1 day on Big Island

Ariel620

DIS Veteran
Hi there,

We will be staying at Aulani for 7 nights. We own DVC, but this is our first Aulani trip (and I don't think we will get back often or maybe ever).

So we want to do a day trip to the big island. We will fly there and fly back all in one day (sleep at Aulani every night). Does anyone have a tour that they recommend to do this? It would be even better if the tour meets us at the airport on big island and takes us around to the big island sites (Volcanoes National Park is a must), because we have a ton of southwest points, so we would rather if the flight is not included in the tour price, since we can book the island hopper flight for free on points. But if it is really only possible with the flight booked as part of the tour, we can always save our SW points for another time.

Just a heads up that the big island is, well BIG 😀 If you can fly into Hilo that would be your best bet as it is way closer to VNP. If you fly into Kona you will be driving 2 hours each way just to get to the park. I do not have a tour recommendation, but if you cannot find one then I would recommend renting a car and then buying the Shaka app specifically for VNP. it works off of your phone GPS and provides directions and little facts along the way. After the park then I would continue south to Punalu'u Beach (the black sand beach) and hopefully you will see some turtles. Be prepared you will be exhausted at the end of the day.

We're planning on doing the same during our trip. Fly out at 6AM and fly back at 8PM. The next day of the trip is planned to be a lazy resort day.

With my work, I can get decent discounts on rental cars so we're planning on getting a convertible for driving ourselves around the island.

Honestly I would fly over to Hilo, grab a rental car and go explore VNP on your own. Hike the Kilauea Iki, Have dinner at pineapples in town and head back.
I would second this, in fact, we did exactly this (minus dinner at Pineapple's) this past May. It was super easy to do. Also went to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach in addition to VNP. You could also probably stop in at the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Company outside of Hilo as well.

One other recommendation. Go to Wilson's by the Bay (it's across from Pineapple's) in Hilo for Shave Ice. It was the best we had last year. It's just a hole in the wall window, but don't let that discourage you!

Honestly I would fly over to Hilo, grab a rental car and go explore VNP on your own. Hike the Kilauea Iki, Have dinner at pineapples in town and head back.
This is what we're doing later this month! It'll be a long day lol, but we're flying via SW into Hilo, grabbing the rental car, planning on hitting Kens House of Pancakes for breakfast, then heading to Punaluʻu Beach. On the way back going through VNP. If there's time we'll explore Shipman Beach, Maku'u Point or Carlsmith Beach.

This is what we're doing later this month! It'll be a long day lol, but we're flying via SW into Hilo, grabbing the rental car, planning on hitting Kens House of Pancakes for breakfast, then heading to Punaluʻu Beach. On the way back going through VNP. If there's time we'll explore Shipman Beach, Maku'u Point or Carlsmith Beach.
This is looking into the Kilauea iki and down in the volcano…..it’s about a 3 hour hike. It’s amazing! Hikes this three times while I lived in Hawaii.

Attachments

• IMG_6248.jpeg
    IMG_6248.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 13
one of the most amazing flights I’ve ever been on was a small 6-8 seater puddle jumper from the Big Island to Maui. The view was breathtaking. Do not underestimate the charm of a small plane over a SWA jet. They are also quite cheap, especially if you won’t have luggage.

Hi there,

We will be staying at Aulani for 7 nights. We own DVC, but this is our first Aulani trip (and I don't think we will get back often or maybe ever).

So we want to do a day trip to the big island. We will fly there and fly back all in one day (sleep at Aulani every night). Does anyone have a tour that they recommend to do this? It would be even better if the tour meets us at the airport on big island and takes us around to the big island sites (Volcanoes National Park is a must), because we have a ton of southwest points, so we would rather if the flight is not included in the tour price, since we can book the island hopper flight for free on points. But if it is really only possible with the flight booked as part of the tour, we can always save our SW points for another time.
I would recommend looking at Polynesian Adventure Tours. I stayed on the Big Island in Kona and did a Circle Island tour with them years ago. The tour started on and returned to the Kona side, with stops along the way at various sites. There were people on the tour that had flown in and they were picked up at the airport at the beginning of the tour and dropped off at the airport at the end. Unfortunately, in the brief research I just did, it appears the tour no longer circles the entire island. Polynesian Adventure Tours now has one that starts in Kona, but ends at Hilo with VNP. Hawaii Tours has one that starts and ends in Hilo and shows you most of the sites on that side of the Big Island. If you were to put both of them together, that was the tour I had minus the visit to the gardens (Im still trying to get back to see them). As OP have said, the island is really big and there’s a lot to see. VNP is included with both tours, but you would need to decide if you wanted to see more things on the Kona or Hilo side.

Looking into doing this also. Grab a SW flight and head to the big island for the day but Im looking at landing in Kona vs Hilo.

one of the most amazing flights I’ve ever been on was a small 6-8 seater puddle jumper from the Big Island to Maui. The view was breathtaking. Do not underestimate the charm of a small plane over a SWA jet. They are also quite cheap, especially if you won’t have luggage.
Any recommendations for the puddle jumpers?

It would be a long day due to logistics. Depart 3 hours before flight time for traffic, check-in and security, time to collect car rental or find transportation, meals, and refueling the car. I would recommend doing it another trip so your not so anxious and feel rushed to see what you want to see in the limited amount of time.

We're at Aulani now and flying to Hilo Saturday morning. Our flight takes off at 6am, we'll probably leave the resort around 4:30am. We're not checking any bags, we'll literally have 2 purses and one back pack for the flight. Then we'll return to Hilo around 6:00pm for a 7:15pm departure. Yes, it'll be a crazy long day but we're not sure if we'll be back and there's some things we really want to see on that island. We had one day to "squeeze" it in so we are. I'll report back at the end of our trip how it went. I'm guessing we'll say we're glad we did it but would make more time to spend on that island the next time. More time is always better lol.

We're at Aulani now and flying to Hilo Saturday morning. Our flight takes off at 6am, we'll probably leave the resort around 4:30am. We're not checking any bags, we'll literally have 2 purses and one back pack for the flight. Then we'll return to Hilo around 6:00pm for a 7:15pm departure. Yes, it'll be a crazy long day but we're not sure if we'll be back and there's some things we really want to see on that island. We had one day to "squeeze" it in so we are. I'll report back at the end of our trip how it went. I'm guessing we'll say we're glad we did it but would make more time to spend on that island the next time. More time is always better lol.
Have fun! I'll appreciate hearing all about it when you are back! It's our first time to Aulani, and we will be spending almost the same amount of time on the big island as you, so I'd like to hear what you squeeze in/prioritize! Thanks! Enjoy!

If you are going, try the 2 Ladies Kitchen in Hilo for delicious strawberry mochi. Literally a giant strawberry mixed in with red bean.

Hi, catching up on this thread - I'm looking for the EXACT same thing (including the loads of SW points). Headed there with my 80 year old dad (for his B-day) but I'm concerned about a LONG day for him. When are your travel dates? I'm thinking about inquiring about a private tour that we can customize. If that doesn't pan out - really interested to hear what other tours people suggest. As far as renting the car and exploring on our own - I just want the 'pay the money and not have to think - just enjoy' type experience - going to do enough of that the rest of the trip. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter