Wonder - August 21, 2017 - 7 night Alaskan cruise

We will be joining too! Can't wait until August. Would love to connect with other parents with tween boys! I'll be traveling with DH, DS (14) and DS (11).

Welcome!

Happy new year to everyone! Only 355 days til we're sailing away!!!!!!!!

HI everyone, today we have been looking at all the port adventures available, and getting very excited over which ones we are considering. Has everyone else given it some thought? The one that appeals most is the helicopter glacier trek in Juneau. Who else is considering this?

We intend to do one adventure in each port... what is everyone else thinking of doing?

Hey Everyone! We will be on the cruise as well! We are traveling with my sister, her husband and my niece and nephew. This is our first Disney cruise, their second. I can't wait!

HI everyone, today we have been looking at all the port adventures available, and getting very excited over which ones we are considering. Has everyone else given it some thought? The one that appeals most is the helicopter glacier trek in Juneau. Who else is considering this?

We intend to do one adventure in each port... what is everyone else thinking of doing?

We were looking at that as well. Also the musher for a day.

Hello fellow cruisers! My daughter and I will be on this cruise to celebrate her 13th birthday. This will be our 6th Disney cruise and excited to reach GOLD status to book shore excursions early. We're planning to do the glacier trek and a kayak adventure. We're going to Disneyland August 17 and then flying from LA to Vancouver on August 20. Is anyone planning to stay at the Pan Pacific Vancouver hotel the night before the cruise?

Hi! I booked this Cruise opening day, but I'm just getting around to checking the Boards. This is the 3rd Cruise for DD (Gemma) and Myself (Christine) - 2nd for my husband (Mark). We did a New Years Eve cruise on the Fantasy and Gemma and I did a 3 night Cruise to the Bahamas last March. Gemma is 14 and is looking forward to making friends on the Cruise. I have looked at the excursions and have a few picked out. We are from Toronto.

i just booked 3 nights at the Sutton Place hotel for under $300/night which seems like a deal in Vancouver. it has a 4 1/2 star rating. it is 1km down 1 street from Canada Place, so a quick inexpensive taxi ride. It is near Robson St. that has a lot of shops and restaurants.

DW ("TiggerPU88"), DS (will be 16), and I have had this booked for a while, and now, after just getting off a short Bahama cruise on the Wonder (looks great, just like the "Magic"), we are getting excited about this trip too. Btw, Tiana's was good, with some issues. I am mostly all "Frozen" out, but the talent at the shows is extraordinary. Palo's always pleases because they take such care of my wife's dietary issues. We will request the same waiter ("Claudius") and cabin steward ("Shiv) as they were typically DCL-Wonder(ful).

We have our non-stop flights to/from YVR and hotel stays before/after all planned. I have been to Vancouver thrice before and imo, is one of North America's most beautiful cities. We are not completely sure about the excursions, but getting all the way up to the Yukon from Skagway intrigues me.

We both prefer the Wonder/Magic versions of DCL and their cruises that go somewhere interesting, so this will certainly qualify. Our son loves "Vibe," my wife has her Cove Cafe card parked on her lanyard, and I like talking to the Officers and other Castmembers about anything and everything.

If there is a family with one/more smart, inquisitive teens, and wants to sit with us (2nd dining), send a PM.

Last edited:
I'm so jealous of everyone who is getting to spend a few days pre/post in Vancouver. We have a wedding to go to Saturday night so will be flying to Vancouver on Sunday and then have to get back for work so flying back on Monday :( . One of these days I'm going to make a trip just to see Vancouver as I've only ever heard amazing things.

We haven't decided on any excursions yet either. I'm thinking we'll probably actually only book 1 (to try and not spend too much on an already expensive trip!) and then just explore the towns at the other two ports.

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question. We are finalising our final choices for our port adventures and I just want to know if we will ever have any time in the town to explore? My biggest concern is in Juneau. We are doing the whale and glacier photo safari (well that's the plan), and it's quite a long tour so I am wondering if anyone can provide insight as to whether we will have time to go into town and explore briefly? I really want to check out the brewery and get my Starbucks Alaska mug too (crazy Starbucks mug collector here). Hopefully someone can help. Thanks everyone!

I'm so jealous of everyone who is getting to spend a few days pre/post in Vancouver. We have a wedding to go to Saturday night so will be flying to Vancouver on Sunday and then have to get back for work so flying back on Monday :( . One of these days I'm going to make a trip just to see Vancouver as I've only ever heard amazing things.

We haven't decided on any excursions yet either. I'm thinking we'll probably actually only book 1 (to try and not spend too much on an already expensive trip!) and then just explore the towns at the other two ports.

Hey boys, how are you? What tour are you guys thinking you'll do?

Hello. This will be our family first Disney Cruise and first to Alaska. It will be 4 of us DW, DD's (14 and 12), and myself. We already have some excursions planned w/outside providers and will be booking some w/Disney. We have room for 2 people (6 max) in a private tour in Ketchikan which we booked and willing to share if our itinerary matches yours. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll provide the details. In the past, we have shared WDW VIP tours w/others and it worked out great for everyone.

i just booked 3 nights at the Sutton Place hotel for under $300/night which seems like a deal in Vancouver. it has a 4 1/2 star rating. it is 1km down 1 street from Canada Place, so a quick inexpensive taxi ride. It is near Robson St. that has a lot of shops and restaurants.

There is a "SkyTrain" that goes directly from the airport, as well as from the area around the airport, to the Waterfront station very close to the Canada Place dock complex where the Wonder docks. Since we are arriving late Sunday PM (it will feel later as we are East Coast'ers), we will be staying near YVR that evening.

One can't board the ship until Noon'ish usually, so there will be plenty of time that morning for us to visit a convenience store ("London Drugs" is the CVS/WalGreens of Canada it appears), get our Transit passes, and then take the train to Waterfront (there are actually two separate "Waterfront" stations for two SkyTrain routes, but they are right near each other). There is a lovely YouTube that shows "how to walk from the Waterfront train stop to Canada Place," that closes with a delightful reveal of the DCL Wonder that we will all come to love very much.

After the cruise, we will be spending a couple of nights at hotel in Downtown and then flying off on Wednesday am.

For excursions we're thinking of one of the kayaking ones (probably in Juneau to get close to Mendenhall Glacier) and then there is a rock climbing/rappelling that looks fun in Skagway. We've haven't made up our minds yet but those are the ones we're leaning towards.

I made my final payment on the cruise! Now I have to wait until May for excursions.

I am hoping for the 5-Glacier Seaplane Excursion from Juneau; Yukon Expedition from Skagway - being Canadian it gives us a chance to visit the Yukon, which we probably wouldn't do otherwise; and the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer from Ketchikan. I am also hoping to do the Glacier Explorer tour from the ship on the day we do Tracey Arm or the other Glacier. Less than 5 months now!!

Wow, we are just PIF'd with our Disney Visa. Youch!

Now comes the more-funner part as we plan our Palo supper (Aug 23rd, as we pull away from Tracy Arm Fjord at sunset:flower1:) and our (probably non-Disney) excursions from S, J & K.

This will be a very nice trip to a beautiful part of the world.

Last edited:
We are cruising too! Me, DH, DS and my mom in 2 rooms. She did Alaska on Holland before. Its our 7th Disney cruise. Would love to do FE if anyone is up for organizing.

There is a "SkyTrain" that goes directly from the airport, as well as from the area around the airport, to the Waterfront station very close to the Canada Place dock complex where the Wonder docks. Since we are arriving late Sunday PM (it will feel later as we are East Coast'ers), we will be staying near YVR that evening.

One can't board the ship until Noon'ish usually, so there will be plenty of time that morning for us to visit a convenience store ("London Drugs" is the CVS/WalGreens of Canada it appears), get our Transit passes, and then take the train to Waterfront (there are actually two separate "Waterfront" stations for two SkyTrain routes, but they are right near each other). There is a lovely YouTube that shows "how to walk from the Waterfront train stop to Canada Place," that closes with a delightful reveal of the DCL Wonder that we will all come to love very much.

After the cruise, we will be spending a couple of nights at hotel in Downtown and then flying off on Wednesday am.

Actually, Shoppers Drug Mart is the big Canadian Drugstore. Rexall is trying to make a dent in the market. London Drugs might just be a BC thing. We don't have any London Drugs in Toronto. And if you are looking for alcohol you need to find a liquor store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!