t want to comply.
At Universal it's been reported that Team Members aren't allowed to ask you to put a mask on, only managers.

My kids don't wear them. I don't take them to the grocery store with me so no reason for them to wear one. My daughter had to wear one to a medical appointment and hyperventilated. We have a trip in September and I feel like we'll be drinking a LOT of drinks throughout the day.

Both of my children will wear them. We have been to the beach a couple of times walking in the morning before they were opened fully, and this past week went to Target...my children's first outing into a store in 10 weeks. My DS11 complained a bit about wearing it, but my DD2( 2 and 5months exactly) put it on and didn't ask to take it off at all! I was incredibly surprised. I told her she had to wear it if she wanted to look at toys. My children will have zero problems wearing them if it means being at Disney! Although our normal pattern is to only go into the parks for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the evening....we are never there through the hottest part of the day.

My girls will be 11 and 13, but I think they will be uncomfortable in the Florida heat with masks. I hope that we don't have to wear them when we go again.

I don't have children, but what I see with friends with children is that it really depends on the behaviour of the parents. I have friends who complain about the masks constantly (regardless if the children are present), not wearing it, wearing it incorrectly etc. their children behave like their parents when it comes to the masks. The children of the friends who do not make a fuss are doing much better .

I think it's comparable to body image & dieting, how the parents talk about themselves and how they behave when they diet or food in general, influences how children behave around food.

I have 3 kids and realistically - no, I can't imagine them wearing them all day in a hot theme park, not a chance. I had to take my 9 year old to Wal-mart and she was constantly touching/tugging on/complaining about the mask. Kids will touch it non stop which really makes it worse then not wearing one at all IMO.

Daughter just turned 3, and I have to hide her mask because she wants to wear it All. The. Time. She loves the thing, if we take her somewhere and she wears it we have to bribe her with food to get her to willingly give it up. She gets a kick out of when we wear our along with her, if I take mine off for a moment she’s immediately “No mommy! Mask on!”

** edited to add that she’s got no real concept of the virus, she’s not scared of being infected if she doesn’t wear it, she just likes the mask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!