Worst Things About Hollywood Studios?

I'll second what others have said.
1. Lack of shade (especially in TSL- this is a brand new land. Perhaps Andy could have some trees in his back yard? Parachutes for the Army men? There are ways of adding shade and keeping with the theming).
2. Lack of great QS or TS. I like Sci-Fi Dine-in, I don't hate Prime Time, and while I love Brown Derby I don't always want signature dining. Backlot Express wins my QS business most often because it has refills and air conditioning. I don't need another hot dog or chicken tender, surely there are some ways to bring in more creative options.
3. Some of the shows really need an update/ overhaul/ closure.
4. TSL- this is a brand new land and it looks run down and worn. The one area to eat is constantly full with no available seating, and no air conditioning. The only thing there with A/C that isn't TSMM is the restroom. How they managed to not shove a gift shop in there with A/C I'm not sure.
5. Layout- there is no good way to move around without back tracking, and things are just flung into areas. Star Wars Launch Bay is jammed between Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Disney Jr Dance Party, then around the corner is the Jedi movie (and when can we be done with that?), and across the park is Jedi Training and Star Tours. Would Haunted Mansion make sense in Tomorrowland? Would you move the Mexico Pavilion next to Test Track? How about a safari through Dinoland?

The quick service is so bad that they should be ashamed. It is just so boring. There is no reason that they cant have more variety and quality here. There is good and bad in every park. But Hollywood Studios is just forgettable.

Baseline is cool, but if you don't want beer or a counter service filet with puff pastry(lol), then what is the point? Also it needs 3 times the seating, its so cramped inside or out when its crowded.

Take every QS location and make each place worth visiting on its own. I mean, you have got Spring rolls, waffle fried chicken sandwiches, bacon on a stick, churros, lobster rolls, tacos, fried cauliflower etc. in MK in just 2 of the themed lands.

HS is all bad burgers, chicken nuggets, bland pizza and not fresh salads. In multiple places for each of those.

Just have some creativity. Im not asking for Satu'li canteen.

Last edited:
I LOVE HS, but it frustrates me. This park could be so awesome and so much more, but it is very disorganized and mish-mashed around. I love the theming of ToT, we adore Sci Fi (maybe because it doesn't pretend to be something it's not), TSL is super fun (and blazing hot!), but the whole Star Wars invasion stuck in the Disney Junior area (yes, it's going to be fixed, I imagine), lands that don't flow well. This park leads to a lot of criss crossing.

And that TSL rope drop is a hot mess. Better, but still not magical by any stretch of the imagination.

I want so very much to love 50's Prime time, but just can't. The food is not something I would ever seek out. There seems to be two parties of LOVING 50s and really avoiding 50s. I wish they would retheme it to be more 50s...serve family style with jello salad, cheese ball and crackers, the relish tray with olives and stuffed celery, meatloaf, bbq ribs, salmon croquettes, ham with pineapple, mac and cheese, chiffon pies, banana and nilla wafer pudding, upside down pineapple cake, snowball (icecream scoop rolled in coconut), etc. (yes, severe lack of veg!)

Please do not take away the milkshakes! They are the only saving grace of the place.

I adore the shows, and am a big fan of The Little Mermaid, but that show does not do her justice. Repurpose the space. I do not like the new Disney Junior show. I've been watching it since Bear in the big Blue House and Lilttle Einsteins. This new reincarnation is loud and sensory draining. Not everything needs to be so intense, especially for little kids.

My face hurts from smiling and laughing at the Frozen show. This is so working! And Indy will always have a place in my heart!

For me, HS has lost its Hollywood flavor. It feels like a mist-mosh of stuff that doesn't have a home....Muppets (needs to be updated), Star Wars, RnR / TOT, shows that have needed some updating or rotation of other shows, the hat is gone...you can't see the Theatre because of the stage...it just feels so catch-as-catcb-can. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE RnR! I love Star Tours. I love TSMM. But the park, itself, I can skip. ...and now with the SWGE bringing throngs to the park...I have already determined that this is a skippable park for at least a year after its opening. I used to love the Stunt Car Show, the Power Rangers, Characterpalooza on Streets of America... not to mention the Osborne Lights.

Toy Story Land is an absolute bottle neck with no shade. Rope drop with the race to TSL/SDD is insane- pushing, shoving, etc. The lack of decent counter service food is a problem.

I would have to disagree with the PP's opinion of Mama Melrose-- we really enjoy it and think the food is decent. Love their Chicken Campenelle. We try to eat there about every trip.
We had a wonderful experience at Mama Melrose! I love the atmosphere and our food was excellent. Heavy but excellent.

Probably a different conversation but I do miss the Old Hollywood vibe. We still miss TGMR. I realize the park vibe/direction is changing and I’m a SW fan. But that park had such a wonderful feel to it. Our second favorite park in terms of vibe. I wish they could have added to the park without changing the core of the park. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I'll also agree with food options are awful and the layout has always bothered me. Frankly, it's been my least favorite park for about a decade now and I really only hop over for Characterpalooza and Fantasmic. I remember loving MGM as a kid, but those days are long gone.

For me, HS has lost its Hollywood flavor. It feels like a mist-mosh of stuff that doesn't have a home....Muppets (needs to be updated), Star Wars, RnR / TOT, shows that have needed some updating or rotation of other shows, the hat is gone...you can't see the Theatre because of the stage...it just feels so catch-as-catcb-can. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE RnR! I love Star Tours. I love TSMM. But the park, itself, I can skip. ...and now with the SWGE bringing throngs to the park...I have already determined that this is a skippable park for at least a year after its opening. I used to love the Stunt Car Show, the Power Rangers, Characterpalooza on Streets of America... not to mention the Osborne Lights.
Oh the Osborne lights. We miss them so much!

Adding...I really love parades and miss the Pixar Pals Parade! Parades are so fun and help pull people out of rides, dropping wait times, and they also make for an easy break in the day. Plus there's nothing more magical than watching your toddler wave to her "idols"!

HS feels like a park where they just dumped stuff that didn't really belong anywhere else. It's not themed very well at all, the IPs in the park are a weird array, lots of things feel old and outdated, it's just a mess. I am excited for SWGE, but I worry that may not be enough to save HS for me personally. It's our most-skipped park. I also just physically cannot deal with not being able to escape the sun because I will pass out, so this park is borderline dangerous for me. TSL wasn't enough to draw us in last trip. Honestly, the whole park needs a complete overhaul but I know that will never happen.

You may be conflating Hollywood Studios with Universal a bit there. Fear Factor and Twister were both at Universal. "Earthquake" was too, but the Backlot Tour at Disney had the very similar scene in "Catastrophe Canyon." Ghostbusters were also only at Universal. I get that you miss that stuff, but Uni took some of it away too. Of course, maybe it's in what they added, like Harry Potter, etc. but it's not like Hollywood Studios doesn't have Star Wars coming soon.
You're right, they were.... shows you how much time I've spent there (either park) recently.

I pulled out an old HS map- I guess the ones I was thinking of were - Lights, Camera, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. Studio Backlot Tour in particular.

I looked at a current Universal Studios map and its light on attractions too. With IoA it is easy to hop next door and have more options.

Universal has Harry and we'll have Star Wars. I guess if you're fans of those franchises, you're all set. I just find that while I want to have a great time at HS- after a few hours looking around and thinking that we're ready to go.

We usually move on to Epcot. Exactly what we're planning on our next trip.

This past trip was our first down towards tower of terror. One set of bathrooms? Really? The women's was so lined up that my 3 boys were out of the men's room before I even made it in the door of the women's.

Wider streets towards headliners.

Make it possible for me to see the shows in one day, not have to take breaks because I can't make it across the park before the next one starts. But really, can we change up Indiana Jones? It's cool, but the focus of the park isn't making movies anymore and that show is so old... like original to the park old.

RD could be handled better. Where did that line of people off to the side under the archway come from? I thought we were all following the CMs into TSL, but no, there's another line up. GE will only make it worse.

How about a replacement for HISTK? AK has the Dino dig, EPCOT has Living Seas for kids and MK is just, well, all for kids, but also has SFTreehouse and TS Island. DHS doesn't have a "burn off some energy" place for kids.

Shade and seating would be nice. If I buy an ice cream, I'd like to sit nearby to eat it, not walk around while it melts until I can find a spot... or worse, have the family find a spot and now I have to run around trying to find ice cream to bring back before it melts.

More rides.

For us it's because it is not a multi-generational park. I go with my kids (tweens) and my mother who is almost 70.. Granted there are some 70s year olds who get a kick out of RNR, Star Wars etc.. but not mom. She phycially cannot do it. The poor thing has sat HOURS in the AC at the ABC comminssary, bored waiting for us.. That is the only option she has to sit or do anything, anywhere indoors where it is cool.

... We gave up HS for her last year.. We are smart now and let her hang out at the resort and we meet up later.

she loved the Great Movie Ride while that lasted, has seen all the shows... Lights Camera action was though too loud and HOT for her. When the kids were little she couldnt do the Disney Channel show ( Really Disney are you gonna make adults and old people sit on the floor!!! my mom would not phycially be able to do that).
She is mobile but cannot really do any type of "action" rides at HS.. the TSM she can do.. But that is the only ride...

at ecpcot she can do all rides except TT and Mission Mars.. AND look at the shops to keep herself busy, plenty of indoor places to sit. .. AK; she can walk around, take the train, bugs life. safari more shows, zoo, plenty of indoor places to eat at QS and sit and wait for us.

.. and off ourse MK,, she can ride anything like POC etc.... the mountains, or SM no. She loves the people mover.. that is her type of thing. Plenty of indoor, cool things for her to do.

Edit: added one more point: it's not a park you can simply stroll for hours and take in the sights. There is just something missing there. I can spend hours at the other parks and not ride anything and be happy.. HS is a place I run in with my kids and ride the rides we want and then get out.

one more thing.. those bus stops are really too far out there. parking trams are closer to the park than those bus stops.

I totally agree with this. It’s not what I consider a multi-generational park and I don’t expect the addition of the Star Wars stuff to change that. My nephews love ToT, RnR and SDD, so I sit patiently waiting for much of the day. I love the shows (don’t go messing with my Beauty and the Beast, people!) and they patiently sit with me for those. But probably the only one really enthusiastic Venn spot we have is TSM.

The worst thing about Hollywood Studios, in my family's opinion, is that it does not measure up to any of the other parks in any way. Food, theming, rides, overall feel - the other three parks are quite different but fairly well-matched in these categories, with some slight differences depending on personal preference. Hollywood Studios does not even come close to measuring up to any of the other parks, in any category.

OMG! THIS! I never really could give a good solid reason for my family not visiting this park in 18 years. But you just nailed it. Do I hate it...nope. It just doesn't pull to me like the other three do. Are we visiting this park on our visit in June....nope. TSL just isn't enough to even try. Will we visit in 3-4 years when we return to scope out SWGE....most absolutely!

1- TSL is way cool- love it- but it could be so much more! Add a TOY STORE with a/c and some benches so get out of the heat, and a PIZZA PLANET with a/c and seating to get out of the heat, and well... another way to get in and out.... you’re all set!
2- love MM. The saltimbocca there was my favorite meal anywhere, ever, sooooo delicious!
3- agree that show times need to flow better. And maybe update F!? :duck:, love SWAGS tho.
4- hoping it’s more than a half day park for us when the new M&M ride and SW opens.
Well, with SW for sure it will be. Just roaming that land will take half a day :darth::chewy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts