Yo Ho Yo Ho a Tipsy Life for Me - A November '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 5/27

Awesome, thanks for the hook-up!!!!! I'l totally have to use this. Have you done these on the grill too????

We've done legs on the grill using the crispy method. Too hot and they char, of course, but it worked great. The baking powder does it's thang to encourage crispness. The origin of the heat isn't a big deal. Salt/baking powder is a game-changer. Kenji used to work at America's Test Kitchen and loves to play with methods for a certain outcome. He wrote a cookbook, The Food Lab, that's a fun read. It's HUGE because of the exposition on "why". Sometimes the time is worth it, like chicken chips. Sometimes the return is lower, like frying chicken, refrigerating, then frying again. Not worth the time when the first fry is yummy.

He also wrote a blog entry about a brine for boiled shrimp. DO IT. A short brine in kosher salt/baking soda really firm up the shrimp. I use it before sautéing for shrimp and grits.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/quick-easy-shrimp-corn-tomatillo-salad-recipe.html

OH! The best grits method is from Deep Run Roots. I use the crap quick cook (because stone ground is hard to find) and it tastes like I added cheese. Nope. Just cooked for 45ish minutes in milk. Genius. Try not to be distracted by the wonderful recipes before scrolling down to "Fool-proof Grits". The pimento cheese grits were wonderful, but make them later.
https://charlestonlivingmag.com/southern-dishes-with-a-twist

Very very late to reading about your adventure. I love reading these reviews. And finding yours to be so comprehensive with so much info and individual opinions of your specific meals. Thanks so much for sharing and making my mouth water with longing for some of these meals. Wish I didn't have another 20 months till we visit again.

you really do feel transported to somewhere else.
You do don't ya

img_0107-jpg.294754
OH MY

imagine my surprise when it wasn't available, but Flight of Passage was!
Awesome sauce

Nomad's lounge
Love Love Love it.

No she has never done it. I know I'm a bad Mom, but the thought of her trampling through a park all day in a long dress and then some random shoes is not my cup of tea. She also dresses up at home all the time, and I am also notoriously cheap, so it just never seemed worth it.

I'm with ya! It's so impractical and expensive! I finally let my DD do BBB on the Dream when she was 12, but she just got the hair done and didn't dress up. I wasn't even crazy about it and it was washed out the next day, so kind of a waste. I also think they pull it so tight, I don't know how the little ones don't have a crazy headache walking around like that all day :crazy2:

I did relent a few years ago a few years ago when they had a special frozen one set-up in MGM. I brought our own dress and shoes so she just got the hair and make-up. I intentionally brought along a short dress because in September that seemed like the best solution. I also liked it because it wasn't the same as every other girl. I must say though she loved it and walked around afterwards like she owned the place.

She looks adorable :lovestruc

After coming down from my mimosa high a margarita was in order. This was a Triple Yeti Blast (A Layer of Mango, Lime, and Strawberry Margaritas) from Warung Outpost. Despite not being a frozen drink fan in general this was packed with tequila (albeit it cheap tasting) so I was a happy girl.
I am still trying to figure out how you didn't need a nap after that brunch. Although I am sure the margarita was a lovely pick me up. :)

We had about an hour before the FP window so we decided to warm up in my favorite Disney bar: Nomad's lounge. Because we were freezing I skipped my usual cold liquor drinks and went for a nice glass of red wine.
Love Nomads! I am definitely taking Clare there this summer.

This sweet, innocent child of mine ate all the dang chicken wings! So per my budding food reporter: These are "perfect" and she loved the crispy chicken skin (she's been known to just eat the skin off chicken and nothing else). I did get to try the pickled veggies it came with which reminded me of kimchi.
Haha! You have to love six year olds! She knows how to get what she wants.

We eventually made our way back into Pandora, which was even more amazing at night. As everyone who has ridden it knows, Flight of Passage defies even the skeptics and is the best ride I've ever ridden. Soarin on steroids is how we summed it up.
Totally agree there. FoP surpassed every expectation I had for it. It is Disney Imagineering at it's very best.

Greetings everyone!!!! I've been down with a cold most of the weekend and trying to catch up on everyone elses reports before getting to our next adventure. Finally feeling better this afternoon and from the looks of things on Capital Hill I may have plenty of time on my hands to get this thing moving this week. I was supposed to leave tonight for a week of training, but then Congress happened #Shutdown

This is a great pic! Dillon isn’t really into dressing up at all. She said she wants her hair and nails done but no make up... and I would def being an outfit.... but I just don’t know if it’s worth it if she isn’t really into dressing up......
If that is the case, then I wouldn't do it. Maybe just take her to the barber shop instead. We took Casey there once and they trimmed her hair and then gave her some pigtails and pixie dust in it. She loved it and I loved the $12 price tag!

Oh my goodness she is so big now and adorable!!!!!

OH! The best grits method is from Deep Run Roots. I use the crap quick cook (because stone ground is hard to find) and it tastes like I added cheese. Nope. Just cooked for 45ish minutes in milk. Genius. Try not to be distracted by the wonderful recipes before scrolling down to "Fool-proof Grits". The pimento cheese grits were wonderful, but make them later.
Well now you are just hooking me up with all the good info. Funny I was going to try the dry brine for some wings for dinner tonight, but I wasn't feeling up to it. Jason took over instead and he is boiling the wings before we cook them. Guess that is his preferred method.

I'll definitely have to try those grits. I can never get them quite right either. And now of course I am CRAVING fried chicken and grits something terrible.

Very very late to reading about your adventure. I love reading these reviews. And finding yours to be so comprehensive with so much info and individual opinions of your specific meals. Thanks so much for sharing and making my mouth water with longing for some of these meals. Wish I didn't have another 20 months till we visit again.
Better late than never :P Thanks for joining in!

I'm with ya! It's so impractical and expensive! I finally let my DD do BBB on the Dream when she was 12, but she just got the hair done and didn't dress up. I wasn't even crazy about it and it was washed out the next day, so kind of a waste. I also think they pull it so tight, I don't know how the little ones don't have a crazy headache walking around like that all day :crazy2:
Yep, plus I never understood how "special" something was if everyother kid in the park had the same thing done. I'd much rather but a little make=up on Casey, do her hair, and let her wear a much nicer dress from home anyway. Thanks for being in the BBB-hating mother club with me.

I am still trying to figure out how you didn't need a nap after that brunch. Although I am sure the margarita was a lovely pick me up. :)
Mimosa's. It's all in the Mimosa's :drinking1

Haha! You have to love six year olds! She knows how to get what she wants.
She most certainly does. Speaking of which, she is crunching down on pork rinds on the couch next to me right now. Only my girl!

Totally agree there. FoP surpassed every expectation I had for it. It is Disney Imagineering at it's very best.
:thumbsup2

So, I apparently fell behind on yours as well. I guess I was too busy updating mine... Terrible follower....

img_4426-jpg.292949

I'm not typically a mimosa fan as neither orange juice nor champagne are my favorites, but these beauties were bottomless so you know I downed about 10 during the course of our two and a half hour meal. :drinking1
Champagne has become my favorite! I do like to mix up my mimosas with different mixers. Christmas morning we like to do lemon sorbet and champagne. Delish!

A great picture of both of them. And everyone looks so nicely dressed for your fancy brunch.

img_4425-jpg.292968

Everything was just as good as the first time around, but I made a big mistake going for the sticky bun instead of another biscuit. The sticky bun was very good and I was surprised to find apples inside, but nothing could compare to that biscuit. Two months later I still kick myself or not getting one (or ten) more.
It all looks so good! I want to do this brunch now! You should have grabbed like three and threw them in your bag.... The sushi looks great. I might load up on sushi if we ever do this.

After eating all the yummy buffet options we finally put in our orders for entrees. Casey said she was full at this point, but at $48 for her (and$80 for us) she was A. gonna get an entree and B. get one Jason and I wanted so we could eat it!
Man, I can image that she was fun already but $48 for a kid! Yikes! Sounds like your plan worked out for you, though.

img_4412-jpg.292972

There were so many amazing sounding options it was really hard to choose. In retrospect I wish we'd taken advantage of the unlimited ordering so we could have tried more, but ultimately we decided on...
I seriously don't know what I would pick. I would def have to choose 2 I think...

I think Jason and I both felt compelled to order the items that felt the most expensive and offered the most value, when in reality we should have just ordered what our tummies thought sounded best (carrot cake pancakes and fried chicken I'm looking at you)
I was thinking the exact same thing... Carrot Cake Pancakes sounds amazing!!!

s (later Casey wanted to know if we were famous).
HA! :rotfl2:

They explained they were leaving the next day and had several dining credits left and wanted to use them on us. To say I was flabbergasted was an understatement (to say I turned 50 shades of red is a more accurate depiction).
That is AMAZING!!!! I know what it is like to have too many credits left! But that was a lot of Table credits left! I assume that was a 2 credit meal for each person.

Yes I was that tipsy girl!
Keeping it true to your name...

They are apparently only lurkers on here and wouldn't tell me their user name nor let me take a picture, so you'll have to take my word for it that it happened.
It really is almost like it didn't happen... ha! I see that they came out of hiding. Amazing!

It was fantastic to have a long leisurely brunch sipping unlimited mimosas and eating buffet items that truly make you rethink a buffet. The entrees were delicious as well, but given how good everything else was they were really icing on the cake.
I def want to try this one day now!

img_4435-jpg.294750

After coming down from my mimosa high a margarita was in order. This was a Triple Yeti Blast (A Layer of Mango, Lime, and Strawberry Margaritas) from Warung Outpost. Despite not being a frozen drink fan in general this was packed with tequila (albeit it cheap tasting) so I was a happy girl.
This look good. A nice alternative to the Pandora Margarita, I am sure.

We eventually made our way over to Dinoland where Casey wanted to ride the Dumbo Dinosaur ride (I'm sure it has a name, but I have no idea what it is). As we got on the ride it started to drizzle out of nowhere, no big deal, but it wasn't long before the flood gates opened with all their might. Here is our after effect.
img_0107-jpg.294754
Ugh, that ride isn't even that good!

She looks so young in this pic with her wet hair.

While in line I was looking to pick up a 4th fast pass for Primeval Whirl and imagine my surprise when it wasn't available, but Flight of Passage was
WHAAT!!! What luck!

img_0119-jpg.294759

This sweet, innocent child of mine ate all the dang chicken wings! So per my budding food reporter: These are "perfect" and she loved the crispy chicken skin
Yum! She is a smart girl. They looked yummy!

Soarin on steroids is how we summed it up.
Pretty much! I think one of my girls said something to that effect. So good. It makes Soarin look novice.

No she has never done it. I know I'm a bad Mom, but the thought of her trampling through a park all day in a long dress and then some random shoes is not my cup of tea. She also dresses up at home all the time, and I am also notoriously cheap, so it just never seemed worth it.
Gwen finally asked to do BBB after this last trip. They had never asked so I never volunteered it. I got creative with there dresses for this upcoming trip. No actual princess dresses. I am sure I will post a pic on facebook once they are all glittered up!

We watched Avatar for the first time a few months before our September trip, in prep for Pandora, but honestly, I couldn't get through the movie. I watched it long enough to get the gist of it all. I can see why they thought the Avatar concept would make for a beautiful land in AK, but I still wish they'd stuck to the original plan of Beastly Kingdom. Geeze, that stinks that you guys got soaking wet. I hate being wet at the parks. That's why I won't go on Splash Mountain. The last time I did it was on a trip many moons ago, late in the afternoon, and my daughter & I got absolutely soaking wringing wet, and we had a dinner reservation at Crystal Palace right afterwards. We were squeezing water out of our clothes in the bathroom, then froze all through dinner. So not fun. Maybe I'd consider going on again mid-day in 90 degree weather when I know I'd dry quickly, lol. Your daughter is a real trooper, still smiling through it all! She looks so cute with the hair wrap! We've yet to eat at the Nomad Lounge or Tiffins. Def in our plans for the next trip. Do you think the NL is worth it, or should we just do Tiffins?

I'd love to try Sci Fi but we too are a family of 3 , just me and my two teens. We just can't get over someone having to sit be themselves

I'd love to try Sci Fi but we too are a family of 3 , just me and my two teens. We just can't get over someone having to sit be themselves

If I remember correctly, they had tables on the sides of the restaurant where you could sit. I agree, though. It was fine when it was just DH and me, but now that we have a kid, one of us would have to sit alone to be in a car, and that's no good :-(

Champagne has become my favorite! I do like to mix up my mimosas with different mixers. Christmas morning we like to do lemon sorbet and champagne. Delish!
Love the idea of champagne and lemon sorbet. That sounds so good. I'm not normally a big champagne person, but include it in the price of my brunch and I'm all over it!

It all looks so good! I want to do this brunch now! You should have grabbed like three and threw them in your bag.... The sushi looks great. I might load up on sushi if we ever do this.
Oh, I so should have. I remember when I was a kid we'd go to Bob's Big Boy and my Grandma would load up a ziplock bag full of sugars and creamers. I so should have pulled one of those with all the yummy goodies.

Man, I can image that she was fun already but $48 for a kid! Yikes! Sounds like your plan worked out for you, though.
Yeah, that was a tough price pill to swallow. I think that is why it took us so long to get there and also why we won't be back anytime soon.

That is AMAZING!!!! I know what it is like to have too many credits left! But that was a lot of Table credits left! I assume that was a 2 credit meal for each person.
It truly was amazing. And yes 2 credits each, so they used 4 total on us. Still can't believe it!

This look good. A nice alternative to the Pandora Margarita, I am sure.
I've never gotten to try the Pandora one, so this was my substitute since their line was so long.

Gwen finally asked to do BBB after this last trip. They had never asked so I never volunteered it. I got creative with there dresses for this upcoming trip. No actual princess dresses. I am sure I will post a pic on facebook once they are all glittered up!
Can't wait to travel to Florida right along with you all!

We watched Avatar for the first time a few months before our September trip, in prep for Pandora, but honestly, I couldn't get through the movie. I watched it long enough to get the gist of it all. I can see why they thought the Avatar concept would make for a beautiful land in AK, but I still wish they'd stuck to the original plan of Beastly Kingdom.
I saw it in the move theater eons ago, which is the only reason I did make it to the end. I'd definitely be more down for Beastly Kingdom, but at least Disney could see more of the beauty of Pandora than I and see what a great land it could be.

That's why I won't go on Splash Mountain. The last time I did it was on a trip many moons ago, late in the afternoon, and my daughter & I got absolutely soaking wringing wet, and we had a dinner reservation at Crystal Palace right afterwards. We were squeezing water out of our clothes in the bathroom, then froze all through dinner. So not fun.
We've had this happen with Kali River, but thankfully never Splash. Its my favorite ride so I'd hate to miss it. But being wet in Disney is never fun, no mater how you got that way.

Do you think the NL is worth it, or should we just do Tiffins?
If I could only do I, I'd do Tiffins. I love the vibe of the lounge, but the restaurant has much better food and you can still order the same yummy drinks from Nomads.

We are only 3 too, but it never bothered us. The seats are so close together its easy to just turn around. Plus now that Casey is older she loves to be able to sit by herself.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Beer

After 3 straight days with 3 am wake-up calls we slept in a bit the next day before heading to the Magic Kingdom. We ended up walking to the bus stop at the "island" next to us (Trinidad North) to make sure we got a bus this time. Good thing we did as the bus was full and never even went to our normal stop.

We headed to ride Ariel first thing and ran into @Jenny Sanders and her family on the way. They were smart and had made great use of a extra magic hours while we slept. We just chatted for a minute as we knew we had lunch at the same time later.

After cruising under the sea, we flew through NeverLand, and did our best Hulk Hogan impression.
IMG_4445.jpg

We rhen mined some diamonds with a couple of dwarfs
and eventually took in a trippy movie with an overactive duck. Funny aside everyone heading into Philharmagic was obsessed with being as close to a door as they could be. We were in the corner of the waiting area and literally no one would move that way. I thought maybe Jason had forgotten to shower after his half marathon, but we enjoyed the space nonetheless.
IMG_4446.jpg

From there we headed for lunch, but not before running into our favorite country crooner.
IMG_4447.jpg

There was blood on the saddle, blood all around....

We eventually made our way to Liberty Tree Tavern where soon the family from the Commonwealth of Virginia was seated in the George Washington room (fitting since we live about 30 minutes from Mount Vernon). After we were seated I was able to sneak over and see Jenny for a few more minutes. Jenny posted a horrible photo of me with way too may chins so you'll have to head on over to her report for proof :car:

To start off our meal Casey got some kind of a frozen drink and Jason and I enjoyed our first ever beers at Liberty Tree.
IMG_4449.jpg
They may have just been Sam Adams, but they most definitely hit the MK drinking spot!

For our entrees, we were pretty boring all the way around as Jason and I both got the Colony Salad with
Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, and Dried Cranberries tossed with Field Greens in a Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette
IMG_4451.jpg
I've had this several times now and its a great light and refreshing lunch. The cranberries add a great tang and I love the addition of the apples and cheese. However, I am disappointed that "field greens" now basically just means iceberg lettuce. Now granted iceberg lettuce is green and does grown in a field, but over the years they have replaced a spring mix with just iceberg. I'm sure this is driven by cost, but as an iceberg lettuce hater bring back the good lettuce!

Casey shared with me and I also got her some of the kids Chicken Soup to make sure we were both full.
IMG_4450.jpg

And who can leave Liberty Tree without one of the best desserts on property.
IMG_4452.jpg
Ooey Gooey Cake, Ice Cream, Chocolate, Caramel, and Toffee. Yes. Please. And Thank You!

Overall Liberty Tree continues to be a great lunch option at MK. I'm still disappointed the menu size is so small since they added the all you care to eat option, but you can't beat a relaxing meal with beer and ooey gooey toffee cake!

After lunch we braved 999 ghosts, a runaway mine train, a bunch of singing bears and had a yo ho family reunion with some of 'er mateys. But alas they wouldn't share the rum. That's okay mateys cause we found 'er treasure.
IMG_4453.jpg
My little pirate got her matey on for the first time and did two Pirate Adventures. We'd never done this before and Casey loved it!!!! Definite must do for all the lil matey's out there.

From there we headed back to our own pirate abode and got ready for a night of my kinda adventures.

Up next, we food, wine, and feel fine!

This gal, also from the commonwealth of VA, has the same T-shirt as Jason! Lol

I guess I’ll be adding a pirate adventure or two and maybe some ooey gooey cake to the next trip!

I loved an earlier version of that salad that lacked cranberries. I also got mad when they took away their awesome fried white cheddar curds and then the mozzarella sticks. Glad you enjoyed the salads! Oooey Gooey Cake! That cake is amazing! Glad you guys enjoy it too! Glad you got your beer!

Enjoy work today ;)

Last edited:
Beer in the MK ... I never thought I’d see the day. Seems like it’s been a non-issue. I still have yet to experience it, though, so will have to make a plan to fix that. That iceberg lettuce does look a little sad but it’s nice to have a light option. I hate when I eat too much and it makes for a sluggish afternoon. The pirate adventure sounds really cute. Glad Casey had such fun with it. You guys packed a lot into your day. Don’t blame you one bit for being ready for some food and wine!

We ended up walking to the bus stop at the "island" next to us (Trinidad North) to make sure we got a bus this time. Good thing we did as the bus was full and never even went to our normal stop.

Ugggh! This is by far one of the worst things about CBR. :( Entirely unfair if you end up in one of the sections that are last on the bus route.

We were in the corner of the waiting area and literally no one would move that way. I thought maybe Jason had forgotten to shower after his half marathon, but we enjoyed the space nonetheless.

:rotfl:

However, I am disappointed that "field greens" now basically just means iceberg lettuce. Now granted iceberg lettuce is green and does grown in a field, but over the years they have replaced a spring mix with just iceberg. I'm sure this is driven by cost, but as an iceberg lettuce hater bring back the good lettuce!

Aww man, that seems like such a lame substitution! I'm sure it's cheaper, but is it really cheap enough to justify such a greens downgrade? :headache:

This just made me hungry for LTT. I have an ADR for it the night before I do the Princess Half. I ate there the last RunDisney event I did so it's like a tradition now. I didn't know they had started serving beer though. Good to file away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter