1 Deluxe Trip OR 2 Value Trips? WWYD?

welovedis

Disneyland here we come!
I have been re-thinking our family's plans for our trip to WDW next January. We are booked at AKL & BWI (4 nights each hotel) concierge for the marathon next year. Now that DH & I have gotten down to the figuring we would spend about the same (give or take $500) if we took 2 trips but stayed at a value or even a mod with a great AP rate.

We have been to WDW 2Xs, first time stayed at CBR, 2nd time at ASMo. We liked CBR, ASMo was ok for the price--we got bored after staying there for 9 nights though. We wanted to try something different this time and had talked about really realxing & enjoying the deluxe hotels next time.

So any thoughts from those who have "been there, done that"?

What Would You Do??

I would hold out for the luxury, deluxe trip, but thats just me. I think it will be such a special, and different vacation than you have had before, and you'll be glad if you held out.

However, if you don't think you can wait that long...

Be careful!!!!

Twice now I have book trips with intentions of seeing how inexpensively we could do them. Well, as each discount (DC, Code, to AP) came out, our trip got more and more "deluxe!" Add a day here, up grade there. Oh well, it's only money!!

I would try the deluxes if I were you, but be careful it can be addicting and hazardous to your wallet! What if you booked two trips splitting each trip between a deluxe and a moderate?

Thanks for both of your thoughts! I think we will stick with what we have planned, but the idea of taking 2 trips is very tempting.

I had never thought about splitting between a mod & deluxe, but that is something to consider. Unfortunately we tend to stay for longer trips, 8-12 days each and the hotel costs are so high that we probably couldn't afford that much.

Right now my budget for the January trip (for 2 adults and 7 yo DS--including hotel, airfare, tixs-including an AP for the discount, meals, transfers & souveniers) is about $5000 or so, give or take about $500. This is for 8 nights in 2 deluxes at concierge level. That is--if I can get a great AP rate-lol! So Dh was saying for the same amount of money we could go once over the summer, buy PAPs for each of us and still spend the same as 1 trip next year. ACK-there I go, thinking about calling for some ressies again.

Help! Talk me out of this--lol!

We do take other vacations over the summer so I guess I shouldn't be too tempted but nothing compares to the magic of WDW!

:bounce:

We were faced with your exact situation. We picked one trip with all the trimmings. Our decission wasn't money based. We had a great trip in 1998 and planned to return ASAP. We went back in 2001 after having another child. That trip was so great we said, "LET GO EVERY YEAR!" So we went in 2002. Thing is, 2002 wasn't as special as 1998 and 2001. DH and I both think it's because annual trips for us don't make it as magically as going every couple or three years. We had planned to go March 2003 and March 2004 spliting between value and moderate resorts and having to watch every penny. But now we are going April 2004 and plan to split between moderate and deluxe with all the trimmings on tickets and meals. We like going for 10 - 11 days, so waiting is best for us. S

two or three value trips or two moderates over one deluxe UNLESS you are not planning on going back to WDW for quite some time. Then I would split the trip between the value and the AKL.

We were deluxe and moderate only family (over 25 trips to WDW - 8 since Feb 2000 - had a son born in Aug 99) and we are now staying at All-Stars. why? Cost savings on the room gives us more money to spend on other things like : Victoria and Albert's Chef's Table, Illumination cruise, watercraft rentals, etc.

We just got back from a 10 night stay at Music. We booked a comback rate for November for 14 nights. While pricing out this vacation I asked on other rates, this is what I found:

AKL would have cost us over $2750 for the 14 nights compared to the $728 we are spending at All-Stars. We plan on eating at Jiko and Boma so we will be able to take in the atmosphere of the AKL (our favorite resort - 3 stays since October 2001).

With all that said and re-reading your post:

Why not do two mixed trips - value and deluxe (save the deluxe for last). This way you get the best of both worlds.

For us we are opting for more and LONGER vacations at the value resorts unless we get super rates at the AKL.

Good luck with your decision.

:cool:

I would pick two trips over one in a deluxe. It is not like you spend a great deal of time at the resort. I have been to WDW 5 times this year. If I was arriving late I stayed off property the first night to save money.

I have had a great time getting to see the little details in the park that you miss when you only get to go once. For me it was great getting to go more often.

Thanks for your input everyone! We are still undecided about what to do but we are leaning towards one trip to the deluxes over the 2 trips right now. My decision is not only based on money, if it was then I would be staying at the value resorts. I guess we want to experience the atmosphere of the resorts more this trip so that is why I am leaning toward the deluxes.

Unfortunately my vacation budget has a certain limit and we usually spend about 10% of our income on our vacations (WDW & otherwise) throughout the year. Once I realized how much we spend I decided to put a cap on WDW spending at 5-6K of it and leave the rest for season passes to local amusement parks, trips to ball games and a 10 day vacation (not at WDW :( ) over this summer.

Since I put that limit of my vacation I thought that trying a deluxe might be a great way to go and booking concierge would be the *best of the best* IMO ( I hope). I guess I will find out firsthand when we get there. I'm glad I posted this though so I could hear other people's opinions and how they would do things given the opportunity.

Thanks again everyone!

I would keep the current plans. Sounds great to be staying at AKL and BW, both beatiful luxorious resorts. It would be the perfect time to take that relaxation trip since you are going to be in the marathon. The moderates are nice to stay in, but the deluxes are wonderful for restful peace. Indulge! Try the new!;)

Don't forget, if you buy AP's for everyone, you wouldn't have to buy park tickets for the second trip. That will save some money for a second trip. Where there is a will there is a way...just ask my husband. He thinks I should have been a lawyer because my arguments are so good about how we can "save" money by taking another trip to the World!

The APs would be the reason for us to return, really. I will be buying one for me either way so we can, hopefully, get an AP rate for our stay. Then DH & DS would be getting PH+ passes if we went for the one trip. If you decide to go twice though DH has said that we would have to all get PAPs since they love the water parks & DQ so much and would want to spend some time there since each trip would be 9 days.

So again, more to think about & ponder...oh bother!

LOL--I'm just happy to go either way right now, just grateful we can afford to take such nice vacations :)

If it were me, I would go for one trip at the Deluxes. Once you go Deluxe, it's hard to go back. For me anyway. I would rather have the extra amenities like a monorail or closeness to Epcot (YC/BC is my fave!) and full service restaurants on-site. If I absolutely had to steer away from the Deluxes, I could stay at Coronado Springs and be okay. I think. But, definitely not All Star. If it were my first or second visit, that would be a different story. But, as a frequent guest I like to luxuriate (is that word?) in the Deluxe resorts.

PamNC

I would definitely choose two trips over one. I guess where I stay isn't all that important to me, as long as I'm there!

I also vote for one trip staying at the Deluxes. We are foregoing a trip this year and saving our cash for a truly extravagant trip in 2004. I think the choice depends a lot on how you spend your time. Since we have been to WDW many times and seen the parks alot we spend a good deal of time just soaking up the atmosphere of our resort, pools, restaurants and maybe just buzz into a park for a ride or two, or a show. We have AP's so do not feel the need to hold back on going back and forth to a park. Your choice of resorts is very perfect for this kind of vacation ( our resort fav is BWI) and you will actually come home rested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter