Your favorite resort for a non-parks trip?

VWL for the activities there as well as those at Fort Wilderness. FW is connected by bike/walking and nature trails or is a quick bus ride away. In addition to the pools at VWL, you can rent bikes or boats to take out on Bay Lake. At FW, additional activities include canoeing, horseback riding and the evening campfire program.

We stayed at AKL in 2011 non parks....just BB and DTD....had a great time. We own a BLT and that is a great spot.....
The BLT/CR is a great complex.....lake front, water rentals....3 pools...great restaurants....plus you can take a boat or monorail to Poly, WL and GF....there is a lot to see and do...:thumbsup2

I'll second AKL. :thumbsup2 We did the same Sept 2012 ... just went to BB. Went to see monorail resorts (we were on a cupcake hunt;)), DTD, hung around the resort and watched the animals, went to the pool, etc. A GREAT time.

So glad to hear of these comments recommending AKV for a non-park visit. I booked AKV for Nov 23-5, ckng out wed (day b4 Thanksgiving).
This will be a VERY SPECIAL trip because I'm having a reunion with my best friend from childhood... We found each other on FBI and started messaging back and forth - and it's like no time has gone by even though we haven't seen each other since we were 15... And I'm 53 now! We haven't seen each other in almost 40 years!!!)

I had planned to do at least a day in the MK, since she's only been to WDW once almost a decade ago; but she said she's not interested in the parks, she just wants to relax and get to know each other again.

So here's my question to y'all: any suggestion on things to plan (special shows, experiences, things to do) to make this incredible reunion even more special for her?

So glad to hear of these comments recommending AKV for a non-park visit. I booked AKV for Nov 23-5, ckng out wed (day b4 Thanksgiving).
This will be a VERY SPECIAL trip because I'm having a reunion with my best friend from childhood... We found each other on FBI and started messaging back and forth - and it's like no time has gone by even though we haven't seen each other since we were 15... And I'm 53 now! We haven't seen each other in almost 40 years!!!)

I had planned to do at least a day in the MK, since she's only been to WDW once almost a decade ago; but she said she's not interested in the parks, she just wants to relax and get to know each other again.

So here's my question to y'all: any suggestion on things to plan (special shows, experiences, things to do) to make this incredible reunion even more special for her?

Good choice on AKV for a resort only stay! I've taken a few resort only stays, stayed at AKV every time and been very happy with my choice. There's a wide variety of resort activities, and if nothing else, there's nothing like watching the animals or just sitting in Sunset Lounge reading a book.

[/URL[URL=http://s115.photobucket.com/user/Simbasmom32/media/9%202006/DSCF0316.jpg.html]

Thank you for the feedback, Simba's Mom and Bakerworld! Any suggestions for special shows, experiences, thing-to-do???

We've really only done short non-park trips (1-3 nights) - one of my favorites was 2 nights attached to a cruise where we actually went and played mini golf at WinterSummerland, and spent time at DTD.

For us, non-park stays for just enjoying the resort are at AKV - preferably Kidani. We've done this a couple of times pre- or post-cruise, but usually just for a day or two so it didn't make sense to do much other than enjoy the resort. They have a nightly campfire/storytelling, cultural representatives that talk about the animals, some amazing events in the lounge, and animals galore. We always look for our name on the founding owner's tapestry - we never remember where it is so it takes us a while to find it! :rotfl2:

If we're doing off-site things, I tend to book either SSR or OKW - just for ease of getting on I4! They're beautiful resorts with just enough Disney feel to feel like you're there, and much more convenient to Universal/Sea World/Legoland than the ones on the other side of the property. For one day, though, the resort itself probably matters more than driving convenience! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter