Your fantasy 18th century Ball (The imaginary dream kingdom)

Would You Go To an 18th Century Style Ball?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if I could leave my kids at home

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes if I could bring my kids

• No if children are there

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes if it was styled modern

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No if it was styled modern

• Yes if it was styled 18th century

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No if it was styled 18th century

• Total voters

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
If you could go to that 18th century imaginary grand ball you see in movies (think Cinderella), books, or TV. What would you wear, eat, expect to see? How would get there (carriage or boat)? How would you be introduced? Would you dance or only observe? Would you stay late or go home early? If you have kids, would you take them with you or are they staying home? Would you wear an 18th century hairstyle? Would you prefer to wear modern dress clothes? Have fun with your responses. 🤣

On a side note, if Disney ever did an 18th century style fantasy ball would you attend assuming it was affordable?🤑

This strikes me as fantasy baseball for women (who don't like sports).

I can just hear the strategies now...

"Always, always, always use your first round pick on the dress. There are lots of good salons in any decent-sized kingdom, so hairstylists can wait until rounds 5-7. Depending upon the realm, you may want to reserve the venue with an early round selection or you may have to dance in a renovated library from a mid-tier estate of a lesser noble."

This strikes me as fantasy baseball for women (who don't like sports).

I can just hear the strategies now...

"Always, always, always use your first round pick on the dress. There are lots of good salons in any decent-sized kingdom, so hairstylists can wait until rounds 5-7. Depending upon the realm, you may want to reserve the venue with an early round selection or you may have to dance in a renovated library from a mid-tier estate of a lesser noble."

Thanks for the comment. While this thread is meant to be for pure fun, I was curious to see what kind of responses would appear.

There are balls/dances like this today still:

There are many more examples on the internet. Has anyone ever attended an 18th century reenactment ball before? Genuinely curious. 🏰:dance3:

Funny that this topic has come up. I received the DVD of The Slipper and the Rose for my birthday (one of my favorite movies of all time) and just watched it the other day. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a musical version of the Cinderella story with the music done by the Sherman brothers of Disney fame. The costumes for the ballroom scene are fabulous. I would love to go to that ball if I could wear one of those gowns!

Funny that this topic has come up. I received the DVD of The Slipper and the Rose for my birthday (one of my favorite movies of all time) and just watched it the other day. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a musical version of the Cinderella story with the music done by the Sherman brothers of Disney fame. The costumes for the ballroom scene are fabulous. I would love to go to that ball if I could wear one of those gowns!

Cool. Thanks for the response. I think Disney World could really do this either in Magic Kingdom itself or at one of the Deluxe resorts. Thoughts? 🤴👸👑

I deleted this comment because I realized all poll titles colors are the color white by default so my comment was redundant. Sorry. 🤦‍♂️🤣

Last edited:

Is this movie you were talking about? If so, it looks very interesting. I will have to see sometime in the future. The costumes are also very 18th century appropriate (which is rare nowadays in movies).

There are many more examples on the internet. Has anyone ever attended an 18th century reenactment ball before? Genuinely curious. 🏰:dance3:
I once looked into going to the ball at Versailles. But the costs for the event plus trip, accomodation and all the costumes, wigs and make up were getting out of hand ;-)

Is this movie you were talking about? If so, it looks very interesting. I will have to see sometime in the future. The costumes are also very 18th century appropriate (which is rare nowadays in movies).
Yes, that’s the one. It was released in 1976, so ”nowadays” may or may not apply, but being a period piece, it holds up very well.

Could we have dance lessons first? Asking for a friend.

Most balls actually do that either an hour before or even earlier in the week before the event in all seriousness. YouTube also has great examples of this as well. 🙂

I would only go to a Maskquerade Ball at this point in time. :teeth:

Understandable. 😄 18th century balls actually were masquerade half the time depending on the time of season and organizer. 🎭 Or they were more traditional like in Cinderella. :dance3:

I once looked into going to the ball at Versailles. But the costs for the event plus trip, accomodation and all the costumes, wigs and make up were getting out of hand ;-)

I can see that. That's why I was thinking Disney could pull something like this off. One ball made for families and another one for only adults. They could do it in their theme parks or in their hotels. After the Covid-19 crisis is over (I'm hoping for a valid vaccine within a year) Disney will be looking for events to do to recuperate lost revenue. This would do that. They have the infrastructure to design an authentic experience. The family ball could be more classic Disney and the adult ball more classic 18th century like most reenactment balls. Historical communities have lost revenue over the years due to the stagnant economy. If Disney worked with those communities in designing an 18th century ball that could help give them needed exposure. Disney could even make it a charity event. Disney's public relations could always be improved.

As far as costumes, wigs, and accessories, I think that just depends where you look. I have also seen people make their own costumes from book designs from The American Duchess and also do their own 18th century hairstyles on YouTube. So I think their may be ways to make that part less expensive and more affordable. It just takes some time and effort. But I totally agree with you that the ticket prices for the Grand Masked Ball at the palace of Versailles are priced exorbitantly. That's why Disney may be the answer to having a similar (but more affordable) experience.

I like how in all of these period movies and shows there's this grand ball and everyone knows how to dance every dance perfectly. Did they really put in that much time learning and perfecting all the new steps? Because that's a lot of work. But I guess they were all nobility so they had a lot of time on their hands....

I can see that. That's why I was thinking Disney could pull something like this off. One ball made for families and another one for only adults. They could do it in their theme parks or in their hotels. After the Covid-19 crisis is over (I'm hoping for a valid vaccine within a year) Disney will be looking for events to do to recuperate lost revenue. This would do that. They have the infrastructure to design an authentic experience. The family ball could be more classic Disney and the adult ball more classic 18th century like most reenactment balls. Historical communities have lost revenue over the years due to the stagnant economy. If Disney worked with those communities in designing an 18th century ball that could help give them needed exposure. Disney could even make it a charity event. Disney's public relations could always be improved.

As far as costumes, wigs, and accessories, I think that just depends where you look. I have also seen people make their own costumes from book designs from The American Duchess and also do their own 18th century hairstyles on YouTube. So I think their may be ways to make that part less expensive and more affordable. It just takes some time and effort. But I totally agree with you that the ticket prices for the Grand Masked Ball at the palace of Versailles are priced exorbitantly. That's why Disney may be the answer to having a similar (but more affordable) experience.
I have a secret wish that if I have the money to do the super expensive wedding after closing in the Magic Kingdom, I would try to move heaven and earth to have the reception/ball in the Be Our Guest restaurant. If you remove all the chairs and tables, you have a ballroom again :)

I like how in all of these period movies and shows there's this grand ball and everyone knows how to dance every dance perfectly. Did they really put in that much time learning and perfecting all the new steps? Because that's a lot of work. But I guess they were all nobility so they had a lot of time on their hands....
What no tv and internet can do for you ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter