10 Days at HRH - Day 1 - Arrival

P

pixie dust gal!

We are back from a 10 day stay at HRH. This was our 6th stay at HRH. It was DH, DS's 19 and 14, and our best friends with their DS age 14.

Our flight on SWA was wonderful, as always (love, love love SWA).
We rented a car from National and had EA choice or full size - the choices were not many other than mid-size cars. There was a little Rav4, and the Intrepid that we grabbed, but other than that - all mid size. Our price for the 10 days total was $232 - great price!!!!!!!!! When I checked the car out at the kiosk in the garage they had a sign up that said "gas $1.52" so inquired and the girl at the window stated if we would rather have them fill the car upon return that was the price "for that day" - I said great! When we returned the car with 3/4 of a tank they charged me $4.79 per gallon for the remaining 1/4 tank........ I had to argue my way through this as the attendant did not note our account at check-out (my fault too, I never looked at the agreement). Gas around Universal is only $1.32 per gallon.

We arrived around noon time and there was a line at check-in - waited about 20 minutes before we actually got to the front desk and another 10 minutes to check in. I am a Platinum Member and there are no separate line for Loew's Members at HRH like there is at RPH. Everyone asks about "upgrades" - I was able to upgrade to a suite (if available at time of ressie) and suites were available - however, we chose the club floor instead because it has more amenities to offer. We have always stayed in deluxe sized rooms or kids suites, normally. This was our second time on the club floor; and if the four of us return together again on our next visit, we will book the kids suite. It is too much for the 4 of us to be in one room - it really is like having 3 adults and 1 almost adult-size in the same room. They offered to put a roll-away bed in the room, but there wasn't much space to begin with. I wasn't that happy, but made do. I miss the extra room and would rather have the larger room/extra room than the amenities.

Our friends arrived 30 minutes after us and called us on the cell phone so we could meet them outside as they drove up the driveway. This was their first trip to HRH. It was so much fun to see their faces when they pulled up to the hotel. Seeing as we have been there so many times, staff remember us and we asked several of them to welcome our friends as they got out of their SUV. They all started clapping and yelled "welcome Smith family"! They got the biggest kick out of that! Our rooms were ready and our luggage arrived to our room about 5 minutes after we did. We had connecting rooms with our friends. We had rented a cabana for the 10 days, so the kids put their swimsuits on and they ran to the cabana to drop off their pool toys/games and into the pool. They know this hotel like they do their own home. It is so nice to have staff remember you and say, hello and welcome back AND remember your favorite drink! (I will talk about this later).

I unpacked quickly and dh invited our friends for a drink at the cabana. It was HOT, but cooler inside the cabana. The server came around and asked us if we would like a drink - we all ordered a frozen drink and she asked "would you like to double the size"? - we all nodded yes........ the bill came and it was $72 for 4 drinks........ double the size, but still.......... DH signed for it before I saw it and tipped $5 - $77 total!!!!! The drinks are more expensive when they are delivered to the cabana. For $77 I should have had a cabana boy massaging my feet! The drinks have gone up since our last visit!!!!!!! When I later saw the receipt - I gasped........ and almost killed DH. Our friends were shocked too - and, of course, DH said "it's vacation". I gave him the evil eye and said "here we go again; this is not monopoly money, you know" - this phrase followed us throughout our vacation from both DH and friends, always laughing and saying "Deb, it's just monopoly money".......... Needless to say, we only had the one drink and went up to shower for dinner.

DH, DF and DS's went down to the lounge at 5pm to see what there was to munch on. I joined them about an hour later. The lounge offers wine, beer, and soft beverages along with a selection of cheese, crudites, breads and a hot and cold appetizer. The line is VERY LONG at 5pm and the seating is quite limited. So get their on time just to have a family member save seats or wait until 6pm. I sampled the food every night but mostly just enjoyed a glass of wine with everyone during out stay. Tonight's menu was wings -and everyone seemed to enjoy them.

We made ressies at Motown and there was hardly anyone in the place - around 6pm. We saw some look-a-likes Michael Jackson and Diana Ross -took pictures with them. My DF and I sang to some Aretha, Marvin and Temptations out loud at our table - it was alot of fun. The kids just rolled their eyes and asked if they could be excused to go to the arcade:rolleyes: I was not very hungry and just ordered this Motown onion appetizer and another drink, friends ordered pulled pork and raved about it; everyone else had the typical kids fare.

It was pouring rain at this time and we stayed a bit longer till the rain let up. We then went to USF and went on Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, Jaws and MIB. I loved Shrek so much that we throughout the 10 days we saw it 5 times! That was all the time we had before it closed - it closed at 9pm.

The boys couldn't wait to get back to the room to see if the "goodies" had arrived. Fabulous milk and cookies and DH ordered freshly whipped cream and strawberries and a bottle of wine for us...... (what was he thinking???? we had the kids with us!) - so I got to indulge and not having to "thank him" for being so thoughtful;) LOL

Sweet Dreams ............

Tomorrow is USF.

Thanks for your Day 1 trip report!

Question: I'm also Loews Platinum; did you upgrade to Club Level prior to your trip? If so, what room did you have reserved and upgrade from?

JOC,

I believe I booked a pool view dlx and asked for the suite upgrade at the time of booking, back in November for our trip in July. Again, I would prefer to have had the dlx room, than to have been on the club floor. That being said, it did save us a ton of $$ just on the cabana rental alone - $400 plus breakfast - next time I may consider getting 2 rooms on the 7th floor or a kids suite.

Debbie

Can't wait to read more, great report! Your husband sounds like a great guy to go on vacation with - mine is the same way :D !

First of all, great trip report!!!! I can't wait to read the rest. I was wondering a couple of things:

#1- Motown-Did you really like this restaurant and do you recommend a reservation? I want to take my family here this week when we arrive and am wondering about this place. Also do they have a kid's menu? What is on it?

#2-I saw that you love Shrek. So do we. But on the boards we keep hearing about the spider part? I have someone in my party who is afraid of spiders and am wondering how bad it is. Do you feel them on your arms, legs???? Do they come at you?

#3-Did you eat at NBA City? What did you think if you did? Also, do they have kid's menus?

Thanks in advance!!!!

3 days until it's our turn at the Hulk!!!!!

Originally posted by pixie dust gal!
so I got to indulge and not having to "thank him" for being so thoughtful;) LOL

Love that!! Too funny.

Thanks for the report, I know what you mean about the room size. The last time we were at HRH we lucked out with a kidsuite with club privledges. The space is more important to me than the snacks.

Hi Spidey!
Let's see; Motown - I thought the food was good - not one person at the table said it was "OK", they actually said it was "Good" with a mouthful!:) As of 6:30 the place was still half empty so, if you are going early for dinner I wouldn't worry; however, if you are planning a later dinner, I was told by staff that it gets crowded. The do have a kids menu - pretty much typical kids fare - mac and cheese, hot dogs, chicken fingers, burgers. I think the price is about $6.

NBA City? I enjoyed it much more on our last 3 visits than I did this most recent one; it could have been the day I went, who knows? Everyone at the table said the food was just "OK" not great and this was a restaurant we went to twice on our last visit. They do have a kids menu - typcial fare - hot dogs, burgers, and pizza - the kids did like the pizza very much - no chicken fingers on the menu.

With regards to Shrek - it is 3D so with the glasses on the spider does kind of dangle in front of your for a few seconds (literally) and then they brush against your legs (for seconds). You could always have the person put their legs out in front of them so they are not tucked in and feel that sensation - ask to sit in the front row where you can either 1. stick your legs way out or 2. have the special seats where they don't offer the "extra" effects.

Tea Please, I am glad I am not the only one who would trade the amenties for a bigger room. IMVHO, I would rather drive to the super Wal-mart and grab breakfast items and rent a fridge. On all previous visits, I would buy a case of water $6 and breakfast items and snacks and we were all set.

Debbie:)

Pixie Dust Gal-

You are awesome. Thank you for the quick response.

We are so excited for this trip!!!

Thanks again!!!!

3 days until we get to ride the Hulk!!!

Thanks for the report. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time.

We've also done both the club level and a kidsuite, and I too prefrer a bigger room over bottled water any day. I'm not so sure the kids would agree with me on that though :D

We are headed down next week for our 1st stay at RPR and really enjoy the reports.

Thanks.

Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter