• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zoo or Wild Animal Park?

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
Which one and why? We will be going on a Monday or Tuesday at the end of June. 1 of my trio uses a wheelchair for long distances and can transfer/walk when needed.

Thanks!

If you HAD to pick just one, I would pick the zoo. Both are full of hills, but I find the Wild Animal Parks hills to be far more steep and not necessarily well-paved. There were a few exhibits, such as the condors and tigers, that I skipped completely just because it was a hot day and I didn't have it in me to walk up those hills, and I am relatively young and fit. I'd imagine they would be difficult for someone in a wheelchair. Also, regular admission to the Wild Animal Park only includes one tram ride, so if the animals are sleeping or hiding during that tram ride, it's kind of your only opportunity to see them up close. I prefer the zoo where I can set my own pace and stop and really look at the exhibits that I like. The zoo also has a larger variety of animals. And, finally, the last benefit of the zoo over the WAP is that zoo parking is free, WAP parking is $9.00 ;)

I completely agree with the pp for all the same reasons.

Plus, the Zoo has the bus tour and Skyfari to get from one end to another, both of which can accommodate wheelchairs.

From the website:

"The San Diego Zoo provides special parking, rest rooms, and access to shows, tour buses, and exhibits for guests with disabilities. Please note there are steep grades in parts of the Zoo, and assistance is recommended for those with limited mobility. A free shuttle bus operates inside the Zoo for those with limited mobility.

The Zoo provides special assistance to its exhibits and attractions for those with limited mobility. Our bus tour offers space to store folding wheelchairs. Before boarding, it is recommended that you notify the bus attendant to reserve seats in the wheelchair area of the bus for other members of your party. Those guests in a non-folding wheelchair may leave it at the loading facility to be picked up at the end of the bus tour.

Guests with limited mobility may also enjoy spectacular views of the Zoo and surrounding Balboa Park from our Skyfari attraction. Those guests in folding wheelchairs may have their wheelchairs transported ahead by a gondola to be available upon their arrival at the opposite terminal. Those who have non-folding or electric wheelchairs may leave their wheelchair at the terminal and take a round trip.

Should guests need a ride to avoid steep grade areas, a shuttle service is available by asking a Zoo employee to call for one. In addition, for safety purposes it is not recommended for guests in wheelchairs to use the moving walkways. Again, shuttle assistance can transport disabled guests to their desired location.

All services and attractions are listed in the guide map if you have additional questions. If you need more information or assistance during your visit, please ask any available employee. He or she can contact someone to help you. If you have additional questions about visiting the Zoo that have not been answered, please contact us."

i have been to the wild animal park and the zoo. many may say there is no difference between the two, but i totally see a difference. wild animal park is soo much more personable! also they have this photo caravan where it takes you out into the the "safari" enclosure and you can get photos with the animals up close. there is a fee, but its soo worth it! the bird show is awesome. i have included the links for you to help you decided and for anybody else that wants to explore the sites!!

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/park/

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/

If you HAD to pick just one, I would pick the zoo. Both are full of hills, but I find the Wild Animal Parks hills to be far more steep and not necessarily well-paved. There were a few exhibits, such as the condors and tigers, that I skipped completely just because it was a hot day and I didn't have it in me to walk up those hills, and I am relatively young and fit. I'd imagine they would be difficult for someone in a wheelchair. Also, regular admission to the Wild Animal Park only includes one tram ride, so if the animals are sleeping or hiding during that tram ride, it's kind of your only opportunity to see them up close. I prefer the zoo where I can set my own pace and stop and really look at the exhibits that I like. The zoo also has a larger variety of animals. And, finally, the last benefit of the zoo over the WAP is that zoo parking is free, WAP parking is $9.00 ;)

I completely agree. Plus the WAP can be 10-20 degrees hotter than the zoo because it is inland, and will likely be 90-105 degrees at the time you are visiting.

I love the WAP, but prefer the zoo in general, and another bonus is that it's right in Balboa Park, so after the zoo, you can explore some museums and/or gardens in the area.

www.balboapark.org

My Mom uses a wheelchair, we are locals to the zoo/ wap area, and I would say the zoo.

It's a lot cooler out there and there is more to see and be able to avoid the hills. There are moving walkways that most chairs will fit on to get you up the hills, plus you are more likely to be able to spend the whole day there because there is a lot to see!

THe WAP is very cool, to see the animals in their natural state is unlike any zoo around, but in the middle of summer it's not so much fun!

Have a great time!

TB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter