"You have a pothole in your ankle." (Comments Welcomed)

schrammalot

Mouseketeer
Hi!
Let me introduce myself.

1471331_10201214906798219_1733297198_n.jpg

(Fiance so far has lost at least 35-40 pounds as of 4/8/14. He keeps losing it so quickly that I can't keep up!)

I'm Christine, I'm 25. I have a rather rare condition called osteochondritis dissecans (OCD from here on out). For whatever reason, blood flow stopped at one point in time to my talus bone in the ankle and the cartilage peeled back. What was left was a bone fragment and a giant pothole in the top of the talus.
BfkFd1ICUAES25s.jpg

I did it about 10-15 years ago playing soccer. I had surgery done in December and I am almost back to 100% now (this past winter in the Northeast really sucks when you're on crutches!).

Although my weight did not contribute to this (I have OCD in both ankles and elbows), it sure isn't helping that I'm about 100 lbs overweight.

I joined WW when I was stuck on the couch post-op. So far, I've lost about 30 pounds since January! Yes, I had cheat weekends (this past weekend, we went up to Philly for Phillies opening day and ate like we had never seen food before!).

I still have about 70 pounds to go to my HS rowing weight.

So, I started my training today (which was a terrible idea, since my physical therapy was very squat-heavy yesterday).

Was able to walk .75 miles at 3.5 mph on the treadmill, then spent some time on the stationary bike.

I know I could have gone further if my feet and ankle didn't give out. I'm really hoping the orthotics I have coming in 2-3 weeks will really help stabilize them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter