You know it's the End of Days when ... (another resale prices post)

Are these charges per night??

Per person per night. Charges listed above are before tax. To be clear, charges for extra adults do not apply to reservations made with points - which is why DVC rentals may be more attractive than "regular" cash bookings through Disney.

Per person per night. Charges listed above are before tax. To be clear, charges for extra adults do not apply to reservations made with points - which is why DVC rentals may be more attractive than "regular" cash bookings through Disney.

The main disadvantage of a DVC rental is the lack of flexibility. Once it's booked, it's yours regardless of what happens. However, the saving of booking a DVC reservation vs. a cash reservation has been enough for many to go the DVC route. I supposed with even more saving beginning next year, it's likely to push yet more people the same direction.

LAX

I supposed with even more saving beginning next year, it's likely to push yet more people the same direction.

Possibly, but DVD will certainly raise point prices as well, nudging up rental pricing accordingly. On the bright side, the 2018 TS dining plan (price going up too, obviously) credits will include an alcoholic drink to numb the pain a little.

Possibly, but DVD will certainly raise point prices as well, nudging up rental pricing accordingly. On the bright side, the 2018 TS dining plan (price going up too, obviously) credits will include an alcoholic drink to numb the pain a little.

You mean on new purchases? That has no effect on current owners, who might actually be tempted to try renting if the return is worth it (if haven't already). Or are you referring to raising point requirement?

LAX

You mean on new purchases? That has no effect on current owners, who might actually be tempted to try renting if the return is worth it (if haven't already). Or are you referring to raising point requirement?

LAX

The point requirement is set, it can only shift within the same resort. As we are seeing, the newer resorts are requiring more points per night than the older ones, but the older ones are set until their contracts end.
That comment was perhaps in reference to the fact that owners are more likely to add on direct points, at a new higher cost, than new owners are. They will most likely go the resale route instead.

:laughing:

But what I really want to know is can I get extras by using my under 21 Disney adults entitlements? They can drink water. :drinking1

LAX

I disagree completely. Higher direct per-point prices push up resale prices on popular properties, which will push up the premium per-point rental rate. Do you think there would be $130-140pp BCV contracts if direct pricing were $115pp? Of course not. And if that were the case, it'd be $12pp to rent those points instead of $17. It's all connected in the great circle of DVC.

saw a BLT today 50 points at $170 a point

Just crazy.

When you consider the $700 closing costs on a resale, if you actually paid $170 a point, you'd effectively be at $184 per point.
Direct is $185 per point + ~$2.40 per point in closing costs ($120), making the retail price $187.40.
But, with retail, you'd get 47 more points (50 versus 3) in the current year (at a value of $14 per point, and assuming you'd rent them out), making the retail purchase price $174.24
And, with retail, you'd be a blue card member, and be able to take advantages of the various perks that come and go with that.

Yes, definitely a crazy asking price.

Based off recent events I'd say anyone buying a larger contract Direct at this point should ask for multiple contracts of 50 or less points. if you ever have to sell it seems like you would make way more money.

Based off recent events I'd say anyone buying a larger contract Direct at this point should ask for multiple contracts of 50 or less points. if you ever have to sell it seems like you would make way more money.

Hm... you've got me rethinking my second resort strategy, if resale prices don't get a little more sensible soon! Luckily we aren't in a huge hurry since we've got 2018 planned with the points we already own.

You still have to buy closing costs on the small direct purchases, not as much as a resale contract, but it would add up depending on how many you plan on buying.

On a 50 point contact we just bought the closing costs were around $145, so for say 3-50 point (150point total) contracts it would be around $450-$500. Not a deal breaker, especially if you have to get out fast, but something to consider.

saw that as well... prices have really been climbing overall, but wow, only a $15 dollar per point difference and this is before closing cost extras... Amazing.

After the higher closing costs, it comes out to $179 per point, compared to about $188 per point after closing direct.
Also, that contract has only 3 points in 2017, vs. 50 for the direct contract.

This person listing this cannot possibly expect to sell at that price.

I am beginning to wonder if there are people who don't know that you can buy direct at 50 points for most resorts. When we last toured DVC in 2011 they were very firm on the 160 point minimum purchase. Honestly, we probably would have bought on the spot if they'd told us we could buy a small contract. We just didn't have the cash for more, were pretty sure we didn't need that many points, and weren't willing to finance.

I suppose if I didn't know there was an option and thought my only way to get 50 points was to pay a little more per point......hmmmm

However, the internet is a wonderful thing (sometimes) and I can't imagine doing enough research to find out about resale but not knowing what you can get small contracts from DVC direct, even if they don't offer up that info.

I am beginning to wonder if there are people who don't know that you can buy direct at 50 points for most resorts. When we last toured DVC in 2011 they were very firm on the 160 point minimum purchase. Honestly, we probably would have bought on the spot if they'd told us we could buy a small contract. We just didn't have the cash for more, were pretty sure we didn't need that many points, and weren't willing to finance.

I'd be willing to bet a vast majority of people don't know. They certainly don't tell you on the DVC tour or if you meet with DVC on a cruise. They keep hammering that the minimum is 160 for a purchase. They definitely don't mention you can purchase other resorts.

Quote from another thread:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I booked a room only reservation for January this morning and found out that the extra adult fee for a third or fourth adult (18 and older) at Disney resort rooms (does not apply to villas or suites) is increasing for 2018.

Value resorts - $15 (was $10)
Moderate resorts - $25 (was $15)
Deluxe resorts - $35 (was $25)

Not a new charge, but they just increased it at every level (value, moderate, deluxe) resort at WDW. Plus there is no hotel tax on a DVC stay.

DVC is looking better and better.

I thought you were talking about resort fees for DVC rooms -- you scared me!

I disagree completely. Higher direct per-point prices push up resale prices on popular properties, which will push up the premium per-point rental rate. Do you think there would be $130-140pp BCV contracts if direct pricing were $115pp? Of course not. And if that were the case, it'd be $12pp to rent those points instead of $17. It's all connected in the great circle of DVC.

I think there is going to be a lag in trickling down effect of the "great circle of DVC." I agree the rental cost will eventually catch up with whatever additional fees Disney charges. With the additional adult fee beginning to take effect sometime next year, I doubt we will see a spike in rental cost soon after that. After all, there is a fine line that rental agencies don't want cross as setting a price too high will scare off lots of potential renters given some of the drawbacks.

LAX

I think there is going to be a lag in trickling down effect of the "great circle of DVC." I agree the rental cost will eventually catch up with whatever additional fees Disney charges. With the additional adult fee beginning to take effect sometime next year, I doubt we will see a spike in rental cost soon after that. After all, there is a fine line that rental agencies don't want cross as setting a price too high will scare off lots of potential renters given some of the drawbacks.

LAX

I think rental prices will be going up very soon. Disney has been offering crap for discounts and I think it's only going to get worse with all the new attractions coming. When you can stay in a DVC studio for less than a mod and sometimes the same as a value, there's not much to scare people off except the cancellation policy. Now add the fact that you can buy discounted tickets (not from Disney) and still get the dining plan..... I'd say there is room for rental rates to rise quite a bit.

Also seems like a lot of brokers are getting into the rental market as well, and I'm sure they will drive up the prices. Probably making that 11 month booking window a lot more important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!