• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st family trip to DLR Aug 24-31st Day 1

cndncruiz

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I wanted to start this by saying I was so thankful for this web site while in Disneyland because the information I received saved me alot of time and heartache.

This is a first timer's view with young children so I hope all of you that are going for the first time with young children find this trip report helpful.

Cast of character:
Me, 33; DH 33: DS 6 1/2 and DD 41/2

Sun. Aug 24
We woke up at 4:30 am as our flight left at 6:50 am. We stayed at the Fairmont in Vancouver airport. That was a great way to start as we only had to go down the stairs to check in for our flight.

Tip: For anyone who is leaving from the Vancouver Airport and you have to purchase your Airport Improvement Fee, wait until you check in and go past the airline desk. There is an AIF machine on the other side with no one in line or else you can purchase from the Airport staff on the US side. The line up in the airport for the AIF was HUGE.

When we pulled into the Seattle Airport, we pulled right up beside the "We are going to Disneyland" plane. However, we didn't get to go for a ride on that plane. The flights went well and my kids did real well for their first flight. It was fun as there were a whole bunch of kids going to Disneyland.

We flew into Orange Co. and the first thing we noticed was the heat. We had to wait 1/2 hour for the Airport Bus. We had pre purchased our transfers and that was very handy to not have to pay right away. I was really glad that we flew to John Wayne Airport in Orange County instead of LAX. It was very quick to get to our hotel. Taking the Airport bus was really a great and easy way.

Tip: The airport bus is just that... a bus. We weren't sure if we were getting on a shuttle or what. The driver was great because he was funny and great with the kids and even poked at us being Canadian. There was only our family and one other man on the bus. I would use that again.

We arrived at the Paradise Pier and we were pleased upon arrival. I knew that we probably wouldn't be able to check in because it was only 2 pm. I checked in and submitted my vouchers and we got our tickets and everything that we needed at the time. We weren't assigned a room because it wasn't ready yet. When you arrive early you can check your bags with with the Bell desk and they will give you a tag with a number on it and then you can redeem the bags when you return to check in. So at the desk we got our room information and our "personal itinerary" from Vacation Planning and our F! tickets. We checked our bags and we were off to the parks.

We had planned to go to White Water snacks in the GC to have a bite and get our refillable mug and then we were going to just check things out.

The first thing I noticed was "Is this the happiest place on earth?" I have never seen so MANY miserable people in my whole entire life. It seemed every one was angry and short and had no patience. However, it was hot and people were just so tired I guess. I am not referring to the cast members but rather the guests. N

White water snacks is great. You can get some good food there and a refillable mug. The man at the counter told me it was good in any restaurant in a Disneyland hotel. This is not the case, the refillable mug from White Water snacks is only to be used at the Grand Californian hotel. I tried to use it at the PPH and they wouldn't fill it. I called white water snacks to confirm and the cast member was very nice, said he had made a mistake and that I could get a refund if I wanted. The cup was 7.95 and we didn't return it because we decided we would still use it. Because my kids are younger, I bought two meals and we shared them. We still had waste.
We made quite a few more visits to the GC White Water snacks to refill our mug.

I had a schedule for our trip of what rides we wanted to do and what was happening on each day that I had made with the help of ride max, before I left home. It proved to be very useful and I would recommend it. Ride max doesn't provide an itinerary for Sundays so, we used this as our "getting aquainted day".

We then walked through DownTown Disney to start our "checking out Disneyland". The monorail "Downtown Disney" station is in DownTown Disney and it is close to the Disney hotels. So we thought we would ride that to check out the area and see where we wanted to go.

PROBLEM: YOu must get off at Tomorrow land if you board the monorail at DTD. It wasn't what we really wanted, we sort of wanted to check out all of the area. It was okay that we boarded the monorail in DTD because the cast members there explained how our park passes worked and some other useful information.

TIP: If you want to take a trip of DL to check it out, take the railroad. It was our favourite mode of transportation and you never had to wait very long and you can drive all around Disneyland. There are Rail stations in Mainstreet Disneyland, New Orleans Square, and Tomorrowland. It was perfect for us.

We arrived at Tomorrowland and saw Buzz and rides and walked through Disneyland and then checked in at 4:30 pm. We found out what room we were assigned and headed up to our room. Once we got to our room we called down to the bell desk and they sent up our bags.

I had pre arranged with Vacation Planning to have surprises for the kids in the room. A set of ears, an autograph book and a pen. When we got into our room.... Nothing. I was very, very disappointed.

I called to the main desk and they called Vacation Planning and then John called me in our room. I assumed (never assume) that they would keep the information handy and know who we were and when we were arriving. Especially since I had received a "Personal Itinerary" . I thought they would have record of us because of the emails and telephone calls, because I had confirmed things with them. But John wasn't sure of who I was or where the stuff was etc. I found him to be quite 'short' with me when explaining that "deliveries were not made between 4 & 5 pm and that they were very busy" See, in my mind, I thought because I contacted them one month prior, they will have the items ready, leave them at the hotel and have the hotel staff place them into our room after 3 pm. I knew there were no deliveries between 4 and 5 but check in time was 3 pm so that left from 3-4 pm for deliveries. It only got worse with Vacation Planning.

BUT... I want to say that John personally delivered the items for my kids. Another woman, not Valerie, called me and was apologetic. I almost cancelled the treats that were to be delivered to our room but I decided to keep them. I wasn't angry, just disappointed. But I was pleased with the personal itinerary from Vacation Planning and it was great to have them make our PS reservations and have them order our F! tickets but I would never get the treats through them again. I would just look after treats myself. It is considered room service and is looked after by the hotel. It is a very confusing story but the end result was I cancelled the treats after a few nights because I would speak to Vacation Planning one day and they would say the bill was looked after and charges were taken care of, then the hotel would say there were charges outstanding and that went back and forth at least once a day until Thursday. When on Wednesday we didn't receive anything in our room and the kids had gotten used to the treats, I cancelled the service because it was become too confusing and problematic.

Next time, I would ask Vacation Planning to do the planning services and not the treats. The people there are great and the concept is great but the treats were too much hassle for us.

So back to the fun... we spent that night at Toon Town. My husband and son went on the Go Gadgets roller coaster and my daughter and I checked out the houses and saw Mickey the first night in his house and we got his autograph. Toon Town was great for the kids, especially the bounce house. The only time they could ever bounce on the furniture and not get into trouble.

Then we ventured over to California Adventure and saw the Electric Parade and then up to our room. The PPH invites their guests up to the 3 rd floor where they pipe the fireworks music in and the pool bar is open on Fri, Sat and Sun nights to enjoy the fireworks.

The end of day one. Sorry it is so long.

Day 2 - Mon Aug 25

Me 33
DH 33
DS 61/2
DD 41/2

We started the day at Goofy's Kitchen. We had a PS for 8 am. Don't go to Goofy's kitchen without a PS.

Again, the happiest place on earth? It seemed as though people didn't plan or research their trip or the cost.

One woman, who I had seen in my hotel the day prior was complaining about the last time they were here and she couldn't get Goofy to her table. The next person was complaining about the price another was complaining about the wait. Good grief!

We had a PS for 8 am and didn't have to wait very long. There was alot of food. You could eat for days but can anyone ever have enough food to pay for the cost of a buffet anywhere? Not usually. I thought it was awesome. We were patient and waited and every character came to our table. We had a great breakfast and it was a great way to start our day.

More angry people inside the breakfast. This time they were mad at each other and standing in the middle of the restaurant. It was unreal how many miserable people there were. Be prepared for that because that isn't something I expected. I had read on this board about the people you see in DL getting mad at their kids saying, "I paid good money for this trip and you are going to enjoy it"

We spent the day in the Disneyland park and had a blast. With the help of ride max we never waited more then 15 min for a ride.

I had read that you could get strollers at the parks and you can but I do wish I had brought one for my daughter because the walk to the parks did end up being too much for my 4 1/2 year old. However, we worked around it.

The strollers in the park are great. $7 for the whole day. The staff write your family name on a card that gets inserted into the top flap of the stroller and that stroller belongs to you for the day. When you leave the park and go to CA, you must leave the stroller in the Disneyland Park and show your receipt and family card name in California Adventure and the cast members will give you a stroller in that park. No one ever took our stroller and we never had a problem getting one at any time of the day. Even on the long weekend, Saturday night, we still got a stroller without a problem.

We loved being able to see the Electric Parade from our room and having a theme park view from the PPH.

End of Day two.

California Adventure Park

I have read many negative reports on this park but we loved it. Maybe because our kids are younger but we thought it was great.

I loved Soarin over Ca.; Grizzly River Rapids and the Bug's Land. This was great for my 4 1/2 year old daughter. I think our favourite though was "It's Tough to be a bug" I never will be able to watch a 3 D movie again the same way. Nothing will ever compare to that.

This park is more relaxed, less people and a great break from Disneyland Park. We really liked it here. We loved the Hollywood Backlot. Loved the Playhouse Disney (our daughter was chosen to participate); loved Millionaire and the Muppet Show and I totally loved Aladdin. I thought all of these shows were fantastic. Waiting in line for Aladdin with younger ones in the heat was tough but it was worth it. We used the access from California Adventure for the PPH and GC alot and found it very easy to use. We like the fact that you could get into the park at 9:30 am and go right to Soarin California before all of the other attractions opened up.

End of day 3.

Day 4

Today we rode all of the other rides on our Ride Max schedule and added a few extra here and there. We saw so many characters and the kids got most of the autographs.

We decided that we wanted to arrive early for the 8 pm Parade of Stars and sat on main street and watched the crowds. We attempted to go through the Rivers of America but there were so many, many people that after my DH and son rode Splash Mountain we got out of that area and went and sat at a table to the left of the Castle and watch the Fireworks from there.

We really loved taking our time and waiting until crowds cleared then make our way back to our hotel. Our daughter was exhausted and fell asleep through the fireworks and had to carry her back to the PPH.

End of Day 4

Day 5.

I forgot to mention that on Wed. we had dinner at the ESPN Zone and there I purchased shuttle tickets for the Anaheim Angels game.

So on this day we went swimming in the Neverland pool and then got ready and went and sat and waited for the Anaheim Angels shuttle to come. This is a great deal for any of you who want to got to a game while visiting Disneyland.

The shuttle is $3 return per person.

The angels lost but it was great for all of us to take a break from the parks.

We ate at the Rain Forest Cafe this night. There was a 45 minute wait and we were able to walk right in.

TIP: Plan ahead, if you can make a PS reservation. Do it because it saves so much heartache.

I was not thrilled with this restaurant. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great to me. I felt as though it was rushed, that they needed to move us out and I can understand that as it was so busy but I think we were all tired and wanted to move a little slower. I wasn't thrilled over the menu or the decor. I think if I had gone to this restaurant some where else other then Disneyland I would have found it quite a bit better. However, we were there, we saw it etc.

We made this an early night and rested for our next day trip to Seaworld.

Day 6 Seaworld

The shuttle picked us up right at our hotel at about 8:40 am. The PPH was the last on the route. We then went to the main station where everyone exited the bus and we had to go into the terminal and show our voucher and get a ticket for the right attraction and go to the specific bus.

They had a concession outside of the bus stop where you could buy items at a decent price for the ride to San Diego.

Unfortunately my son got motion sickness, which doesn't usually happen but he was sitting at the back of the bus and well, he got sick. We got that under control and he had a small sleep and seemed alright for the rest of trip. There were some very nice people who offered to help me and my son.

Seaworld was alright. I loved the main attractions. The dolphin show was great and the Shamu show was really great. We were so hot after the Shamu show that we thought we would go back to the next dolphin show and my DS and DH decided they wanted to sick in the "soak rows" however they were asked to be volunteers for the show so they were able to touch the dolphins and beluga whale and feed the dolphins. It was unreal and just a great experience. However after we saw what we wanted to see, we were ready to go. So although I liked the convenience of being driven to Sea World, I think now that we have done it, I would drive to San Diego so that we could have the option to leave Seaworld when we were ready to do so.

Because we had been at Disneyland and were so impressed with how they keep people moving, I found Sea World to be very slow moving. Having to wait almost 30 min. in line for lunch and the lines moved very slow at the attractions also lunch cost 32.00 and that was buying meals and sharing them. Again, I did enjoy going but it just isn't as well done as Disneyland.

We got back quite late from Seaworld but what a beautiful drive. We saw hot air balloons and the sun was setting. It was really a beautiful drive.

That night my DH and DS went and used our ESPN Zone game cards and my DD and I went and built a bear, which was the highlight of her day.

End of Day 6

Day 7 Sat. Aug 30

On this day we had decided that my DH and DS would go together and my DD and I would go and do things together. So my daughter and I did everything that she wanted to do, including seconds or thirds and rides and my DH and DS did the same.

We saw all of the princess' and did all of the younger rides. This was our wedding anniversary so we had planned to do dinner at the Story Tellers cafe. It was the perfect place for us and I thank those that suggested it for us.

I had told my TA and she told the travel company that it was our anniversary. I had read that sometimes the hotel will do something special for you but we weren't so lucky. Oh well, it still was a great day.

Also we had F! tickets. Boy was I confused.
I never realized there were two locations for the F! tickets.

So in case anyone else is confused...

We had Vacation Planning make our reservations for Fantasmic for us. We said we would like to attend the dessert buffet for the Fantasmic Show.

Tickets were waiting for us at the hotel when we checked in. So we went early to the Disney Gallery to check in. There the cast member pointed it out to us there are 2 dessert buffets.

1. 47$/ person regardless of age and you sit on the balcony at the Disney Gallery. Less seats

2. 47$ for adults and 37$ for children. There are about 40 seats (chairs) lined up close to the water.

We were for option number two. I headed down there to find out what we needed to do and it was a good thing we did. I have read on this board that it is the order you buy your tickets in that you are seated. This was NOT the case for us. It was who ever checked in first got seated first. So we arrived at 8:10pm and checked in and we were the third from the last to be seated. The seats were still fine but I did feel a little panicky thinking after all of the research I have done how could I have messed this up. But it turned out fine.

What a night. Fantasmic was so awesome but being at the dessert buffet was so great. We didn't eat the desserts but the cast members were so nice and it was nice not to be pushed around by the crowd and to sit and enjoy the show and be able to stay for the fireworks after. It was the first time we saw Fantasmic and our last night in Disneyland. It was very touching to see the fireworks for the last time. The part where they say "I don't ever want to leave this magical place" it almost brought tears to my eyes.

A great ending to a great trip.

Sunday morning we ate at the PPH Minnie and friends and breakfast. The meal was alright but it was nice for the kids to have one final shot and seeing the characters before the long trip home.

Final thoughts:

1. Be happy when you are there. There can be stressful times but try to enjoy it because the time goes by fast.

2. Be nice to the cast members. Those poor people took more abuse then any one person should. Things may not go how you expect but they are just trying to do the job. That was the most noticeable thing for me. How rude people were to the staff there. I made sure I went and told people how much I enjoyed things.

3. Plan ahead, it will make your trip more enjoyable and you won't have extra stress because you weren't prepared financially or emotionally.

4. I personally would bring a stroller if I had a child who was younger who would be tired walking. You can bring an umbrella stroller and then check it at the stroller depot and switch it for a bigger one if you want. Your stroller most likely won't get taken (I am sure there is always the chance) but it is pretty well organized.

5. Get Ride Max, if you have never been to Disneyland. It is affordable and you can download it on to your computer. It lists all of the rides and gives you a great time table to guide you through your days.

We really liked to stay on site, we loved the convenience. We liked the PPH alot but would be interested in trying out the Disneyland hotel.

We had to take breaks in the middle of the afternoon and break rejuvinated us for the night ahead.

We brought water and soda with us, it was great because we cut down on the cost of water. Not to say we didn't purchase water but it minimized it.

Restaurants we ate at:

Goofy's Kitchen: Great way to start the day or trip. We give it an excellent rating

PCH Grill (PPH): We ate dinnerhere and the kids made their own pizza. We thought it was great but the breakfast food wasn't that great. We did like the final visit with the character for our kids before leaving Disneyland. I rate it as average

ESPN Zone: Loved it here. Great food, great atmosphere and a good sports break for my DH and DS who love sports.

Rainforest Cafe: So so... I didn't really care for it but my daughter loved the thunderstorms and the moving Gorilla. I wasn't overly thrilled with the food or atmosphere but I wasn't unhappy when I left just thought it was okay. I wouldn't go back.

Whitewater snacks: A great pop in place. We spent quite a bit of time here.

StoryTeller's cafe: A nice comfortable dinner place. Not too fancy and they have a good choice of meals for you and the kids.

We started the trip feeling like rookies and finished feeling like vets. It was a great experience. I don't think Disneyland was over prices, the food at the kiosks and restaurants on sites (Not the push carts) was all reasonable. We did alot of sharing in order not to waste food. I don't think the souvenirs were over priced. I thought it was all reasonable and I don't feel as though I wasted one single dollar on this trip. It was well worth all of it.

Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I hope this was beneficial to someone.

Sounds like you had a great trip. We wanted to take in an Angels game the last time we were there, but they were on the road. We're planning to go back the same time next year (first week of April) so hopefully they will open the season at home this time.

We also stayed at PPH and are planning to stay there again. I loved the private entrance to DCA. Very convenient. A lot of people seem to think that it is a long walk from DL, and it is if you go through DTD, but we took the shortcut through GC nearly every time and found it wasn't really that far.

I can relate to what you were saying about being able to come back from Seaworld when you were ready and not having to wait for the bus. We did a day at Universal last time and had the same problem. We weren't going to do Universal again next time, but My SO really wants to see Citywalk, and her DS18 will be going with us for his first Disney trip and really wants to see USH, so we will likely be going again. I've been looking into taking the train (Amtrak from Anaheim to Union Station/Metro from Union Station to Universal) and the price and travel time runs about the same as the bus, but with trains running all day it gives us the freedom to leave USH when we get ready.

Thanks for a great report :D

Grog,

Amtrak sounds like a great idea. When my kids are older I would like to go to Universal as well.

Thanks for you note.

Ride Max is a program that will put the rides in a time order for you so that you can follow a schedule and minimize wait times.

I am sorry that I don't know the web address but if you do a search for Ride Max it will come up.

It is a great tool, I am really happy that we used it as a guide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter