yosemite.....how much time? any advice?

tink70

artistmarnie.com
Thinking about a trip out west, and looking at visiting Yosemite. How much time should we plan?
Is it something you just drive through? as we are not big hikers....
From here we plan on heading to Vegas, then grand canyon.

Any advice?

I've spent as little as 6 hours and as much as 6 days and 5 nights. Yosemite Valley can be done as a quick trip for a few hours. I'd recommend longer, but you can see quite a lot in a few hours.

Thank you, sounds good! Just priced this trip and its crazy expensive, so I am trying to figure out where to cut my time.....

I'd recommend the Valley Floor tram tour.

Header-Valley-Floor-Tour-1.3.6.1__img1.jpg

http://www.yosemitepark.com/valley-floor-tour.aspx

You can get a reservation but they're switching over park concessionaires next year so it will probably be a different website. You'd also want to be sure that you get there in time for a reservation. It's possible to go without a reservation, but they typically sell out.

I recommend a couple of days in Yosemite. One day should be to go up to Glacier Point, and another day to see the valley. You don't have to go hiking, but some of the trails give you absolutely gorgeous views, especially if you are already in the higher country.

You can also go and spend one day in Yosemite, still going to Glacier Point, and on the second day, drive up 120 to Tioga Road, through Tuolomne Meadows, and down to 395 to continue to Las Vegas - it's a breathtaking drive.

I've spent as little as 6 hours and as much as 6 days and 5 nights. Yosemite Valley can be done as a quick trip for a few hours. I'd recommend longer, but you can see quite a lot in a few hours.
Agree, and it depends on what time of year you are going. Some of the higher roads are closed a good bit of the year.

Most of the valley can be seen by driving, plus a few short hikes -- or you could spend days and days there. It's the most beautiful place I've ever been. I have not taken the above tour, but I've seen the trucks many times and it looks like a great way to see the valley.

I also agree with Mary Jo's suggestions if the roads are open, and I would add a drive to Wawona tunnel for the spectacular classic postcard view. The first time I took my wife there, we drove up from LA and came in via Wawona. Approaching the tunnel is beyond non-descript -- so boring the tunnel was an upgrade -- and she had no idea what to expect. But as soon as we exited the tunnel, she started screaming, "STOP THE CAR!!!!!" I did, of course, and she spent more than an hour there photographing the valley below. Absolutely breathtaking.

There are dozens of amazing hikes, both in the valley and the upcountry, but I'll give you three easy ones.
  • To the base of Yosemite Falls, which is right in the heart of the village almost. Not sure of the distance, but short and flat.
  • To the base of Bridalveil Falls. A little longer. Again, not sure of the distance, but the park website will have tons of details. Also pretty flat.
  • Mist Trail -- this one is straight up, but easy because of numerous switchbacks. There's a reason why this is called Mist Trail -- it's alongside Vernal Falls, and you're going to get soaked. Further up, another mile maybe past Vernal is Nevada Falls and that's a nice little additional walk on pretty level terrain. At the top of Vernal Falls, respect the setting and use common sense. No wilderness setting is a good place for horseplay or stupidity, especially a place like this. A few years ago, some hikers decided to wade in the pool just above the falls. One got in trouble, two others went in to help, and all 3 went over the falls and died. Be safe and have fun.
There's also a lot of interesting history in Yosemite, from the earliest people, to the Gold Rush days, and even to becoming the first natural place put under U.S. Government protection to preserve the beauty of the place. (Yellowstone was the first National Park, but Yosemite was protected before Yellowstone) And Yosemite's first protectors, of course, were Buffalo Soldiers of the U.S. Cavalry, many of whom were Black Seminoles -- descendants of Black Seminoles relocated from Florida to Oklahoma in the 1830's after the Second Seminole War. Pretty interesting and convoluted journey!

Agree, and it depends on what time of year you are going. Some of the higher roads are closed a good bit of the year.

Most of the valley can be seen by driving, plus a few short hikes -- or you could spend days and days there. It's the most beautiful place I've ever been. I have not taken the above tour, but I've seen the trucks many times and it looks like a great way to see the valley.

I also agree with Mary Jo's suggestions if the roads are open, and I would add a drive to Wawona tunnel for the spectacular classic postcard view. The first time I took my wife there, we drove up from LA and came in via Wawona. Approaching the tunnel is beyond non-descript -- so boring the tunnel was an upgrade -- and she had no idea what to expect. But as soon as we exited the tunnel, she started screaming, "STOP THE CAR!!!!!" I did, of course, and she spent more than an hour there photographing the valley below. Absolutely breathtaking.

There are dozens of amazing hikes, both in the valley and the upcountry, but I'll give you three easy ones.
  • To the base of Yosemite Falls, which is right in the heart of the village almost. Not sure of the distance, but short and flat.
  • To the base of Bridalveil Falls. A little longer. Again, not sure of the distance, but the park website will have tons of details. Also pretty flat.
  • Mist Trail -- this one is straight up, but easy because of numerous switchbacks. There's a reason why this is called Mist Trail -- it's alongside Vernal Falls, and you're going to get soaked. Further up, another mile maybe past Vernal is Nevada Falls and that's a nice little additional walk on pretty level terrain. At the top of Vernal Falls, respect the setting and use common sense. No wilderness setting is a good place for horseplay or stupidity, especially a place like this. A few years ago, some hikers decided to wade in the pool just above the falls. One got in trouble, two others went in to help, and all 3 went over the falls and died. Be safe and have fun.
There's also a lot of interesting history in Yosemite, from the earliest people, to the Gold Rush days, and even to becoming the first natural place put under U.S. Government protection to preserve the beauty of the place. (Yellowstone was the first National Park, but Yosemite was protected before Yellowstone) And Yosemite's first protectors, of course, were Buffalo Soldiers of the U.S. Cavalry, many of whom were Black Seminoles -- descendants of Black Seminoles relocated from Florida to Oklahoma in the 1830's after the Second Seminole War. Pretty interesting and convoluted journey!

So, have you met Shelton Johnson, the park ranger who uncovered a photo of said soldiers protecting Yosemite? He did a research project where he visited archives in San Francisco and found that they came from the Presidio via horseback to Yosemite. He also does a reenactment where he portrays a soldier. The name is real from the archives, but apparently he gave him a promotion to sergeant.

buffalo.shelton-web.jpg

Another park ranger (Rik Penn) at the Presidio (now part of Golden Gate National Recreation Area) does talks based on the story from the San Francisco side.

The view from the side of the tunnel is of course called Tunnel View. There was a little bit of controversy because the National Park Service cut down some trees to improve the view, but in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't be that big a deal. The natives would actually burn the forest to clear brush and to create preferential conditions for the oak trees that produced their food source (acorns). The Valley Floor tram tour actually stops there.

7319772684_662a483523_b.jpg

As far as the Mist Trail goes, it's only 1.5 miles and not all that difficult for someone who is reasonably fit. However, the NPS rates it as "strenuous" because it can get really tiring with that much vertical elevation gain and how hard it can be on the knees/hips.

So, have you met Shelton Johnson, the park ranger who uncovered a photo of said soldiers protecting Yosemite? He did a research project where he visited archives in San Francisco and found that they came from the Presidio via horseback to Yosemite. He also does a reenactment where he portrays a soldier. The name is real from the archives, but apparently he gave him a promotion to sergeant.

buffalo.shelton-web.jpg

Another park ranger (Rik Penn) at the Presidio (now part of Golden Gate National Recreation Area) does talks based on the story from the San Francisco side.

The view from the side of the tunnel is of course called Tunnel View. There was a little bit of controversy because the National Park Service cut down some trees to improve the view, but in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't be that big a deal. The natives would actually burn the forest to clear brush and to create preferential conditions for the oak trees that produced their food source (acorns). The Valley Floor tram tour actually stops there.

As far as the Mist Trail goes, it's only 1.5 miles and not all that difficult for someone who is reasonably fit. However, the NPS rates it as "strenuous" because it can get really tiring with that much vertical elevation gain and how hard it can be on the knees/hips.
No, I haven't met Shelton, although I've heard of his programs. I'm sure he's a really good interpreter.

I did some research on my own about the Black Seminoles in Florida a few years ago and was amazed to learn of the connection with Yosemite! I have a good friend who was a backcountry horse ranger (seasonal) at Yosemite for years.

No, I haven't met Shelton, although I've heard of his programs. I'm sure he's a really good interpreter.

I've never personally seen him do the in character interpretation. Where I've interacted with him, he answered questions at the visitor center, gave a talk on bears, and even led a snowshoe walk. I certainly asked him about it, but when someone asked if he was famous, he said "I've been on TV a few times".

This was before he was featured in the Ken Burns documentary of the national parks, and before he hosted Oprah when she visited Yosemite. I think he wrote a book too.

• From the shuttle stop, the walk to the base of Yosemite Falls is probably 5 minutes, and there is a bridge. Depending on the time of year (until May lots of water, June/July starts drying out, August on it's dry unless there is a rain)
  • From the parking lot (shuttle doesn't go here), the walk to the observation area by the base of the falls is probably 5 minutes or a little over, but not by much
  • Mist trail is 1/4 mile of a steep, but very doable, paved trail to a bridge that gives you a vantage point to Vernal Falls, if you wish to hike to the top of the falls, continue on as JimMIA says for an incredible hike alongside the waterfall.

buffalo.shelton-web.jpg

So cool. I've never heard of him. I hope to find out more when we go next May (we're doing Panoramic trail again)

Cutting down those trees made a big difference in the view from this point.

So cool. I've never heard of him. I hope to find out more when we go next May (we're doing Panoramic trail again)

He's got an interesting history. He served in the Peace Corp in Liberia. Degree in English (apparently didn't finish his masters because he joined NPS). Apparently fell in love with our national parks when taking a summer job washing dishes at Yellowstone. Wrote a book. And I just found his Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelton_Johnson

Also - the Buffalo Soldier protection detail also included Sequoia National Park.

that's very interesting about the guide! I also like the idea of the easy hikes, I think we could manage that. We are from New England and love to visit New Hampshire, where we can do small hikes to waterfalls. I am sure that they are nothing like whats in these parks! We are hoping to go in July. I have been pricing trip and its so expensive! So I am trying to figure out ways we can do it.
I am thinking of flying in to the john wayne airport, going to Disneyland for 3 days then driving up to grover beach where the boys can ride 4 wheelers on the beach. Then over to Yosemite for a few days, and then to vegas for two days and then home. My family wants to rent an rv, but I feel that's just going to make it more expensive. Still trying to figure it all out, so I appreciate your advice, thank you all...

If you only want to do minimal hiking I think 2 days is pretty ideal. But I would spring for the extra expense of staying onsite because the drive in from any other lodging is usually about an hour. Our first day we did the valley floor tour and walked around the village area plus took all the bus routes to get a lay of the land. Our second day we did all the little hikes meaning the ones about a mile with level (and mostly paved paths). I think there were 3 of those. Then we drove over to the Redwood Grove and did that little hike too. There are lots of good Yosemite guide books and I scanned in the pages for the hikes we wanted to do.

If you plan to stay in/near Yosemite overnight, I definitely suggest staying in the valley as well. There are a handful of campgrounds (reservations open 5 months in advance at 7 am PST and go very quick), as well as a couple of hotels (reservations open a year in advance). Driving into the valley takes at least an hour on windy, nauseating roads. You are best just staying there instead of doing that drive each morning. Don't be fooled by the campgrounds/hotels that say they are "right outside Yosemite! Just minutes away!" Usually this means they are just minutes from the border of the park, but not the valley, which is where most everything you would want to see is located.

The other two main areas to see are Tuolumne Meadows and the Wawona area/Mariposa Grove. The Mariposa Grove will likely still be closed to visitors, as they are doing a complete remodel of the facilities there. So, unless you are interested in staying at the Wawona Hotel or campground, you probably won't have much to do in that area. As already mentioned, you can have a nice drive through Tuolumne Meadows if you leave the park that way to head towards Vegas.

In addition to the very easy Bridalveil Falls and Yosemite Falls walks, if your family is at all interested in history/geology then you will want to stop by the visitor's center and museum. If your family is interested in swimming, there is a short hike to Mirror Lake which provides a nice watering hole where we encountered several families out swimming/lounging on the sand. Also, do not miss Glacier Point! You will need to drive up another long and windy road to get there, about an hour's drive from the valley. But it is worth it. The view at the top is amazing. I would consider it one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. We used some photos we took there as the background for our wedding invitations!

If you are staying in the valley, once there you will want to park your car at your campsite/hotel and likely not move it (except for the drive to Glacier Point, unless you do that on the way) until you leave. There are only a couple of roads through the valley, and they can quickly become congested, so it is highly suggested that visitors take the free shuttles to their various destinations. Stops are all over the place and buses arrive frequently. Or, a popular solution is to bring or rent bikes and bike throughout the valley. I had so much fun doing this as a kid.

As for how long you stay there, I would think that two nights would be perfect.

Enjoy your trip!!

The other two main areas to see are Tuolumne Meadows and the Wawona area/Mariposa Grove. The Mariposa Grove will likely still be closed to visitors, as they are doing a complete remodel of the facilities there. So, unless you are interested in staying at the Wawona Hotel or campground, you probably won't have much to do in that area. As already mentioned, you can have a nice drive through Tuolumne Meadows if you leave the park that way to head towards Vegas.

Wawona still has the 9-hole golf course; it's visible from Wawona Road. Of course the old par-3 golf course and tennis courts in Yosemite Valley (at the Ahwahnee Hotel) were removed.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/golf.aspx

Header-Golf-1.3.8_img1.jpg

If you plan to stay in/near Yosemite overnight, I definitely suggest staying in the valley as well. There are a handful of campgrounds (reservations open 5 months in advance at 7 am PST and go very quick), as well as a couple of hotels (reservations open a year in advance). Driving into the valley takes at least an hour on windy, nauseating roads. You are best just staying there instead of doing that drive each morning. Don't be fooled by the campgrounds/hotels that say they are "right outside Yosemite! Just minutes away!" Usually this means they are just minutes from the border of the park, but not the valley, which is where most everything you would want to see is located.

In addition to the very easy Bridalveil Falls and Yosemite Falls walks, if your family is at all interested in history/geology then you will want to stop by the visitor's center and museum. If your family is interested in swimming, there is a short hike to Mirror Lake which provides a nice watering hole where we encountered several families out swimming/lounging on the sand. Also, do not miss Glacier Point! You will need to drive up another long and windy road to get there, about an hour's drive from the valley. But it is worth it. The view at the top is amazing. I would consider it one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. We used some photos we took there as the background for our wedding invitations!

If you are staying in the valley, once there you will want to park your car at your campsite/hotel and likely not move it (except for the drive to Glacier Point, unless you do that on the way) until you leave. There are only a couple of roads through the valley, and they can quickly become congested, so it is highly suggested that visitors take the free shuttles to their various destinations. Stops are all over the place and buses arrive frequently. Or, a popular solution is to bring or rent bikes and bike throughout the valley. I had so much fun doing this as a kid.

As for how long you stay there, I would think that two nights would be perfect.

Enjoy your trip!!

What wonderful information! Would you happen to know a nice hotel to stay at in the valley? If not, I can look, you just seemed to know the area so well, I thought you might know of one.
Thank you for all the info!

We stayed in the valley last June. We spent one night at Yosemite Falls Lodge and one night at the Ahwahnee . The lodge is more of a traditional motel like room. Some of the architecture is of the Mission 66 genre. The Ahwahnee is a historical, artistically beautiful hotel built in 1927. If you don't decide to stay at the Ahwahnee you should visit to see the beautiful interior spaces. There are free historical tours. Both hotels are on the Valley bus line as is the Ranger Station and entrances to Mirror Lake hike, etc. We also enjoyed the Valley floor tour operated by the NPS in an open tram. BTW their are alternate sequoia groves that are open, even though the Mariposa grove is closed. Enjoy your trip!

What wonderful information! Would you happen to know a nice hotel to stay at in the valley? If not, I can look, you just seemed to know the area so well, I thought you might know of one.
Thank you for all the info!

There are basically four places for the general public to stay in Yosemite Valley outside of the campgrounds. The fanciest is the Ahwahnee Hotel. It was built as a luxury hotel for the rich and well connected. They built it to get the support of important people who might back the then fledgling National Park Service. It's a full-service hotel and considered one of the finest examples of "National Park Rustic" architecture. Then there's Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, which is more a motel style accommodation, although generally pretty nice. All the accommodations are in lodge style buildings. Curry Village has both tent cabins and hard-sided wooden cabins, although the latter are very limited these days. Quite a bit of Curry Village accommodations were removed after a big rockfall. Finally there's Housekeeping Camp. I guess it serves a purpose, but I think it looks like a hastily built refugee camp. It looks like a concrete bunker with a canvas wall for a front door.

Also - the official park concessionaire is changing next year from Delaware North Companies to Aramark. I'm not sure how the reservations are going to be handled or whether or not there might be hiccups. Previously it would have been difficult to get summer reservations unless you do it well in advance. They were made available a year in advance, and you could book the start of your stay a year ahead. For example, if you wanted three nights starting June 4, you could book it as early as the previous year's June 4. I've seen scattered availability a few months ahead of time. Yosemite Lodge is typically sold out, even during the winter months.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/...f-aramark-for-primary-concession-contract.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts