WOC Dining Package or Dessert Party?

Hello everyone!
I will be in LA in two weeks with my s/o, and looking to visit Disneyland on the 17th for my birthday. I was hoping to do the MSEP BB package, but the only time available was at 8:50 - meaning I`ll probably miss out on the fireworks. :sad1:
It's our first time at Disneyland as adults and first time doing a dining package, so everything is a bit of a blur other than what I've read up on disboards.

What are the chances of times becoming available in these next two weeks? If not, what would you recommend for dinner?

I have a cc dining package booked for woc for another day, but now I`m heavily debating the dessert party because of fly girl's post. :)

Any help is appreciated!

Keep checking, as the day nears people cancel. We switched days and got a 4:45pm dinner slot for BB.

And sorry I swayed you ... but we're still talking about it so we loved it! :love:

hi @SorcererPanda ! we just did the dessert party last wednesday and, like @fly girl , highly highly recommend it!

we got there super early (8p) because i had read in another thread that people were already lined up by then, but when we arrived there was no one else. we waited quite a long while and kept asking different CMs whether we were at the right place. they said yes, just wait there (pointing to a random spot near the foot of the bridge). we looked for the sign someone posted elsewhere but didn't see it anywhere, so were somewhat bewildered. eventually a CM brought over a podium (see picture below). then they started putting tape on the ground to delineate where the dessert party line should form. people started arriving, and we were first in line so i was happy we got there early:

IMG_1206.jpg

then some CMs brought over the sign:
IMG_1209.jpg

they put it into a hole in the ground, flipped on the switch, and tada, WOC dessert party:
IMG_1210.jpg

if i remember correctly we were let in around 8:45-8:50. this was the peaceful view of the area when we first sat down:
IMG_1212.jpg

then we (guests w/o allergies) were each given one of these:
IMG_1214.jpg

here's the menu:
IMG_1225.png

they even made a special plate for DD, who has several food allergies (dairy, nuts, seafood). since she was able to eat everything safely, she was quite happy. :) (EDIT: See picture of her plate two posts below. I emailed special.diets@disneyland.com about a week before departure, filled out and sent back the Guest Allergy / Dietary Request Form they forwarded in their reply, and was grateful they were able to accommodate our request.)

the table shared this:
IMG_1217.jpg

here's our view after the non-dessert-party folks were let in:
IMG_1222.jpg

i remember someone here recommending the high-top tables. the CM who checked us in asked whether we wanted to sit in the front or back row, both of which were high-tops. we hesitated, then chose to go with the front row because my kids are not fully-grown so i didn't want their view to be blocked. that was a good choice.

here are some additional photos from the show:

IMG_1228.jpg

and yes, i could feel the heat from that fire all the way back here!

IMG_1231.jpg

the photos really don't do the show justice. the colors were wonderful.

have a great time whichever way you decide to go, @SorcererPanda! :)

thanks also to everyone who recommended doing the dessert party. this was awesome and we would totally do it again. you couldn't beat the view and the comfort of those chairs after a loooooong day of walking. what a great way to end the day!!

p.s. @bcwife76 hey here's a mini review! ;)

Last edited:
jtba -- the photo of the plate with all the fruit on it ... was that for your child with allergies? Do you have a photo of the full plate? That actually looks pretty good. It would be nice to have some fruit other than grapes along with all the pastries.

jtba -- the photo of the plate with all the fruit on it ... was that for your child with allergies? Do you have a photo of the full plate? That actually looks pretty good. It would be nice to have some fruit other than grapes along with all the pastries.

no, that's for the non-allergy guests. my DD got this one:
IMG_1216.jpg

That raspberry-filled shortbread is totally yummy. Everything else is good, too, but that - YUM!

So I gave in and purchased tickets for the dessert party. I figured I can try it at least once. It will be better for me as I can't stand in long lines or through an entire show due to my knee. I'm looking forward to this experience.

While DH and I love the CCR viewing area best overall, we'll be doing the Dessert Party again later this summer as a treat for my parents. They haven't seen WOC since it first debuted, and I want them to have seats this time!

So I gave in and purchased tickets for the dessert party. I figured I can try it at least once. It will be better for me as I can't stand in long lines or through an entire show due to my knee. I'm looking forward to this experience.

great choice. have the best time! :)

Hmmm ... looks like saying someone in the party is non-dairy might get a decent fruit plate. We may try that. My kids love fruit but actually aren't keen on all the pastries.

That allergy plate looks great! I've got an egg allergy but I usually just trade stuff within my family. I'm totally telling them next time :D

So I reserved the dessert party for August 6th. The time on the reservation says 8:15. Is that what time we are supposed to go line up?

So I reserved the dessert party for August 6th. The time on the reservation says 8:15. Is that what time we are supposed to go line up?

Some people line up earlier than that, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Everyone with a reservation will have a seat, so you could still show up later and not worry about being left out. We shared a table in the front row with someone who showed up 5 minutes before the show started. Great seat, great view, no wait. We showed up much earlier because I had some special dietary needs noted on our reservation and wanted to make sure that everything was taken care of.

We also did the Dessert Party last week. It was a splurge for our family of four, but I am glad we did it. We arrived early before the podium was up. The CM said to come back later and that no one lined up early. I laughed and said we'd be back. We visited the restroom and when we returned (maybe 10 minutes later) there was a podium, tape on the pavement, and about 5 families waiting ahead of us. I was a little peeved at the CM who lied directly to my face. We were able to get a high top table in the second row. But, I agree with the others who said there is not a bad view in the entire area. Both my 12 and 15 year old girls were given the souvenir glasses without even asking. We ate all the bread, cheese and grapes, but took most of the desserts back to our room in a nice take out box.

It was great having a seat and since my whole family is on the shorter side, it was nice having an unblocked view. I would definitely do it again.

The CM said to come back later and that no one lined up early. I laughed and said we'd be back. We visited the restroom and when we returned (maybe 10 minutes later) there was a podium, tape on the pavement, and about 5 families waiting ahead of us.

agreed! i had read here that people line up quite early (i remember specifically one person saying s/he arrived at 7:45 and there were already people in line), so we actually got there at 7:30. but it was so early that i felt somewhat sheepish, so we went to the bathroom then hopped on the little mermaid twice before returning at 8. still no one in sight, but i got a little nervous, so we stood there and waited and waited and waited. based on the timestamp on my photos, they brought out the podium around 8:05, did the taped lines at 8:10, then the was placed in the ground at 8:14 and lit at 8:25.

the rest of the story is up above. ;)

glad you had a great time as well!

which would be recommended WOC dessert package or Fantasmic Dessert? we will be up the week before Christmas and would like to do one of these options to avoid standing in lines for hours. We will be a group of 4 two adults and 2 kids 5&7 taking into account the show/and food which one is the better option?

which would be recommended WOC dessert package or Fantasmic Dessert? we will be up the week before Christmas and would like to do one of these options to avoid standing in lines for hours. We will be a group of 4 two adults and 2 kids 5&7 taking into account the show/and food which one is the better option?
No info is available yet for the Fantasmic packages. Not sure if they will offer dessert, just dinner, or both. But at this point, I think Fantasmic is going to be a very hot commodity for some time, so I'll probably guess that one. However, the show hasn't even debuted yet so no idea how it will be received (likely high demand regardless).

No info is available yet for the Fantasmic packages. Not sure if they will offer dessert, just dinner, or both. But at this point, I think Fantasmic is going to be a very hot commodity for some time, so I'll probably guess that one. However, the show hasn't even debuted yet so no idea how it will be received (likely high demand regardless).
I completely agree with @mom2rtk Despite the fact that we have no idea what the Fantasmic packages will be at this point, Famtasmic will likely be in high demand this year! If I was planning on seeing both Fantasmic and WOC I would do the package (assuming there is one) for Fantasmic.
We are going in August and are not planning on seeing Fantasmic. But it will be DS first time seeing WOC and we are only there for 2 days so that is why we are doing the dessert package for WOC.

I caved and booked the dessert party for WOC. The pictures were so helpful! With the anniversary/summer crowds, and celebrating my birthday, I will definitely appreciate having a seat and not being in the crows. Thanks for the help @jtba and @fly girl :-)

I caved and booked the dessert party for WOC. The pictures were so helpful! With the anniversary/summer crowds, and celebrating my birthday, I will definitely appreciate having a seat and not being in the crows. Thanks for the help @jtba and @fly girl :-)

it is a splurge but totally worth it. enjoy and happy birthday! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter