Yankee Candle Factory Deerfield MA... Is it worth the trip?

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
Going to go out of my way for 3 hours.. is it worth it??? Should I hug the coast and head towards Maine instead?

Is it an actual factory? I thought it was just a huge store? For an actual factory to see the candles made I'd make a 3 hour trip. For a huge store I wouldn't.
Where are you on your way too, or are you just looking to get away somewhere and have no plans yet?

I thought it was also a factory.. I know its a huge store..
I am planning a trip in Nov which will go like this (please feel free to jump in with opinions)

Arrive in Hartford spend one night (day 1)
Day2
Drive to Cape Cod
stop along the way in Providence
Stop in Plymouth
Arrive in Cape Cod
Day 3
Spend the day driving around Cape Cod/ maybe the ferry to Nantucket is running??
Maybe drive towards Newport or go back towards Plymouth
Day 4
Drive to Deerfield Yankee??
Drive towards Concord
Go to Salem
End in Boston

Remainder of the trip takes place in Boston

You might get more responses on the discussion forums of Trip Advisor for destinations like this.

Note, the suggestion is meant to be helpful for you to find information, not to suggest you go away or feel unwelcome here.

it is not a factory, just a huge store. They have some neat things and the restaurant is very nice. 3 hour detour to go? That depends on how much you like Yankee Candle.

I live in Deerfield. At one time the factory and the store were connected, but they have gotten way too big for that. It is a huge store (candles, house wears, clothing, and LOTS and LOTS of Christmas stuff. In addition there are some really fun "wax' activities relating to candle making for kids and adults... dipping candles, making wax hands, making samplers etc. It is worth a 3 hour drive IMHO... at least once.

If you do come, you can also visit Historic Deerfield (about 5 miles down route 5/10) which is a preserved colonial town that was attacked by the French and Indians in 1704... original buildings that you can go thru, the Flint museum, various activities etc. Great place to visit on a fall day.

http://www.historic-deerfield.org/

I am planning a trip in Nov which will go like this (please feel free to jump in with opinions)

Day2
Drive to Cape Cod
Stop in Plymouth
Arrive in Cape Cod
Day 3
Spend the day driving around Cape Cod/ maybe the ferry to Nantucket is running??
Day 4
Drive towards Concord
Go to Salem
End in Boston

Looking at your schedule and plans I would not take a 3 hour ride to see a big candle store.
I love the Cape and have only ever been there in the summer, if it were me I'd take a second day there.

I would head to Deerfield fromHar

Day2
Drive to Cape Cod
Stop in Plymouth
Arrive in Cape Cod
Day 3
Day 4
Drive towards Concord
Go to Salem
End in Boston

I would head to Deerfield from Hartford, it is an easy drive 1.5 hour down highway 91, right off exit 25

I live in Deerfield. At one time the factory and the store were connected, but they have gotten way too big for that. It is a huge store (candles, house wears, clothing, and LOTS and LOTS of Christmas stuff. In addition there are some really fun "wax' activities relating to candle making for kids and adults... dipping candles, making wax hands, making samplers etc. It is worth a 3 hour drive IMHO... at least once.

If you do come, you can also visit Historic Deerfield (about 5 miles down route 5/10) which is a preserved colonial town that was attacked by the French and Indians in 1704... original buildings that you can go thru, the Flint museum, various activities etc. Great place to visit on a fall day.

Thank you!! I love anything that has to do with History

That sounds a lot like the flagship store in Williamsburg. It's nice -we stop there most times we visit (but I'm only an hour away).

We used to live in NH, so I drove right past it on I-91, driving to/from CT to visit relatives. I stopped in once. Even being maybe 2 minutes out of my way, I wouldn't go a second time. Complete waste of time. Sure, they have every product they make (candles, car scents, fancy holders...), but really--it's candles. They try to gussy it up some, with a Christmas area and overpriced vendor stalls for food, but I was completely underwhelmed. Prices were the same as anywhere else.

If you just like their candles, consider going to the outlet store in Tilton, NH--smaller, better prices, no sales tax. Keep in mind that, even from Hartford, it's probably a good hour north, and once you're past Springfield/Holyoke, there's not much of anything to see and do (unless you like historic Deerfield). I've driven that route a few hundred times, it's not easy to even find a rest area.

Thanks... So you have been a help.. I do have other questions about MA and what else (aside from Boston) I can do..

I took my kids about 2yeara ago. It was a 2.5hour drive each way. Just a huge candle store.. it the Santa was AMAZING. We had to wait about an hour in line (We went in October) but he was worth it. Once.

Is it an actual factory? I thought it was just a huge store? For an actual factory to see the candles made I'd make a 3 hour trip. For a huge store I wouldn't.
Where are you on your way too, or are you just looking to get away somewhere and have no plans yet?

It used to be the actual factory, but maybe about 10 years ago (just a guess, it could be longer than that) they moved the actual production to another place a couple miles down the road.

It's more than just a big candle store, it's also a huge Christmas shop, it has a candle museum (which is just one room), it has a restaurant, a candy store, a build a bear kind of section, a home and kitchen section, a part where you can dip your own candles. The place is huge. I think it's a fun place to spend the afternoon and it makes a nice stop when you are on a road trip.

I went years ago. I think it only cost me 2 hours, but it was worth that. I love Christmas stores and remember dipping my own candles.

I love Yankee candles but they have priced themselves beyond my range. Sorry this adds nothing to the conversation, but I needed to share...

I love Yankee candles but they have priced themselves beyond my range. Sorry this adds nothing to the conversation, but I needed to share...

The seconds room at the store has some great deals, especially on the jar candles... usually really minor things like the wicks weren't centered perfectly

We used to live in NH, so I drove right past it on I-91, driving to/from CT to visit relatives. I stopped in once. Even being maybe 2 minutes out of my way, I wouldn't go a second time. Complete waste of time. Sure, they have every product they make (candles, car scents, fancy holders...), but really--it's candles. They try to gussy it up some, with a Christmas area and overpriced vendor stalls for food, but I was completely underwhelmed. Prices were the same as anywhere else.

If you just like their candles, consider going to the outlet store in Tilton, NH--smaller, better prices, no sales tax. Keep in mind that, even from Hartford, it's probably a good hour north, and once you're past Springfield/Holyoke, there's not much of anything to see and do (unless you like historic Deerfield). I've driven that route a few hundred times, it's not easy to even find a rest area.

WHAT!!! Nothing to do past Springfield... Oh my my my... you really need to come back for a visit to Western Mass... We are a very nice and unique New England small town area, with an amazing amount of cultural and arts options due to the the presences of the 5 colleges (Umass, Amherst, Smith,Mt Holyoke ,and Hampshire)

Northampton (awesome shopping, lots of very unique boutique shops and amazing eateries)...

Amherst (Eric Carle Museum)

Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory (down the road from Yankee Candle) http://www.magicwings.com/

Richardson's candy (amazing chocolates near Historic Deerfield)

Mohawk Trail...Shelburne Falls... Bridge of Flowers... MassMOCA

sigh... I love my hometown

If you just like their candles, consider going to the outlet store in Tilton, NH--smaller, better prices, no sales tax.

We have a Yankee Candle outlet here in Niagara Falls and if the NH outlet is anything like ours, then it tends to be different products/scents that aren't found in the traditional retail stores or the two flagship stores. It's usually product types and scents that are older, being phased out, have been phased out, or are just unpopular. You can find some things they do carry in the regular stores, but we've found the prices to be comparable and you can't use a coupon. They do have good prices on things that are unique to the outlet store which would be ideal for someone looking for different types of things, but it's always a disappointment for me. I prefer the regular store!

WHAT!!! Nothing to do past Springfield... Oh my my my... you really need to come back for a visit to Western Mass... We are a very nice and unique New England small town area, with an amazing amount of cultural and arts options due to the the presences of the 5 colleges (Umass, Amherst, Smith,Mt Holyoke ,and Hampshire)

Northampton (awesome shopping, lots of very unique boutique shops and amazing eateries)...

Amherst (Eric Carle Museum)

Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory (down the road from Yankee Candle) http://www.magicwings.com/

Richardson's candy (amazing chocolates near Historic Deerfield)

Mohawk Trail...Shelburne Falls... Bridge of Flowers... MassMOCA

sigh... I love my hometown

I'm glad you're happy there--truly. I lived in Keene, NH, so not a whole lot different...and not a whole lot to do there, either. It IS very New England-y, not in a bad way. But honestly, I don't find I miss New England as much as I thought I would. We're in coastal North Carolina now, and I find it much more interesting (maybe because it's still new to me?). The kids don't even miss skiing, which surprises me.

To the PP, I always preferred the outlet YC store to the regular store, and I miss having one near me. I do have a regular store a couple miles away, and sometimes do mail-order. Maybe I have more "unique" tastes in candles?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!