WWYD -- Portofino vs. HRH?

Anonomom

DIS Veteran
I have a reservation right now for a Club-Level room at HRH (using Stay-more-save-more). Today, I realized that we could get a deluxe queen room at Portofino for $200 less a night. I can't decide what to do. We're a family of 5 going for Spring Break.

Pros for Portofino:

1. $200/night cheaper (this, of course, is a big, huge PRO)
2. We've stayed there before and it's a lovely hotel
3. Their breakfast buffet is pretty good
4. HUGE hotel room, at almost 500sf. Nice with 5 people.
5. HRH is completely sold out for our dates; not sure if it will be unpleasantly crowded
6. Not sure how much we would use the lounge for the way we do Universal. Definitely for breakfast, but last trip we were in the parks all day (as opposed to at WDW, when our kids were smaller and had afternoon nap and early bedtime so we popped in and out of the lounge all day long).

Pros for Hard Rock

1. CL is generally a good value for us, at least at WDW (this would be our first CL stay at Uni). It provides breakfast, snacks, beverages and sometimes part of dinner. Saves us about $100/day.
2. We were looking forward to trying a new hotel.
3. Convenience. HRH is a very short walk to parks, and we like not having to drag everyone to a restaurant for breakfast.
4. Aside from the buffet restaurant, really didn't like the onsite dining options at Portofino.

I know we should be saving the money. It seems like a no-brainer. And yet, I find myself really sad at the idea of switching hotels.

WWYD?

If Club usually saves you $100 per day and switching resorts and losing Club saves you $200 per day, the math works out for changing.

But the emotions are on the side of sticking with what you have.

If parks open early during your stay even getting breakfast can be hard. Our first club stay at RPR (first uni trip) had breakfast battling with early entrance every day.

And then to get back for evening food and wine/cookies meant, well, we had to commit to being back. Depending on park hours that can be a serious consideration *away* from club level. Then again we only have 3 trying to maximize club level costs, not 5. :)

For me portofino is my fave and hard rock is my least fave so that part of the decision would be simple in my family. :)

Can you consult with family members to help with the decision?

I agree with PP. sounds like you want HRH. We don't do club either and we are a family of 5 but, being tied down to being back to the club just isn't our style. It's not worth it to me. HRH is also our least favorite hotel on property.

Having stayed in a deluxe room at PB for the first time late last year, I'd vote for that. I was amazed at how much room there was! Was me, DH, DS21 and DD20. We got a rollaway bed - and it's a full-size twin bed, like the lower half of a trundle bed, so the mattress never folds. DD said it was very comfortable. And put on the window-side of the 2nd queen bed, it didn't reduce the usable space in the room at all! We could still easily use the chairs and move around the room. We usually don't like to share a room, now that our kids are adults - but we would do so at PB again!

Have you thought about adding club level at PB? I think it's $100 a night, so would still be a savings over HR. . . If the booking site isn't showing PB club available, it might be worth a call to see if you can add it anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter