Yes the Disney IS being lost...

WorldWacky

DIS Veteran
in the Disney Resort Hotels. I don’t often post on this particular forum but listen obsessively to the podcasts. I had to respond though to this subject being brought up on this week’s show. We recently went to WDW and stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. I knew all about the construction and we weren’t bothered by that at all. But what DID strike me was the lack of theming in the room. At one point, my 13 year old asked if we were staying at a Disney Resort! Yes, that actually happened. :worried: Then my 16 yr old asked where all the hidden Mickey’s were. She had been looking all over for some. They were both very disappointed. We stay in a lot of hotels and unfortunately, this room wasn’t at all special in any way. My younger daughter actually said (with plenty of teenage attitude), “This is just a plain, small hotel room.” They loved the pool and we had lots of Disney Magic in the parks, but as far as the room-I agree, it was just a plain, small hotel room. (And I say that with plenty of 41 yr. old attitude.) :upsidedow

^ which resort? I've been kind of spoiled and stayed at the nicer hotels in my adult life lately....Boardwalk, Bay Lake. When I was a kid I stayed at Caribbean Beach and I guess I can see the difference now. Obviously the more fancy places are better themed, but all of them have something different. Some people without kids, like me and my wife at the moment may focus only a few days at the parks with a couple to just lounge around a nice hotel, take a boat ride and resort hope to eat and drink. If you have kids, the room may be just a place to rest your head and if you're in the parks all day and on a budget, I suppose you have to sacrifice somewhere.

What kind of incredible in-room theme are you expecting from a moderate resort under construction?

I love how you say you had a lot of magic in the parks and your kids loved the pool at the resort... but Disney is "being lost" because of the hotel room theming.

This just seems like trying to find something to complain about.

What kind of incredible in-room theme are you expecting from a moderate resort under construction?

I love how you say you had a lot of magic in the parks and your kids loved the pool at the resort... but Disney is "being lost" because of the hotel room theming.

This just seems like trying to find something to complain about.
The rooms were already recently renovated. The rooms themselves are not changing with the ongoing renovations.

In 2012 I stayed at the Dolphin for the first time. Prior to that I had only stayed at Disney hotels. I didn't like the Dolphin much because it didn't have the Disney touches. I love the Polynesian/BC/Pop/GF/AKL because they all have a theme that encompasses the entire resort. Some of these new refurbs are taking the theming out of the room for more basic standard styles.

Some of these new refurbs are taking the theming out of the room for more basic standard styles.

Well I certainly don't like that but it's not really anything that would ever raise to the level of Disney being "lost". It's more of a mild annoyance and I would just instead go to one of the other resorts with incredible theming.

Well I certainly don't like that but it's not really anything that would ever raise to the level of Disney being "lost". It's more of a mild annoyance and I would just instead go to one of the other resorts with incredible theming.
I guess it depends on the person. I think it is kind of being lot since they are taking some of the Disney theming out with these newer refurbs. The YC refurb for example has less of a yacht theme than it did previously.

Just to add, as one point I included in the article that didn't get talked about much on the podcast is that it isn't that they are building one resort that isn't wry themed or one renovation is in the direction (I get that some people prefer that and Disney needs to cater to them as well) - it is that every project announced and started is going in this direction and just wondering if Disney is swinging the pendulum too far that way when I think a lot of people that stay on site want it to me more than "just a regular hotel room that could be anywhere"

I completely *get* that there are those who want everything to be pretty Disney-fied in its theming. Mickey ears, Disney artwork, small touches, etc. I understand and appreciate their perspective.

To me, I get plenty of that from everything else on property, so I don't mind if a room doesn't scream Disney in its theming. To me, a room with "a Disney touch" means something completely different....it means it's uber-clean, well-maintained, creatively-designed, and staffed with the ultimate in customer service. If there are overtly Disney touches in addition to those things, great. But if not, that's okay, too.

I'm assuming some people want a small break from Mickey when they go to their room for the night. That's their prerogative. Not everybody wants the same level of Disney theming. But everyone DOES want that level of excellence that has come to be expected from Disney(and, as Pete mentioned during this last episode, has been noticeably lacking from the parks for a while now).

in the Disney Resort Hotels. I don’t often post on this particular forum but listen obsessively to the podcasts. I had to respond though to this subject being brought up on this week’s show. We recently went to WDW and stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. I knew all about the construction and we weren’t bothered by that at all. But what DID strike me was the lack of theming in the room. At one point, my 13 year old asked if we were staying at a Disney Resort! Yes, that actually happened. :worried: Then my 16 yr old asked where all the hidden Mickey’s were. She had been looking all over for some. They were both very disappointed. We stay in a lot of hotels and unfortunately, this room wasn’t at all special in any way. My younger daughter actually said (with plenty of teenage attitude), “This is just a plain, small hotel room.” They loved the pool and we had lots of Disney Magic in the parks, but as far as the room-I agree, it was just a plain, small hotel room. (And I say that with plenty of 41 yr. old attitude.) :upsidedow
I agree that this is a trend with each hotel as it gets refurbed, and this is exactly why I'm starting to stay offsite more often. No point in paying extra for theming that isn't there. I can get the same or better unthemed room offsite at a much lower price.

I have stayed offsite a few times and onsite more than a few times.. but i never thought of the room theme as being part of the catch.. could be.. certainly the lobby of any WDW resort has an effect on you but the room itself.. not so much. I suppose there are little touches in the room that i simply take for granted that i might notice if/once they are gone.. but even that wouldn't convince me to stay offsite... We take advantage of EMH on every trip. We use the transportation A LOT.. but more than anything its that bubble that is hard to explain..

Which now that i am thinking about it the bubble might begin to dissipate if the room themes go away... hum... dammit, why did you bring this up.. :( ;)

Totally agree, and very well put, all. Another reason to stay on property for me has been transportation, since I don't drive. But if were to go with somebody who did, I would definitely consider staying off property, ESPECIALLY in terms of finances. The one time I HAVE stayed off property was EXACTLY that - had to go down for a wedding, none of the 3 of us going (both of them drove) could get what we thought at the time was a reasonable rate on site (and this was way back in '01!!, so we ended up staying at the DoubleTree across from Downtown Disney (both the names at the time). And - I must say - I was impressed.

And I may also be in an arguably small minority who actually spends a fair amount of time enjoying the room, and the resort in general. Especially on my longer trips, and having been so many times. A lot of times I'd been finding myself "parked and peopled out".

Last edited:
I have stayed offsite a few times and onsite more than a few times.. but i never thought of the room theme as being part of the catch.. could be.. certainly the lobby of any WDW resort has an effect on you but the room itself.. not so much. I suppose there are little touches in the room that i simply take for granted that i might notice if/once they are gone.. but even that wouldn't convince me to stay offsite... We take advantage of EMH on every trip. We use the transportation A LOT.. but more than anything its that bubble that is hard to explain..

Which now that i am thinking about it the bubble might begin to dissipate if the room themes go away... hum... dammit, why did you bring this up.. :( ;)
This goes to the example of the Swan and Dolphin then. They are not Disney hotels yet have Disney transportation and have EMH. Only added benefit to staying at Disney is magical express.

I care more about the theming of an entire resort than I care about the theming of my individual room, if that makes any sense. I barely even notice the little touches in my room, but I can vividly remember the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge, the "streets" of POFQ, and the huge wall of animation at AofA. So it's a whole package for me.

When you factor THAT in, plus Magical Express, Disney transportation, the convenience of having 1-2 restaurants just steps away, and the general quality of the rooms and the customer service, it makes it an easy call for me to stay on-site.

Then again, I am independently wealthy, so that probably plays a part in it, too.

Surely there are more reasons to stay onsite than just the room theme?

Maybe not enough to justify the ever increasing prices, reduced customer service/theme. More and more high end resorts and hotels are being built offsite within minutes of property that offer so much more for the money. As there is an ever increasing number of attractions and things to do in Orlando, I imagine many are not just going to Disney but also visiting other places. If I can get much more for half the price elsewhere, most if not all of the Disney perks fade away.

EX:
- If you plan to do other things in Orlando you will likely have or rent a car. That means Magical Express is no longer a perk.
- Driving vs bus, really other than MK, driving to parks is often faster than a bus. The large amount of money I can save staying offsite means paying for parking is not an issue. We joke that the only plus of bus is the DDBD (Disney Designated Bus Driver) but found last trip that Uber was easy to do on "beverage days/nights" and cheaper than parking.
- Disney Dining Plan is convenient, but not necessarily a money saver. I can whip out my credit card (getting exactly what I want usually saving money) just as easy as the DDP.
- Dining ADR 180+10. Def not an issue, I've never had trouble picking up even hard reservations even at 90 days.
- I can shop in the parks, pay with my credit card and send it to the front gate. Just as easy, if not easier than going to the hotel gift shop to pick up my purchases.
- Extra Magic Hours are a very nice perk. We only use night ones and they are not as often as they used to be. Slowly becoming a non-perk, especially at places like AK which are still crowded for what we want to do.
- 60 day FP+ is a perk for a handful of rides BUT I rarely even book then and have picked up hard to get ones. Are those few FP+ worth me paying sometimes double the rate for hotels? No.
- Free MagicBand. No. Have plenty. Even if I didn't, completely unnecessary.

The intangible is the bubble but if the hotels begin to look like any other hotel ... is it really worth it just to not drive out the gate? Not for us.

Last edited:
never stayed at swan and dolphin.. never even thought about it.. seems pricey.

EX:
- If you plan to do other things in Orlando you will likely have or rent a car. That means Magical Express is no longer a perk.
- Driving vs bus, really other than MK, driving to parks is often faster than a bus. The large amount of money I can save staying offsite means paying for parking is not an issue. We joke that the only plus of bus is the DDBD (Disney Designated Bus Driver) but found last trip that Uber was easy to do on "beverage nights."
- Disney Dining Plan is convenient, but not necessarily a money saver. I can whip out my credit card (getting exactly what I want usually saving money) just as easy as the DDP.
- Dining ADR 180+10. Def not an issue, I've never had trouble picking up even hard reservations even at 90 days.
- I can shop in the parks, pay with my credit card and send it to the front gate. Just as easy, if not easier than going to the hotel gift shop to pick up my purchases.
- Extra Magic Hours are a very nice perk. We only use night ones and they are not as often as they used to be. Slowly becoming a non-perk, especially at places like AK which are still crowded for what we want to do.
- 60 day FP+ is a perk for a handful of rides BUT I rarely even book then and have picked up hard to get ones. Are those few FP+ worth me paying sometimes double the rate for hotels? No.
- Free MagicBand. No. Have plenty. Even if I didn't, completely unnecessary.

The intangible is the bubble but if the hotels begin to look like any other hotel ... is it really worth it just to not drive out the gate? Not for us.

I agree with all of your points.. they are inline with how i feel as well but that still doesn't debunk that bubble effect which is real because i notice.. every time we drive down, we invariable will leave the bubble one evening for a cheap dinner and you can just the bubbles absence.. i don't know if thats just in my head or something they put in the air but it sure feels real to me.. call me crazy..but for now, i am willing to pay extra for that bubble feeling..

I agree with all of your points.. they are inline with how i feel as well but that still doesn't debunk that bubble effect which is real because i notice.. every time we drive down, we invariable will leave the bubble one evening for a cheap dinner and you can just the bubbles absence.. i don't know if thats just in my head or something they put in the air but it sure feels real to me.. call me crazy..but for now, i am willing to pay extra for that bubble feeling..

Oh no it's a real intangible and that is where you have to determine it's value to you. It also has many variables ... are you comparing value to offsite comparable type, are you comparing value to offsite cost - so maybe a "time share resort" or are you staying deluxe and now comparing to a true deluxe offsite or what you can get for the same amount of money per night (that is huge difference).

Also if your kids are younger and fully engaged in the bubble effect and you have no plans to go elsewhere .......... vs mine now grown who want to do Universal, Discovery Cove, outlets, dining offsite ........ now I'm not getting the bubble because we leave.

Story: Many years ago we were meeting family at WDW. We had always stayed on property with kids when little and didn't do anything other than WDW. Uncle really wanted Sonny's BBQ for dinner so off we went. The minute we drove through the gate DS had a complete meltdown. You'd think we had driven off a cliff. He was a wreck all through dinner. The minute we drove back in the gate he completely relaxed. I imagine that is how some adults are as well.

The "Disney bubble" effect had already been eroding for me for some time anyway, as thoroughness of housekeeping declines in many of the rooms, same with janitorial service at park restrooms, no longer sufficient air conditioning in some of the indoor rides, and overall levels of service and quality have become less consistent. There are still many cast members providing excellent service, but it's become somewhat hit or miss depending on which ones are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter