Without Restaurants, How Do Guests Eat While Vacationing?

You'll be able to book restaurants at 60 days. Maybe not everything will be open but there will be plenty to eat I feel.
I wish they would release what will be open so I can budget accordingly we are so use for the dining plan but we will take what we were going to pay for 2 ppl for 9 days on ddp and use that to eat.
Right, what will be open?

Disney cancelled reservations.

Days later they notified people of those cancellations.

What prevents Disney from doing this again?

Right, what will be open?

Disney cancelled reservations.

Days later they notified people of those cancellations.

What prevents Disney from doing this again?

Nothing prevents them from doing it again. And if things get bad they may have to. Say there is an outbreak among CMs they could just shut things down. Which is 100% the responsible thing to do.

You know cause in case you hadn’t noticed there is a pandemic going on and nobody can predict what is going to happen

Honestly with all the things going on in the world at this very moment, dining reservations getting cancelled is what you decide to get mad about?

I'm not too worried. We are going on our vacation with or without dining reservations. If Disney does not have the ability to feed us then we will travel offsite. We had only planned on getting a few groceries for our room but depending on which direction this fluid situation goes we may get more food for the room.The good news is my budget for food while at Disney will probably go way down especially if we eat offsite.

Yeah. I was thinking that too. I wonder if they’ll have restrictions on that.

If they let you.

Resort hoping may be harder to inforce a restriction on at Quick Service locations. Unless they have a security checkpoint scanning Magicbands at bus depots, and confirm with magic bands at the register before ordering (which magic bands don't actually do at POS in dining locations, only looks for charging privileges, not resort locations). CMs can't remember, let alone know, every face that is supposed to be in a given resort. They would have to have a heck of a lot more CMs and tablets floating around to inforce such a restriction. Even if they did restrict dining at resort quick service locations to their guests only, magic bands and payment aren't checked until after the order is taken, by then damage done. May as well take the money and let them have their food. You can always wish them a sideways, "Have a magical day".

Resort hoping may be harder to inforce a restriction on at Quick Service locations. Unless they have a security checkpoint scanning Magicbands at bus depots, and confirm with magic bands at the register before ordering (which magic bands don't actually do at POS in dining locations, only looks for charging privileges, not resort locations). CMs can't remember, let alone know, every face that is supposed to be in a given resort. They would have to have a heck of a lot more CMs and tablets floating around to inforce such a restriction. Even if they did restrict dining at resort quick service locations to their guests only, magic bands and payment aren't checked until after the order is taken, by then damage done. May as well take the money and let them have their food. You can always wish them a sideways, "Have a magical day".

True. Once you're there. You're there.

I was just thinking they won't make it easy for you. I figure there is a possibility they'd turn you away if you were driving to a resort and didn't have a dining reservation. I know they do that now to an extent at some of the more popular deluxe resorts, but it might possibly become an official rule for now at all resorts.

True. Once you're there. You're there.

I was just thinking they won't make it easy for you. I figure there is a possibility they'd turn you away if you were driving to a resort and didn't have a dining reservation. I know they do that now to an extent at some of the more popular deluxe resorts, but it might possibly become an official rule for now at all resorts.
I doubt it. But if it happens, it will be short-lived. As things change that might be the first thing removed if put in place. Those restaurants thrive on locals taking advantage of their availability.

Naturally this is all speculation at the moment.
I think if there is restrictions on resort hopping it may be that only guests staying at Disney resorts can eat at other resorts. Guest who are staying off site may not be allowed to. This would also prevent these guests filling up transportation. They can easily check before the get to the bus stop by scanning the magic bands or at the exit at International gate.
I have to be honest, if they ban resort hopping, even to the stores, I will have to seriously consider cancelling as that is one of my biggest pleasures at WDW.

That may be harder if you are in the parks or not really wanting to eat at the same quick service restaurant for multiple days of a trip. I am at the Contemporary and I like Contempo Café but after a few days of it, I am really no longer looking forward to the same sandwich.

That's like the best possible place to have that problem though. Some of the best resort quick service is a short monorail or boat ride away from CR. I'd be much more concerned if staying around Crescent Lake tbh.

I'm a planner so the ADR cancellations is driving me a bit batty, but I'm also flexible enough that I know we'll eat wherever and whenever we can. Restaurant options will not make or break my family. It just might take a bit more creativity in meal planning and that's ok. It's vacation, and we might find ourselves trying new things.

I assume Disney will have restaurants open and take only walk ups. Once the restaurant reaches capacity, guests wanting to get in will have to wait for the next table available.

I've been watching a lot of Survivorman recently, so I think setting plenty of traps will work. You can't hold up a french fry without a duck coming out of the bushes in normal times, with the parks being empty so long I'm sure they are famished for human food. And, well, if I happen to catch Donald, many would say he had it coming...

I've been watching a lot of Survivorman recently, so I think setting plenty of traps will work. You can't hold up a french fry without a duck coming out of the bushes in normal times, with the parks being empty so long I'm sure they are famished for human food. And, well, if I happen to catch Donald, many would say he had it coming...
This is the real reason why WDW needed an extra month and a half to open the parks. DVC guests are being used to scair off the perimeter critters the rest of the way. 😂

Plenty of local supermarkets, take out and restaurants
We won't have a car and rely on Disney transportation. Do you know if Orlando's Instacart, etc are overloaded already due to people staying at home for COVID? They are overwhelmed in our area.

We won't have a car and rely on Disney transportation. Do you know if Orlando's Instacart, etc are overloaded already due to people staying at home for COVID? They are overwhelmed in our area.
There is a Walmart very close to Disney at Old Lake Wilson Road or the Publix at Celebration that are not going to cost too much by a taxi. I prefer Publix, so, I'll be heading down there for my groceries if Instacart isn't available

There are LOADS of wild birds everyday, in tomorrow land. Be sure to have a small pack, plastic bags, and a heavy object. STUN the bird, toss it into your pack, and slowly roast it over the room provided Iron :).

(JOKE - I stole this from an old Dilbert Comic).

Yes, our plans fell through and now we have to make new ones. Too bad for us. We're the lucky ones who still have the vacation time and money to even consider going to Disney World. Given that there are 100,000 dead and 15% unemployment, if the only toll a worldwide pandemic takes on me is that I have to make new reservations, I can't complain.

Yes, Disney cancelled our carefully planned ADRs, the ones we got up at 7am to make 180 days out. Disney is hamstrung by the reality of COVID-19, just like the rest of the real world. If the state of FL says they have to operate at 50% capacity, then that's what they have to do. If they have pre-existing reservations that take up more than 50% of a given restaurant, then the only way to bring it down to the legal limit is to discard all the of reservations and start over. And they DID announce it first.

And yes, Disney will continue to change the rules without notice, again because they have to. As we get new info about the virus, and as Florida implements new rules for its businesses, Disney will adapt. And so will we. Take a deep breath, friends, and maintain perspective.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I live New Jersey where we have almost 9000 cases in my county and it’s not a populated part of the state with almost 900 deaths. As of now, I can’t even go to Florida technically.

NJ will just begin to open non-essential retail shops and restaurants will get to have outdoor dining in a couple of weeks. So, I look a Disney’s approach as very on point. Thousands of guests from all over the United States. They have a lot of ball to juggle. It will be a step by step approach, which I am sure they want to get right. They want us to come back but they want to do it right.

I have a reservation for November that I just made. I will be on these boards waiting to hear what Disney has planned. I also will be curious how everything folds. But I will accept and work around whatever they offer.

I wish everyone much luck and fun this summer. 👍🏻👍🏻🙏🙏🙏.

There are LOADS of wild birds everyday, in tomorrow land. Be sure to have a small pack, plastic bags, and a heavy object. STUN the bird, toss it into your pack, and slowly roast it over the room provided Iron :).

(JOKE - I stole this from an old Dilbert Comic).
Quite a few rabbits too. Rabbit stew mmm🐇

Full-service Resort Restaurants for which Cast Members have been recalled to work
Sanaa
Trattoria Al Forno
The Wave
Grand Floridian Cafe
Olivia's
Kona Cafe
Topolino's Terrace
Whispering Canyon
Beaches and Cream

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts