1st night strategy

cd&kids

DIS Veteran
We are checking into an off-site condo Sat April 27 for a week's stay. I figure by the time we unpack and grab a swim at the condo pool, it's not worth "wasting" one day's worth of our 6-day park hopper plus tix.
What do you think of this game plan....we have dinner at Beaches and Cream (burgers, shakes and sundaes!)...and then a stroll around the nearby boardwalk?
I've never been to the boardwalk area (only our family's second trip ever to WDW). Are there things to do (for free, God forbid??!!) Does that give us a little taste of what's to come? Or does someone have another idea to kill a few hours the first night without entering a park?
(By the way, "we" means a mom,dad, 13, 8 and 5-year-old kids!) Thanks!!!

That sounds great. The Boardwalk is fun for all ages. You can hit the shops and also check out the "street" performers. Have fun! :D

The Boardwalk would be a great place to start your stay. There is so much going on there. You will find live performers throughout the evening entertaining the crowds right on the boards and yes it's free. :) Plus there are great snack shops to get some ice cream or candy and do a little preview shopping.

Downtown Disney is another great spot to explore w/o entering a park. Lots of shops, restaurants, and things to do and see.

Something that I am considering for out first night is the campfire at Fort Wilderness. It has Chip and Dale and it's free. You can buy smore kits for around $5 according to info I've read on the board. I thought it would be a good way to let the kids see some characters w/out going into the parks and burning a day. I'm sure you will have fun no matter what you do! Have a great trip!

Just wanted to add that if the Electric Water Pagent is that night, you could catch it after the campfire. I hope this helps!

Our first night plan is much like yours. Beaches and Cream to eat...sometime at Stormalong Bay (DVC member so can pool hop) and then the rest of the evening wandering the Boardwalk. 10 days I can't wait. :bounce:

Our first night plan is much like yours. Beaches and Cream to eat...sometime at Stormalong Bay (DVC member so can pool hop) and then the rest of the evening wandering the Boardwalk. 10 days I can't wait. :bounce:

TandyR....congratulations...you're at the 10-day mark! We started our countdown the first weekend of January for our April 27th visit. Please let me know how your first night went...we are getting more and more excited about Beaches and Cream and the Boardwalk!!!

Leaving from Portland on the same date as you (return date is the same as well) Can't wait for the change in weather!!

I feel badly...I started this thread and now we're probably changing plans! I spoke with a Disney veteran that we know and although he said Beaches and Cream is very nice, it's very small apparently....more geared toward take-out. Our group includes our three kids (one as young as 5)...and my Florida aunt who's 90! For our first dinner, I'd rather not get 7 meals to go...and then have to find a bench to sit and eat. He said getting a table inside for 7 on a Saturday night in such a small place would be tough.
We've changed our game plan....dinner now at Whispering Canyon. We still don't waste a park-hopper day...we get to see a spectacular atmosphere...sit down to eat...and then we'll drive to Boardwalk for a stroll.
Hope this doesn't throw a monkey wrench into anyone's plans, but I was very grateful to hear about B&C.

cd&kids, Yeah a Disney vetran told me the same thing about Beaches & Cream and our group is just me and DH and our two girls so it isn't a big deal to us, but if I were in your shoes I would make the change you did also. Whispering Canyon has really great atmosphere....I _LOVE_ the Wilderness Lodge, but the food there was so-so in my view, but I could have been there on an off day...they were having trouble with their milkshake maker and they are well known for their milkshakes.

wenbel, are you flying down out of Portland? We ended up flying out of Boston so we are taking Mermaid Transportation down to Logon...we were going to take Concord Trailways down, but Mermaid was just $20 more and they pick us up and drop us off at our house.

I've been a veteran WDW guest for several years now. We arrive with our camper and check-in at Ft Wilderness around noon. We set up camp, go for a swim and spend the evening riding the bus visiting the various hotel lobbies and gift shops. If you want someplace to relaxing to eat, Crockett's Tavern serves appetizers and pizza. Lot's of families frequent this place. This is right next to Pioneer Hall at the Ft. Wilderness Resort and near the beach with the electric water parade.

Hotel hopping is another great activity for the evenings of the day you spent at a water park too. AND it's free!

You can have fun without spending a dime!

We are flying out of Portland. We live two hours north of Portland but Bangor was expensive. Last trip we left from Manchester. Last time I do that while the kids are young! Portland is far enough after being on a plane for hours. Have a nice trip. Hope we bring the warm weather back with us!

Your strategy is exactly what we do! If we are not staying at BC, the first thing we do is head over there. I've been able to stand just outside of EPCOT at the BW entrance and see the ToN parade. The music is enough to get you into the mood. We have also gone to the Poly for dinner O'hana's. There are activities for the kids during dinner and you have a great view of MK. The resort is nice to stroll through too. Or, you can go to Downtown Disney and do some shopping (getting that out of the way)! I've been to AKL on an off day to see the animals in the back and walk through the resort and gift shop. For the most part though, we like to use that downtime to check out some of the other resorts.

We are staying at CBR, so we plan on checking out the resort grounds & swimming a bit....then we are going to Chef Mickey's for a character dinner & going somewhere to see the fireworks....maybe the Poly beach.....any suggestions would be appreciated.....the kids have never been on the monorail, so any one of those hotels would be fun for us....

We are arriving at the Dolphin around 6:30. Our plan is to eat at the ESPN restaurant, walk around the boardwalk, and then play golf at Fantasia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter