Yosemite-Late May or Late June/Cali Itinerary

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip to camping trip to California next summer but we aren’t sure when the best time to visit Yosemite would be? Our two options are late May (Wed-Saturday AFTER Memorial Day) or late June...anytime after June 15. Which would you all suggest? We are most interested in the waterfalls, but are gorgeous waterfalls worth giving up the possibility of seeing the High Country/Tuoluomme Meadows region? We will be tent camping and we realize how competitive spots in Yosemite are as we missed getting to a spot last year although we were on right at the moment they were released so I want to make sure that we are outside the booking windows if we miss out on the May dates. (Hope that makes sense to those familiar with the NPS reservation system.)

Our tentative plan with May dates is as follows:

Friday May 22-Fly into either SFO or OAK (any preference or reason one would be better than the other)
Rent van and drive to Big Sur
Camp 2 nights at either Kirk Creek or Julia Pfeiffer/Big Sur (any one have a suggestion as to the best choice)
Sat-Explore Big Sur
Sun, May 24-Drive to Sequoia Natl Park thru Cambria and Paso Robles
Camp 2 nights at Lodgpole
Mon, May 25-Explore Giant forest
Tues, May 26-Explore Kings Canyon
Tuesday night-Best Western Plus Oakhurst, CA
Wed, May 27-Yosemite for 3nights (recommendations for campgrounds?) I think I was looking at Upper Pines.
Thurs, May 28-Explore Yosemite
Friday, May 29-Glacier Point
Sat, May 30-Head back towards SF/Oakland pretty early. Would like time to see the Golden Gate Bridge that evening/maybe ride cable car.
Sun, May 31-Golden Gate Bridge if not enough time and then fly home.

These our are tentative plans would probably do the same thing if we went in June. Any suggestions appreciated!

Can't help you with Yosemite but will say you will love Sequoia.

We did it this past August. We did not camp and entered from Three Rivers. It was amazing. Check out Moro Rock it's a great climb to the top and the view are incredible and worth it. We did the Giant Forest Museum, Moro Rock, drove though Tunnel Log, the Gen Sherman Tree, and walked the Big Trees Trail.

Have a blast!!!

There can be a lot of snow on the ground in the Sierras in late May. I'd try to go as late in the year as possible. Fall is better than spring.

Can't help you with Yosemite but will say you will love Sequoia.

We did it this past August. We did not camp and entered from Three Rivers. It was amazing. Check out Moro Rock it's a great climb to the top and the view are incredible and worth it. We did the Giant Forest Museum, Moro Rock, drove though Tunnel Log, the Gen Sherman Tree, and walked the Big Trees Trail.

Have a blast!!!

Ive recently started looking into our plans for Sequoia more and I am quickly becoming excited to see it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter