• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$159.95 Minivan!

Nik's Mom

DIS Veteran
We were able to rent a minivan from National for 7 days using the old DC discount. We will have 2 adults, 5 children (2 in car seats), 2 umbrella strollers and luggage. Do you think we will fit? Has anyone tried tying luggage to the roof rack?

I don't think you can count on having a roof rack...the minivan we rented from National in December didn't have one.

That's a fantastic rate!!!! It might be a tight fit but, if you put some of the luggage under feet & around the pasenger area you should be okay. Also, when at the counter thaty will often offer you an option to go for a van with a larger cargo area (i think it is about $8 a day more).

What a great rate! Just wanted to comment on fitting everyone/everything in the minivan. I would say it should be fine... just a very tight ride from the airport to the hotel and back. You will be leaving the luggage there and only traveling with people, carseats and strollers on a daily basis. With the luggage to the hotel you may have to have some people hold some, sit tight next to some, under feet, jammed between the quad seats, etc - LOL! I would suggest the two car seats the back seat - one on each side. Then the smallest other child between them and the other two in the quads. OR one carseat in back with two other kids and one a quad and one other kid in quad seats.

OK... how do I know.... in October we rented a mini-van with three adults (all larger size) and three kids in carseats. We also had a LARGE triplet stroller (darn thing doesn't fold down hardly at all and takes up a TON of room - almost all of the space behind the back seat). And for luggage (WE WENT TEN DAYS).... we had three LARGE suitcases, two small ones and 6 carryones plus a video case.

There were not luggage racks on top and they also informed me that even if there were luggage racks that we could not use for liability reasons.

I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you have any other questions about the minivan and fitting... we also own two minivans and have tried lots of configurations (can't drive anything else with triplets!).

Julie P.

Nik's Mom-I read your post...had the DC Code and just booked my mini-van for my week in late June..got the same rate..with taxes etc. $205.00...not bad....now these are some of the things I'll miss with the Disney Club!
Thanks again & Have a great trip!!!;)

Thanks for all of the tips. Julie P., what kind of minivan did you rent? Did anything fit under the seats, like a small carryon? I've never been in a minivan (although I would love to own a Chrysler Town and Country), so I have no idea what they look like inside. Thanks for the reassurance. We feel a lot better.
Thanks again, everyone!

Sherri

Nik's Mom: We rented a Dodge Grand Caravan. The difference between grand and regular caravan is the length of space behind the back seat. If given a choice, take the grand. We actually rented from Dollar (best rate at the time) and they only provided grand caravans so maybe that is standard. We own a Dodge grand caravan and also Cheve Venture. For space I prefer the Dodge... the venture seems to have less behind the back seat, but is a little wider I believe.

There is no space under the seats.... at least the bucket ones. The back bench - maybe the umbrella strollers could go under at least partially or snug up real close. If you get a minivan with quad seats (four buckets - two right behind the front driver and front passenger) you can use the space between them for luggage. We actually jammed a big suitcase in there (kinda resting on the seats and suspended). There is also some room between the seat and the doors that a smaller carry-on could slide down into after the door is shut.

Like I said, once your luggage is dropped off you'll be fine traveling around Orlando each day. Only the to and from airport will be "interesting." Don't overpack and know that you may be real crowded/tight during that short trip.

Enjoy.
Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter