Wine drinkers..please help

KittyKitty

DIS Veteran
Hi

So I asked my SIL, 1st timer. where she wanted to eat when we go to WDW at spring break. All she cares about is that they have good wine (for dinner). I don't drink much, so I don't have experience on this subject.

It's doesn't need to be expensive, just good. I am planning to go to Jiko...................any other suggestions?

One she likes is Syrah(sp?) wine..any place have that?

Any help would be wonderful

Thanks
Susan:wave2:

Do you mean Shiraz - it is a type of red wine. I know you can buy some lovely South African wine at both Animal Kingdom Lodge, and at the shops in Harambe Village in AK. You can also buy wine in Epcot in Italy and Germany (mostly sweet after dinner type wines here). Now this is for drinking back in your room.

If you mean restaurants - plenty serve good wine. I'd say most resort restaurants serve nice wines - with some offering wine pairing with dinner. Go to WDWIG and check out the menus - wines will be listed.

FYI - kinda gross wine is supplied with the meal at Hoop-Dee-Do and the Luau!

California Grill has a nice long wine list and you can get any wine they have by the glass if you want. Artist Point offers wine pairings. Citricos has a nice list I believe. Really at any of the nicer resort restaurants, there is a decent selection.

I think Shiraz is the name for wines from Austria and other countries made with syrah grapes. Other places call these wines Syrah...including California vineyards....I think!

Artist Point has some very nice domestic wines, especially from the Oregon and Washington areas. Les Chefs de France also has nice wines. Just ask any waiter and they're willing to describe what they have to suit her tastes.

All of the delux hotels have fine wine menus. I would recommend getting a flight of different wines. A lot of places offer this. It's a great way to try different wines from a particular region.

Supringly enough, really good wine can be had lots of places in WDW.

California Grill is fantastic. Everything on their list can be ordered by the glass for 1/4 of the bottle price, which I love. Top notch selection.

Jiko has one of the largest selection of South African wines in North America-- definately put that on your list.

Artist Point has good Pacific Northwest wines.

Yachtsman's Steakhouse has some good reds on their menu, as befits a good steakhouse.

World Showcase Restaurants have good wines- Chefs de France comes to mind, Marrakesh had a good white and Le Cellier had a REALLY good white wine.

Any questions, let me know!
Solotraveler:earsboy:
(Bona fide food and wine lover)

Please tell her to try the "Guardian Peak" Shiraz-Cabernet blend at Jiko... It's AWESOME.

Syrah = Shiraz. It is the same grape, just known by different names around the wine world (many, many grapes have several names). The popular South African grape Pinotage was actually created from crossing Pinot Noir with Cinsault (The South African name for Cinsault was Hermitage), hence Pinotage. There are many, many great wine lists around WDW and many great selections. I have noticed in the past few years the wine lists have improved significantly. While not inexpensive, they are generally not the most expensive wine lists in the world. California Grill, Citrico's, Flying Fish (used to have a phenomenal Champagne selection), Jiko, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Narcoossees, Artist Point, etc... I think you get the idea. Better restaurants = better wines. If you are so inclined, most restaurants have reserve lists as well... Whichever restaurant you dine in, there will be suitable wines to accompany your meal.

Another vote for Californial Grill or Artist Point. Most any of the restaurants has a decent wine list, buy these two do an exceptional job of pairing the wine with the entree.

Jiko has a long list of South African wines, but we stay away from wines there for personal/moral reasons (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome relationship and crisis among the workers - they are paid with alcohol).

Don't be afraid to let your server make suggestions. Most of the high end servers are incredibly knowledgeable about their selections. We love to see what they come up with for us.

One restuarant I haven't seen listed yet is Palio's at The Swan. Nice Italian restuarant with an outstanding wine list.

Would just add that at the California Grill, they will pour a glass from just about any wine in thier inventory--at 1/4 the bottle price.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I can't go wrong.

You have helped tremendously. I feel a little more knowledgeable now on the subject.

This will give me a chance to try out all the nicer places. Always been a counter service person!

:sunny:

Susan

A syrah and a shiraz are the same thing...just different names for different places.

Our top picks for great wine with meal...

Artist Point
Flying Fish
Jiko

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter