Wow, the food is bad at Discovery Cove

New vision .... I would mention about 'cafeteria':

years back the DC food was a full buffet and you could simply scoop and serve yourself

not so now

there IS a 'cafeteria' line and the servers prepare plates and you select a plate ... and slide along the line.

Mains are 'dished' while other stuff is help yourself.

Is the service cafeteria style? ABSOLUTELY

and the plates are paper and the cutlery plastic

OMG

(IME servers were very responsive to can I have a lil more this, or that vs this . . . )

I would have literally preferred McDonalds, @Capt_BJ.

The eggs were just one of several things I found to be extremely subpar. Just thought I'd share the picture, since I mentioned it in my OP. Note the drop of egg on the bottom right of the picture. Also note that "drop of egg" is not an expression you should use when describing your breakfast. :-)

looks like you got the end of a pan

ours looked nothing like this as you can see in the picture I posted. Mrs simply would not take that plate. No runny eggs for her.

Last time I was there (a couple of years ago), the eggs made me sick... and let me tell you, getting sick to your stomach when you can't get a wet suit off quickly, is NO FUN!

Any more recent reviews out there?

6 visits over 8 years, and while it's not quite "bad" but the quality is a bit down on the more recent trips compared to what it used to be. It's a bit less "chain restaurant" level and closer to "cafeteria."
Yes, sadly, the offerings & quality have certainly declined as to the food offerings. Those who didn’t experience it when it was top notch, really have no comparison. IMO there was a dramatic shift approx 5 years ago (based upon that annual visit observations)

It doesn't ruin the day or anything but there's various ways it just feels like they're scrimping pennies over the last 5-6 years. I'm prepared to have fast-food disappointment at SeaWorld & Aquatica and other parks, but it's disappointing when DC used to be a cut above.
I’ve adjusted my expectations and no longer tout the food when recommending it to others. Would I not do DC because of what I feel is a decline in the food? No :)

It’s not just DC or SW, all the local parks have cut back as to CS food. It’s just that being offered previously great food, was such a nice addition to the total DC experience.

Any more recent reviews out there?

Went again two weeks ago!

Food was about the same as last year; certainly no further decline or anything like that. We all enjoyed what we got. One thing that was crazy though was even waiting a little later for lunch (I think we went around 1-1:30) the lines to get served were just ridiculous. There's no reason it should take that long to serve food from a small list of items, especially when no one needs to take out cash and pay. I'd say it could have just been the combo of staff working that day but the lines were equally long on both sides of the building. They need to find a way to improve that process; Disney's pretty good about sending someone out into a line to accommodate special requests and keep things moving. This was just disorganized. I remember it being bad last year too, which I didn't think much of, but now it's two in a row.

This was my first trip since the changes to what's included in the base drink package. Anecdotal observation: the smaller bar by the stingray lagoon happily gave us Pina Coladas or Mango Daiquiris with the base package. But if you try to order one over at the full bar near the lazy river entrance / waterfall, they will only offer base beer and wine. YMMV.

One thing that was crazy though was even waiting a little later for lunch (I think we went around 1-1:30) the lines to get served were just ridiculous. There's no reason it should take that long to serve food from a small list of items, especially when no one needs to take out cash and pay. I'd say it could have just been the combo of staff working that day but the lines were equally long on both sides of the building. They need to find a way to improve that process; Disney's pretty good about sending someone out into a line to accommodate special requests and keep things moving. This was just disorganized. I remember it being bad last year too, which I didn't think much of, but now it's two in a row.
Thanks for recent info! Can’t say I’ve experienced that over last few trips but those visits when it’s slow and they only hadone side open. Never thought about how it works with special requests or true allergy issues. You’d think they’d have info available online as to alternative menu or ask at checkin if any food allergies & have a chef or rep available to answer questions
the smaller bar by the stingray lagoon happily gave us Pina Coladas or Mango Daiquiris with the base package.
Our favorite bar there, beach area to set up camp for that matter.

I would have literally preferred McDonalds, @Capt_BJ.

The eggs were just one of several things I found to be extremely subpar. Just thought I'd share the picture, since I mentioned it in my OP. Note the drop of egg on the bottom right of the picture. Also note that "drop of egg" is not an expression you should use when describing your breakfast. :-)

View attachment 430632

That is beyond disgusting, wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!