Your approach?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I have enough banked dying points to make a reservation this use year. I want to stay in a location that is not my home resort but I am over 7 months away so I can not make a reservation yet. Do I make a reservation in my home resort now to assure I can stay somewhere or do I just take my chances and wait till the 7 month date and make a reservation for where I really want to stay?

I realize if I make a reservation now, I can't reuse those points where I want to stay without first canceling my original reservation... running the risk of losing what I really want while the first reservation is canceled.

So... what do you do? Bide your time and only try to make a reservation where you really want to go, or get something at your home resort and then move points around later?

All thoughts appreciated....

---Paul in Southern NJ

What is your travel dates?

We stayed at non-home resorts in the beginning (SSR and Beach Club) and we had no issues at the 7 month mark.

Reading on the other thread, it seems it wouldn't do you any good, b/c to book at 7 months, I think your points need to be available. Someone mentioned they upgraded and MS was sweating bullets b/c they were snatching the last of a particular room and had to cancel their current reservation to use the points on the new one.

You would be in that predicament if you booked your home resort.

Barring some extremely busy holiday time, I wouldn't think you would have an issue at ALL of the non-home resorts at the 7 month mark.

We want BLT in Oct 2012..so I'm going to hold out for that...I know that I should be able to get other resorts, so I'm not going to lock my points into AKL at 11 months.

As Lisa said it depends on where you want to stay, what size unit and when.

I don't believe you'll have a problem getting that reservation even if it takes a few extra minutes.

I was told by MS that if you tell them you are looking to change the reservation they are now able to go into the existing one, search for the new location, and then book it if it's available without having to back out, cancel and then try and get the room again. The important thing is to tell them you are looking to change the resort you are staying at for the reservation.

I don't believe you'll have a problem getting that reservation even if it takes a few extra minutes.

I was told by MS that if you tell them you are looking to change the reservation they are now able to go into the existing one, search for the new location, and then book it if it's available without having to back out, cancel and then try and get the room again. The important thing is to tell them you are looking to change the resort you are staying at for the reservation.

I had not heard of this..... Extremely helpful.

Thanks!

I just recently changed my May reservation from VWL to BLT. The CM that helped me just modified my existing reservation. He didn't have to go into the system and cancel the existing reservation first. It was a very easy process. I even had him break my BLT reservation into 2 segments so that I could add the DDP for part of the trip. My reservation number stayed the same.

We have been in late August in both 2008 and 2010 and have been able to reserve pretty much whatever we wanted in a 1BR. We did VWL and BCV in 2008, and BWV and AKV in 2010 (tho we cancelled a BCV 1BR to stay closer to our friends at BWV). Both of these trips were pretty much impromptu (for us) reserved at 3 months out in 2008 and 5 months out in 2010.

Of course, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't make a home resort ressie now and switch over at the 7 months mark.

BTW, we really enjoyed AKV in August. It might have been nice to have a car, given the distances, but transportation worked quite well for us. And the rooms were fantastic! We loved the extra bath in the 1BR. Our friends came over for a glass of wine before dinner and we entertained quite comfortably watching the animals right when they were being fed at ~4 pm. The space was fantastic, esp the palatial master bath. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter