• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

13 Year old gir declared brain dead has now officially died

Taxpayers of New Jersey. Nice, huh?

A complete waste. Think of the good that money could do for literally thousands of other living children. SMH.

I hope never to be in that position with my children, but I hope that I have the grace to let my child go if it comes to that.

Wonder how they're getting them to do this? Not like there really is any life left - no matter what they 'claim'!!

True, would be way harder to watch your child's body (she's not there anymore) than to accept death and deal with it. Let her go with dignity, instead of what has gone on for the last 5 years.

I went to stalk her FB page, and I typed in her first and last name. There is actually a fake FB account and the administrator calls the mom "MamaNails."

Against my better judgement, I looked. Such a shabby thing to do, people clearly do not have more meaningful things to do with their time.

Wonder how they're getting them to do this? Not like there really is any life left - no matter what they 'claim'!!

True, would be way harder to watch your child's body (she's not there anymore) than to accept death and deal with it. Let her go with dignity, instead of what has gone on for the last 5 years.

NJ State Medicaid. She qualifies and since she's "alive" they continue to pay.

I am not a medical professional and I have no idea whether Jahi is truly brain dead or if her brain is just extremely injured but has some extremely minimal function. I do remember though that there were posters with a medical background in this very thread talking about how a person who is truly brain dead will decompose even with intensive medical interventions. I remember people talking about her intestines "sloughing" and things like that and that her body would give out soon. I know that people in a persistent vegetative state, as opposed to being brain dead, can last a long time on life support but can someone who is truly, 100% brain dead with no brain function be kept from decomposition for so long?

My personal opinion is that Jahi's family should have let her go by now but I am sincerely curious about my above question. I also think Jahi McMath's case may be challenging what science thinks it knows about brain death.

Last edited:
I am not a medical professional and I have no idea whether Jahi is truly brain dead or if her brain is just extremely injured but has some extremely minimal function. I do remember though that there were posters with a medical background in this very thread talking about how a person who is truly brain dead will decompose even with intensive medical interventions. I remember people talking about her intestines "sloughing" and things like that and that her body would give out soon. I know that people in a persistent vegetative state, as opposed to being brain dead, can last a long time on life support but can someone who is truly, 100% brain dead with no brain function be kept from decomposition for so long?

My personal opinion is that Jahi's family should have let her go by now but I am sincerely curious about my above question. I also think Jahi McMath's case may be challenging what science thinks it knows about brain death.

Exactly! I wonder as well.

I'm surprised your former governor didn't try to stop the payments. Or maybe he did and was shot down.

No one can stop the payments without a change in the law. As long as they retain a "religious exception" to the general rule of brain death, this extraordinary burden will continue to be borne by the taxpayers of NJ. And, as soon as you try to get rid of the exception, you'd hear screaming all the way to California.

I think it's horrible that the state has to pay this burden. I have no issue with any person (stupidly in my opinion) keeping someone "alive" via this means indefinitely so long as THEY are paying for the care. But, foisting this off on others in these circumstances is just wrong.

I think it's horrible that the state has to pay this burden. I have no issue with any person (stupidly in my opinion) keeping someone "alive" via this means indefinitely so long as THEY are paying for the care.

See, I'm the opposite. My problem isn't the state paying for it (though, certainly not ideal), but rather allowing the government to fund the torture of a child who should have been let go years ago.

I don't want to sound callous to the family's pain, but by 2014, their pain became irrelevant. It is Jahi's pain and quality of life that matters. To keep her here, at this point, is simply cruelty.

See, I'm the opposite. My problem isn't the state paying for it (though, certainly not ideal), but rather allowing the government to fund the torture of a child who should have been let go years ago.

I don't want to sound callous to the family's pain, but by 2014, their pain became irrelevant. It is Jahi's pain and quality of life that matters. To keep her here, at this point, is simply cruelty.

Can't disagree with that either.

Exactly! I wonder as well.
If you go back and quote them directly, they will get a notification and perhaps try to answer you.

I am not one of those posters as I have no knowledge of, or experience with it, however, if you read the New Yorker article, two medical experts in neurology also say that the brain will liquefy without blood supply (and I believe other sources were quoted at the beginning of this thread), and in fact, Jahi's brain stem on a subsequent scan was indistiguishable. What perhaps had changed is that some ares of her cerebrum appeared to have a small amount of blood supply. (And this was not studied thoroughly; it was the opinion of a small group who may be biased.)

There were numerous references to what was originally observed on Jahi's testing, i.e. how her brain death was actually determined. Her brain scans showed a "white out", when it should've been dark, meaning no blood supply. Many other tests were performed by different medical experts, and results were overseen by a judge. So at that time, she was declared, without a doubt, brain dead.

Most people aren't going to go through the extreme motions of sustaining a legally dead body to find out years down the road that there may be a tiny bit of blood supply that recovered in the brain. Even if it is there, it doesn't change a lot. Jahi still has just about zero quality of life, as does the rest of her family. Even the hospital in NJ that took on her case discharged her with a diagnosis of "Brain Death" and said they feel she has no hope of recovery.

This is an intriguing medical/legal/ethical case that no doubt will be studied for years to come. We still don't have a final outcome, nor has the malpractice case yet come up. The family would like to go home to CA, but CA says No. Their stance hasn't changed.

The question that I have is why the hospital in NJ consented to putting a tracheostomy and feeding tube in when just about nobody else would touch the case, being that Jahi was declared legally dead? (And I understand the laws in NJ and NY.) Without the feeding tube, this probably would've ended long ago.

Thank goodness. The article said she had surgery in NJ. I wonder what that’s all about.[/QUOTE

I doubt she actually had surgery, I think her mom finally gave the con up before her court case would reveal the truth.

The FB page for her would have had it on there for her believers to wish her a successful surgery.

I'm with robinb. I don't believe there was a surgery. I think the family may have finally, thankfully, realized Jahi was never coming back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter