13 yr old in common ground

cwmcaa

Earning My Ears
I'm a somewhat over protective mom a little worried about sending my 13 yr old to Common Grounds. It seems like a lot of freedom since they can ck themselves in and out of the teen programs. How do you ever catch up with each other? Any suggestions from other parents who have experienced these concerns?

I also have a 10 yr. old. Can someone tell me how the pagers work? Once I feel comfortable with all the kid details it should be smooth sailing! We are leaving March 20, 2003 on the Wonder! Anyone else sailing with us?

I feel the same way! While never having done a Disney cruise, we've done others and our rule has been- you can go to the organized activities but we want to know what you're doing and if nothing is going on we don't want you just hanging out- that is when trouble happens! So, if they don't feel like doing the activity or just want to 'hang out' they come find us and we hang out or do something with them. We talk often during the day, and even stop by their activity ( to take some pics). They are really oK with this and love having their pics taken to remember the cruise with. The couselers just get used to seeing us. We heard horror stories back awhile about a RCCL cruise and the kids making out in the kids lounge...sorry, that's NOT why my kids are here! Of course it depends on the kids too...some need bigger walls if you know what I mean:). We have enough kids that we do the "pair rule" too, if we had a single I would get a 2-way for sure! -Gail

You both may find it a bit more difficult to keep tabs on your kids on the cruise...I am not saying this in a bad way, but a good way. If they meet friends which most kids do...they wind up wanting to be with them even when the organized activities are over. We really only saw our teens for dinner, something we insisted on. They would be in at a decent hour but we definately gave them more freedom then they would have at home, mainly because the ship is a contained area and I know they could not wonder away. We also insisted they never travel alone but only in groups. They would also check in with us with phone messages to our cabin. Our teens have pretty much grown up in Common Grouds since our first cruise was back in '98 and most recently 1/4/03. Our kids met others and would go to the movies with them, hang out in the pool, go to the arcade, etc.

There is not too much trouble that they can get into onboard, unless someone brings cigs or other contraband onboard with them and decides to share.....doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Basically, you have to know your children's maturity level. If you feel they can handle the freedom responsibly, fine....if not then keep a tighter rein.

MJ

I worry about that first year in Common Grounds too. We have a few years before that happens, but even this year, we are trying to decide what to do with our DDs (twins) who will turn 10 on the cruise. Right now we are leaning towards putting them in the 8-9 year old group (they will be 9 the day we board). After looking at the activities and observing some 12 year olds, I just don't think my daughters are mature enough to be with that group (and they don't mind being with younger kids--and they really won't be that much younger since they will just turn 10 while on the cruise).

But in 3 years----I just don't know what I am going to do! I don't like the idea of my DDs being the youngest in a group of 'teens'. There is a big difference between a 13 year old and a 17 year old.

But we will cross that bridge when we come to it. This year we have to decide on the 8-9 or the 10-12.....after this year, I will two years not to have to worry about it, they will definantly be in the 10-12 the next two years.

DJ

My daughter will be 13 when we cruise next week. She can't wait. Last cruise (2 years ago) we established the rule that she must check in with us every 2 hours. If she was late for a check in, she lost her ability to have free roaming. Never a problem. We did use walkie-talkies, but her check ins had to be in person. We really trusted her and the staff. They kids stay so busy, they woudl have to "make " the time to get into trouble. We trust her at home, so we trust her when we're away. She knows that a single violation of that trust wipes it all out. Relax- Enjoy!

There is a phone number for the common ground on the front of the teen navigator. You can call and ask to speak to your child or ask the cm to have your child join you. Also here are enough teens that they tend to group by age and maturity level. The first day go and visit with the CMs in the common ground while it is open to parents. I think it will help your comfort level. Also hanging out inside the common ground is a lot different than hanging out in general around the ship. There are always adult cms in the common ground when it is open. They have computers, and game and movies so there is always something going on even when there is no activity. Last year was our first cruise and as we knew no one we were were careful about where our dd was and going between on activity and the next. We had many checks ins and she had to let us know of any change in plans. We used the room voice mail and also a note pad with a magnet and attached pen on the inside of our door(like a grocery shopping list) plus face to face check ins. It worked well and as the week went on and we met her friends, restrictions became looser. One thing we like aout Disney it the whole diffrent atmosphere from some cruise lines where there are frewer families and more swinging singles and gambling and more drinking. You dont worry as much about kids wondering into the wrong people . Also the CMs are great at knowing so many people that we would go it to Parrots Cay or Lumiere for lunch and the CM might mention our daughter had just been there and what she had to eat! She always had to join us for dinner but she usually got dessert out of the way in a rush to join a teen activity but there were others in the dinning room in the "same boat"

We are facing this same situation for our next cruise. DD will turn 13 on 4/11 and we cruise on 4/27. She was in the 10-12 group our last 3 cruises and really enjoyed it. Last cruise she had more freedom but she had a friend along so she wasn't alone. I'm not sure what to do this time, let her do CG or stay in OL. I agree 17 and a newbie 13 is a big difference. Nasi

My DD was 13 during our first DCL cruise in 2000. She had a blast at Common Grounds and met quite a few kids. She hung out with kids near her own age - the 13 and 14 year olds.

During our 2002 cruise she was 15 and hung out with kids in the 15-17 year old age range. ( Going to Common Grounds and making new friends was what she looked forward to most for our second cruise. ) Again she had a wonderful time.

We did allow her lots of freedom during the second cruise, including staying out until after midnight. I think the level of feedom permitted depends on the teenager though - my DD is a level headed teen and we do trust her to make good decisions.

I guess the main point I am trying to make is that most likely your teen will seek out and spend time with others of her own age.

We checked in often with our kids and they didn't mind a bit- other kids they met even wanted to hang out with them and us because they said their parents just dumped them in the kids clubs and even told the counselers they didn't want to see them again that night (really late!) It was sooo sad! They all thought it was cool to have parents who wanted to see and even do things with their kids!

You guys are right when you say there is a big difference between 13 and 17. All of the ideas and suggestions are wonderful. I'll plan on using the phone for messages, dropping in for 'pictures', using a magnetic notebook on the inside door, and a 2 way radio(he'll probably loose this though). Keep them coming...the more I get this figured out a head of time, the more fun I will end up having.

Is there a way to get a hold of an itinerary for common grounds prior to boarding? What did your kids use to keep their room key? I know a fanny pack is not going to give my 13 yr. old the image he's looking for...lol.

Thanks everyone! We're counting down to March 20, 2003!

I think you're right Diz-Me, he probably will hang out with the 13-15 yr olds. I've read that they do separate the 13-15 yr olds and the 16-17 yr. olds at times, too.

And GMS, I never thought about the kids that felt 'dumped' off at the Common Grounds...that puts another perspective on it. That is sad.

I'm not sure how receptive my son will be about us hangin' around with him...I think he'll really be into the independent mode which is fine but ya gotta have those limits.

Nasi, my DD will be 12 on April 11! We won't be able to cruise again until some time after her 13th birthday, so looking forward to hearing how things go on your cruise. Diana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter