With Galaxy's Edge coming... what will happen to Star Tours?

It's Florida you are barely above see level and the ground more than 2 feet down is all sand there would be no possible way to build a tunnel especially under the foundations of other buildings

They could build some kind of sky bridge...that would work thematically. They are going to have such a huge demand for merch, keeping that little souvenir dump shop with the lightsaber, whatever stuff would give them room to sell additional stuff in SWGE.

I really hope they keep it for capacity. I'm not holding my breath.

I've had this exact thought about DL. Its such a small park to begin with...it does have tons of attractions to keep guests occupied, but in terms of just being able to simply enjoy the park and grab a snack - yikes.
It's even worse for someone like me who just doesn't care about Star Wars. All of the down sides without any of the up sides.

It's even worse for someone like me who just doesn't care about Star Wars. All of the down sides without any of the up sides.

I LOVE SW and I don't think it makes sense at DL. Yeah, sounds like WDW will be a better fit. At least hopefully all these expansions are going to more evenly distribute the WDW crowds across all the parks so MK will be more pleasant.

Retheming seems like the way to go (and the cheaper route).

While it is "just" a simulator ride (whose type is so 1990s), you'd think it could be quickly rethemed. Slap some new skins on the ride vehicles, throw in some new video and voila it's like a brand new attraction people will be itching to ride.

If they can change something like Tower of Terror at DL into a Sci-Fi Super Hero ride, then they can re-theme anything.

I am just surprised that they still haven't announced the "grand plan" for Hollywood Studios yet. I guess they want to focus on the positive of what is being added for a while rather than the shock of what is going NEXT. But if they did it like they did Great Movie Ride (basically announce the replacement at the same time you announce it going away), I think it would bring some more excitement.

Now if Iron Man was possible, that would make sense to me, is he cut off from being used in Orlando though?

yeah universal has the rights to iron man since he's part of the avengers "family", if star tours got rethemed here it'd have to be something else

I enjoy Star tours and I think the system works well for the ride. But imo they shouldn't try and force an ip on a system it makes no sense for. I'd be cool with them demoing that building and potentially backlot express (although I don't know if they can afford to lose a counter service) to create a ride that's more cohesive with an IP/potential land

I'm at a complete blank as to what they could retheme it to though? Wall-E?

As a simulator, it could be programmed as anything.

Virtual Monsters Inc Door Coaster
Sugar Rush or Cars racing experience
Big Hero 6 Baymax ride along
Wall-E trip from Earth to the Axiom
Indiana Jones (think the truck scene from Crystal Skull)
I'd even suggest a Guardians space ride had they not already announced it as replacing Ellen.

Do you know exactly which Marvel characters can be used at WDW? I know The Avengers, Spider-man, FF, and X-Men are off limits, but what about Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.?
Captain Marvel, yasss.

(she's my fave, had to).

In Florida, I would bet on Star Tours staying put -- especially since the park won't be able to afford closing yet another attraction. A lot of people will be visiting the park for the first time after Galaxy's Edge opens, and Star Tours can help spread the Star Wars traffic out a little more, easing a tiny bit of the burden on the new area. They can perhaps tweak the show / marketing a bit and sell it as a classic attraction, akin to "Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room" or "Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress." (Perhaps "George Lucas' Original Star Tours"?)

In California, though, Marvel is in play, and this problem gives Disneyland the perfect avenue for introducing Iron Man into Tomorrowland. You could have a new Iron Man ride film in Star Tours, and turn Innoventions into the Stark Expo. Then across the esplanade at DCA, you get a new Captain America attraction to complement the Guardians ride.

That's how I would do it, anyway :)

Once galaxies edge opens, they'll need to keep everything else Star Wars for the first year or so to help spread the crowds. Once the initial rush calmed they can then close Star Tours and launch bay, scrap the show and start work on the rest of the park

To be clear, Guardians and the lesser known properties (unfortunately that includes my girl Carol) are up for grabs in Disney World. Just not the ones represented at Universal.

Which is why the Avengers Monorail always had to be on a track that didn't run through a park... but could still exist. Also, is why the Guardians are allowed to come to Walt Disney World.

They could honestly (down the line) create attractions just featuring the properties they're allowed to represent - assuming the other movies are as successful. (Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant Man, and Guardians are all up for grabs!)

To be clear, Guardians and the lesser known properties (unfortunately that includes my girl Carol) are up for grabs in Disney World. Just not the ones represented at Universal.

Which is why the Avengers Monorail always had to be on a track that didn't run through a park... but could still exist. Also, is why the Guardians are allowed to come to Walt Disney World.

They could honestly (down the line) create attractions just featuring the properties they're allowed to represent - assuming the other movies are as successful. (Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant Man, and Guardians are all up for grabs!)
I can see them making some small concessions to those properties but I don't think it's enough to cobble together a land like in DCA

How funny would it be if they put Wall-E in there instead of putting it in one of the two spaces it belongs, Future World or Tomorrowland.

I can see them making some small concessions to those properties but I don't think it's enough to cobble together a land like in DCA
Agreed. I don't see marvel land at WDW but I could see a small presence at each park. I joked in another thread about a Black Panther/Wakanda attraction at AK, but could totally see this happening if the movie is successful. Along with GOTG at EPCOT, we could see other minor characters at HS and MK at some point.

Wouldn't bother me if it went away, I can't ride simulator rides, the only exception being Soarin and I don't ride it now cause the Eiffel Tower is not supposed to lean. We rode Star Tours last week because we hadn't done it in years and couldn't remember if it was really that bad. We road FOP and my son loved it (me not so much again with the simulator, add glasses that won't stay on my head and it being at just the right distance that I can't see with or without my glasses, the front pressing on my sternum causing my reflux to act up) so we thought let's try it. We both got off the ride saying, nope not again, remember now why we didn't ride it. I can't ride RnRC because the take off bounces my head around no matter how I try to brace it and I get off not only sick but in pain so with the closing of GMR, I'm left with ToT and TSMM as rides. I do love the shows so when I go solo I watch those but HS, which used to be my second favorite park after Epcot, is becoming my least favorite park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!