Yo Ho Yo Ho a Tipsy Life for Me - A November '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 5/27

Man, I hope you guys made it through the day! That is REALLY early!

Love the reveal! I love that she figured it out immediately upon opening the bag.

I need to look for that Watermelon Beer somewhere. Sounds delish!

I'm not a beer drinker (gasp!), but that watermelon one sounds pretty good! May have to try it if it's there next year.

I would have been a zombie being up at 3am for a flight and then going to Disney all day. I am very impressed! All the food you tried at the Food and Wine looks really good. I'll have to add them to my list the next time I go.

The next morning we were up at 3 am, which I'm told is in the morning, but it might as well been midnight because we are not "morning" people. Or by we, I guess I should just say me, cause here is Casey en route to the airport.
:rotfl: I'm definitely more of a night owl. Occasionally I have to be at work at 3am, and I contemplate just staying up all night because I can't fall asleep early... Then I remember that after I work my 12 hour shift, I have to go home and do adult things, so I lay down and I get about two hours of sleep.
but it was still a mess. Good news was upon check in we received a gift card for $600 to compensate us for the construction and for that much money I can take just about anything.
If I hadn't changed our hotel plans by the time this came out (credit card points + dvc rental), this is where we would have been for sure. I would have happily taken a $600 gift card.
This ended up being one for my favorite dishes of the festival. The dip was creamy with tons of garlic flavor and just a hint of spice. We needed more than the two pieces of bread they gave us and it would have been better if they were toasted, but regardless the dip was hands down legit.
DH won't eat any fish/seafood, and I was too worried about not liking stuff so I didn't go to that one by myself. I was a little worried by the smell too :P I wish I had tried it though, it looks really good! There's never enough bread though (unless it's bread with weird things in it that you don't like, as I found out on our honeymoon...).

While in the area we also tried Active Eats where we tried the Loaded Mac 'n Cheese which is served with Pepper Bacon, Cheddar, Peppers, and Green Onions.
Jason and I each gt a bite of this before someone hoarded it for herself. My notes say it was good. My gut says if you're a 6 year old you'll really love it.
Me (and my tastebuds) are 6 years old at heart, so I was a fan. I could have done without the onions though - don't put any weird green things on my food, even parsley!
Um, I don't know why it split up my quote there, but I can't seem to fix it either... :scratchin
Overall we liked both dishes here. The smoked corned beef didn't taste like corned beef at all due to the great smoke on it and reminded me more of brisket. It paired beautifully on top of the chips and was a great portion.
I liked this, but I felt slightly misled by the description... I was expecting little fried potatoes, not chips :rotfl:

How fun to do a surprise trip! I bet it was difficult to keep the secret but worth it seeing how excited Casey was. She does a great monorail spiel, by the way! As you said, the ONLY good thing about those early flights is getting almost a full day in the parks. Yay for heading straight to Epcot! I don’t think I tried anything you had except those chips - those were good. I’m especially sad I missed that watermelon beer - you look so happy with it! :)

Sorry I missed the start but happy to be here now! Loved your previous TR's and excited for this one too! That scampi dip was my favorite also, but agree- wish the bread was toasted.

That scampi dip was good! Glad you got to try it
Me too! It was yum to the e!

Lol love the video! What's a sure sign that your kids goes to Disney a lot--when she can recite the announcements in English and Spanish! :tongue:
Yes, she clearly goes a lot. I think this was her 10th trip so by this point she should be able to recite everything in English, Spanish, and Japanese! :-)

The early bird gets the worm or at least a few treats at F&W, nice to see Casey so cheerful at 3:00am, after all it is a Disney day.

I liked the corned beef with the chips as well, that was the only thing I tried at this year’s F&W so really enjoy your reviews of the different booths. Keep it coming!
Yes getting up early certainly had its benefits. I like to go down the night before so we can wake up in Disney, but Jason for some reason thinks its not vacation if you don't have to catch a plane at 0 dark thirty. And of course its cheaper :-)

If you were only able to try the corned beef than you did just fine for F&@ :thumbsup2

Oh so you're actually doing updates? I thought it was just the intro and.......... mic drop :snooty:

Wow we didn't try any of the stuff you had that day at F&W! I do wish I'd gotten to try the Watermelon Gose Ale though, it sounded good when you described it to me.

That car is MOST fierce!
:P:P:P:P:P Ok now that I got that out of my system....

I should think about just doing intros and nothing else and seeing how long I could keep that going :P But in my defense it was only a week in between and for the record I was sick and still managed to work 50+ hours last week.

You would LOVE the Watermelon gose. We ended up stopping just about everytime we walked by!!! Random aside, but speaking of gose's a craft brewery by us has a tart cherry one that is amazing and right up your alley. You'll have to come have some :drinking1

Always enjoy your reports, and again, your daughter is so pretty and seems to be so outgoing and self confident. You can see it in her pictures and it's awesome
Hi Amber!!! Thanks for reading again. Love that you pick up on Casey's confidence. We figure there will be so many people in the world trying to tear her down, we've gotta build her up as much as we can :-)

I’m super duper tardy to the party, but am finally trying to get back into the DIS swing of things and just knew you’d have a new report going! I’ve got my vodka and Cranberry by my side and I’m commencing to read. :drinking1
Hey there stranger!!!! Hope you had a good trip. I can't wait to hear all about it. And what do you know I have my wine by my side as I'm typing:drinking1

Yuck I agree it shouldn't be so dark in the "morning".
Double yuck from me. That was way too early for my liking. Plus we only live about 10 minutes away from the airport, but we went out of the one in the city this time vice the burbs so it took us three times as long to get there. That did not help anything.

I would stay at CBR during the construction too if they gave me $600 :thumbsup2
I know right??? I can't believe they were offering so much. Ariane made our reservations for us and told me I was crazy, but for that much money I'd be up for sleeping at a Fort Wilderness campsite without a tent :P

This was one of my favorite things from the festival, yum!
:thumbsup2

Oh, what a first day, Cap'n! All that energy! All that fun and lusciousness. More power to you! That Flavours from Fire menu is making me hungry. Back to the galley I go!
Glad you could come out of the galley for a bit. Whatcha making back there :-)

I still can't believe we went as long as we did. And poor Jason had to be up that early again the next 2 days for the 10K and half marathon.

This made me LOL, cause I thought the same thing. HAHAHA!
:P:P:P:P:P To you too!

Great start Kari!!!! The Smoked Corn Beef looks amazing (as do the brews...).8-)
Ok, now you're forgiven

OOH NICE! I wish we'd jumped on the whole "book now and we'll pay you for your troubles" thing at CBR. I'm anxiously awaiting seeing the war zone for our upcoming trip...
Are you staying there this month????? Good news is its really bad when you enter the resort, but once you get into where the rooms are it really isn't noticeable. We had a running joke everytime we were cursing something about the resort (which largely was the buses) that we'd hold the gift card in front of us and all would be forgiven.

:laughing:
Interesting combination...doesn't sound like my cup of tea...or coffee/beer.
:rotfl2:

Naturally! Because what else does one do at Epcot besides drink and thank Phoenicians!?
Drinking, check. Thank the Phoenicians, check. Yep thats it. Nothing left after that :-)

Great start! I am a morning person and 3:00am is still not on my radar (God help me through Dopey, this January)!
I love how photogenic Casey is, and that she really knows how to "strike a pose".
I too would have been looking for some libations after being awake for 7+ hours from O-dark-early, and they wouldn't have been wine either ;)
Well if you're a morning person you'll likely have a much better adjustment than us, but those races are tough. Not that I've done one, but Jason did the 10K and half after this so he had 3 crazy early mornings.

Ms. Casey definitely has posing down. There may or may not be a few picture later where she gets us all into the game :-)

Say that 3x fast! Sounds super refreshing though.
I'll do ya one better and cut and paste it. Founders Brewing Company Green Zebra Watermelon Gose Ale Founders Brewing Company Green Zebra Watermelon Gose Ale Founders Brewing Company Green Zebra Watermelon Gose Ale :drinking1

Great start. Food looks yummy but yeah,so not a fan of travelling during the wee small hours of the morning but if you're gonna do it at least you're travelling to Disney so :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Yeah, the Disney helps but I'm gonna do my best to make sure we do NOT do that again

Still amazed you guys were awake when I met you!
I'm not sure how we did it and in cause you couldn't tell Casey was definitely feeling it by the time we ran into you. We'd tried to keep her sugared up and even gave her a swig of iced coffee but she was fading fast. Still not sure how she got through dinner that night.

Ah that's why! The drinks in here were downright nasty. Good thing you didn't get one!
Yeah they all looked cool and I loved the louge they had, but they just didn't sound appetizing at all.

We got this as well and I did like it but I'd much rather have the dip again!
You got it right. That dip was great!

Man, I hope you guys made it through the day! That is REALLY early!
It was close, but we made it. Thank goodness for sugar!

Love the reveal! I love that she figured it out immediately upon opening the bag.
Not up to your standards, but for a couple of lazy parents it worked out :-) I think she was on to us from before she even saw the bag, but didn't want to say it out loud for fear of jinking herself or something.

I'm not a beer drinker (gasp!), but that watermelon one sounds pretty good! May have to try it if it's there next year.
Not a beer drinker :scared1::scared1::scared1: I used to not be one either - except for my beloved Miller Lite - but thankfully for Jason I caught on.

I would have been a zombie being up at 3am for a flight and then going to Disney all day. I am very impressed! All the food you tried at the Food and Wine looks really good. I'll have to add them to my list the next time I go.
We were pretty close to zombies by the time the day ended. But if you're gonna be a zombie, we'll take being Disney zombies :-)

I'm definitely more of a night owl. Occasionally I have to be at work at 3am, and I contemplate just staying up all night because I can't fall asleep early... Then I remember that after I work my 12 hour shift, I have to go home and do adult things, so I lay down and I get about two hours of sleep.
3 am for work :scared1::scared1::scared1: That is crazy. I don't know how you do different shifts. My clock could not handle that. I had to make sure I was up and at work for a 7am meeting today and that just about broke me :P

If I hadn't changed our hotel plans by the time this came out (credit card points + dvc rental), this is where we would have been for sure. I would have happily taken a $600 gift card.
Yeah, pirate room or not, I couldn't pass up that kinda cold hard cash or plastic in this case :-)

DH won't eat any fish/seafood, and I was too worried about not liking stuff so I didn't go to that one by myself. I was a little worried by the smell too :P I wish I had tried it though, it looks really good! There's never enough bread though (unless it's bread with weird things in it that you don't like, as I found out on our honeymoon...).
It was definitely good, but if hubby wouldn't eat it it was probably wise you didn't brave the smelly line alone. I know it was a fish related booth, but that smell was just foul

I liked this, but I felt slightly misled by the description... I was expecting little fried potatoes, not chips :rotfl:
Me too, though I love a chip so I was happy in the end.

Nailed it.

Loving the report so far - I always so enjoy your food descriptions :thumbsup2
Thanks Tracy!

How fun to do a surprise trip! I bet it was difficult to keep the secret but worth it seeing how excited Casey was. She does a great monorail spiel, by the way! As you said, the ONLY good thing about those early flights is getting almost a full day in the parks. Yay for heading straight to Epcot! I don’t think I tried anything you had except those chips - those were good. I’m especially sad I missed that watermelon beer - you look so happy with it! :)
It was definitely hard to keep the secret, especially when we wanted to talk about trip stuff.

I'll tell Casey you like her monorail spiel. She'll be thrilled :-)

I was definitely a happy girl with my beer. It was like it was made for me. Fingers crossed I can find it here next summer as it is perfect for the heat!

Sorry I missed the start but happy to be here now! Loved your previous TR's and excited for this one too! That scampi dip was my favorite also, but agree- wish the bread was toasted.
Thanks so much. Glad to have you along.

The dip was definitely a winner, but why they didn't toast the bread was beyond me. Seems like cooking 101

The Shrimp Scampi dip looks great but needed more bread. Like others I'm impressed by the 3:00am wake up followed by touring. We had a 4:00am wake up for our flight and all we did once at POFQ was head to DS for lunch & dinner with a long stop by the pool (& bar :drinking1) in between.

The Shrimp Scampi dip looks great but needed more bread. Like others I'm impressed by the 3:00am wake up followed by touring. We had a 4:00am wake up for our flight and all we did once at POFQ was head to DS for lunch & dinner with a long stop by the pool (& bar :drinking1) in between.
Your plan sounds much better than ours, but I'm not sure Casey could have withstood no park time.

Glad to see I'm only a few weeks late to the party. Looking forward to catching up over the weekend!!
Hi there stranger!!!! Hope all is well with you. Are you a married lady yet?

The Wildest Meal in the Wilderness

Quick real life update, before I get to the FOOD!!! We're enjoying a lovely snowy day here in DC so its lots of DIS and wine for me! And snow and hot chocolate for this little lady.
IMG_4855.jpg

We'd left off after some food and wine adventures for Jason and I, then headed to the Magic Kingdom via the monorail as there was no chance we could keep Casey out of MK on day 1. On the way into MK, we made a pit stop at Starbucks for Jason and I to get some much needed caffeine. While we waited in line, Casey found a seat with a view.
IMG_4326.jpg

I'm not a huge coffee drinker so I'm pretty much a Starbucks novice so I took the opportunity to try a pumpkin latte for the first time.
IMG_4327.jpg

At this point I was texting with Su-Lynn aka @chunkymonkey who was also in MK. Thankfully we were able to meet up for a quick hello before their mine train FP.
IMG_4336.jpg
You'll note the random stuffed animal Casey had. At this point she had been up for 12 hours and was getting a little punchy. So what better than a bribe, I mean gift, to keep a girl going.

From there we rode on an elephant, flew through deep dark space, stormed some barns with goofy, before tackling a much tamer ride in a spot of tea.
IMG_0061.jpg
Funny aside I have slight motion sickness so when we ride the teacups I wedge my leg against the wheel so we don't spin too fast. Well after all these years I finally got caught thigh handed by Casey. #TheJigisUP

At this point it was approaching dinner time and we were getting tired and hangry. I'd suggested heading over to Wilderness Lodge to check out Geyser Point, but Jason was concerned about it being crowded. Instead we were able to get a last minute ADR at Whispering Canyon. So off to our favorite resort we went!

We were seated quickly right in the middle of the action, I mean restaurant, and it wasn't long before this little beauty found its way to me.
IMG_0069.jpg

Our first day of vacation did not have nearly enough tipsiness to it, so this hit the spot. I think it was Moosehead - which was the only beer they had on draft - but to could have been alcoholic Moosepee at this point and I would have drank it.

It was about this time that some of the hijinks started. Our server - who was fabulous by the way and the best of our trip - dropped napkins over Casey's head and kept throwing straws at her till she finally caught one. Casey didn't know what to make of it at first, but loved every minute.

As we were starving we started with the Gold Rush Western Chips

IMG_0070.jpg
These are your standard tortilla tortilla chips served in a skillet with Chili, Queso Dip, and fresh Salsa. These were nothing special and your standard order nachos, but for 3 people who'd be up for 15 hours and had barely eaten anything they tasted like the gold in their name. I will mention at only $12 these were huge and a relative steal.

Continued in next post.....

Last edited:
The Wildest Meal in the Wilderness Part II

It wasn't long before our much needed meals arrived.
IMG_0075.jpg
Jason got the Chile-crusted Oak-roasted Pork Loin Rib Chop with Stone-ground Cheese Grits, Braised Chard, Cranberry-Apple Relish, and Pork Jus. That's a lotta hyphens. Jason said the pork was very moist, but didn't have a ton of flavor. He loved the grits and the chard, but sadly this only had about 2 tablespoons of chard. Overall he was starving so while he said he wouldn't rave or complain about it, he was a happy camper.

Casey and I decided to share the St. Louis Style Full Slab of Pork Ribs
with Chili-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce, Mashed Yukon Potatoes, Onion Rings, and Corn on the Cob
IMG_0076.jpg
Anyone who knows me knows they had me at onion rings and mashed potatoes, but Casey also LOVES ribs so this was a no brainer. The onion rings were delicious and crispy and I loved the mashed potatoes as they were classically creamy and lumpy. I can't make mashed potatoes for the life of me so these were much appreciated. The ribs had great smoky flavor and a nice pink color, but were a bit chewy for my liking.
IMG_0077.jpg
Chew! Chew! Chew!

Cased loved everything, but she needed a little something for her onion rings. What could that be? Any guesses?.....
After seeing other people asking for ketchup she couldn't resist asking herself. And you could say her wish was granted, 20 fold!
IMG_0074.jpg
Turn about being fair play the table that needed ketchup after us was all the way in the back of the restaurant and clueless as to what was going on up front. Their stunned reactions when we ran up with ketchup were priceless.

After we finished eating Casey got a little horse race in before it was time to leave.
IMG_0078.jpg
Overall we had a great meal. Whispering Canyon has a fun and lively atmosphere and while the food didn't blow us away, the prices were definitely fair. I thought their menu was a bit limited, but I'm presuming thats because most folks are getting the unlimited skillet. This was unquestionably Casey's favorite meal of the trip, as she asked to go back several times. So I see a lot more of this in our future.

After dinner we hit up Roaring Fork for some provisions for later then Uber'd back to Caribbean Beach to check out our ship - I mean room - for the week. And thus we have the inspiration for ye ole tipsy dining report.

We spent the rest of the evening unpacking and enjoying our Wilderness Lodge snacks. Casey and Jason each got a smore's cupcake.
IMG_4333.jpg
And I got one of my beloved Magic Bars.
IMG_4334.jpg
And you know there was more than a little of this going on before we finally crashed for the night.
IMG_4335.jpg

Up next, dining in the dark

I’m here! Late to the party and hoping I can keep up. Just read the intro, which I love! Going back for more!

You guys did very well with getting up that early. I don’t know why I forget in the moment that getting up early is going to yield great results as far as Disney goes.

I would do the $600 gift card deal for sure!

That seafood booth menu looks really good! But yeah, stingy much with the bread?

Yum on that Mac n cheese. Yes, I love my carbs!

Oh and from someone who is only a fan of one beer, Schofferhofer Grapefruit, that Watermelon beer sounds appealing!

Last edited:
While we waited in line, Casey found a seat with a view.
Now this is the spot! I’ve personally never seen FoF but this would be a good place to view it!

I'm not a huge coffee drinker so I'm pretty much a Starbucks novice
I am a huge coffee drinker but I’m not a huge Starbucks person - I’m way too cheap - except when I have gift cards (I do get a few as it’s a teacher gift go to) and they have some type of specialty beverage.

At this point I was texting with Su-Lynn aka @chunkymonkey who was also in MK. Thankfully we were able to meet up for a quick hello before their mine train FP.
Yay! A meet!

Funny aside I have slight motion sickness so when we ride the teacups I wedge my leg against the wheel so we don't spin too fast. Well after all these years I finally got caught thigh handed by Casey. #TheJigisUP
Haha. And I feel you on the motion sickness thing. I avoid the tea cups like the plague.

Instead we were able to get a last minute ADR at Whispering Canyon. So off to our favorite resort we went!
Yay! Obviously we love WL, and we did enjoy our meal at WCC, though I haven’t gotten to that part in my TR (will I ever get there is a serious question).

After seeing other people asking for ketchup she couldn't resist asking herself. And you could say her wish was granted, 20 fold!
Gotta ask for ketchup at WCC!

And thus we have the inspiration for ye ole tipsy dining report.
Love it!

Casey and Jason each got a smore's cupcake.
I had one of these in June. Yum!

Or by we, I guess I should just say me, cause here is Casey en route to the airport.

This was great! I quote that all the time too

img_4312-jpg.286527

Who doesn't need a donut as big as their head??

Precious! I'm envious of her freckles

could have been alcoholic Moosepee at this point and I would have drank it.

:rotfl:

That face :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter