Yet Another Holding Question

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
I never planned to deal with points in holding, ha! have read the process several times and still don't understand how it works:o

Have a trip planned for early May. DH was just informed he has to be back to work a day early. I am 2 days past being able to modify the reservation without penalty.

Am I permitted to call and modify the reservation to remove the last day without jeopardizing the rest of trip? Had initially thought just to depart early, but would like to try to see if I have a chance of saving the points.

My UY for this contract is December.

If i do have points placed in holding, unsure if the Rule of 4 would have any play here

The only time I would foresee using the points would be October 8th or later (already have a stay booked @ BWV beginning Oct 1st).

Could the points be used at either a DVC resort (unlikely with F&W/Columbus Day) or at a WDW resort?

If so, when would I be able to call and try to make the reservation for an Oct 8th arrival?

If I'm missing anything, please speak slowly:rolleyes1

Here are the rules on Holding points. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/holding-account/definition/
You would be able to use your points only for reservations made within 60 days of the arrival date. They expire at the end of the use year - Nov 30. If I were you, I would maybe try to book a split stay before or after your BWV stay, most likely at Saratoga Springs, if any are available at all.

Clearly the answer is to send your husband home and enjoy an extra day!

The rule of 4 is only for non-DVC resorts (Disney Collection, etc).

I cut a day short on a VGF stay a couple of years ago, I think it was 25 points. I had a friend who wanted to use them, she paid for us to move to our new hotel a day early. That didn't work out. Then another friend was looking to add a night to a stay right at the end of my use year, I was able to book her a night at AKV for 20 points.

Here are the rules on Holding points. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/holding-account/definition/
You would be able to use your points only for reservations made within 60 days of the arrival date. They expire at the end of the use year - Nov 30. If I were you, I would maybe try to book a split stay before or after your BWV stay, most likely at Saratoga Springs, if any are available at all.

Clearly the answer is to send your husband home and enjoy an extra day!

believe it or not the thought didn't cross my mind when I posted. After struggling with airfare changes (looks like we're walking home in May at this point) I've been doing my share of growling

ok, so if i'd want to shoot for booking October 14th @ SSR (to add onto another reservation I just booked today) I can call MS on August 14th to try?

was surprised to be able to book SSR for 4 nights today & will sandwich in Universal stay in the middle. Perhaps I can link the holding reservation to it if it.

thanks all

believe it or not the thought didn't cross my mind when I posted. After struggling with airfare changes (looks like we're walking home in May at this point) I've been doing my share of growling

ok, so if i'd want to shoot for booking October 14th @ SSR (to add onto another reservation I just booked today) I can call MS on August 14th to try?

was surprised to be able to book SSR for 4 nights today & will sandwich in Universal stay in the middle. Perhaps I can link the holding reservation to it if it.

thanks all

I think 60 days would be August 15.

In explaining the answers her to mr wonderful:laughing:, he asked if we would be able to 'rent' the last day of our trip.

my son's friend will be in area to visit family, he'd likely jump at a 'free' night away from them.

I'm thinking "no" as it would be a modification to the reservation, at least as to occcupants.

perhaps i could just list them on the reservation for the last night, if that doesn't count as a modification?

he could pick up room keys @ the desk the last day (after we have left day before)?

Last edited:
I don't think adding people is a modification. I think that refers to dates. (I'm saying "I think" to cover my rear...if it were my reservation I would be in the "I know" category and would add people as I wished to)

Why not list them the whole time? That way they could get MBs.

I don't think adding people is a modification. I think that refers to dates. (I'm saying "I think" to cover my rear...if it were my reservation I would be in the "I know" category and would add people as I wished to)

Why not list them the whole time? That way they could get MBs.

hmm that is true, I believe they ordered (paid for no less) MB staying offsite because the GF wanted to wear one lol.

I'm going to have to call, thanks

I was not able to add a friend to the last 3 nights of a 5 night reservation, even though she had her own reservation for the first 2 nights. Even member services can't do that, so she is on our reservation for the whole time.

In explaining the answers her to mr wonderful:laughing:, he asked if we would be able to 'rent' the last day of our trip.

my son's friend will be in area to visit family, he'd likely jump at a 'free' night away from them.

I'm thinking "no" as it would be a modification to the reservation, at least as to occcupants.

perhaps i could just list them on the reservation for the last night, if that doesn't count as a modification?

he could pick up room keys @ the desk the last day (after we have left day before)?
I think the only feasible option to add them is for the entire time. The FD can do it but they actually cancel and rebook the reservation and we all know what risks that entails. Or you could cancel that one night and get them their own reservation. If I were going to do this, I'd just give it to them rather than rent it or I'd get them a new reservation. When you do online check in, their bands will have your CC attached to it. You can have it removed but you'd have to go to the FD to do so.

After considering all the hassle, went with staying the last night and settling for a flight home very early the next day.

At least we get a full day @ the parks our last day of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter