Winter Camping

Bishoparc

DIS Veteran
Dumb question but we’re camping in TN this week for Thanksgiving. It’s gonna be below freezing a night or two. How do I handle camping and freezing temps? Drip the faucets just like at home? Our underbelly is insulated but wasn’t sure what else to do.

If you have full hookups and don't want your hose to freeze, you can drip the faucet. I've been out many times below freezing. Even if I have full hookups, I will fill the fresh water tank in the trailer (at least partially) just in case the supply hose freezes. That way you will still have water. Also, make sure your propane bottles are topped up. I have an electric fireplace that puts out pretty good heat, but the furnace still kicks on occasionally. My prior trailers didn't have any electric heat and a long weekend below freezing will run the inefficient RV furnaces pretty hard. I know many that Winter camp have small electric heaters so they can save propane.

Other than that, it should be just like camping in the Summer.

j

Heat tape.

I know I’m about as useful as.....just don’t ask me! Haha.

Hubby takes care of all that “stuff”.

I do recall one time we used heat tape and wrapped some of the lines.

Last edited:
Heat tape.

I know I’m about as useful as..... do just don’t ask me! Haha.

Hubby takes care of all that “stuff”.

I do recall one time we used heat tape and wrapped some of the lines.

Heat tape is a great answer. :banana: How come I now feel like Richard Dawson on Family Feud......:confused3

You can also use pipe insulation, the black foam type around your hose. But if you let your faucet drip, remember to open your gray tank valve, last thing you want is to have a flood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!