Yankee Candle Factory Deerfield MA... Is it worth the trip?

I'm glad you're happy there--truly. I lived in Keene, NH, so not a whole lot different...and not a whole lot to do there, either. It IS very New England-y, not in a bad way. But honestly, I don't find I miss New England as much as I thought I would. We're in coastal North Carolina now, and I find it much more interesting (maybe because it's still new to me?). The kids don't even miss skiing, which surprises me.

To the PP, I always preferred the outlet YC store to the regular store, and I miss having one near me. I do have a regular store a couple miles away, and sometimes do mail-order. Maybe I have more "unique" tastes in candles?

I admit I have not spent much time in Keene, But i did have some great pizza at Pizza Pi (the 3.14 kinda Pi)... and found some really cute shops nearby that had a fabulous bookstore (the name escapes me now)on my way up to ski.

I love New England... spent 7 years in San Francisco/Bay Area... waiting for the seasons to change LOL

I won't drive 3 hours if I can fly instead...I hate being in the car. There is no way in the world I'd do that!

I admit I have not spent much time in Keene, But i did have some great pizza at Pizza Pi (the 3.14 kinda Pi)... and found some really cute shops nearby that had a fabulous bookstore (the name escapes me now)on my way up to ski.

I love New England... spent 7 years in San Francisco/Bay Area... waiting for the seasons to change LOL

Toadstool Bookstore in Colony Mills. I loved that place! We liked Pizza 3.14159, too (that's what we always called it).

Where we live now, we have a week of winter. Seriously. We got 2 inches of snow last year. The entire city has one snowplow. We don't have a furnace. Very different from New England! Seasons down here just aren't like up north.

Then scratch Deerfield and spend the day in Sturbridge Village. Very historic and lots of little shops that also sell candles.

Sturbridge is great place to visit, totally can spend the day and they do a great job of showing colonial life...but it is a recreation for the most part... built to look old. Historic Deerfield is different in that it is actually old, many of the houses have been standing since 1704... with original furnishings etc.inside. My favorite is the door that bears the scars from the tomahawks when the raid on Deerfield occurred. The attack was sudden and took the village by surprise. 47 townspeople were killed and 112 were forced to march to Canada with many dying on the way.

OP...If you like to read history, there are a couple of good books... The Redeemed Captive was the account of Rev Williams experience on the march...and also the Boy Captive of Deerfield. In the last 10 years or so, they have taken a page from Sturbridge and utilize costumed guides in period garb for the house tours.

OP, your day 2 sounds pretty packed. There’s lots to do in both Providence and Plymouth. Did you have an idea of specific activities?

I also suggest you go to Yankee Candle from Hartford, especially if you are coming from the airport which is actually in Windsor Locks and it’s an easy ride from there. Then you can head to your other destinations from there easily.

Have Fun!

it is not a factory, just a huge store. They have some neat things and the restaurant is very nice. 3 hour detour to go? That depends on how much you like Yankee Candle.

Chandlers is not there anymore, unless there was a change in plans. I loved that restaurant and we used to travel just for dinner.

We used to live in NH, so I drove right past it on I-91, driving to/from CT to visit relatives. I stopped in once. Even being maybe 2 minutes out of my way, I wouldn't go a second time. Complete waste of time. Sure, they have every product they make (candles, car scents, fancy holders...), but really--it's candles. They try to gussy it up some, with a Christmas area and overpriced vendor stalls for food, but I was completely underwhelmed. Prices were the same as anywhere else.

If you just like their candles, consider going to the outlet store in Tilton, NH--smaller, better prices, no sales tax. Keep in mind that, even from Hartford, it's probably a good hour north, and once you're past Springfield/Holyoke, there's not much of anything to see and do (unless you like historic Deerfield). I've driven that route a few hundred times, it's not easy to even find a rest area.

Oh my! I am in West Suffield and find plenty to do past Springfield.

OP- I like Yankee Candle, but unless you have time to meander, I would not choose to spend my vacation there. We visit, but it is really because I like a destination when we take a ride. I would choose to stop at the butterfly Conservatory. It is an experience to enjoy at least once.

If you are looking for something special to do in the area, and you are flying into Bradley, think about attractions that are not in your area. The Trolley Museum in East Windsor is an undervalued attraction that is pretty darn cool, as is the Air Museum in Windsor Locks.

Hartford has the Wadsworth Athenaeum and the Mark Twain House, just to name a few.

If you wanted to head South rather than North to begin your trip, why not think about Mystic Aquarium or Mystic Seaport? Both are unique to the area, and the town has a lot of neat restaurants to enjoy after the visit.

Chandlers is not there anymore, unless there was a change in plans. I loved that restaurant and we used to travel just for dinner.

Kinda bummed they changed it to a Au Bon Pain. Chandlers was very nice, still got a gift certificate to there I never used :headache:

So...the original Yankee Candle founder (Mike Kitteredge) sold Yankee Candle about 20 or so years ago... now I believe it is part of Jarden Corp. (Olive gardens etc.), unless it got sold yet again. Needless to say he made quite a profit, but he had to sign a non compete clause. Anyhoo...when that expired, about 10 years ago, He and his son opened a new candle making company in the town of Bernardston, MA about 15 miles or so north of Deerfield. Very similar... fragrant candles in jars, Christmas shop etc... It is becoming quite popular.

Kringle Candle https://www.kringlecandle.com/

They have an amazing restaurant... The Farm Table... uses all locally sourced foods

http://inside.kringlecandle.com/the-farm-table

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter