Would you go solo during Christmas?

Redbudlover

DIS Veteran
Would you go solo during Christmas? I have really been considering going solo to WDW this Christmas. Not that I don't have options.... My DS and DDIL and DGD live in the city as do my DS inlaws. His DMIL is a pretty passive aggressive individual and tries to co-opt all the holiday gatherings. WE have been sharing, but last year totally upset and ticked me off. Because I am recently divorced the argument went that the reason we should go there to her little dirty house rather than my nice big clean house is because more of the relatives live near her than me...

Shoot I like her most of the time, but you can see my anger peeking through. So I thought the heck with it. I will just take myself down to AKL which I love for six nights and kick back alone in a place I love and escape the work and tension of the holiday... Made my deposit. Then I got to worrying....

Would I end up feeling sorry for myself if I am solo? Would I end up lonely? Would it be awful? I would not be going to punish or make my kids feel sorry for me. I love traveling solo and being solo at WDW - have just never thought about doing it at Xmas. I just don't know. What do you think?

Have any of you gone solo at Christmas? I mean real Christmas - 12/19 to 12/26. I am thinking it would be great!

Hi, I will be a solo traveler during the first week of Dec. I have the best time alone. I do what I want, this year I am going to MVMCP. I say go and enjoy yourself. I know what you mean about family. One year I actually begged my boss to let me work.

Well I too have been thinking about Disney for the holidays.:santa:

I seem to get very depressed around the holidays (long story), so I thought what better place to make me "cheery" and get in the spirit of things.

How does your family feel about your planning to be away for Christmas??

But you really have to think about yourself and what will make YOU happy.

But know you are not alone - holidays can be very tough on people for many different reasons. If only we all had that "hallmark card" kind of Christmas!!

Well I too have been thinking about Disney for the holidays.:santa:

I seem to get very depressed around the holidays (long story), so I thought what better place to make me "cheery" and get in the spirit of things.

How does your family feel about your planning to be away for Christmas??

But you really have to think about yourself and what will make YOU happy.

But know you are not alone - holidays can be very tough on people for many different reasons. If only we all had that "hallmark card" kind of Christmas!!

Well I haven't said anything to them as yet... Grabbed the ressie and am thinking about it. I have a conference in Orlando in May, so if I decide not to go I could transfer the package to then....

I have always just loved Christmas :santa: - it was my favorite time of year, but this wrangling makes me crazy. I think it is time for a new tradition - and so am thinking about traveling every other year. Then I can claim the other Christmas for me without any trouble.:rolleyes1

If you decide to go down alone let me know - maybe we can have lunch together...

Do it! There are so many activities to do during that time, Candlelight Processional for one that no one will notice that you are solo, also taking the time to listen to the Christmas stories in each country in EPCOT, the only time it may seem a little strange maybe Christmas Day when in your mind and actually all of us, it is traditionally "family". I would rather be in Disney then dealing with the "family issues" that alot of people contend with during the holidays and then gripe about it afterwards but do nothing about separating themselves from it. If Disney is what makes you happy and it lets you relax compared to being stressed then do it! You know you probably will have some takers for a lunch or dinner, post another thread asking if any solos are interested in say a Christmas lunch or dinner or some other time. There are also many locals in the area that are single and may jump at the chance to meet someone new.

Thanks Chyam,

YOu are right. It is Christmas Eve and Christmas day that concern me. I need to envision how I might spend those days. Certainly not spend the entire day cooking and cleaning up!!!

3 years ago I spent Christmas week in Disney World solo. I was in a bad relationship with a guy that hated Disney. I wanted to go and I had the vacation time so off I went and it was great. No problem, I could do what I wanted when I wanted. I toured all the resorts and checked out their decorations. I had a blast. Christmas day was a bit weird, I spoke to my family on the phone. My step mother congratulated me on being so "independant" then she said she would "kill herself" if she was alone on Christmas!:sad2: This is funny because my stepmother is a bit of a drama queen. ;) I brushed it off. On Christmas morning I had chocolate Santa's and Mickey's left for me in my room! All in all it was worth it. I had a great time. I say go for it!:thumbsup2

Me (46) dh (58) and dd (23) will be at POP starting Dec. 23 leaving on Jan. 1. If any of you solos want to join us for a meal during that time so you don't have to eat alone, just let me know. We have our advanced DDP reservations but I think we should be able to add to it. (and I could fill you in on what we have) We get lots of strange questions from friends/family that don't understand us travelling at xmas time. But for us it is normal. We are really friendly and always willing to meet others. We usually take a cruise once per year and get large table seating so we can meet others.
Becky/Dan/Aimee
We are from St. Louis, MO

Forgot to mention that back in May dd went to Disney Hong Kong solo. She said people were great. So when we talked about someone possibly joining us for a meal - she was excited.

Dear Pigfishin,

When you posted your message I (60) wasn't sure I would be going at Christmas - am still not entirely sure, but 90% now. I would love to join your family at one of your meals. My youngest son lives in Taiwan and I visited him this summer and would love to hear about about your dd's trip! I will be at AK 12/19 to 12/26 and have scheduled a full complement of ADRs just in case. What are your plans?

I too have done Christmas solo, and it wasn't too bad actually. My sister was supposed to come, but she got snowed in. So I just relaxed and did my own thing. It was surprisingly refreshing to have a little bit of time to myself. Christmas day was a bit strange, but it was pretty nice. I avoided the parks in the morning, but hit EPCOT in the afternoon. It wasn't even too crowded. My sister spent Christmas with our parents, so it was all good for her too. If it's something you really want to do, do it. You're not going to regret it.

If going will make you happy, then I say go. Discuss your plans & decision privately with your son, so he is not put in a difficult position. Also, tell him that going forward, you want to do Christmas at your house every other year and his inlaws can do it every other year. This way it stays even, makes things easier and less stressful. When my DB got married, they did this. One year they were at her family and the following year they were with us. My DSis & family go to her inlaws for breakfast on Christmas morning, then we get together at her house in the afternoon for dinner and relaxing (we cook and help clean). This has worked out great for everyone.

Make sure to book any ADR's now, as the restaurants will be packed. Also, plan on heavy, heavy crowds too. Hope you have a great and relaxing time!!!

I sent you a private message with info on our dining plans. Let me know what you think? I am sure we can add you to anything except maybe the Liberty tree (cause we already have a table for 4). I know there are no tables for 3 so it should be easy to add one to any of our reservs.
Becky

Hi, everyone, Thanks for the support. I appreciate it. It is good to know someone else actually went solo for that date and enjoyed it. I was beginning to wonder about myself. I have pretty much made up my mind to do this. My youngest son is in Taiwan and will be home to celebrate Christmas with me in January, :santa: so I think I am going to approach it both emotionally and rationally that way with my oldest son. That I want to celebrate with them in January with my youngest DS and DDIL - and start the custom of having every other year with me. If they are too upset, I could still change things, but we will see.

I have made my ADRs for everything and have reserved two tours. I am going to try to meet up with some dissers while there and Pigfishin - thanks for your invitation - I am going to look at my schedule and yours and see what works best. I really appreciate your open heart.:love:

I'm seriously considering it..

If you are there solo and want to share a meal or hang out for a while, let me know and I will send you the schedule I have already. Some things I am flexible on and others not so - but I do have an ADR for the candlight processional on Christmas EVE!!! I am 60, but I am fun!

I hate my friggin computer. Had a message all typed and then lost the internet connection. :mad:

Redbudlover - Please look at your schedule and see if there is a time that you would be able to dine w/us. We love to meet people and we are fun also. :thumbsup2
My dh was in Taiwan in the service so you two could compare then and now notes of what it is like. :)
We look forward to meeting you.

If anyone else is going at Christmas and wants to dine, let me know. Since we are a party of 3 we always have an extra space. (cause they don't make tables for 3).
Pigfishinn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter