Yachtsman vs Flying Fish

WDWnurse

Earning My Ears
We’re heading to WDW in 2 weeks. 3 adults, seasoned WDW travellers. Planning an ADR for our arrival night. Can’t decide between the two. Suggestions are appreciated...

Really depends on the food you want. Flying Fish is mainly seafood, and done well. A few steaks. Yachtsman is mainly steaks (done well by reviews), with a little seafood.
I rarely get steak at a Seafood restaurant, nor do I get Seafood at a Steak restaurant.
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

We’re heading to WDW in 2 weeks. 3 adults, seasoned WDW travellers. Planning an ADR for our arrival night. Can’t decide between the two. Suggestions are appreciated...
Assuming you can obtain a reservation at either at this late-date, the answer is:

Which ever menu seems best for your tastes.

Ostensibly, there is little, if any, difference in quality and/or service.

And if you cannot get in to either, try nearby Swan & Dolphin Signatures, where availability is likely greater:
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/

We ate at Flying Fish at least twice every visit for years. Since the re-hab, we tried it once and have not been back. (Miss the Banana Napoleon!) We think Yachtsman is more consistent, the service less pretentious and a better value. We'll be there in 10 days!

We enjoy both,but since the FF remodel, we've gone twice and that might be it. Menu changed ,for us it's just not the same!

We enjoy both,but since the FF remodel, we've gone twice and that might be it. Menu changed ,for us it's just not the same!

Have you seen the newest round of changes? The potato wrapped snapper isn't back, but the leek fondue/red wine sauce pairing is now offered with their current fish choices. That was enough to get me to give them another try.

We ate at both during our November trip. We really enjoyed both but would return first to flying fish due to it being a bit more interesting.

We felt FF had a more unique menu -- the grilled octopus, scallop with Nero pasta, the pork belly appetizer -- were al interesting (and delicious!) items not found on standard seafood menus. The desserts were also like works of art and quite tasty.

Yachtsman we also enjoyed and had excellent perfectly cooked steaks. But it didn't necessarily offer anything that isn't found at the good steak houses where we live. And in fact, my dad rated his steak from cali grill as superior to theirs.

Both are definitely worth checking out and I think the decision ultimately rests on if you want steak or seafood

I would choose Yachtsman over FF. We really didn't like the food at FF after the refurb. That being said, if you aren't on the dining plan, I would highly recommend going to one of the Swan/Dolphin restaurants instead - Shula's for steak or bluezoo for seafood (and steak too!)

Have you seen the newest round of changes? The potato wrapped snapper isn't back, but the leek fondue/red wine sauce pairing is now offered with their current fish choices. That was enough to get me to give them another try.

I’ve seen it, and I’m sure that they are hoping to lure back old clientele with those offerings.

One of the best meals I’ve had anywhere was the Flying Fish Cafe’s “Taste of the Boardwalk” or some such description. It was half portions each of their Caesar salad and crab cake appetizer and half each of their NY strip steak and potato wrapped snapper, plus a full size banana Napoleon.

IMO, if they offered that meal again, the new FF would become a red hot ADR. :)

Really depends on exactly what you want to eat. The steak I've had at Yachtsman is excellent, but the seafood not so much. Flying Fish has always been phenomenal. I haven't been since the renovations, but I did speak to a CM who explained that while many people are disappointed their favorite menu items are no longer available, others are enamored with the new staff and updates. In general, I agree with the poster above -better restaurants a few steps away at the Dolphin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter