1st camping trip to FW

mainecamper

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We are planning our first camping trip to FW in March and have lots of questions concerning the drive down from Maine. Does any one in the northeast have a favorite route? We have plenty of time to getdown there and really want to stay far away from the cities and congested hiways. We will be towing a fifth wheel with a Ford f350 diesel. Also, should I call to check on our reservations at the campground before we go down? Can I request a site at that time like I used to request a room at the resorts?
We (me and DH) will be coming with our DD and her fiance...she has never been to WDW and we can't wait to show her that it is not just for kids! I know I will be on alot as I have many questions and you folks seem like you have most of the answers or know where to get them!!! Nancy

Sorry I'm not able to help you with a route, but I call just to confirm our reservation and you can ask for a site, although they do not promise you will get it.
We are thinking about Maine this summer, a camping trip with a popup. Last time I was there was in 1970, dad, brother & I fished around Patton Maine, if I remember right.
Have a great trip.
Tom

We drive down from just north of Boston. We usually takeI-84 thru CT, then 684 down to the NJ Tnpk. It takes us about 22 hours. We used to drive straight thru, but this past trip in Decmeber we stopped and slept on the way down for a night and the same for the way back.

Have a great time at FW - it's the best campground anywhere

Hello from another Maine camper!! It sounds like we take the same route as welovemickey. We did take a longer route one year, it took us out further into Penn, than got back on 95 in Va. That kept us alot further from D.C. and it was a nice route, but took longer. I can look up the route # if you like. Once you get past D.C. it's a straight shot to Fla.
You might want to join AAA, as they will map out the whole route for you. If you pay an extra price they will cover the cost of towing the rv if neccesary also. We did that last year and did have to call them to get towed from a gas station in N.J.!! The starter went in our van.
You can request a loop, but they don't gaurantee you will get it.Once you get there they will give you the site number. Twice we have gone to the site, than found a different (empty)
site we liked better and they have let us switch. There is a phone at the restrooms you can use to call the front desk.
Have fun planning your trip.
camper

Thanks, I's like to know that route # if you have it. Also, how long did it take you and how many times did you stop...also, what kind of tolls should we be prepared for...I'm so used to our inexpensive traveling here in Maine, I know it will be a shock!!! We are towing a fifth wheel...you? This will be our first trip out of Maine...can't wait, but we are still a little nervous!! Hope to hear from you soon. Nancy

I found our old trip ticket from AAA. We took route 84 to Scranton, Pa. than rt 81 to Winchester,Pa. than rt 17 all the way back to I 95 in Fredricksburg, Va. I can't say for sure how long that route was but We drove all night and didn't get back to I95 til 11:00 the next morning. But it was a much nicer drive as far as seeing the countryside. It was also much hillier(is that a word?), but with your diesel truck that should be no problem!
We have a 24 ft travel trailer. That is about the most we could haul with our full size van.
I will have to get back to you about the tolls. It is alot, as some tolls are doubled with camper.

Hi,

We just made the trip in December and followed the AAA Trip Tik.
I found some parts of it lacking in detail so I went to MSN maps and made more detailed maps of those parts that I thought could be a problem. It routes you around the big cities and away from tunnels because of LP gas tanks not being allowed. I also made a printed version of the directions ( I would be happy to email them if you like. MS Word). In a nutshell, they go like this... from Maine I95 to New Hampshire..... I95 to Mass...... I95 to I495 Mass.... I495 to I290 Mass.... (still heading west) I290 to I90 Mass.... I90 to I84 Mass.... I84 to I84 Conn..... I84 to I84 NY.... I84 to I684 NY..... I684 South to I287 NY (west)... I287 to I287/87 crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge (7.50 toll for 3 axles).... I287/87 to Exit 14a the NY State Thruway South.... NY State Thruway to the Garden State Parkway (same highway).... Garden state Parkway exit 129 to the NJ Turnpike (I95)... NJ turnpike to I295 NJ... I295 crosses the Delaware River to MD....I295 to I95 MD (SW)....I95 to I695 MD (Baltimore Beltway to avoid tunnels).... I695 to I95 MD (getting off the Beltwaw South).... I95 to I94/I495 Capitol Beltway around Washington DC (the western part is a more scenic drive).... getting off the Capitol Beltway gets you back on I95 south and it's pretty much a sraight shot from there to FL. After Jacksonville get on I4 which takes you through Orlando and to DW.

Good Luck and
Have fun

Hi we also had plenty of time so we took 91 to hartford ct then 84? to 81 through pa in to Va then 77 to 26 back to 95 then 4. We did 2 side trips 1 to HUnting Island SC and the other to Okefenokie? swamp in GA. There is Laura Walker state park. This is a beuatiful spot (bring ant spray though) and only abt 1 from the swamp. the boat tour was worth the price of admission. Hunting island was also another state park (have to look for the name) the beach had tons of shells we even saw a crab and 2 star fish and sand dollars. the only thing with this route is 77 is in the mountians and march may be trickey. If you want more info let me know my parents are full time rvers so they know lots of routes in and out of the northeast.
Christy

Thanks to all...you all pretty much went the same way we thought we would go...just want to stay FAR away from crowded , busy roads...we are very spoiled up here in Maine...traffic wise at least...say does anyone want some of our below zero weather this morning...quite refreshing...NOT!!! Come on March!!!:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter