Working for Disney

otheraccount

Earning My Ears
Hi guys,

I'm a longtime DISser, but wanting to go incognito for this question. Not sure where to put it, so mods please feel free to move.

I'm being recruited by Disney. I'd rather not reveal the role, but it is on the corporate side and non-parks. My initial impression is that the role has very little interaction with the parks. I've never seriously thought to work for them because I always wanted to separate my happy place from my work place, for fear that if too much of my "work" is wrapped up in Disney, I would never enjoy another trip in the same way I do today. Such a silly reason to drive a career decision, right? I think a lot would depend on other factors: work life balance, comp, benefits, etc and still early in the process, but need to start questioning these things internally.

I saw that other thread on "if you love what you do, it's not work" or whatever the wording was. I'm not a big believer in that - I wish I could believe it, but I just don't. I am very happy where I am today, but nothing is perfect and some things drive me crazy. I imagine some things would (of course) drive me crazy at Disney...so will I not want to go to the parks anymore as a result of getting too wrapped up in work? As I type this out, I see how silly I am being, but I really want to post the question for others.

Have others been in a similar position? Any thoughts on this? Thanks so much!

I’m not sure my situation even compares to
Yours but I work at the Disney Store because I can’t work at one of the parks because I can’t move. I have had a love of the Disney company since I was little, I did many book reports on it, and knew one day in some capacity I would work for the Disney company. So what I can do in my state without disrupting my husbands work or my kids life is work at The Disney Store. I have to say it makes me want to be at the parks more. I love being part of the company and am proud of that even though I know most don’t feel the Disney Store is a big part of the company

I’m not sure my situation even compares to
Yours but I work at the Disney Store because I can’t work at one of the parks because I can’t move. I have had a love of the Disney company since I was little, I did many book reports on it, and knew one day in some capacity I would work for the Disney company. So what I can do in my state without disrupting my husbands work or my kids life is work at The Disney Store. I have to say it makes me want to be at the parks more. I love being part of the company and am proud of that even though I know most don’t feel the Disney Store is a big part of the company
Wow, I think our situations are very similar and I so appreciate you sharing your story - I grew up loving Disney, too! And in the end, I want to feel as you do (bolded), and I want to work with people who feel as you do. Thank you again for sharing!

In my experience, if I would buy a company's stock, I wouldn't want to work for them. In other words, companies with great stock performance and earnings usually get that way at the expense of their employees. Disney stock is pretty good, so I'd look at how they treat their employees whether they work in the corporate offices or in other areas. This should be easy enough to Google.

In my experience, if I would buy a company's stock, I wouldn't want to work for them. In other words, companies with great stock performance and earnings usually get that way at the expense of their employees. Disney stock is pretty good, so I'd look at how they treat their employees whether they work in the corporate offices or in other areas. This should be easy enough to Google.
Yes, this occurred to me as well, and I have some insight into their corporate culture and it is a factor, one that I am looking into closely. Thank you!

You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you, so ask those questions during the interview process. Work life balance, company culture, and atmosphere are all questions you should ask about.

Very interesting. I can give some insight as I am in somewhat similar situation. I work for one of the world's largest airline groups. I loove flying, as a kids was facinated, my dream job was being a flight attendent. I love the whole inflight experience, design of airline seats, catering, etc... I love airports too, and really look and experience them in a more different way than most.. For me the travel/ flyiing is somewhat exciting as going to WDW in that for me it's an experience and I take it all in.

Well I am not a flight attendent but work on the corporate/executive mangement side. Our division is responsible for sales/commercial activities for our airline group. I do not experience the "fun" things of our industry. I deal with contracts, numbers, KPIs, work processes and project management.. So the travel experience has really nothing to do with my work. I could be doing the same thing for a different company or industry. just my work id says the airline name

recently in our WHQ we had an exhibit showcasing our brand management and there were displays of infligth and board proceses changes.. Was cool looking at which blankets are being produced or new cups..

now had I been a flight attendent, I might HATE to see airports or the inside of a plane in my time off.. but on the corporate side, these are "field trip" things for me.. to get away from the desk.. I can see at WDW certain roles are similar. If one is a waitstaff at Chef Mickey's I am sure they have no desire to eat there on their day off. Same probably as park employees... they cant wait to get away from the crowds...

Working on the corporate side( not sure of the position) can have good and bad.. 1. You make more than the line staff in most cases 2 You see all the financial political decisions or may have to make them yourself that you personally disagree with.. I personally dont enjoy having to pay for checked luggage, but I see the long-term good reason why from the industry side.

Plus you get the discounts!

So the travel experience has really nothing to do with my work. I could be doing the same thing for a different company or industry. just my work id says the airline name

I was going to say something similar. I think it depends on the skill you're being recruited for. I'm an accountant. Honestly, working for Disney would be the same thing for me - just the company name and corporate culture would be different than most places I could work. OTOH, there are lots of skills on the corporate side that directly translate into customer experience that you might not think of. I know someone that works for Disney corporate and has had to be immersed in the Disney experience to test the product at times. Not always, but sometimes.

Honestly, at this point in my life, my question would simply be "what's my commute going to be like?" :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Yep my thought exactly. I don’t want to see how the sausage is made. I’m not naive. I know what most likely goes on there is not unlike any other greedy corporation. I’d rather not see things that I couldn’t unsee.

On the Imagineering side they pay is not that great. Given the high demand for IT people (and the quality of their software systems) at Disney I would assume that pay is not great either.

Definitely take the interview. You have nothing to lose.

It doesn't hurt to interview. Like somebody else said, you're interviewing them, too, in order to determine whether or not it's a place you'd want to work.

I agree. It never hurts to keep your options open and see what other opportunities exist. Your current company may get sold or there could be consolidations that impact your job. Never hurts to look around and keep your options open. An interview doesn't mean you will get the job or that you even accept what they might offer. An interview is a chance to learn something about the specific job they are offering as well as learn a bit more about the company. With most any job opportunity you want to work at a financially stable, well-run business. The fact they are recruiting you means they have some interest in your skills and abilities.

In a company as large as Disney, I am sure there are many types of jobs that don't involve the public or working at one of their parks. It is difficult to make generalizations about any company or job just based on what you read about them. What specific job you do, who your boss is, etc. are all things that can impact your work experience. If yours is the type of job with some upward mobility, getting a job and the chance to grow into other positions isn't something to overlook.

I doubt that working in some administrative position would have any impact on your enjoyment of going to a Disney park/vacation.

Very interesting. I can give some insight as I am in somewhat similar situation. I work for one of the world's largest airline groups. I loove flying, as a kids was facinated, my dream job was being a flight attendent. I love the whole inflight experience, design of airline seats, catering, etc... I love airports too, and really look and experience them in a more different way than most.. For me the travel/ flyiing is somewhat exciting as going to WDW in that for me it's an experience and I take it all in.

Well I am not a flight attendent but work on the corporate/executive mangement side. Our division is responsible for sales/commercial activities for our airline group. I do not experience the "fun" things of our industry. I deal with contracts, numbers, KPIs, work processes and project management.. So the travel experience has really nothing to do with my work. I could be doing the same thing for a different company or industry. just my work id says the airline name

recently in our WHQ we had an exhibit showcasing our brand management and there were displays of infligth and board proceses changes.. Was cool looking at which blankets are being produced or new cups..

now had I been a flight attendent, I might HATE to see airports or the inside of a plane in my time off.. but on the corporate side, these are "field trip" things for me.. to get away from the desk.. I can see at WDW certain roles are similar. If one is a waitstaff at Chef Mickey's I am sure they have no desire to eat there on their day off. Same probably as park employees... they cant wait to get away from the crowds...

Working on the corporate side( not sure of the position) can have good and bad.. 1. You make more than the line staff in most cases 2 You see all the financial political decisions or may have to make them yourself that you personally disagree with.. I personally dont enjoy having to pay for checked luggage, but I see the long-term good reason why from the industry side.

Plus you get the discounts!
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, all of it makes sense and makes me feel better about exploring further.

I was going to say something similar. I think it depends on the skill you're being recruited for. I'm an accountant. Honestly, working for Disney would be the same thing for me - just the company name and corporate culture would be different than most places I could work. OTOH, there are lots of skills on the corporate side that directly translate into customer experience that you might not think of. I know someone that works for Disney corporate and has had to be immersed in the Disney experience to test the product at times. Not always, but sometimes.

Honestly, at this point in my life, my question would simply be "what's my commute going to be like?" :rotfl2:
YES. We laugh, but this is true.

In a company as large as Disney, I am sure there are many types of jobs that don't involve the public or working at one of their parks. It is difficult to make generalizations about any company or job just based on what you read about them. What specific job you do, who your boss is, etc. are all things that can impact your work experience. If yours is the type of job with some upward mobility, getting a job and the chance to grow into other positions isn't something to overlook.

I doubt that working in some administrative position would have any impact on your enjoyment of going to a Disney park/vacation.
Thank you for this sound advice. This would be my #1 deciding factor.

I definitely am taking the interview. I usually do well on the first one LOL, so we'll see how the second one goes.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate your thoughts!

My only take on this is a little story I’ll share. When I was married a few years ago and had my pictures taken in the parks, we drove around with our photographer and her assistant. My husband to be and I were loving all the behind the scenes things we were privy to that day, and had time to chit-chat with the Disney photographer. I asked her if she spent a lot of time in the parks when not working- I can’t describe the look on her face, but I’ll never forget it- she looked at me like I had two (ugly) heads. Her answer (no, only if I have family visiting). This stood out to me because it was such a sad (to me) reply.

We will likely retire to Florida eventually because we have family there and its an attractive retirement state to us. In the back of my mind I think that I wouldn’t mind working for Disney part-time in retirement, then I think of the photographer and wonder if maybe not.

I totally understand your concern. I worked for the Disney Florist for awhile. For me, it really took away a lot of the magic. Behind the scene is a lot different than what guests witness. Your situation sounds like you might be removed enough from the parks that it won't matter, but it is definitely something to consider.

Hi guys,

I'm a longtime DISser, but wanting to go incognito for this question. Not sure where to put it, so mods please feel free to move.

I'm being recruited by Disney. I'd rather not reveal the role, but it is on the corporate side and non-parks. My initial impression is that the role has very little interaction with the parks. I've never seriously thought to work for them because I always wanted to separate my happy place from my work place, for fear that if too much of my "work" is wrapped up in Disney, I would never enjoy another trip in the same way I do today. Such a silly reason to drive a career decision, right? I think a lot would depend on other factors: work life balance, comp, benefits, etc and still early in the process, but need to start questioning these things internally.

I saw that other thread on "if you love what you do, it's not work" or whatever the wording was. I'm not a big believer in that - I wish I could believe it, but I just don't. I am very happy where I am today, but nothing is perfect and some things drive me crazy. I imagine some things would (of course) drive me crazy at Disney...so will I not want to go to the parks anymore as a result of getting too wrapped up in work? As I type this out, I see how silly I am being, but I really want to post the question for others.

Have others been in a similar position? Any thoughts on this? Thanks so much!
I wish I had this problem.
Which decision would you regret making more? Staying put or taking the new job?
If Disney isn’t your dream job, what is? What’s the next step in getting to that job?

My only take on this is a little story I’ll share. When I was married a few years ago and had my pictures taken in the parks, we drove around with our photographer and her assistant. My husband to be and I were loving all the behind the scenes things we were privy to that day, and had time to chit-chat with the Disney photographer. I asked her if she spent a lot of time in the parks when not working- I can’t describe the look on her face, but I’ll never forget it- she looked at me like I had two (ugly) heads. Her answer (no, only if I have family visiting). This stood out to me because it was such a sad (to me) reply.

I don’t see it as sad. To her, it’s just a job. Not her whole life. I feel like people
Can’t fathom “just” working for Disney but people do see it that way. I work corporate for a large company and I don’t visit the stores on my days off. Yes different I know but I think the theory applies.

I saw that other thread on "if you love what you do, it's not work" or whatever the wording was. I'm not a big believer in that - I wish I could believe it, but I just don't. I am very happy where I am today, but nothing is perfect and some things drive me crazy. I imagine some things would (of course) drive me crazy at Disney...so will I not want to go to the parks anymore as a result of getting too wrapped up in work?
First: My mom has worked in one industry for over 40 years, and has really only worked for 2 different companies over that time. She LOVES her job, she's very passionate about it, but it is still work.

Anyway. I think you should at least go through the interview process. Get as much of an idea of what work would be like as you can. If you get to the end and you like the interactions you had, go for it. That's what made my mom go from a company she was with for 30+ years and move to a new company. The new company was a better fit for her lifestyle: better pay, better hours, and (most importantly) A LOT more respect for what she does. You can walk away at any point you don't feel like it's a good fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter