Wonder 7-night August 2016 - Alaskan Adventure

anricat

DIS Veteran
Here's my pre-trip report, in case you want an idea of what we had planned: http://www.disboards.com/threads/alaskan-cruise-august-8-2016.3482178/

For the most part, we stuck with the plan and it worked quite well. There were a couple of minor deviations which I'll point out along the way.

The cast of characters:
Summer (me), Roger (DH), and Emmaline (DD, age 8)

This was our third cruise with DCL. The first being the Dream in 2014 and the second was the Magic last October (2015).

For those wondering, my camera is a Canon EOS-M mirrorless and I used two lenses with it. The standard one is an 18-55mm and for this trip I purchased a 55-250mm that I used quite a lot. I also used my iPhone 6 and my husband's iPhone 5s sometimes for some photos. If you click the photos through to my Flickr page, you can get all the technical details about each shot.

Last edited:
Austin to Vancouver - Saturday, August 6, 2016

Our day began with a 5:30 AM alarm. My step-father picked us up at 6:40 and delivered us to the airport around 7:30. We hadn’t been able to check in online the day before and when I tried to use a kiosk, I was denied there as well so we had to wait in a really long line. We probably waited over 30 minutes to check in, but we arrived at the gate in plenty of time for our 9:10 flight.

Our flights were fairly uneventful. From Austin we flew to LAX and then from there into Vancouver, arriving around 2:30 in the afternoon. It was a long travel day and we were tired, but thankfully there were no delays or issues.

Customs and passport control in Vancouver wasn’t too busy and we headed out to take the train to downtown Vancouver. Of course, just as it was our turn in line to buy our tickets (they needed more than two ticket machines) a train arrived. But the machine wouldn’t take our credit card. Thankfully, I had gotten some Canadian dollars prior to our trip and we were able to use those. Another train arrived pretty quickly, though, so we were on our way. After about a 25 minute ride and a 10-15 minute walk, we arrived at our hotel,The Blue Horizon. It wasn’t upscale, but it wasn’t a dump either. It was middle of the road, comfortable, clean and was a good location.

We relaxed a little and organized some luggage before taking a short cab ride to Canada Place to ride Flyover Canada. Canada Place is also the cruise terminal, a convention center and a hotel. There happened to be an anime con going on that weekend so we got to see some really fantastic cosplays all weekend long.

There was a long line for Flyover Canada and we probably waited 30-40 minutes. The ride itself was about 20 minutes, but it was great. It’s exactly the same ride mechanism as Soarin’ at the Disney parks, but with Canadian scenery. I have to give it up for Canada and its amazing scenery.

After Flyover Canada, we walked to a restaurant for dinner called Scoozie which served a unique Italian/mediterranean style menu. I got a unique dish that was sort of like an Italian take on quiche. It had a layer of crust along the bottom, then on top of that it had eggs, on top of that was a thin layer of tomato sauce then toppings on top of that (I had a variety of veggies) and then it was all topped off with mozzarella cheese. It sounds odd, but it was delicious. Roger enjoyed his dish of meatballs with tzatziki sauce. Emmaline had salad and pita breads. They didn’t have a children’s menu, which, I actually think they should have in order to earn the Yelp designation of “good for kids.” She was happy enough, though.

After dinner, we walked a little further towards our hotel to Thierry Chocolate and Pastry shop where Emmaline got a palmier and Roger and I split a strawberry tart with pistachio cream and a chocolate eclair. Everything was amazing. We walked the short distance back to our hotel, where we further organized some belongings and got all our things ready for our adventures the next day.

Last edited:
Vancouver - Sunday, August 7, 2016

I woke up early, not yet adjusted to the two hour time zone shift. Unfortunately, I woke up really early, earlier than I would normally even wake up in Austin. At 3:30, I was wide awake. Around 5:30, I had just started to drift off when Emmaline woke up. She didn’t go back to sleep, despite my best efforts and we finally gave up and got out of bed at 6:30. After getting ready, we went down to the restaurant in our hotel and ate breakfast.

After breakfast we went outside at 8:30 to catch the 8:40 shuttle bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. The bus was pretty full and included the Jarretts, who I had become friends with online and we would be sharing some further adventures with later in the week. The bus ride took 20 minutes and we bypassed the line since I had bought tickets online and headed straight for the bridges. It was great getting there early because it definitely filled up later in the day.

The park is really amazing. There is one main suspension bridge, then they have walkways up high in the trees from tree to tree and a couple of different cliff walks. Near the end of our visit, it started pelting rain, which we were unprepared for (leaving all our rain stuff at the hotel since there wasn’t a very good chance for rain - I guess a 10% chance is still a chance). It let up fairly soon after I obtained some of the free ponchos they were handing out in the gift shop!

We left Capilano around 11:30 and picked up the city bus ($2.75 for adults/$1.75 for kids, exact coins only) to Grouse Mountain. We arrived at Grouse around 10-15 minutes later, again bypassed the line for tickets because I had pre-purchased them, and hopped on the tram to ride up the mountain. It was pretty overcast and socked in so we had a great view until about halfway up, then it was obscured by clouds. I had read not to go up if it was cloudy because you miss out on the view. Maybe that’s true, but you still get a view in the tram on the way up and there’s way more to do than just look at the view there.

Once there, we grabbed some quick service lunch (meh) and set out. First we checked out the bears, but they weren’t out (they have a pair of grizzly bears that have been rescued and rehabbed, but aren’t fit for re-release). After that, we caught their bird show at 12:45, which was really great. They had a bald eagle, some hawks, and a couple of owls. It was a very well done show.

After the bird show, we checked for the bears again. Nope. Instead, we went into their little tent they have set up with info about the bears (they’ll also sell you stuff) and warmed up. We are usually pretty good about being prepared for the weather, but we were way underdressed. It was MUCH colder at Grouse than in Vancouver and we really hadn’t accounted for the temperature difference up high. It was windy, misting and cold.

At 2 PM we caught the lumberjack show which was really cute and fun. After the show, we saw a crowd of people over by the bears. Yay bears! So we watched the bears for a few minutes but by this time we were ice cubes and headed back to the tram to make our way down. At the bottom, we hopped on the bus that runs from Grouse Mountain to Canada Place. I had read on the Internet that you could specifically ask the driver to drop you at Capilano. I had emailed Grouse to try to confirm ahead of time and they said that it wasn’t possible. I wasn’t sure so I asked the driver and he said it wasn’t a problem. I gave him some coins in his tip jar in thanks and we took the free shuttle back to our hotel from Capitano.

Back at our hotel, we freshened up and I called the restaurant we where were interested in eating (Cardero’s). They said that there wasn’t a wait, so we got ourselves ready and walked over. By the time we were ready and made the 15 minute walk, they were on a 45 minute wait. Great. So we walked back a little ways to a White Spot, which appears to be Canadian Applebee’s or something. It was…fine.

We left there and walked over towards the waterfront, where we walked along the water towards Canada Place where we were meeting some people from our Facebook cruise meet group for gelato. We had originally planned to go to the famous Bella Gelateria, but had discovered the previous day that the place regularly has a line around the block (planning fail on my part) so we switched to a different gelato place around the corner. On the way we stopped to see the Olympic Cauldron and the 8-bit Orca. After dessert, it was pretty late so we went back to our hotel via taxi so that we could repack and get a good night sleep before boarding the Disney Wonder the next morning!

Last edited:
Embarkation Day - Monday, August 8, 2016

I woke up early again at 5:30, but eventually managed to doze back off for another hour, waking again at 7:30. We all got up and showered, heading out a little after 8:00 for breakfast about a block down the road at a little place called Cora. It was actually pretty good, with some nice piles of fruit on each plate. After breakfast, Roger went back to the room while Emmaline and I tried to go to the post office located across from our hotel (located in the Samsonite luggage store, oddly enough) so that I could buy her a stamp to mail a postcard for her. Unfortunately, it was just a little after 9 and they didn’t open until 9:30 so next I went across the street to London Drugs to pick up some bus passes for when we returned to Vancouver after the cruise.

Emmaline and I ran back to the room and helped Roger finish organizing our luggage and documents we would need. At 9:30 I ran back down across the street and mailed the post card before we checked out and headed back to Canada Place in a taxi. We arrived at port around 10 AM and the taxi driver pulled down into the garage under the terminal. We got out and the porter came to take our luggage and asked us if we had our tags. The luggage tags! I had completely forgotten to put on our luggage tags. Rookie mistake! We got that sorted out and took the elevator upstairs and got in a few photos with the ship before making our way to check in. There was no line at check in (in either the first timers or the return cruiser lines) and we walked up and she took our pictures, gave us our Key to the World (KTTW) cards and picked up a Navigator (booklet that tells us all the activities and schedule of events for the day). Then she said we would be boarding group nine and I just looked at her incredulous. It’s 10:15, we have the earliest possible port arrival time (PAT) and we’re in group nine?!?! The last two cruises we were group three or four. NINE?!?! She said that there must have been a lot of people who already checked in. Uhhhh. Okay. I just stood there. She told us boarding would begin by 11:45 and we should be on board by noon. Right, okay, calm down. It’s probably only a difference of five or ten minutes. I’ll be okay. I’ve waited this long. What’s another ten minutes? The logical part of my brain I knew it wasn’t a big deal. (But seriously, NINE?)

There was no line for check in at the kid’s clubs so we decided to knock that out. The past two disney cruises we did it on board since it was a crazy line in the cruise terminal. Then it was time for customs, passport control and security which was combined with the people getting on the Norwegian Sun. That probably took around 30 minutes, then we were led off to the Disney boarding area, which was huge and had lots of places to sit. It was all very organized and things went much more smoothly than our last boarding process in Miami. It was about 11 by this time and we found the Jarretts so we sat with them. Heather was on her 13th Disney cruise so her family could board whenever the heck they wanted. While we waited, Emmaline took her photo with Mickey in his captain outfit who had just started greeting, then around 11:30, Minnie came to take over for him in her cruise attire so she got a photo with her as well. We had a bathroom break and saw some other friends we had met the night before at the meet and greet and boarding began around 11:45. The Jarretts headed on board and we arranged to meet them at Parrot Cay for lunch.

There was hardly anyone getting on the first boarding groups and they started doubling up the groups. After the first few groups, they called groups 5 and 6, then through 8, then pretty soon after through 10. Where were all the people in the early groups? Oh well, a little before noon and we were on board! We were all set to bypass the embarkation photo, but it turned out that they had three photography stations set up (THANK YOU) and it went quickly so we did it before meeting up with the Jarretts in Parrot Cay for lunch. We had a lovely lunch. All I can say about that is that I’m DONE with embarkation day buffet on the upper deck. On the Dream, Fantasy and Magic it’s called Cabanas. On the Wonder, it’s still called “Beach Blanket Buffet” but that will be changing during the dry dock coming up in a couple of months. Whatever you call it, we try to avoid it for the most part. The restaurant buffet has the same food, but you are seated at a table first and they bring you drinks and you go get your plate of food with a table already reserved for you. There was no jostling around with a tray of food trying to find a table and while eating, nobody hovered over you with a tray of food hoping you were going to finish up soon.

After lunch, we walked around the ship some. I wanted to pay a visit to the aft section of deck 7 where a lovely, completely unused verandah sits open and ready. Unfortunately, I forgot the area wasn’t open yet because it was in the stateroom area (which doesn’t open until 1:30). Instead, we went to the Oceaneer Club and Lab (the kid’s clubs) so that Emmaline could check them out and play a little bit during their open house.

At 1:30, we suddenly realized it was 1:30 and our room would be ready so we went down to drop off our carryon bags and get those items put away before heading up to the Promenade Lounge to see if anyone would show up for the Disboards meet and greet at 2:00. They didn’t. Oh well. We went back to the room where one piece of luggage arrived before our muster drill at 3:00. We were an hour earlier to have muster and leave the ship than usual. We had received an email from Disney a few months earlier about the change, but it wasn’t really an issue for us. Evidently it was an issue for some people because during the muster drill, people were still getting on (which is a big no-no)! After the safety talk (our muster station was in the Walt Disney Theatre) we made our way to Deck 9 for the sail away party at 3:30. Emmaline partied in the separate kids area that they had roped off, which was great because she could see everything that was going on. Then they sounded the horn and it was time for us to leave!

The party ended at 4:00 and we made our way to deck 7 aft and enjoyed the views of Vancouver as with the Jarretts we pulled away (there was one other family out there). Then we promptly forgot about the deck 7 aft verandah for the entire rest of the cruise and never went back there. Oops! Well, I suppose that’s why it’s going away at dry dock - nobody really knows about it or uses it and they need the space for a secondary emergency generator/engine setup thing. According to the officer I spoke with out there, he said that there are new regulations that came into play since the ship was built and requires a secondary backup system. Thus is also the reason for the “duck tail” they will add to the ship (that the Magic already has) to balance that load.

We went back to our room and began organizing more of our things, including trying to figure out the door decoration situation since our magnets weren’t sticking properly. After all these years, there’s just too much paint on that door. I gave up on my favorite magnets - the cute Maleficent horns we have placed on our door number the past two cruises. Oh well. We also had our luggage so we were able to unpack a few things before dinner as well as meet our stateroom host Satriawan (Sat-Tree-A-Won) from Taiwan.

Dinner our first night was in Animator’s Palate. Yes! We had a fantastic serving team with our server Nebojsa (Neh-Boy-Shuh) from Bosnia and assistant server Chanman (Chon-Mon) from Thailand. They were fantastic and really made dinner every night a fantastic experience. We also met our table mates, the Young family. Kristi and Ken were traveling with their daughter, Katie, also age 8 and Ken’s father Ron and his wife Denise. They were very nice people and Emmaline and Katie became good friends during the course of the cruise.

We left dinner and decided to do a little shopping with everyone else from the ship. Wow, the shops were packed! I asked about the shirt I had seen online that I really wanted. Evidently everyone else wanted it too because they only had L and XL sizes left. Boo. Emmaline wanted to buy about 80 things so I told her to remember some things and think about it and come back for what she really wanted later.

Then it was time for the first show “All Aboard: Let the Magic Begin” which, technically we’ve seen before, but decided to check it out again because it would have small snippets of some of the variety acts so we could check them out and see what we might want to go to.

After the show, we went back to the room and unpacked and put away the rest of the items we didn’t get to earlier before heading to bed.

Last edited:

At Sea - Tuesday, August 9, 2016

I slept very well, waking up at around 6:30, but I was still up before everyone else so I donned my running clothes and made my way to deck 4 for a 30 minute run. I have a love/hate relationship with deck 4. It’s sort of like a track because you just run around in circles and that’s boring, but it’s a third of a mile so it’s a longer loop than a track and also, it’s on a cruise ship, so that’s nice. But it’s also odd running at sea with the motion of the ship and 30 minutes is about my max with all those conditions factored in.

Initially, I was cold and I was glad I had worn a long sleeve running shirt with my shorts, but then I warmed up and got a little warmer than I wanted. It wasn’t bad, but I figured it was about 60 degrees. It was breezy and misty and very foggy. About every 1-2 minutes, the fog horn would sound, which was surreal because it was otherwise very quiet out there. There were a handful of other walkers and runners out there with me as the ship swayed through the fog. About eight footfalls the ship would sway and push up, hard into each step. Then for the next eight steps, I would feel the ship pulling away from me, like I was weightless, barely hitting the ground. It’s a strange way to run. After my run, I went back to the room and got myself toweled off a bit and dressed for our character breakfast at 8:00 in Animator’s Palate. We had a nice breakfast and then went back to the room around 9:00 where I showered while Emmaline and Roger started the “Anna’s Chocolate Chase” scavenger hunt. After I was done showering, we all went and delivered some of our Fish Extender gifts (a gift exchange we participated in with nine other cabins, using a little pocket that one brings to hang on the little metal fish outside the stateroom door used for staff to deliver information to the room - thus extending the fish).

After handing out the gifts, Emmaline went to the Oceaneer Club, while I went to a cooking demo (Wild Mushroom Risotto) and Roger went for a run on deck four. Emmaline messaged me partway through the cooking demo that she didn’t want to be in the club any more (it had only been about 20 minutes!) so I gave her the go ahead to go back there. Roger finished his run and went back to the room to shower and I finished the demo. After that, while Roger was showering, Emmaline wanted to deliver the rest of the fish extender gifts so we did that. The last room on our list was a friend she met at the meet and greet. Just as we were about to deliver the gifts, they opened the door on the way to lunch. We also needed to eat, so we arranged to all meet up together in Triton’s and have lunch.

After lunch, we went back to the room to relax for a little while. Then, at 2:00, we all attended the naturalist talk in the Walt Disney Theatre about some of the marine mammals we might be seeing while on the cruise. She had some good information, but I felt like the pace was a little slow and she was a little dry. After the talk, Emmaline went back to the club so that Roger and I could go to the Art of the Theme Show tour at 3 PM that we’ve been wanting to take. It was a nice tour of the ship that focused on the theming, design and decoration of the ship. Disney is all about the details and it was fun to hear about the thoughts behind some of the details onboard.

We went back to the room at 3:45 and Emmaline was still in the club so we ordered room service: All Hands On Deck platter (cheese and crackers), fruit bowl, and two orders of hot chocolate chip cookies. It arrived about 30 minutes later, but Emmaline was still playing in the club so we let her play until 4:45 when Roger went and grabbed her. She ate and we started to get ready for formal night.

At 5:15 we went down to the lobby atrium to take some formal photos before our dinner at 5:45 in Parrot Cay. Dinner was actually quite good. I was a little worried about this menu, but throughout the cruise, each menu was bolstered by the addition of “regional inspirations.” Initially, I was a little bummed that we wouldn’t have the “Taste of Alaska” menu like they had done in years past, but I found I actually preferred having a few additional regional items each night.

After dinner, before the show we took some additional pictures before changing out of our formal wear and heading into the theatre for “The Golden Mickeys.” We had seen it before, on our cruise on the Dream two years ago, but it was fun so we decided to see it again. Evidently there was a new section, but I didn’t remember the original show well enough to know what it was. It was a lot of fun, though, better than I remember it being, actually.

We got back to the room and set our clocks back an hour. Tomorrow we would be in Alaska!

Last edited:
I'm here, I'm here and it's like I'm right there with you :) Love the report so far and I'm enjoying reading about your adventures.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Heather

Awesome! I am so enjoying this-- your planning really paid off. :)

The pre-cruise hotel in Vancouver-- would you recommend it to others? The location looks good online, and better for our budget than the ones closer to the port, although I am also looking at the Hampton Inn, for points. Trying to decide... We will be there on a holiday weekend (Victoria Day), so I probably should book sooner rather than later.

Love the huge porthole in your cabin! I didn't realize they were that big! I don't think my DH wants to give up our verandah though (and we have a decent fare, from booking early and sailing early in the season). Will definitely try one of the oceanview cabins in the future!

Great formal night photos!

Awesome! I am so enjoying this-- your planning really paid off. :)

The pre-cruise hotel in Vancouver-- would you recommend it to others? The location looks good online, and better for our budget than the ones closer to the port, although I am also looking at the Hampton Inn, for points. Trying to decide... We will be there on a holiday weekend (Victoria Day), so I probably should book sooner rather than later.

Yes! It was really good. It wasn't luxury, but it wasn't a dump either. It was clean and the people were really nice and it was close to a lot of dining and shopping. The cab to Canada Place was around $7-9 CAD depending on traffic. We used cabs to get back to our hotel from Canada Place both Saturday and Sunday and then to get back there Monday morning to embark. If we did it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. The rate we ended up with was $229 CAD per night. It was a AAA rate. The restaurant in the hotel (Abode) had a good breakfast. We enjoyed it. With the two nights, taxes, breakfast for the three of us and Roger had a drink at the bar, our total bill ended up being $450 USD, which I think is great.

On the way back through, we stayed at the airport at the Fairmont on Monday night since we had a 6:30 AM flight on Tuesday (!!!!!) and it was very nice. I ended up with a good rate through Trip Advisor. It was pre-paid for $212 USD. More to come! :)

Regarding a verandah, the price difference would have been about $3k for the oceanview vs. verandah (opening day pricing) which just isn't worth it, in my opinion. For the time we would have spent out there, it wouldn't have made it worth it. When I was in the room, relaxing or downloading photos off the camera or whatever, it was nice to just look right over at eye level and see the water right there. It was cool being that close to the water, actually.

When we had a deck 6 verandah on the Magic, it was nice, but it actually made it sort of harder to see out from the room without going out there. On the other hand, I'm an earlier riser than the rest of my crew so it made it harder to have a place to be in the morning. On our last cruise I could sneak out there and watch the world go by. It worked out though. I passed the time before they were awake by either by going up to deck 9 and grabbing some food and looking out there or by running on deck 4.

Endicott Arm - Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Another grey and drizzly day dawned and I was again awake around 6:30, despite the time change that offered us an extra hour. We were now on Alaska time (one hour earlier than Pacific time). Once again, I was awake before Roger and Emmaline so I made my way up to deck nine for a croissant, some fruit and some hot cocoa. The previous day I had tried to sign up for spin class at 8:00, but by the time I signed up, there was already a wait list a mile long and I was the last person on the wait list. When I went to ask them when I should try to arrive for the next sign up, they told me just to come anyway because a lot of people don’t come often times.

I decided that I was going to go to the fitness center regardless and if I didn’t make it into the spin class, I would do my own thing. I brought some food back to the room for Roger and Emmaline and got changed and headed upstairs at 7:45. The spin instructor arrived right at 8 and there were two people missing from the class. One person was there from the wait list ahead of me and jumped on a bike, but some friends of the other missing participant assured the instruction that he was DEFINITELY coming. I jumped on a nearby stationary bike to start warming up. By 8:05, the instructor explained that the friend was too late and she needed to give the bike up so over I went and hopped on with a big smile on my face.

Spin class was great and the view was lovely from the floor to ceiling windows on the forward section of deck 9. That is, until we all huffed and puffed so much that all the windows fogged up! The instructor, Carlin from South Africa was really energetic and I had a great workout. At 8:45 I was back in the room showering. After that, we started some laundry in the laundry room and had second breakfast at the buffet in Parrot Cay. We had tried to go to Tritons but it was closed for breakfast because the serving team was already busy with the character breakfast in Animator’s Palate. It was fine, but we were bummed because we accidentally left our little bottle of real Canadian maple syrup in the room. Oh well, there would be other days.

After breakfast, we did some laundry stuff. Unfortunately, the low heat setting on the dryer was ineffective so we had to restart it so we were rushing a bit because we wanted to make the 10:45 showing of Alice Through the Looking Glass. We just made it as the movie began. Emmaline went to the kid’s club instead. After the movie, we had planned to head up to the grill they usually have on the glacier day. But when I left the movie, I had a message from Heather that the cook out had been cancelled due to weather. It was cold and windy with light rain.

We grabbed Emmaline from the club and went up to Beach Blanket buffet to have lunch at the buffet, anyway. That was fine. I’m not always a huge fan of the buffet, but it was better than I remember. It’s just hard to find a table. After lunch, we went back to our room to hang out while we awaited the arrival at the glacier.

28767339320_83f76a1d57_z.jpg

At one point, while cruising through the fjord, we met with Donald Duck on deck 9 for a photo op in his cute Alaska outfit. After that, we went up to deck 10 to take in the view, but it was cold and windy and rainy so we grabbed some cocoa and went back to our cabin until we arrived at the glacier. We had a lot of hot cocoa during this trip. We were pleasantly surprised that the cocoa out of the machine at the drinks station on deck 9 was actually pretty good. We brought marshmallows from home so we were prepared!

28435963693_9b0bbb441c_z.jpg

A quick note about where we were. Our cruise (and every other Disney cruise to Alaska this year as well as cruises on lots of other lines) was originally scheduled to make it’s way up Tracy Arm Fjord to the Sawyer Glacier. Due to some kind of ice flow situation, there are too many icebergs in Tracy Arm to safely make it to the glacier, so instead, cruise ships have been traveling up the nearby Endicott Arm to view the Dawes Glacier. I don’t know any difference but both Endicott and the glacier were amazing. They were absolutely stunning.

28435963403_e1b14cd03e_z.jpg

28767339070_69e3feb66f_z.jpg

28948261592_b1d9134be4_z.jpg

We arrived at the glacier around 2:15 and the ship turned so that the starboard side faced the glacier and we headed up to deck 10 to see. The weather was improving. It wasn’t as cold and windy and the rain had let up. There were a fair number of people on deck 10 where we were, but it wasn’t totally insane. We got in a few pictures here and there, both of the glacier and the beautiful scenery of the fjord around us. After a short period of time, the ship rotated, turning the port side towards the glacier. By this time things started thinning out on deck 10 a bit. We stayed, took more photos and waited for chunks of glacier to fall off. When they would fall off (called “calving”) it would sound like thunder and depending on the size of the chunk, would make a wave that would rock the ship slightly. We saw the glacier calve several times, but never got it on video. I took lots of photos both with my regular lens (and 18-55mm) and my new lens (a 55-250mm). After a little while longer, the ship rotated again back to face the starboard side of the ship towards the glacier and we moved to the other side again. By this time, there were hardly any people up there. We were still comfortable in the out wear we had brought. I had on a long sleeve top, a light cardigan, a fleece jacket, a rain shell and a hat. I didn’t wear gloves or mittens to I could operate the camera, but my hands weren’t cold. I’m guessing it was low to mid 50’s. I now present you with too many photos of ice, water and mountains.

28948261932_b2f0bf1ab4_z.jpg

28948261742_d2588720a3_z.jpg

28948261482_ba919716e5_z.jpg

28767339940_c61a5b5d03_z.jpg

28767339820_9bf11ba139_z.jpg

28767339520_9b944cb8db_z.jpg

28767341190_1ac22ccd2e_z.jpg

28435966893_55e5ba3aa3_z.jpg

The ship was at the glacier for over an hour, departing around 3:30. We saw that Chip and Dale were beginning to meet on Deck 10 so we went to get a picture with them at 3:30 and hung watching the fjord go by until around until Mickey arrived in the same spot at 4:00. We saw some seals at a great distance on the icebergs. I was able to get some pretty good shots of them with my new lens. Captain Hook was also running around deck 10 but didn’t have an official meet and greet, but Emmaline and Roger chased him down while i was taking seal pictures and got a picture with him.

28435966633_5df723f377_z.jpg

28767342190_236732f337_z.jpg

28948264592_670fcb9219_z.jpg

28767342010_13aa6bff48_z.jpg

28767341890_bd7d7ebebf_z.jpg

28948262672_3de6a33e57_z.jpg

On the way back down on deck 9, we found the iceberg that the crew had brought on board and had a quick picture of it. We hadn’t seen them go grab it. I had been hoping to get a picture of that happening, but at least we got to get up close and personal with a big chunk of ice.

28767341700_80da9a5d38_z.jpg

We stopped back into the room and shed our outerwear and Emmaline went to the kid’s club to make chocolate chip cookies while we relaxed in the room a bit, downloaded photos of the camera and watched the scenery go by through the porthole. I really liked our room down on deck two. It was so easy to see the ocean and the shore go by at that level while sitting on the couch or chair in the room. Initially, when booking this cruise, I was a little sad we couldn’t afford the same room on the Magic we had with a verandah on deck six, but honestly, I loved this room. I don’t know how much time I would have spent out there in the chill air. Our porthole was large and deck two was very convenient to the lobby atrium and dining on deck three as well as the theatre on deck four.

At 5:20 Emmaline had an appointment in the gift shop for a mini princess makeover (“Glitter and Go”) so I picked her up in the club. They weren’t done with their cookies so she was a little reluctant to go, but the makeover would be fun so we headed down to deck four for her princess makeover. She got makeup, hairstyle, face sticker, lots of glitter, a hair clip and a tube of lip gloss to keep. While she got her makeover, I bought a shirt I decided I wanted. It wasn’t the Alaska one I had been hoping for, but it was a cute retro Mickey in his captain hat design.

28767342340_1f438b969d_z.jpg

After this, it was time for dinner so off we went to Triton’s, the third of the three main dining rooms on board. While eating, the lights flickered and the ship came to a stop (we were lucky that we had a rare window seat in Triton’s). Heather sent me a message that they completely lost all power in Animator’s Palate and the emergency lights were on. A few minutes later the captain came over the speakers and said that power had been lost in various places around the ship and crews were working to restore power. After about 10 minute or so, the lights flickered again and Heather messaged me that power was back on for them. The ship was dead in the water for quite a bit longer, though, probably 30 minutes or more. Eventually near the end of our meal, we were underway again.

After dinner we found the line for Minnie Mouse in her Alaskan attire and got a photo with her before going into the theatre to wait for the show to start. We had been going into the theatre fairly early because we found seating difficult on this cruise. The theatre was extremely full for the show. For the previous two cruises, we did second seating for dinner, so that was show first from 6:15-7:15, then a break, then dinner from 8:15-9:30ish. For this cruise, we decided to try main dining which mean we did dinner first from 5:45-7:15ish, then a break and the show from 8:30-9:30. Unfortunately, we found that we had less time between dinner and the show because we had to get to the theatre a little after 8 to make sure we could get seats together. Given that we were done at pretty much the same time as when we did second seating for dinner, but started earlier and had less time between dinner and the show, I think we will stick with second seating for the future.

28977397231_ed3f54a4e0_z.jpg

The show that evening was Michael Harrison, a ventriloquist. He was pretty good, but unfortunately, the bar had been set pretty high by Lynn Trefzger on the Magic last October who was absolutely hilarious. I preferred her dry and sarcastic deadpan style humor. Michael Harrison had some funny moments, but overall, I wasn’t as impressed as I was by Lynn Trefzger. After the show, we were zonked and we went to bed to get an early start for our first day in port on Thursday - Skagway.

Skagway - Thursday, August 11, 2016

I’m a wee bit of a planner. Okay, fine, I’m a huge planner. I spent countless hours planning this trip from excursions at ports, to hotels, to restaurants, what times to get up, times to be certain places, and more. There was a lot of planning. But I really love it. It’s part of the fun for me. I think it paid off, though and things went really well overall. We really didn’t deviate much from the plan at all. The plan for today was to wake up at 6:30, have breakfast, go to breakfast from 7:15-8:00 and then disembark at 8 to meet for our tour, booked privately with Chilkoot Charters at 8:15.

So we woke up at 6:30, ate breakfast at 7:15 and walked off the ship at 8:00 and there we were, ready to board the bus that would take us out of Alaska, into British Columbia and up to the Yukon territory. On the bus with us were the Jarretts as well as several other families from our Facebook cruise group. Skagway was foggy with drizzle. I’m sensing a theme, Alaska. The driver/tour guide of our little bus (it was more like a larger van type bus, you know a smallish bus thing), Mike, was really great. For about three and a half hours, we drove along the Klondike highway stopping about every 15-30 minutes at various points along the way (Google maps thinks it’s a two hour trip without stops). Mike was conscientious about stopping at points when other tours weren’t already there or trying to beat the train to the passport control officer for Canada so we could get through first.

28948265652_ae820da978_z.jpg

28435969563_fae6b69f2e_z.jpg

Mike told us we would be climbing through three different climatic zones: rainforest, sub-arctic tundra and arctic tundra. He also said that as soon as we crossed the summit of the mountain and moved into Canada, the skies would be clear and sunny. I was dubious, but he was right. I wish we had known that before we set out because none of us had our sunglasses with us! Thankfully, we had short sleeves under our warmer clothes because it was actually really warm and beautiful!

28977398361_fc48924aeb_z.jpg

28948265512_40dcb19b45_z.jpg

We stopped at some amazing sights along the way both before and after lunch (more on that in a moment) including Bridal Veil Falls and a series of lakes that are actually one long lake that sort of changes names. Other points of interest included Bove Island, a large island in the chain of lakes, and Emerald Lake, which is a separate lake and so called because of the beautiful green color. We also stopped at the Carcross Desert, the Welcome to Yukon sign, and the small town of Carcross for a short stop.

28948265262_e4d0348c88_z.jpg

28977398001_ea36566d8b_z.jpg

28432756294_9624bef4fc_z.jpg

28948269952_e1e06d8d4a_z.jpg

28432756044_04a811e2f2_z.jpg

The landscapes before us were amazing. I had never seen anything like that terrain before and it was just jaw dropping in it’s beauty. I don’t have the words to accurately describe it, but I’m really glad that we didn’t just take only the train, and took the bus as well because we really got to stop and take in the scenes, instead of passing everything by on the train. Don’t get me wrong, the train was awesome (I’ll get to that later) but the stops on the bus really allowed us to take in the incredible beauty of each place we passed through.

28948268502_e9141e8718_z.jpg

Our lunch stop, in the middle of all of this at around 11:30, was at a place called Caribou Crossing. After eating lunch (BBQ chicken for everyone else and a lentil curry for me), we had a summer dog cart ride scheduled at 12:15. We stopped on the way over to play with the puppies. After we successfully pried the puppy away from Emmaline (she was somewhat reluctant to part with her new fuzzy friend).

28948268282_b34ecfb88a_z.jpg

The dogs were extremely excited to run. They wanted to RUN NOW. And they new the drill. As soon as a cart would come back, they knew which dogs were next to pull and they got extremely excited, barking and yapping and jumping. The dog cart ride was short (maybe 15 minutes), but a lot of fun. These dogs were in training and it was very interesting to see how the musher worked with them. She explained some of the commands and how they pair the dogs up. At one point she had to stop to rearrange some dogs that weren’t getting along. At one point along the way, the dogs stopped to have a break in some kiddie pools along the course so they wouldn’t overheat. In their shaded area waiting to get hitched up, they had water sprayers keeping the dogs cool.

28948267862_b52e0013a3_z.jpg

28432755374_e92e19017c_z.jpg

28948267182_4c65841c93_z.jpg

28948266822_9028737dcc_z.jpg

After our ride, we headed back into the puppy area where Emmaline probably could have spent the rest of the day holding little puppies. But they had some other animals there including some goats, horses, and alpacas. They also had a large taxidermy museum with a lot of very impressive specimens.

28432756494_2b6a9b4c07_z.jpg

After lunch, we had more stops. This includes some of the places I mentioned above. I honestly can’t remember which stops were before and which were after lunch. Eventually, we ended up back in Fraser, British Columbia to board the White Pass Railroad, I believe around 2:45 PM. We said goodbye to the Jarretts (they were taking the bus back) and boarded the train.

28948271452_413521d39a_z.jpg

The train was also amazing and a lot of fun, but for different reasons. They provided us with a map and there was a running commentary so that we could learn more about the different places we were traveling through. We saw some of the same places on the bus, but from a different vantage point. Some of the places were different and the railroad hugged the mountainside so some of the vistas were incredible. As we passed back down into Alaska, we moved back into the foggy rainforest again and back to Skagway.

28948270932_e27776e162_z.jpg

28948270662_0590853a03_z.jpg

28432756884_bc31efd992_z.jpg

28948272532_81a63d6037_z.jpg

28948272182_aa974ea332_z.jpg

Mike was there with his bus and offered to take us back to the ship, but we declined and made the short walk through town, stopping at a few shops and points of interest along the way. As we were heading back to the ship, it began to rain in earnest and got windy and cold. There was a long line to board the ship and it took us quite awhile. Thankfully, once on board, we were met with a crew member handing out hot cocoa and cookies. Yes, please!!

28948272972_72f141327c_z.jpg

28948271802_b600306c32_b.jpg

We didn’t have much time before dinner so we went back to the room to download the photos to the computer and hang up all our outerwear. Emmaline also wanted to wear her Anna dress to dinner since it was Frozen night and we would be attending the Frozen deck party right after dinner. After another lovely dinner with our new friends (Emmaline and Katie had a great time at dinner each night) we went up to deck 9 to find a place to watch the show. It was already packed and Emmaline was cold so I ran back to the room to grab some pants for her to wear under her dress. I missed most of the show, but I did catch the highlight at the end in which they made it snow, which was actually a pretty cool effect.

After the Frozen show, we went back to the room to get things organized for the next day. We were pretty tired and there wasn’t a stage show that evening. Instead, the Walt Disney Theatre would be showing “Finding Dory.” We had already seen it so we skipped the show and just relaxed in our room. It felt nice to have an evening where we weren’t rushing around doing things. The sun was still up and we watched the world go by from the room while we prepared for the next day in Juneau before going to bed a little early.

"
After this, it was time for dinner so off we went to Triton’s, the third of the three main dining rooms on board. While eating, the lights flickered and the ship came to a stop (we were lucky that we had a rare window seat in Triton’s). Heather sent me a message that they completely lost all power in Animator’s Palate and the emergency lights were on. A few minutes later the captain came over the speakers and said that power had been lost in various places around the ship and crews were working to restore power. After about 10 minute or so, the lights flickered again and Heather messaged me that power was back on for them. The ship was dead in the water for quite a bit longer, though, probably 30 minutes or more. Eventually near the end of our meal, we were underway again
Thanks for writing about this--we didn't hear any announcements from our table at Animator's Palate. We noticed that we had lost power and the emergency lights went on...it's our first cruise, so we're looking around going, 'I don't think this is part of the show.' All the waitstaff in the restaurant just kept serving things like nothing had happened. I think that part of the time we were stopped, should have been when the 3PM 'tracy arm' excursion would be getting back on board, and as we were stopped for about 1/2 hour going into Endicott Arm for the Noon excursion to get onto their boat, being stopped didn't really phase me. We thought there was just an issue with the show. Luckily, power was restored before dessert and we got the final Animator's Palate show--but we missed anything that would happened before the final show.

Our lunch stop, in the middle of all of this at around 11:30, was at a place called Caribou Crossing. After eating lunch (BBQ chicken for everyone else and a lentil curry for me), we had a summer dog cart ride scheduled at 12:15. We stopped on the way over to play with the puppies. After we successfully pried the puppy away from Emmaline (she was somewhat reluctant to part with her new fuzzy friend).

We were on the same excursion as you. We're the other family that did the dogcart ride! This excursion was definitely a highlight of the trip for our family!

"

Thanks for writing about this--we didn't hear any announcements from our table at Animator's Palate. We noticed that we had lost power and the emergency lights went on...it's our first cruise, so we're looking around going, 'I don't think this is part of the show.' All the waitstaff in the restaurant just kept serving things like nothing had happened. I think that part of the time we were stopped, should have been when the 3PM 'tracy arm' excursion would be getting back on board, and as we were stopped for about 1/2 hour going into Endicott Arm for the Noon excursion to get onto their boat, being stopped didn't really phase me. We thought there was just an issue with the show. Luckily, power was restored before dessert and we got the final Animator's Palate show--but we missed anything that would happened before the final show.

You didn't really miss anything else. This is the original AP show and it's really not as great, I think, as the upgraded one on the Magic. Nothing else really happens except for Mickey coming in.

We were on the same excursion as you. We're the other family that did the dogcart ride! This excursion was definitely a highlight of the trip for our family!
Oh my goodness what a small world! I was just reading your trip report and remembered you'd be on the same sailing and thought your daughters looked familiar! My son and I sat right behind your daughters on this excursion :)

It appears we had the same dining rotation too, very cool.

Summer ~ great job and I'll be back later :)

Heather

Oh my goodness what a small world! I was just reading your trip report and remembered you'd be on the same sailing and thought your daughters looked familiar! My son and I sat right behind your daughters on this excursion :)

It appears we had the same dining rotation too, very cool.

Summer ~ great job and I'll be back later :)

Heather
That's so funny! We were happy with our dining rotation as we got Triton's for both formal and semi-formal night, and going to Parrot Cay the last morning was so convenient as we were deck 2 aft. I hope you'll end up doing a trip report as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter