YOUR Top 10 Terrific Tipz (for a Universal Newbie)??

Bagless is so much more important at Universal than at the Motherland.

This is very true. I always carry a small cross body bag at Disney and never have any issues. I even wore it on Mt. Everest no problems. However, at Universal, it seems like every other ride requires you to store all belongings in a locker, and they are very strict about the rules. It is a real pain.

I’d recommend:

1. Have a dedicated bag holder.

or

2. Get a small lanyard for phone/ tickets / cash and leave the rest behind.

This is what we did, and it worked really well for the most part. We stored all our belongings in one big locker at the front of the park. Then I had some of those waterproof lanyard cases they sell to put your phone in for snorkeling. The adults used those for our phones, cash, and tickets. Since these seal, there is no chance of anything flying out. Then when we went to ride, we just tucked the lanyard inside our shirt or sweatshirt to make sure it stayed put and couldn’t fly off our heads. This allowed us to keep our belongings with us. If they see a phone or wallet in your hand or sticking out of a pocket, they will direct you to the lockers. For the kids, I made them Universal lanyards similar to Disney ones. I used the ones with big Id badge part on the bottom. They stored their own cash and tickets in these. They also put them under their clothes when they went to ride to keep them from flying off. I made them leave their phones behind.

If neither of those are an option, expect to spend a lot of time taking things in and out of their tricky electronic lockers. I also suggest if you plan on using the lockers to read the article about them on the previously mentioned site.

Lots of good advice already mentioned. Apologies if I'm repeating!

• Best universal hotel? or favorite room? (stay onsite, or no? we love THEMING!)
IMO, onsite definitely. Also IMO, the theming at the Universal resorts isn't as robust as WDW ones. I think the best themed one is Cabana Bay with the retro/vintage feel, but I think your money is better spent at one of the deluxe resorts. Not only does it have express pass included, but the quick walks to the parks and water taxi beat the bus/long walks from Cabana Bay. We stayed for 3 nights at Royal Pacific a few weeks ago and loved everything about it. We also visited Portofino Bay and while Portofino is probably better themed with that Italian feel, we did like RPR better.

• Any sneaky tricks for avoiding lines for rides or meals?
This is where express pass will come into play. We used it quite a bit whenever we could. We didn't find the express pass line to move QUITE as fast as a fast pass line at Disney, but it was still faster than standy-by. We also felt Universal had some long pre-shows as well. Also for Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks, don't be deterred by a long line. There was an employee directing people to stations for ordering and an employee seating people. It moved very quickly and we did not have to wait to sit down.

• Any hard-to-score meal reservations I could try to snag?
From what I understand, there is no such thing at Universal. One of the nice parts about it!

• Any book or website I should check out in addition to Disboards?
I definitely recommend listening to the Dis Unplugged Podcast Universal Edition. Even the older episodes are still relevant and helpful.

• Any extras that you've paid for that were really worth it?
We didn't pay extra for anything. Only other advice I have is to take advantage of sending your purchases back to your resort if you stay onsite. We bought a wand at Ollivander's first thing and had it sent back to our resort. It was in our room after 12pm the next day. It's nice they deliver direct to your room rather than the gift shop like at Disney. Also, really check out City Walk. We had great meals at Red Oven and Antojito's and actually bought a few things at the Element and Billabong store which was unexpected. We don't normally do much shopping like that outside of souvenirs.

Also, the lockers require a credit card, so don’t expect to send your kids off to use one without you. I made that mistake last time. They wanted to ride Mummy, so I gave them my phone, told them to go ride it, and then to call me when they were done. Do you see my mistake? They weren’t allowed on with the phone and could not put it in the locker either because I didn’t give them my credit card. Grrr… Frustrating.

That is strange, unless things have changed recently, I've never had to provide a credit card to rent a locker at a location that requires no loose articles. You may need a credit card to retrieve your belonging if you took too long (although if your close the attendant will normally let you in for free).

It's not in English but here a video on how to use the free ride lockers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzZT_Pm-NGg

My one tip about the lockers is when you fill them, you can open and close the door until you press the button (remember to press the button). When you retrieve things from the lockers you can only get into it once. This happened to me last trip. While I was getting things out of the locker my fingers slipped and closed the door locking my contents inside with no direct way for me to get them. I had to get an attendant to get them out for me.

That is strange, unless things have changed recently, I've never had to provide a credit card to rent a locker at a location that requires no loose articles. You may need a credit card to retrieve your belonging if you took too long (although if your close the attendant will normally let you in for free).

It's not in English but here a video on how to use the free ride lockers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzZT_Pm-NGg

My one tip about the lockers is when you fill them, you can open and close the door until you press the button (remember to press the button). When you retrieve things from the lockers you can only get into it once. This happened to me last trip. While I was getting things out of the locker my fingers slipped and closed the door locking my contents inside with no direct way for me to get them. I had to get an attendant to get them out for me.

I guess I'm just remembering wrong. I just went and looked it up. Apparently there are two kinds of lockers, a prepay type and the free ride type that you can use for free for a designated time. The rides that require all articles be stored, have the free type. The kids were probably looking at the wrong lockers. Sorry for the confusion.

I believe there are lockers near the front that you can rent for the day and those require some form of payment like a credit card. The lockers where you store lose items at the rides are free for a designated period of time and that free period of time varies from ride to ride. The only caveat here is if you go beyond the free period of time - you DO have to remit payment to open the locker if you've gone longer than allowed under the free time. Didn't happen to us, but I do wonder how people pay to get the locker open when presumably bags and wallets are INSIDE the locker...

, but I do wonder how people pay to get the locker open when presumably bags and wallets are INSIDE the locker...

See, I think this was why I was thinking you put the credit card in first. I was thinking it was kind of like how a hotel does a hold on a card. That you put it in, but then they only charged you if you went over your time limit, but I guess I was just confused. Not sure how you pay if your money is inside, and it doesn't work this way.

If you can buy your tickets with an American Express card, do so. This give you access to the AE lounge in USF which has free water and snacks and chairs and air conditioning.

A AAA card also gets you discounts at various eating places, such as 10% at Fast Food Blvd. It also gets discounts for some merchandise at some places. Discounts at UOR are very weird and inconsistent, no set rule on AP, AE or AAA discounts. Just ask which apply at where you are.

Refillable drink bottles are available for about $10 each. They hold about a quart and refills are about $1. Special CokeFreestyle bottles and machines also are there. These are daily charges about $16 first day and $9 second day etc.. The refillable bottles can be used every day after you buy them.

It sounds like you really need to have a "bag strategy" at Universal. I've even hard that they're against having items zipped in pockets (I was thinking of getting some cargo shorts with zippered pockets for this purpose). Is that really true?

And for those of you who go bag-less - what's your strategy with drinks? I think one of those refillable mugs seems like a good idea, but I'd hate to have to get a locker at every ride just for a drink mug.

I have done WDW only, US/IOA only, and two split trips. I may not have a top ten planning tip but I will try.

1. Choose an onsite hotel if it is financially possible. The "free" Express Pass has a value of up to $90 per park day if you were to buy it and the hotel could be a beautiful, Deluxe resort that you cannot afford at Disney.

2. If you do number one, you will not need a seriously detailed plan. If Harry Potter is your priority you will need a Potter Plan. If staying onsite, choose a less busy time. The less busy times for Disney vs. Universal vary somewhat but not much. Halloween time can be nuts at Disney but tends to attract Horror fans at US. For the traditional Lenten activities, Disney relies on Spring Break, US/IOA relies on Mardi Gras. I have been during Mardi Gras and it is not that bad except for the special Mardi Gras concerts.

3. What are your priorities? If you are a roller coaster/thrill ride fan...travel very lightly. You cannot carry anything onto a roller coaster. Lockers are available free for the expected length of your standby ride. If you have the unlimited Express Pass, you can ride two or three times on one free locker rental.

4. The restaurants at the resorts and City Walk are very good to excellent. I have had no problem going to "Open Table" and getting a same day or few day notice reservation at Emeril's (both restaurants).

5. Wherever you stay, try to take a boat to somewhere. The boat drivers (once you are on board) are actually entertaining...like they used to be at WDW. I remember a late night boat ride in October where our pilot whipped a (well, you know) in front of the Hard Rock dock just to give us a memory.

6. If you are interested in Harry Potter, consider your location. If onsite, the early entry to US will make Diagon Alley very crowded first thing in the morning. We went during a slower time and found our wait times at anything Potter related at Diagon Alley to be quite manageable in the mornings but if going at a busy time, use your Early Entry and see Gringotts. Take the train to Hogsmeade as soon as IOA opens and tour IOA. Come Back to Diagon later. You will need Park to Park passes.

7. Minion Mayhem is really a fun ride for most ages. We were happy to have Express for this. You should ride this one your way to Diagon Alley if you have Express Pass.

8. Hotel choice is up to you. I have stayed at the three Deluxe hotels and have not been dissappointed. The new Cabana Bay sounds lovely but doesn't include Express. It it is slow and your priority is Harry Potter, this may work for you.

9. You do not have to plan as much if you are onsite.

10. If you are not onsite, check someone else's post. I reccommend staying onsite.

It sounds like you really need to have a "bag strategy" at Universal. I've even hard that they're against having items zipped in pockets (I was thinking of getting some cargo shorts with zippered pockets for this purpose). Is that really true?

And for those of you who go bag-less - what's your strategy with drinks? I think one of those refillable mugs seems like a good idea, but I'd hate to have to get a locker at every ride just for a drink mug.

Cargo shorts work as long as they are zipped shut and you don't have so much crammed into them that the ride restraints wont close.
For us I use cargo shorts, a small zipping lanyard around my neck that holds the admission, express pass etc, and if I absolutely MUST do a bag,I do a small waistpack with 3 prong clasp..They have always allowed me to use it ( except on Rip Ride Rocket).I have used the lockers and for most of the rides that require it , it is no huge deal( except when you get stuck behind a tourgroup of about 200 trying to use them).But for the Harry Potter stuff ( particularly Forbidden Journey ) it was a hassle .I now go bagless .As for drinks we just buy and share

See, I think this was why I was thinking you put the credit card in first. I was thinking it was kind of like how a hotel does a hold on a card. That you put it in, but then they only charged you if you went over your time limit, but I guess I was just confused. Not sure how you pay if your money is inside, and it doesn't work this way.

That would actually be a lot more convenient, so you wouldn't have to worry about going over. They use your finger print as the "key" to unlock your locker currently.

We were just there the week before Thanksgiving and the only ride where they actually looked down at our pockets and made us remove stuff from our pockets was on Rip Ride Rockit. Literally the only thing they let us keep in our pockets was our express passes. They even looked at our butts to make sure our wallets were out! For every other ride that has lockers, my DH kept his cell phone and wallet in his jeans pockets and I threw my cross-body bag in a locker. No issues. I did see someone trying to get a large backpack into a locker and it clearly was not fitting, so I do recommend to pack lightly or keep the larger bags in one of the paid lockers up front.

We were just there the week before Thanksgiving and the only ride where they actually looked down at our pockets and made us remove stuff from our pockets was on Rip Ride Rockit. Literally the only thing they let us keep in our pockets was our express passes. They even looked at our butts to make sure our wallets were out! For every other ride that has lockers, my DH kept his cell phone and wallet in his jeans pockets and I threw my cross-body bag in a locker. No issues. I did see someone trying to get a large backpack into a locker and it clearly was not fitting, so I do recommend to pack lightly or keep the larger bags in one of the paid lockers up front.

I wouldn't depend on it only being RRR.

I think it depends more on how strict the TM who is working is than anything, and also how obvious and secure the items are. Kind of like how one CM/TM may say a borderline kid is tall enough to ride and another will not let the child ride. Some of the TMs seemed fine with an attitude of, "It's your stuff. If it falls out and breaks; your loss." Others were much more vigilant because even if the stuff is in a pocket, it can still come out and injure other people, so liability issue for them.

It seemed to me more chance than anything how picky of a team member you got manning the line. They were actually stricter with us about the Mummy when we went than RRR. Same as you described, checking pockets and all. However, they never did that to us on RRR.

I felt pretty secure about the whole lanyard under the shirt thing. I knew the lanyard couldn't come off inside my clothes, and it had a complicated locking system that made it airtight, so force alone couldn't unzip anything. They could clearly see the bulge, but no one ever asked me to put it in a locker which they sometimes did with peoples' pockets. So that is my current strategy for next trip. At least until they tell me I can't.

Good to hear this. We'll be there this week with the same crowd level

Does anyone know what the crowd levels are expected to be this weekend? I don't have a Touring Plan subscription (membership?) and we will be there this Friday through Monday. My daughter and I have been to US/IoA plenty of times, but we're bringing along a newbie, and we want to make sure he has a great experience so I'm actually planning more for this short weekend trip than I have for a lot of others! :)

Didn't happen to us, but I do wonder how people pay to get the locker open when presumably bags and wallets are INSIDE the locker...

From everything I've heard, if you've only gone over by a few minutes the locker attendant will let you in for free. If you're way over, they may request payment once they let you into your locker.

From everything I've heard, if you've only gone over by a few minutes the locker attendant will let you in for free. If you're way over, they may request payment once they let you into your locker.

Yep that's correct......we never use the lockers as we don't carry anything, but friends have said exactly that.

Does anyone know if you still get soaked on the water rides in late december? I thought I read somewhere the Disney scaled down the water during the colder times, didn't know if Universal did as well.

Does anyone know if you still get soaked on the water rides in late december? I thought I read somewhere the Disney scaled down the water during the colder times, didn't know if Universal did as well.

can't speak for december but the darkside did scale down the water for their water rides when we rode them early january this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter