Winter Olympics

I'm trying to remember... have we ever had a really good ice skating pair?

Kitty & Peter Carruthers won the Silver in Sarajevo. Shortly, after that my Mom took me to Ice Capades and they were touring. She even let me buy a flower to throw on the ice. As a 8-9 year old I was star-struck.

Kitty & Peter Carruthers won the Silver in Sarajevo. Shortly, after that my Mom took me to Ice Capades and they were touring. She even let me buy a flower to throw on the ice. As a 8-9 year old I was star-struck.

Those two are the last I remember. But a look at records show Jill Watson & Peter Oppegard won bronze in Calgary in 1988. I don't remember that pair at all.

I'm trying to remember... have we ever had a really good ice skating pair?
?

The Carruthers in the 80s. Also Watson and Opegard in the 80s. We haven't medalled since.

Babilonia and Gardner were favored for Gold but had to withdraw due to an injury.

Lindsey got a Bronze!!!! yayyyyyy!! Good for her. Good to see her go out with a medal.

So glad she was on the podium. She has worked so hard. It was heartbreaking to see her cry... that it was her last downhill, that her body could not take it anymore, and how she loves it so. This lady is going to ache when she gets older...

BROKEN RIGHT ARM, November 2016

FRACTURES IN LEFT KNEE, February 2016

BROKEN LEFT ANKLE, August 2015

TORN LIGAMENTS IN RIGHT KNEE, ACL, MCL, BROKEN BONE IN RIGHT LEG, February 2013

CONCUSSION, February 2011

BRUISED RIGHT SHIN, February 2010

BRUISED LEFT FOREARM, December 2009

CUT RIGHT THUMB, February 2009

HYPER-EXTENDED RIGHT KNEE, ACL, MCL, February 2007

BACK INJURY, February 2006

I think I counted at least 5 surgeries...

And whoot!!! Diggins grabs the gold in team cross country!! Go Randall and Diggins!!

PYEONGCHANG_OLYMPICS_CROSS_COUNTRY_WOMEN_48393674.JPG

Last edited:
Nice win for Brady Leman (Can) in ski cross last night but the Chris Del Bosco (Can) crash was really scary to see. This is a picture of him in the air.
chris-del-bosco.jpg

And whoot!!! Diggins grabs the gold in team cross country!! Go Randall and Diggins!!

Yay! I didn't get to see this race, but I watched her last week while home sick with the flu. I was rooting for her as she pushed so hard each time.

But I agree & think NBC's coverage is really poor. I miss seeing the medal ceremonies. And they're not doing a lot of the backstories like they used to do. And they're not going out in South Korea & telling us about the host country. (They may be doing this kind of thing on the morning shows, but I'm not watching the morning shows.)

And, remember, how they would take a little time to show/demonstrate different aspects of the sports - like the difference between a triple toe loop & triple axle or how the skiers' wax will affect their speed?

I was thinking about how eons ago if the Olympics was on it was aired throughout the day and not just in the limited capacity that it is today. Coverage could be improved, as well as the commentators for some of the sports. It would be nice to see featurettes on past Olympians or medalists for each sport, and not those in the last 10 years. Today Sunday Morning (?) had a feature on Olympian skier Billy Kid (?) and it was nice, something along those lines would be great. There are so many athletes that we watched and cheered on over the decades that who knows where they are today.

So glad she was on the podium. She has worked so hard. It was heartbreaking to see her cry... that it was her last downhill, that her body could not take it anymore, and how she loves it so. This lady is going to ache when she gets older...

BROKEN RIGHT ARM, November 2016

FRACTURES IN LEFT KNEE, February 2016

BROKEN LEFT ANKLE, August 2015

TORN LIGAMENTS IN RIGHT KNEE, ACL, MCL, BROKEN BONE IN RIGHT LEG, February 2013

CONCUSSION, February 2011

BRUISED RIGHT SHIN, February 2010

BRUISED LEFT FOREARM, December 2009

CUT RIGHT THUMB, February 2009

HYPER-EXTENDED RIGHT KNEE, ACL, MCL, February 2007

BACK INJURY, February 2006

I think I counted at least 5 surgeries...
Anyone who has skied as long as she has has similar injuries. That's why they retire before they get to her age.

Nice win for Brady Leman (Can) in ski cross last night but the Chris Del Bosco (Can) crash was really scary to see. This is a picture of him in the air.

I had it on while getting ready this morning (I'm in Rwanda, so 8 hours ahead of EST, so it was live) and turned to the TV just as that crash happened. It did not look good. I was so happy to see him waving as he was being taken off.

Then I got back to the hotel and flipped on the TV just in time to see Leman getting his medal. Good timing.

Question though. After Leman got his medal, they did a montage of a bunch of other medal ceremonies from today. They had a few where there were four people (per medal) and it was two men and two women. I'm struggling to think of what event that would have been.

:rotfl2:Maybe super-rival siblings from a dysfunctional family! I am BITTER about the US beating Canada in curling! That's supposed to be our thing - y'all get most of the rest of the things. I'm telling mom...
sibling-rivalry.jpg

Whoops, that seems unbelievable. I'm behind on curling, but I was talking with my husband and daughter yesterday about how unreal it is that the Canadian teams came in as gold favorites with concern for the mixed doubles because it was new to them and the mixed doubles is the team who came right out and delivered. Depending on the event we've honestly been rooting harder for Canadians, Japanese, Koreans and my beloved Norwegians than we have our own teams, just don't feel a spark with the American teams.

Have to say that I'm so excited that the skier I picked before the Olympics just because of her name has delivered two completely unexpected silver medals, a first for her country in Alpine I think. Ragnihld Mowinkel, you rock! Come on back in four years and I'll be ready to root for you to take the gold.

That's what it is for me. I don't pay attention to the technical details. For me, it's all about the chemistry of the couples in ice dance. When I watch Tessa and Scott, they make me believe they're in love. I don't see the same chemistry with some of the other skaters, so while they maybe had an amazing skate, I'm just not feeling it.

The Shibutanis shouldn't bother to take the ice in that case.

I had it on while getting ready this morning (I'm in Rwanda, so 8 hours ahead of EST, so it was live) and turned to the TV just as that crash happened. It did not look good. I was so happy to see him waving as he was being taken off.

Then I got back to the hotel and flipped on the TV just in time to see Leman getting his medal. Good timing.

Question though. After Leman got his medal, they did a montage of a bunch of other medal ceremonies from today. They had a few where there were four people (per medal) and it was two men and two women. I'm struggling to think of what event that would have been.

Yes it looked like he was motionless for a few minutes.

I'm guessing the medal ceremony you say was the Biathlon Mixed Relay.

I do not get the Carolina Kostner love in her scores last night. She was marginal at best. No way should she be ahead of some of those other skaters.

Haven't watched the skating yet, but I was expecting that to be the case. She is a wonderful skater who has been so very good for so long. She's just never been able to reach the pinnacle. I suspect this may be her last Olympics and that there may be a lot of support for attempting to give her a "salute" for her incredible skating and the longevity if at all possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!