Yet another transfer question

Vickis3js

DIS Veteran
Alright DH and I have decided to go to F&W next Nov. We are still trying to figure out what we want to do as far as lodging goes. We take the kids to WDW for Christmas and I know what points I need for our Dec 2010 trip and what is left will not cover for Nov F&W. We are also unsure if we want to just book through Disney and try for concierge somewhere.

We are leaning more towards a transfer since it makes more sense $$ wise and since we are not sure if we will be going I don't want to rent points. So would our best bet be seeing about a transfer for X amount of points for our home resort. This way if we don't go then I can use them for our Dec trip and just bank our points for the next year. We are wanting to try and get conceirge for Dec so I know I need the 11 month advantage and my fingers crossed for that one. I guess I get kind of how it works just trying to figure out what the best bet for us would be. So I guess my question would be what would be the best way to go about it?

TIA

I think you may have it......a point transfer will give you flexibility to bank the points if the trip falls through or just use the transferred point for the december trip. Transfers are easy and leaves you in control of what you want to do. Good Luck

So I can bank transfered points? I did not realize that one. If we do not do F&W this year then 2011 we definatly will. We are going to Vegas in March so WDW in Nov may be pushing it. So if I can bank them then I guess I can see about a transfer from another resort other then my home resort.

Thanks so much. I am new to this and so scared I am going to mess something up and either waste $$ or precious points.

I agree that a transfer gives you the best flexibility. Because members can only do a single transfer in a use year, it makes if a little more difficult to find the points. You have to find someone looking to rent the exact number of points you need. You may have to negotiate a little bit with the other member on the number of points to rent. For example, if you need 88 and they have 100 points they can't use and want to rent, they may not be willing to transfer you just 88.

Post what you want on the rental board, and see what kind of response you get.

If a transfer doesn't work out (because of the limitation I described), another option is to book some nights with your points, and have the other member book you other nights with their points. Those two reservations can then be linked together. A little less flexibility here because the other member is still involved with the reservations, and each night needs to be booked with points from one contract or the other. You couldn't mix points for the same night.

Thanks so much for all the info. If I did a transfer with points from my home resort I would happily do more points then needed. I will definatly post my needs on the rent board once it gets closer to the time I need to even book.

I am a little Disney obsessed I just booked ADRs for our Dec 09 trip so now I need to obsessivly plan another trip. Sad part is we are going to Vegas in March to renew our vows for our 10th anniversary and I haven't even thought of planning anything for that. LOL

You can definitely bank the transferred points if it is before the banking deadline for those transferred points. But MS has also been known to allow transferred points to be banked even if their banking deadline has already passed - just keep in mind that this option is not guaranteed, so although it has been posted here that MS has allowed this it may change at any time.

Just keep in mind that transferred points keep their Use Year and Home Resort status.... so those transferred points will not change & take on your points UY or Home Resort affiliation so be sure that the transferred points carry a UY that will work for what you are trying to book (&/or bank) and are from a resort that you need if you want to take advantage of a particular DVC Resort's priority booking window (11 mos thru 7 mos+1day before checkin date you'd like) And also, if those transferred points are from a different HR than yours you will not be able to combine them for a reservation with your points until 7 months or less booking window.

Good luck with your planning :goodvibes

So I would probably be better of seeing abotu getting one from my home resort and obviously something I can use in either Nov or Dec 2010 since if I don't use it for F&W then I can use it for our Dec 2010 trip.

If they are not for my home resort can I use my points to book my Dec 2010 trip at my home resort at 11 months and then change at 7 months to the points I had transfered and then bank my points?

I know way too many questions and scenarios but I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I even start to look. $$ wise it seems much more reasonable to transfer points in and book that way then through CRO.

Thanks for all the info its been really helpful.

So I would probably be better of seeing abotu getting one from my home resort and obviously something I can use in either Nov or Dec 2010 since if I don't use it for F&W then I can use it for our Dec 2010 trip.

If they are not for my home resort can I use my points to book my Dec 2010 trip at my home resort at 11 months and then change at 7 months to the points I had transfered and then bank my points?

I know way too many questions and scenarios but I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I even start to look. $$ wise it seems much more reasonable to transfer points in and book that way then through CRO.

Thanks for all the info its been really helpful.
You can't change points on a reservation without canceling and re-booking. If there's anyone on the waitlist for the same resort/room size when you do this at the 7-month point, you'd lose the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter