*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

We just pushed our early May trip to late May/early June. I'm holding on that it works out.

Our March trip was cancelled and we do have a September trip planned as well so we will see what happens.

We're from NY also and I am just going to assume that if the parks are open for our Memorial weekend trip the quarantine thing will be lifted. I have to think that way! It's also residents of NJ and CT and that bans a good chunk of folks.
I also wish they would release how they intend to enforce this... we are from NJ but fly from Philadelphia. I hope its lifted by the end of May

I also wish they would release how they intend to enforce this... we are from NJ but fly from Philadelphia. I hope its lifted by the end of May
Ugh I just read a somewhat detailed description of how they're doing this on one of my work sites and now can't find it! If I come across it again I'll share here. Basically it said for flights from the tri-state area residents will be given a questionnaire to fill out and then a paper with guidelines as to what to do if you exhibit symptoms while in Florida and what the consequences will be of not following the self-quarantine. And health officials will be on hand when planes land to assist. Nothing further about the consequences or an end date but some co-workers are speculating it will be for the duration of Florida's stay at home mandate. Also some of my colleagues are saying they have clients in Maryland flying SW and SW sent them an email that they are included in the ban? It's still a bit confusing. Nobody can say now when it will end but I of course am remaining positive that by the end of May us Northerners can fly down (and the parks are open)!

Haven’t canceled our May 13-16 trip yet because 1- it’s pretty much perfect and B- I still have that 30 day window to do so. But our city is about to go on the stay at home deal through April 30. Kids out of school through May 15. All of my SW TF expire 5/28 so I wish I knew what was going on!

Haven't cancelled ours either, but planning an early June. Will give things an extra month. I'm hoping that Flower and Garden could be extended. Anyone have any feelings on that happening?

Haven’t canceled our May 13-16 trip yet because 1- it’s pretty much perfect and B- I still have that 30 day window to do so. But our city is about to go on the stay at home deal through April 30. Kids out of school through May 15. All of my SW TF expire 5/28 so I wish I knew what was going on!
From SW website -
  • Customers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1 – May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
  • Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1 – May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.

Our trip is 5/17 to 5/22 and we haven't canceled yet. I got some great FPs too. I just hope we can go. If not this should extend my AP to early January so I'll take a trip then to replace the May trip.

hee hee I also have a late September trip and a mid November trip. The November trip is now flexible so we now have some wiggle room if a better offer is available.

Good luck everybody and stay safe

Well folks the honeymoon has been postponed to the last week of August. We were scheduled to go May 2-8, but that probably wouldn't have happened anyway. We booked back in July of last year and my excitement kept building, and then all of this happened, the excitement balloon popped, and we fell back down to Earth.

We were looking forward to Flower and Garden, but on the bright side hopefully in August all of this should be behind us, Ratatouille ride will hopefully be open, and we booked a full week at Riviera, instead of a split stay. I hope people are still able to go on their May trips that are later in the month. Anyway, it's been a pleasure, and I'm sure I'll see some of you in the August thread!

If you haven't seen it elsewhere on this site, the WDW closure is extended "until further notice". Which, while I'm glad they made an announcement finally, actually lends itself to more confusion. The company we rented DVC points from put up a very nice message on their website about helping those who were affected by the closure. Essentially, we can probably get a credit for a future date if the resort is closed when we were supposed to travel. But how and when will I know if our trip is indeed affected? I guess the wait continues.

If you haven't seen it elsewhere on this site, the WDW closure is extended "until further notice". Which, while I'm glad they made an announcement finally, actually lends itself to more confusion. The company we rented DVC points from put up a very nice message on their website about helping those who were affected by the closure. Essentially, we can probably get a credit for a future date if the resort is closed when we were supposed to travel. But how and when will I know if our trip is indeed affected? I guess the wait continues.

just saw it. 😢

We finally decided to cancel our May 3-9 trip at Riviera last night, before the update today by Disney. We did re-book for late Sept. at Saratoga Springs, but sad we lost the chance to stay at RR, as a studio was (and will be) difficult to get at 7 months. Fingers crossed that this will all be over by then.
Now, off to plan some dining reservations!

We finally decided to cancel our May 3-9 trip at Riviera last night, before the update today by Disney. We did re-book for late Sept. at Saratoga Springs, but sad we lost the chance to stay at RR, as a studio was (and will be) difficult to get at 7 months. Fingers crossed that this will all be over by then.
Now, off to plan some dining reservations!

Yes I will be starting dining reservations in a few days when my window opens up. Trying to really see the silver lining here.. So wanted to do Flower and Garden. I guess there is a next year and will do Food & Wine again.

Have finally made the tough decision to move our May 17-22 trip to October.
Plus side is that it is our anniversary, so we will have something special to celebrate. Just sad to see that countdown move back up over 200 days :(
Does anyone have experience with refunded tickets, extended use dates etc? I bought DAH tickets for MK on May 19th and according to the website all tickets between March 16th- opening date will be automatically refunded but what if they reopen on May 18th? Am I out the money?
I also read that multi day use tickets are automatically being extended for use through December 15th, but that is not showing on my MDE. I have an AP, but my boyfriend bought 6-day PH tickets.

Super bummed about missing F&G but this move just seems like the right one, and I know I’m not alone!

Last edited:
Have ultimately decided May 2021 will be our time. Haven't cancelled anything yet but we know we won't be going 5/10-5/17 this year. Just waiting for communication from Undercover Tourist about cancelling. I also have a back up booked for August but likely will cancel that too as there are just too many reasons not to go then most especially the heat. Here's all the positives I can come up with for waiting: Get to go in May (our favorite time of the year), it will be our 30th wedding anniversary, my youngest will have graduated from college in December, I'll have plenty of time to get all the ADRs and fastpasses we wanted, newer rides such as TRON, Guardians, Ratatouille and Space 220 might be open, Railroad might be running again and I get to work on losing more weight (down 30 would like to lose at least another 30) before appearing in pictures. And, most importantly, maybe fears of a pandemic will finally be over.

Not sure if the website is being wonky or may be a predictor. I put in various dates in May including my already booked dates of May 29-June 6th. Every date I put in to book a stay in May comes up with no rooms available, but when I search using June 1st and forward...room availability appear. :idea: I may be rebooking my trip soon.

This morning I checked my dates and all still showed availability. After I saw your post I went back in and checked showing no availability in any of the resorts all through May. Think this is telling us all something???

I tried to modify one of my May dates about an hour ago and got a message they were working on the system and to check back later.

Edited to add: I just checked again and the system is now letting me in now to modify, but I see that unavailability mentioned! (I have two piecemeal reservations I'm probably going to end up having to cancel , but was going to try to combine them into one. )

Last edited:
The travel agent site wasn't letting me book anything earlier today. I am going to try again now.

ETA: TA site isn't showing any availability for May either and it was earlier today. It does show for July, which I also needed to check. Could be telling, could be a glitch, could be anything really. Too soon to tell, in my opinion. But if it lasts, then maybe so....

I too checked our May dates this evening and nothing can be booked until June 1st.
we are supposed to go May 10-18 and haven't cancelled yet because if they aren't open Disney will automatically refund the money. I am already booked for Sept just in case. In the resort thread one of the moderators thought that they probably stopped booking because since they aren't sure when they will open, Disney wants to limit the cash deposits they may have to refund back. Which makes sense, they may be open, may not, but if not , why not limit the refunds that have to be made. Apparently DVC can still book for May right now since they use points, not cash, so only points have to be refunded.
Still, it doesnt give confidence to May trips, but since i booked for Sept, it gives us something to look forward to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter