Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

A Tipsy Redemption Song

Queue the Bob Marley Music 🇯🇲

After two bad Disney meals and doggie drama coupled with this being the birthday of my Mother who had died last year I was in need of some serious dining and tipsy redemption. We knew we could take no dining chances and booked an ADR at someplace we knew would not disappoint: Jiko.

We sipped on some wine and prettied ourselves before ubering from Caribbean Beach to Animal Kingdom Lodge. We even stopped to take some photos along the way.

Any guesses who her favorite parent is?

We got to AKL in no time and requested our favorite Jiko server Onsy. We had him on our last trip and he was amazing and we needed all sorts of amazing right now.

To start with I got a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I didn’t jot down what it was but it was crisp though a little sweet for my liking.

Jason got a Castle beer which after being unimpressed by it he surmised it was likely the Miller Lite of Africa.

Onsy brought Casey some sort of ridiculous lion king light up juice concoction.

No idea what this was either but clearly she was a happy camper.

At this point I must have put my phone away and just enjoyed the dinner (and a few more glasses of wine) because the logic of my notes take a tipsy turn. :drinking1 Shocking I know!

While we contemplated our options Onsy brought us some sweet potato rolls and butter.

So how were they? “Butter was there xibacomon butter make rolls.” Which of course means the cinnamon butter made the rolls.

Jason decided to order the Lion King Price Fix Menu which for $65 came with three courses and an optional wide pairing (which or course he optioned). Or if you’re reading my notes “Jason kind king special with ref wins fight.”

Because of course Jason is a kind king and the ref said he won the fight.

To start he got (and we all shared) the Young Cedar Creek Clam Malata with new potatoes, pomegranate, and bone marrow.

No tipsy translation needed here because this was amazing. My notes say so themselves and while my tipsy self can’t spell she never lies. “Clams AH-MAZ-ING with rich marrow and spinach and pomegranate very good play on seafood and bacon.”

Out of sauvignon blanc I moved to “Guervtimwbr” to enjoy with this.

Can you name that wine?

For entrees “Me and c shade filet just as good as last time perfect Cooke potatoes big as good lacking a bit but still like”

So Casey and I shared the oak grilled filet and it was just amazing as the last time we had it. It was cooked perfect and the potatoes were big but lacking? Don’t know what they were lacking or why they were big since they were mashed, but tipsy notes never lie. Someone even got a chance to work on her knife skills.

To go with this I had a Cabernet from South Africa.

And how do I know this? Because my notes say “Get sa onset pick and for some cabalone as last time even better great depth of flavor” of course.

As part of the lion king meal Jason got the Bone-in Rib Eye with hibiscus, nettle, and fregula (couscous like pasta).

Beyond the clear fact that this is apparently supposed to entice you with blood stains and carnage all over the plate my tipsy notes added very little insight as they just say “Jason slightly over poked but god.” I’m pretty sure I did not over poke Jason as I only ever slightly poke him, so me and god are gonna say this was good.

We also ordered the most amazing mac and cheese known to man the Bobotie Macaroni and Cheese with Four Cheeses, Wagyu, Almonds, Raisins, and Cape Malay Curry.

We had something very similar on our last trip and it is quite simply one of the best things in Disney. And how do I know that? Because “Mac and chess better than lag time heesier and meet no elk but more bugs as* crunch and apricots slight sweet viney soaked toes add bright red win sauce add great richness still best ever” of course. Seriously though the bugs and toes aside this is rich and decadent and with tons of textures and flavors. While not a classic mac and cheese it is unequivocally the best I’ve ever eaten.

For dessert with his meal Jason got the Caramelized Orange and Chocolate Choux.

Or per my notes “Jason line long one. Depth of flavor hard fk get it all together but loose with great passion fruit and moose flavor.” Looking beyond all the pollen strewn on the plane, we'll call this great.

Intending to share Jason’s dessert Onsy clearly sensed we were a family in need of as much sweetness as we could get so he brought me a Congratulations moose and brownie.

He said this was for “for haunches such a somersault kid.” Casey is quite the little gymnast but I’m pretty sure this had something to do with having the worlds greatest dining kid with us.

Speaking of the saint that is my child Onsy brought her a art project cookie.

Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed. Jiko is always at the top of our Disney dining destinations and this visit continued their amazing trend. Jason even declared “come for steak but stay for Mac and. Geese.” Not only did we save $42.15 with our tables in wonderland card but 5 forky’s were unquestionably given.

We ubered back to Caribbean Beach from there and the last thing I have in my notes from the night…
Gymnastics

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, so we’ll just do another somersault and call it a night.

Up next some more not so magical hours

I am SO late, so so late, but I am enjoying this as always! Love catching up with the KAStoney crew and the cutest Disney dining kiddo there ever was.

We have done Frontera a few times and I really enjoyed their carnitas, but both times I had them they were not dry and I think that would definitely be a negative for me as well. I agree though that the black beans are great.

We finally visited Jiko (pre-baby) a few years ago.. and it was oustanding! I can't wait to go back. All of your wine options (gewurztraminer, maybe!?) sound fantastic.

I also must say- I did Kona with my mom last year and she had the same thoughts on the Loco Moco. Literally prob the worst thing we've ever had in Disney. I don't even think salt could've saved that.. yikes.

Glad you had an excellent tipsy evening with a great meal to redeem the first few not-so-great ones.

10 Forky's were most definitely given on this one as she's got her tipsy, Forky lovin' Mama down.
Amazing job, Casey! :thumbsup2 And a very Happy belated Mother's Day to you, Kari!

In other news I'm heading back to work part-time this week.
How'd it go this week? I've been going into work three mornings a week for just a few hours each, so it won't be completely shocking when I return, but it will be completely shocking to have other people in the building... whenever that happens. :rolleyes: Hope it went well and that you can relax this weekend with some... tipsy time ;)

Last night me and a few drinks binge-read several of these trip reports, and their still hilarious in the morning sober with a coffee---tipsynotes=so funny! I miss Disney World so stinking much, and these trip reports put me right back there. Thanks for posting them!

OP: still trying to decide if you are me from an alternate dimension! Though I recently left DC/NoVa and moved to the moved to the Midwest with my stay-at-home-dad husband and twin boys Casey's age, plus a third little one. Fingers crossed we'll all be eating and drinking our way through WDW on the Disney Dining Plus Plan (woohoo--no counter service) this August during my birthday week (fingers crossed/if they open, yada yada). Tables in Wonderland sounds like an awesome deal for when we aren't able to get free dining.

Last thought--not sure if you've ever done a disney cruise, but you'd love one. Palo and Remy are a must-dos for Disney foodies! :tigger:

Thought I'd procrastinate getting another update done and show you all what Casey made for me.

She knows you so well! :rotfl:

My kids got me a Disney scented candle that they literally ordered the Friday before Mother's Day so I should get it some time in July :sad2: I guess I shouldn't complain since they actually acknowledged Mother's Day this year.

Hope everyone continues to be safe and healthy.

You too! Good luck getting back to work! I've been working all along but this past week was my first week that I worked 36 hours, basically full-time. Before all this started I was working 48-60 hours/week so working only 24/week I felt like I was furloughed. In some ways, it it nice getting back. I've definitely gotten into some bad habits lately of watching hours and hours of Netflix and then at 4 o'clock starting on the Truly's :drinking1 At least the days I'm working I don't do any of that now. I get up at 4:30 am and then come home at 8 pm, shower, eat and crash.

Stay safe! :hug:

Kari, how is the sweet dog doing?
Thanks for asking. He's still hanging in there but having a really hard time getting around. But we are thankful to have more time with him.

Loving it and glad you guys had a good day! It's gotta be weird to switch back to work but at least you're going into it slowly. My oldest stepson went back 2 weeks ago not quite FT and its been so good for his mental health (and his wife's lol) and Steve started going back to some stores this week.
It was definitely weird to go back on Wednesday but fell back to some normal soon enough. Trick will be too not get pulled back in and continue to use these fancy new telework skills I've picked up on.

Well done, Casey!

Mama, enjoy your time at work ... with or without Forky and the wine!

Take care!
I do have a forky in my office but sadly no wine

Casey has such a great personality and sense of fun-clearly her mother's daughter! From your TR I'm guessing there's a smidgen of Jason in there too but it's mums we're celebrating so he will have to wait until June for dad's day praise :goodvibes
Oh there is much more than a smigen. She is all Jason, all day!!!! I often question if they got my egg mixed up with someone elses because there is very little of me in there. But good thing I like Jason

I went back to my part-time job at Hallmark for 9 hours on Saturday....trying to run a hallmark store curbside the day before Mother's Day is not ideal. People are like, "i need a card for my Mom," and I had to bring them a stack to look through. It was a lot of running in and out of the store.
That is crazy!!!!! Don't people know how to send an ecard? :P They still have those, right? Pretty sure I haven't sent one since 2005

I wish the governor would let us open for the small number of people who actually come through at a time. It's insane we are still closed when you can go to Home Depot or Target or the garden centers filled with people, for goodness sake!
That definitely makes sense. They didn't make stores close down here but we were also supposed to stay at home (still are until the end of the month). Could never figure out how those two things occurring at the same time made any sense.

In any case, I totally get what you mean about being with other people besides Casey and Jason. It was SO weird not to be with Rob and Jimmy all day long! And I realized how nice it's been to not have to go to work on the weekends (not that I even know what day it IS half the time anymore!)
Yeah I strangely felt like I was missing out on something not being here with them. While I wish we could get out more, so thankful for this time with them.

Congrats on going back part time (i think?) i would like to go back part time too, but not yet maybe june!
Yeah I won't officially start going back in until likely June too but a few of us had permission to start to get ready for everyone else to come back. Though they are being smart about it and stair stepping us in over what will likely be a few weeks.

Stay safe out there! Don't hug the first person you see!
You too!!!! Thankfully I managed the day without any hugs and all kinds of social distancing

I am SO late, so so late, but I am enjoying this as always! Love catching up with the KAStoney crew and the cutest Disney dining kiddo there ever was.
Hi stranger!!!!!!! It's so good to see you on here. I'm loving all your facebook posts of Sam. He is getting SO big!!!! Enjoy every moment of it

We finally visited Jiko (pre-baby) a few years ago.. and it was oustanding! I can't wait to go back. All of your wine options (gewurztraminer, maybe!?) sound fantastic.
It is definitely our favorite place on property. Amazing food, wine, and service all the way around.

I also must say- I did Kona with my mom last year and she had the same thoughts on the Loco Moco. Literally prob the worst thing we've ever had in Disney. I don't even think salt could've saved that.. yikes.
You may be the only other person I know who tried that monstrosity. And sad thing is it is still on the menu. Clearly our experiences were not unique so scratching my head on that one.

Oh my gosh, yes she sure does! That is hilarious! :laughing:

Happy belated Mother's Day!
Happy happy belated to you too!

Good job Casey! She captured Forky perfectly! He isn’t garbage!! :rotfl: ::yes::
He is definitely not. Heart my forky

Love your Mother's Day gift!
Me too!!!!

Love the Forky painting! Hope the first week going back to work/not telecommuting is going well!
Doing a mix of both for now. Just spent 2 days in this week and probably another 2 next week. Getting slowly reacclimated. Don't want to hurt myself trying to use this brain of mine again :earboy2:

Seriously, I will have the hardest time going back to work. I love the flexibility of working at home in my jammies. LOL!
You and me both!!!!! Our Agency is really embracing this telework thing there are just some things we can only do inside the building. Hoping to keep up some teleworking so I can spend more time with this crazy family of mine

Amazing job, Casey! :thumbsup2 And a very Happy belated Mother's Day to you, Kari!
Thanks Tracy!

How'd it go this week? I've been going into work three mornings a week for just a few hours each, so it won't be completely shocking when I return, but it will be completely shocking to have other people in the building... whenever that happens. :rolleyes: Hope it went well and that you can relax this weekend with some... tipsy time ;)
It went pretty well though it was way too easy to get sucked back into the abyss. I was supposed to just be in for a few hours. But it ended up being 8 one day. The hubby was not happy. But we are outside drinking some beer so all is good now

Last night me and a few drinks binge-read several of these trip reports, and their still hilarious in the morning sober with a coffee---tipsynotes=so funny! I miss Disney World so stinking much, and these trip reports put me right back there. Thanks for posting them!
Well I know I enjoy myself much more tipsy but I'm not bad after a cup of coffee either :P Thanks for reading along. I know I enjoy writing about our trips and love when others enjoy them too.

OP: still trying to decide if you are me from an alternate dimension! Though I recently left DC/NoVa and moved to the moved to the Midwest with my stay-at-home-dad husband and twin boys Casey's age, plus a third little one.
Sounds like we might be!!!! Where were you in the DMV? I'm a born and bred Fairfax County girl!

Fingers crossed we'll all be eating and drinking our way through WDW on the Disney Dining Plus Plan (woohoo--no counter service) this August during my birthday week (fingers crossed/if they open, yada yada). Tables in Wonderland sounds like an awesome deal for when we aren't able to get free dining.
I'll cross all my appendages for you too! And we may really be twins because I'm an August birthday girl too. Leo's rule!!! I have a potential August trip rolling around in my brain but we'll see. Gonna keep my eye on everything going on before we decide. If not we'll be back at the end of October.

Tables in Wonderland is definitely awesome. We've done one trip without it and it wasn't the same. Not sure if we are going to get annual passes again this year so we may be looking at another trip with out it :scared1:

Last thought--not sure if you've ever done a disney cruise, but you'd love one. Palo and Remy are a must-dos for Disney foodies! :tigger:
We have't but I'd love to one day. Jason and I did a cruise once pre-Casey - non-Disney though - and our bar tab was $800!!!! So we haven't tried since. Though we may spend that much on booze in Disney too. Easier bill to swallow when you don't get a bill at the end though.

My kids got me a Disney scented candle that they literally ordered the Friday before Mother's Day so I should get it some time in July :sad2: I guess I shouldn't complain since they actually acknowledged Mother's Day this year.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I got some Disney candles and wax melts too but Jason must have ordered them a while back. Been smelling all the Poly and Beach Club this week!

You too! Good luck getting back to work! I've been working all along but this past week was my first week that I worked 36 hours, basically full-time. Before all this started I was working 48-60 hours/week so working only 24/week I felt like I was furloughed. In some ways, it it nice getting back. I've definitely gotten into some bad habits lately of watching hours and hours of Netflix and then at 4 o'clock starting on the Truly's :drinking1 At least the days I'm working I don't do any of that now. I get up at 4:30 am and then come home at 8 pm, shower, eat and crash.
I'm in the same boat. I usually worked 50-60 hour weeks and while I've been doing about 40 a week from home doing it on my own schedule and when I want to has been so nice. And of course not having to do hair, make-up, wear heels, etc. It was good to get back and see a few folks but I'm ok with my pandemic schedule for just a little bit longer (says me and my wine that started flowing at 4 too) :drinking1

'
Stay safe! :hug:
You too 💕

Last edited:

A Rare Breakfast Classic

Thanks to everyone for indulging me with the last two real life updates. This post marks our last full Disney day and I gotta tell you thinking about ending this report makes me a little sad. As of right now we won’t set foot in our beloved WDW until 166 days from today (not that I’m counting). That's a full 15 months between trips which might as well be 15 years in my book. And while I promise not to drag this report out for 166 days I am gonna slow roll the end in hopes of keeping my last glimmer of Disney magic alive.

So apparently, we’d had more tipsy time then I’d accounted for the previous night because my notes for this day say “drunk j insist on pre park breakfast.” The next note says “out door by 7:15.” So I gather I’d made a pre-park opening ADR and am only now being reminded of that :confused3

Needing to document this momentous occasion we stopped for a quick Halloween in August photo shoot.

I recall we were the second in line but had to wait a solid 10 minutes while the lady in front of us needed to have a personal photo shoot holding 5 different buttons in every imaginable pose. I was not annoyed at all.

We did however still have our photo shoot where my little gymnast showed off her skills for the castle.

Clearly she gets all her talent from me.

Now onto that breakfast that my husband demanded and our ADR at The Plaza. This is one of our go-to MK lunch spots, but breakfast here was new to us.

Very uncharacteristically we just had some coffee with breakfast and went straight to the entrees. Jason ordered the Lobster Fried Green Tomato Benedict.

This is with Crispy-fried Green Tomatoes topped with Poached Eggs, Lobster, and Hollandaise Sauce. I was surprised by how much lobster this actually came with for $18 and it was quite tasty. The eggs were perfectly poached and the fried green tomato added some nice crunch and sweetness. Jason’s only complaint was that it was really messy to eat as there was no bread to hold everything together.

I am not a big breakfast fan and rarely eat it but some classic breakfast was calling me this early morning. And what do you know but The Plaza has something called the All-American Classic Breakfast Platter on their menu.

Casey and I split this tasty combination of Mickey Waffles, Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Biscuits, and Breakfast Potatoes. This was a TON of food and great for sharing. My favorites were the flaky biscuits and breakfast potatoes which were cooked with some bacon. The eggs needed a bit of salt and our Mickey waffles were a little dry, but all and all this delivered the classic breakfast I was jonesing for.

The Plaza certainly isn’t the best breakfast we’ve had on property, but it was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy some food without sacrificing park time. I’m still more of a lunch fan but this was a solid meal. Plus we saved $8.70 with our Tables in Wonderland Card. No real missteps with our meal, but nothing spectacular either, so we’ll go with a solid 3 forkys given.

We finished breakfast before the park officially opened and staying in the classic mood, made our way over to Fantasyland for a flight with Peter Pan. In line we ran into Caroline (@disneyAndi14 ) and Tracy (@Tracy161 ) which was a nice surprise.

We had plans to meet up with Caroline later but Tracy was kind enough to wait for us after Peter so we could say hello. We ended up taking a spin on haunted mansion together.

Hey @buzzrelly I found the camera this time.

And of course documenting this momentous DIS occasion afterwards.

I’ve followed Tracy’s reports for a while, and she sadly couldn't make our Epic girls trip in May, so it was wonderful to finally meet her in person.

We said our goodbyes to Tracy (though not for too long) and mourned our last day in the park.

Up next, more DIS friends, fun, and food!

As of right now we won’t set foot in our beloved WDW until 166 days from today (not that I’m counting)
I'm hoping that WDW is mostly back to normal by then. We have a trip planned for the last week of October and I really hope it happens.
The Plaza certainly isn’t the best breakfast we’ve had on property, but it was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy some food without sacrificing park time.
It is nice that they are now open for a real breakfast. The All American breakfast looks a bit like a Bounty platter, except with more food. :)

We did however still have our photo shoot where my little gymnast showed off her skills for the castle.

I love how empty the park looks here...I have yet to be in for a PPO ADR...because I can never plan far ahead enough to get them....but this would be a real selling point!!

We finished breakfast before the park officially opened and staying in the classic mood, made our way over to Fantasyland for a flight with Peter Pan. In line we ran into Caroline (@disneyAndi14 ) and Tracy (@Tracy161 ) which was a nice surprise.

This is awesome...Peter Pan is my fave and always has such a long line. What a fun HM DISmeet too!!

What, wait?!? When did the plaza start serving breakfast? Both those meals sound delicious 😋, but the fried green tomato & lobster Benedict are right up my alley!

DH and I had our first breakfast at The Plaza and loved it too - it was solid food and cheaper than The Crystal Palace!

I realized I have a question and YOU should be able to answer it for me!! We have 3 trips coming up (fingers crossed for the Aug one) and for the middle trip we'll do the DxDP but for the other 2 we're paying OOP and I thought about the TIW card since it includes the 20% on alcohol and we're fans of the alcohol!

BUT, what I wanted to know is the meals that we use our TIW card on, can I charge them to the room? We usually charge all extras to the room and then I pay that off with Disney GCs I've bought at Target with my 5% discount.

If what I understand about the TIW card, it's just a discount card and not a credit card or anything like that, right?? But I can't figure out if I can charge it to the room or if it has to go on a credit card?? I have a Disney Visa AND DVC but I think I like the TIW card since I get the 20% on all the places we would eat/drink at which would include our alcohols...did I mention that we do enjoy a beverage as well??!!

THANKS for your knowledge!!

I love this! My cousin is all grown up now, but all the way from age 5 through college, she would take pictures of these everywhere she went!! She has pics from some awesome places, but my favorite place she did a handstand was on a Harry Potter tour at Oxford University.

Sounds like a nice little breakfast at The Plaza!! I don't think I even realized that was a breakfast option. We do like lunches there though, especially when we get a table with a nice castle view!

That's so great you got to see Caroline and Tracy, unplanned even! I love seeing my DIS friends together :) and I am not at all jealous, nope!

I’m thinking we might do the Plaza for breakfast next trip since there’s a good chance Crystal Palace won’t have characters. Now I really want a Mickey Waffle...

And while I promise not to drag this report out for 166 days I am gonna slow roll the end in hopes of keeping my last glimmer of Disney magic alive.
Please feel free... we all need every tiny speck of pixie dust to hold us over right now :sad:

Impressive skills indeed! :thumbsup2

This is among my top favorite ride photos of all time:rotfl::thumbsup2

And of course documenting this momentous DIS occasion afterwards.
What I'd give for us all to be back there right now!!!

I’ve followed Tracy’s reports for a while, and she sadly couldn't make our Epic girls trip in May, so it was wonderful to finally meet her in person.
It was SO wonderful to meet you and your family, Kari! I remember toasting your birthday on an August trip of mine YEARS ago... and finally we got to meet in person - long overdue. Hoping for another opportunity someday soon! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!