Wonder 12/13-12/17 Problems and Issues

E

erikthewise

We took a 3-day Wonder Cruise, 12/13/01-12/17/01. We spent four days at WDW beforehand (Polynesian), but not as part of a package. We had originally tried to book a 4/3 land/sea package, but at the time of our booking, the only resort available was Dolphin/Swan. Since we didn’t want to stay there, we ended up booking the two components separately and saving bundles of money.

Overall we had a great time. Please keep that in mind as this report concentrates on the problems we had. We were told this cruise had 2300 passengers, so I guess it was just about full. We were a party of four: myself, my wife, and two boys ages 8 and 5.

(1) In spite of obsessive preparation, I was not at all prepared for what happens when you arrive at the port with a rental car. I had expected to park first, but the parking lot is marked “Day Parking” and a left-hand turn lane marked “Guest Drop-Off”, which was confusing. I think taking that left-turn lane was the only option; I’m still not sure. The lengthy eight-step process that followed was not expected (details on request). We finally boarded the ship about an hour after arriving at the port.

(2) The rooms need to have printed instructions on how to lock the room safe and the veranda door, as neither is intuitive. After four days of using room keys that are inserted stripe down, who would guess that the safe only operates with the card stripe up? I had to call to find this out. It took a full day to figure out that the veranda door doesn’t actually lock unless you rotate upper lock AND set the door handle horizontally; this is not appreciated when we’re trying to keep small children from going on the veranda.

(3) The beverage cooler takes almost 24 hours to cool something; but it was still welcome. We brought 12 water bottles and 12 diet cokes on board with us and were very glad we did.

(4) We had early seating for dinner. We planned to substitute Palo for Parrot Cay, but were given the only rotation that would have prevented that, eating at Parrot Cay the first night. Since the Oceaneer’s Club and Lab activities didn’t start until 7:00 and we wanted to eat at 6:00, we were forced to change dining rotation. We ended up eating at Animator’s Palate the first night.

(5) The music in Animator’s Palate was too loud, so loud that we had difficulty communicating with our servers.

(6) We ate lunch at Cookies BBQ on Castaway Cay. The burgers there were excellent! A minor disappointment was that I saw someone eating mango and couldn’t find any at Cookies. It wasn’t until we were leaving that I saw the fruit stand that is just shipward of Cookies. We had approached from other side on returning from the adult beach and you don’t see the fruit stand from that direction.

(7) We saw all three of the shows. I liked “Hercules: the Muse-ical” every bit as much as “Disney Dreams”. The Muses and Meg in our show were professional-quality, as good as in the original, better for being real. Hades was also very good. “Disney Dreams” was also very good but Anne-Marie and Peter Pan in our show were not the standouts that some of the Hercules cast were. “Who Wants To Be a Mouseketeer” has potential, but suffers greatly for the fact that contestants are chosen randomly.

(8) Each of the first two mornings I went to the Fitness Center at 7:00AM to use a treadmill. The equipment there is first-rate and it’s not too busy at this time; there are 6(?) treadmills, at least one step machine and a limited selection of weights and other machines. In the absence of bridge tours this is also the only way to get a look at the bridge. In retrospect I wish I had changed and showered at the Fitness Center instead of in my room; they have a very nice locker room with special showers. A sauna is part of the locker room complex. As far as I can tell there is no extra charge for use of the locker room/sauna though I can’t be sure since I didn’t use it.

(9) I was disappointed to find that Scoops served only soft-serve “ice cream”, and only from noon to 6. There should be someplace to get honest ice cream until late night. If they’re only going to have soft-serve, it should be called “Poops” instead of “Scoops”.

(10) The second night we ate at Palo. I wore a nice jacket but no tie As it turned out I was better dressed that a lot of men there; the “tie density” was probably no more than 50%. The dinner was excellent and our server was top notch.

(11) I was confused about the gratuity situation at Palo and found it necessary to ask the head server about it; I’m still not sure I understand it. The $10 we were charged, he explained, did not go to solely to our server but was split equally among the Palo staff. Elsewhere I’ve also read that it goes to our regular servers as compensation for our absence, but that makes no sense as they would not suffer under recommended tipping. It seems that to express appreciation for excellent service you need to add a further gratuity to your server at Palo. We did so, but I think a lot of people are under the impression (as I was) that they had already paid their gratuity.

(12) The menus at both Palo and Triton overuse alcohol in cooking. Yes there are nonalcoholic entrees, but they tend to be the less desirable ones. I was forced to forego first and second entrée choices because they used alcoholic sauces and apparently were prepared en masse so I could not get them without the sauce (or so I was told).

(13) We took advantage of a special 3:00 showing of Monsters, Inc in the Walt Disney Theatre (rather than the Buena Vista where other movies were shown), and of a matinee performance of Disney Dreams. Both were apparently added showings due to the popularity of these shows and were greatly appreciated.

(14) It takes time to take care of loose ends on the last day! With Castaway Cay, Disney Dream, packing, and the debarkation talk, there is little time left over for dealing with gratuities, photos, etc.

(15) They will ask you to pay $45 in advance for a set of 5 photos, which is not a good gamble as you may not have time to get back there to select them or get a refund!

(16) If you have first seating, you are off the boat by 7:45. The second seating for breakfast begins at 8:00 and the first seating has nowhere else to go. No one ever suggested that we would be off that early. No harm done, but it would’ve been good to know in advance.

We went on the 3 day Wonder the week before you. We had tremendous difficulty with the parking situation, but it was explained that since 9/11 tha security and all that was drastically changed. My father was in a wheelchair and I couldn't even drive in to drop him off at the entrance to the terminal. But the CM's were very nice in the parking lot, and radioed over security who arrived in a cushman and took all of us (wheelchair for dad and all) right over. Like the airport delays, we understood.

Our safe and door had instruction labels, perhaps yours might have been pulled off or something. I'm sure once you pointed it out, the cabin steward would have had maintenance personnel on the ship take care of it. With our shower handle falling off, they had it fixed in a couple of hours.

I beleive the more "formal dressers" are on the 7 night cruise, and not the 3 & 4 day cruises. Disney should do more stating that jackets are "suggested" and not "required", although I did not feel out of place in my sport coat in Tritons. Also, not once did I see anyone dressed shabbey in any of the dining rotation.

I had no problem getting my Chilean Sea Bass without the champagne sauce. Perhaps it was your server that was either not sure or something.

Understand with a cruise ship, that they have to have the entire ship turned around by 11:30 a.m. for 2300+ more new passengers, and it takes time to disembark so many people. Our dining server explained this to us very clearly so we had a good understanding in the morning.

I appreciate your thoughts and just thought I'd share some of mine. I've been on several cruises, and Disney is, in my opinion, one of the finest for a family cruise (we had 16 total --ages 7 thru 71). The DIScussion boards have to be the greatest vacation planning aid I've ever seen. Here, you can get honest, sincere reports. I hope you enjoy your next vacation, be it Disney or whatever.

firemanmark,

Thanks for your responses. As I said, we had a very good time overall, and many of my items would be better labeled "imperfections" than actual problems. None of them even came close to spoiling our trip. I mention them in the hope that other cruisers will be a little better informed.

After my server has already asked the kitchen about one alcoholic dish and reported that it cannot be prepared without, I am not inclined to ask the same question about a second dish. I think that's how I missed out on the sea bass. Next time(!) I'll be sure to ask about it.

Some of my comments, esp (1) and (16), were originally directed to the people who prepare the momental 61-page Disney Cruise Guide. What I meant was that none of the information I read before the trip gave any hint one would be off by 7:45; the cruise director was certainly up front about it.
Likewise the delay in boarding would have less stressful had I known about it in advance.

We were on the same cruise as you. It was our first and hopefully not our last.
1) I agree that the thought of getting of the boat that early was not even considered. We ended up waiting about 25 minutes for our limo in the parking lot.
2) We were totally disappointed in the dolphin excursion. We ended up waiting almost an hour on the boat and then in the parking lot to be ushered by someone who didn't even work for disney. Although we were told to follow the blue smurfs but off the boat they told us to follow this other person.

Lunch on blue lagoon was disqusting. It amounted to 2lbs of beans and rice and your choice of six green beans and overcooked fish, chicken or beef. But nothing to drink. They were pushing us to buy the bottle water on the boat to take with us. We drank 3 bottles on the pier before we even left to go on the ferry. It would of cost our family of 5 $40 to buy and carry our water to blue lagoon.

I bought water there and it came in 1/2 gallon jugs Oh that's nice to carry with you.

3) They tell you over and over not to carry money to CC but one poor woman needed a tampon in the bathroom quess what? it takes quarters. The guest services man told her to ask a castmember if he had change? How stupid is that? She had to hike back to the boat. The food was marginal there if you ask me.

4) You have to guard your floats always, on two seperate occasions, kids walked right up and tried to take them while I was sitting next to them. We had already two taken and remained unfound.

5) I would recommend that if your doing a short cruise and doing the parks. Take a seperate bag for the parks. You won't have to pack and unpack everything so many times.

All in all it was a great time.

Originally posted by erikthewise
“Who Wants To Be a Mouseketeer” has potential, but suffers greatly for the fact that contestants are chosen randomly.

I found this quote interesting. What would you suggest as an alternative to a random selection? Auditions prior to the show, like real game shows hold? Maybe I didn't understand your point.

As far as disembarkation goes, your comments give me an opportunity to emphasize something I should have done in my own trip report. Since we've cruised three times now, we learned from previous experience. We have always done the early seating and experienced the same problem you did on our first cruise. Since then, we've chosen to eat at Topsiders at our leisure, allowing us to leave the ship on our own schedule. Granted, Topsiders is only continental on the last morning, but given the choice of waking up so early and getting off too early, this is a great alternative.

I also was on the same cruise! And we also did the dolphin encounter. I guess that different people like or dislike or notice different things. I knew that we would be getting off the boat that early, in fact I was counting on it as our plane left at 11:15am. I liked the lunch at Blue Lagoon Island, my dh and I are vegatarians and thought the rice and beans to be very good. I did agree about not providing something to drink with lunch. I thought that they should of, instead of making you buy something to drink.

1Karen, I'm sorry you were totally disappointed in the dolphin excursion. We really enjoyed it. I do agree with you about having us wait on the boat and then again on the pier. And I guess we were lucky, noone tried to take our floats and we left them alone quite abit. It was also our first cruise and we can't wait to do another one!

Sandy,

I don't claim to have a "fix" for "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer". I just feel that it is less entertaining for the audience to watch people who struggle with the easy questions, have no clue on somewhat harder ones, have little confidence, are silent except for their answers, and bail out at the first sign of trouble. In spite of this it's still fun and worth going to, but easily the weakest of the three shows.

One possible improvement might be to just have people drop their name/room# in a box if they WANT to be in the hot seat. I suspect much of the audience does not, and are just there to watch, but are too shy to say so when randomly selected.

I actually didn't mind at all getting off at 7:45, I just think it would be nice to know in advance so one can make plans.

What a great source of info. Thanks guys! I would like to know, if possible, the procedure for parking. We are taking the AutoTrain and arriving at 8:30 a.m. (hopefully). I would like to know ahead of time what I am in for. We will be parking our car at the terminal.

Thanks!

If you arrive by 10:30 or 11:00 there shouldn't be much of a line. Follow the signs to the terminal and get in the left turn lane that says "guest dropoff" or "guest dropoff and parking". Be sure to have your document packages ready as they will ask to see them before letting you in. Also have your checked bags ready to go with luggage tags filled out and on the bags. After checking bags one of you can park your car across the street and walk back across the street.

Now you're ready to enter the terminal. Have your document and passports/birth certificates and photo IDs ready as you will be asked for each of these once or twice before boarding the ship. Be aware that registration lines move slowly but that may not be a problem if you arrive early.

Be aware that staterooms may not be ready until 1:15.

Have a great time!

Originally posted by DisneyPoly
What a great source of info. Thanks guys! I would like to know, if possible, the procedure for parking. We are taking the AutoTrain and arriving at 8:30 a.m. (hopefully). I would like to know ahead of time what I am in for. We will be parking our car at the terminal.

Thanks!

If your schedule at all allows you to take the autotrain to get you in the day before, I strongly recommend it. The autotrain frequently does not run on time. We took it down for our 11/24 cruise. We had to take the Friday train, since we wanted to spend Thanksgiving with our family. The train ran four hours late, due to a problem with a train in front of us, in the middle of the night. We pulled into Sanford at 12:15pm anddidn't get our car until 1:30. While we made it to the ship on time, the anxiety was not worth it. Any other time of the year, we would have gone down the day before.

gometros ... I was afraid of that. On our first AutoTrain trip, we arrived in Lorton, only to be told to return 2 hours later. Unfortunately someone had died (of a drug overdose) on the train heading northbound and because they were crossing state lines, an investigation had to take place. We never departed Lorton until 6:00 p.m. and therefore didn't arrived into Sanford until noon. We've taken subsequent trips and only had a problem once on the northbound train.

We originally were going to take the 3 night cruise, which leaves on Thursday. We were to arrive in Disney on Sunday, spend 4 nights at the Dolphin and then drive to the terminal on Thursday for the 3 night cruise. We then wanted to add one night at the back end, since it was going to be Mother's Day.

After reading many reports about 3 night not being enough, I thought it best to switch to the 4 night departing on Sunday and adding the 4 nights at the end, consecutively. If we take the train on Fri. it's another day off for the kids. I am booking the trip tomorrow and maybe you just help me decide.

Maybe we should take the train on Sat. arrive in Sanford on Sun. doesn't really matter what time -- spend 4 nights at Disney, drive to the terminal on Thurs., take the 3 night cruise and then add on another day.

Oh ... now I am sooo confused. Thanks for your thoughts!!!! I know that I could not handle the pressure of sitting on the train and worrying about the boat leaving!

Sorry to add to the confusion. If it will make you feel any better, I really do believe what happened to us was the exception rather than the rule. If the train runs late, it is usually an hour or two, which isn't that bad. Since you mention Mother's Day, weather should not be a factor (my wife was on the Christmas Day 1999 when the train was 10 hours late due to icing on the tracks). You stand a much greater chance of dealing with delays in the winter.

If I had a choice between the 3-day and the 4-day, there is no question in my mind that I would go with your original plans and do the 4-day, then go to the parks. The 3-day is really too short. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for this great info!
We will be taking the 4-ay cruise oon 1/13( we are taking advantage of the $99 deal for fall cruises if you take a 7 or 4day cruise in Jan). Anyway, my concern is the procedure at the terminal . We are flying to Orlando and renting a car to take us to the port. My plan is to have my husband drop off the kids and me and the baggage--no jokes please!-- and then he will return the car to a local rental office in the area who will transfer him back to the port.

Is this a good or practical idea? My concern is that I will not be able to check his luggae if he is returning the car. Has anyone done something similar and how has it woeked?

Can't wait to cruise:D

The luggage is not a problem; he can drop off you and the kids and check all the checked luggage before leaving with the car. This is standard procedure. The only problem is that you will have to wait for him in the terminal until he returns. I suppose you could go through registration (if you have all the documents!) but it wouldn't save much time as he still has to register when he returns; it's probably better for the whole party to register at once.

How are you getting back to the airport? You might consider simply parking the car at the terminal ($28) and using it to get back to the airport after the cruise. With a family of four or more this should still be cheaper than using Disney transportation, even with the added cost of the rental. It may be cheaper than a limo service too.

Thanks for the info. Actually, we will be renting a car upon our return to port, driving to West Palm Beach where we will be staying w/my mom for a few days and flying out of West Palm. I did cinsider keeping the car and parking it but I don't think it was cheaper-- I will check again though, thanks.

We are planning on the same procedure with the rental car for our 1/13 cruise. When we cruised in Oct. 2000 I checked us in while DH was returning the rental car, I didn't have to wait for him the be there to check in. He did have to show his drivers license as we boarded the ship. Has this procedure changed since 9/11?

Dreamer-

I reserved a Ford Explorer for the same price as a Full Size car through Budget rent a car. I mentioned I was a Costco member and got a 10% discount.
nezy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter