12 days, 2 resorts

melk

DIS Veteran
Just got back from our trip to WDW. We started out for the first 8 days at VWL, our home resort. It was our third time there and it did not disappoint. We had requested back in February a pool view. We got room 5519, a 1 bedroom lock-off. What a view!!! It was a corner room so the configuration was a bit different. In the living room we had three windows, plus the slider to the balcony. It had a wonderful view of the pool and bay lake. From the balcony we could even see the tippity tops of the MK fireworks. The bedroom had vaulted ceilings and an enclosed balcony. One side point, we checked in around 10:30 a.m., got lunch at Roaring Forks, went swimming and the room was ready around 2:45.

For the second part of our trip we moved over to OKW which we have been to once before. We had requested a room near the main pool. Again, we got a great room in building 11, 1123. We were kind of tucked away so we couldn't hear any buses and had a great golf course view. The kids loved the new slide and I was happy to see the pool was still pretty serene, considering the slide and all. We really wished we had more time at OKW, there was so much more that we would have liked to take advantage of.
Side point here; DH went over and check in around 9:15 and the room was ready.

New things we did this trip:
Blizzard Beach. We had never been and really liked it. But I can see you must get there early to take advantage of low crowds. Once it gets crowded it's kind of frustrating.

Soarin. Of course this is new for everyone but all I can say is wow! It's a wonderful attraction, get there early!

Member block party. Pretty good but really crowded. The kids couldn't really do all the games they wanted because of the long lines. Pins were cool, though!

Keys to the Kingdom tour. Used our DVC discount and this was the absolute highlight of the trip. The history that our guide (Rae) gave was fascinating and if you think you already know the attention to detail at Disney, think again. Take this tour and you will be amazed at the tiny details Disney has paid attention to. DH and I really really enjoyed this tour, especially having been to WDW so many times, it gave us a new appreciation for it.

All in all it was a wonderful trip, although it flew by (is it ever long enough??? ;) ). I was hesitant about August (I do not like the heat!) but the heat and humidity are manageable if you approach it right. We drank cases of water, had spray mister fans, and cool neck wraps. We always took a break midday for either a swim or time in the room. And although there were dark clouds somewhere every afternoon, it didn't always mean rain where we were. The first week was crowded, used fastpass a lot. Second week the crowds dramatically diminished.

Please, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

The keys to the Kingdom tour and Backstage magic tours are our favorites! We have done them several times, and each time they are slightly different.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

What size villa did you have at OKW? DH would love a great golf course view.

It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!

I agree that the Block Party Pins are cool!

Bobbi :flower:

Simba's mom,

It was a 1-bedroom but it was a lock-off so it could be a 2-bedroom if need be.

Last year we were in room 4730, a dedicated 2-bedroom which also had a nice golf course view. That building however is not near the main pool and we had a little walk to the quiet pool nearby.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I will have to try the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. Maybe when we go in November, it sounds interesting.

DS13 & I also just came back from two weeks at WDW - 8nights VWL and 6nights BCV
Time flew once again - no matter how long Im at WDW its never enough - just keep finding new things to do/see
Going next Aug too - 1 wk at WDW followed by a wk on the Disney Magic
Couldnt wait another yr so this wk I booked a wk back to WDW in March

So glad to hear you enjoyed another wonderful stay at VWL.
We were in 5519 last September and I agree -- what a view!! It has to be one of the nicest units in the place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter