13 yo in MDE

BostonEd

I'd rather be skiing.
I have my son listed in my family list in MDE. He is now 13 years old. Should I have him set up his own account and link him?

If so, here's a possible complication: I have already purchased tickets for our upcoming trip, and have linked his to his name in my MDE. Is there a way for him to log on and then I assign the tickets to his new account?

Or are 13 year olds not allowed to sign up anyway, and therefore my question is moot? Thanks.

Your son can have his own account. We had to do an online chat with Disney last month about this. With their help, it was easy to transfer his ticket to his own MDE account and link him to both myself and my husband. It took us maybe 20 minutes online.

Thanks. The main reason I'm considering this is I'm wonder if photo pass ride pictures will more accurately link to us. His phone is mainly a toy right now, but it does have wifi and bluetooth. If he is also logged in to MDE, I wonder if that will increase the likelihood of ride photos coming to us OK (last year there were a couple glitches).

I don’t recall about the ride photos. Him having his own did help us in getting virtual queue as twice he was the one able to get it for our group. He also could help choose our genie plus selections, which he had fun doing. He also liked using the map feature and seeing the wait times on the app to figure out what we wanted to do.

If he is also logged in to MDE
Another option is to just have him log in to your MDE account. Multiple devices can be logged into the same account at the same time. You can all be trying for VQ, book G+, look at ride photos, etc.

For a 13-yr-old -- I would only set him up with his own MDE account if he's interested in having his own account and would be actively involved in using it.

We have had so much trouble after doing that. I have my DS in my MDE and he created his own and was linked. I swear every time we go to WDW there is an issue with it. Either the tickets are on the wrong account or the room is on the wrong account. Just have him sign into yours!!! I swear it’s not fun first day trying to rope drop and the MB not work for one of those reasons and have to go to guest services. Maybe I’m the dummy that just gets it mixed up, but don’t take the chance

Great idea on just logging in and leaving it at that. I can definitely see problems arising from creating a new account, as tinkerjo describes.

I started thinking maybe I would let him add his own account. He signed up on MDE with his name and birthday. I then started the process of adding him to my friends and family list. Remember: he is already in there for his ticket and planning. I got a warning message saying "Adding Guests more than once may cause delays at park entrances." So I stopped there.

@kmoehall is this what you had to work with? Did you already have a ticket in MDE for your son, and then tried to add his new account after the fact? Also, what number did you call? Or did you start with online chat first?

From what I can recall, he had an account as a 12 year old when he only used it on a 2022 visit to do the Star Wars activities at Hollywood Studios on the Play Disney app. I purchased our 2024 park tickets through Undercover Tourist and assigned the tickets to myself, my son and my husband on MDE as they were my friends and family. When my son turned 13 his ticket disappeared from my friends and family list, but it had been a long time and he couldn’t log into his account. We used the chat function in MDE and they helped us recover his account, could see his ticket and were able to merge him into my friends and family so I could see his ticket again. The person on the chat was so helpful and it was not a difficult process.
Long story, I hope it makes sense. I’m sure if you start a chat they can help you. Have your son nearby in case he needs to log in along with you.
Good luck!

Oh, thanks for responding! I was just about to provide an update: I linked to his new account through MDE. It looks like it worked: I can still see his ticket on my side, and he can see the ADRs I've made for the family. I think maybe Disney IT has been working on this process, as it went very smoothly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter