1st time DCL - Wish - Booking/Planning Questions

Thanks for this info, it's honestly my one hang up about booking this excursion (well any) right now. I know my kids won't survive a full day. And while this seems crazy to say about a Caribbean cruise, we're just not beach people. The sand, the sun, the seagulls...and we're going in February so while my kids won't care about water temp (and the water doesn't get that much warmer up here), I won't like it.
We usually cruise Jan/Feb but we are from Ohio where its FREEZING when we left so we are always happy to get in the water because its warm for us! Depending on the ages of your kids there is an inflatable obstacle course in the water there they can do. There also is lunch and some shopping. I would have not made it if we were in the sun the whole time but there was so many shaded areas that it was perfect honestly.

I have no idea if eventually they'll go back to the rotating taxi boats so you can leave as you please. I want to say when I went last time officially it was like 5-6 hours maybe?

And while this seems crazy to say about a Caribbean cruise, we're just not beach people. T
Not that crazy. We've been on multiple Caribbean cruises and we're not beach people. I'm not fond of sand and I'd rather swim in a pool not the ocean. We're there mainly for the warmth and the ship. Having said that, we always do at least one excursion on an island we've not been to before. It's usually a tour of the island, trip to a museum, see the main historical sites, maybe some nature spots. Obviously, whether you'd do something like that depends on whether kids are interested or not - we don't have any children. We've certainly gone to the beach and swum in (well, maybe walked into) the water but it's not an imperative for us at all.

We enjoyed it, my oldest (in the first photo - age 6 at the time) really had a great time, my younger one was a little nervous.

So they take you onto this floating dock and then you step down a set of stairs into the water and you're on a metal platform that's about waist deep for adults. My youngest (4 at the time was too short and with the life vest making him float he couldn't touch so we had to hold him.

We learned about the dolphin first and watched him interact with the trainer. Then each family got a little individual time with the dolphin. We got to give it hugs and kisses and also have it do tricks for us. At the end they line every group up for a photo with the dolphin.

Second photo is to show about how high the water is. I'm 5'7 and my husband is like 6'1. My 6 year old could stand if he wanted to my 4 year old would have been able to stand if he wasn't wearing the life vest. I am sure an 8 year old would be just fine.

My only complaint, which I understand WHY they do it but still, is you cannot have your phone or anything with you to take any photos on your own so I had to either buy a photo package or individual pictures.

Overall the excursion was kind of an "all day" thing. The encounter all in all was probably an hour but then you have access to the beach and rest of the island after. PreCOVID they had shuttles multiple times an hour that you could go back to the ship whenever you wanted. When I was there a couple months ago they had a set time everyone from the ship had to leave and that was the only time they would take people back. For us we did our excursion then hung out on the beach. Blue lagoon had TONS of chairs some in shade some in sun and we just enjoyed the day until it was time to go back.
View attachment 748204

View attachment 748205

Thanks for this info, it's honestly my one hang up about booking this excursion (well any) right now. I know my kids won't survive a full day. And while this seems crazy to say about a Caribbean cruise, we're just not beach people. The sand, the sun, the seagulls...and we're going in February so while my kids won't care about water temp (and the water doesn't get that much warmer up here), I won't like it.

That would be a hang up for me as well. I’m not really a big fan of the beach and we’ll have a whole day at CC. Maybe things will be different by the time we actually take the trip.

How hard is it to successfully book the Royal Gathering and what is it exactly?

Is it a scenario in which every family that’s not concierge will be on the app 30 days out at midnight attempting to secure a spot?

How hard is it to successfully book the Royal Gathering and what is it exactly?

Is it a scenario in which every family that’s not concierge will be on the app 30 days out at midnight attempting to secure a spot?

Booking is done by Castaway level which is DCL's frequent sailing program. Anything that has to be booked in advance goes on that level.

Concierge guests and Platinum level guests can book 120 days out (this will change in May when Pearl level is added)
Gold Castaway level books at 105 days out
Silver Castaway Level books 90 days out
First time cruises book 75 days out

Booking is done by Castaway level which is DCL's frequent sailing program. Anything that has to be booked in advance goes on that level.

Concierge guests and Platinum level guests can book 120 days out (this will change in May when Pearl level is added)
Gold Castaway level books at 105 days out
Silver Castaway Level books 90 days out
First time cruises book 75 days out
This is not what I’ve read, which indicates the that for booking Royal Gathering the Club level is not relevant (only Concierge gets preferred window). Has something changed?

This is not what I’ve read, which indicates the that for booking Royal Gathering the Club level is not relevant (only Concierge gets preferred window). Has something changed?
Port excursions and most onboard activity that require a reservation are done according to the Castaway Club level dates posted above. That would be onboard things like adult dining, tastings, spa services, bibbidi bobbidi boutique, nursery pre-booking, and the sports simulator. Other than tastings, I think most of those items are also book-able onboard.

At the 30-day window when you do online check-in, that is when you get your PAT and I think any special character meets.

Port excursions and most onboard activity that require a reservation are done according to the Castaway Club level dates posted above. That would be onboard things like adult dining, tastings, spa services, bibbidi bobbidi boutique, nursery pre-booking, and the sports simulator. Other than tastings, I think most of those items are also book-able onboard.

At the 30-day window when you do online check-in, that is when you get your PAT and I think any special character meets.
Unless something has changed, this is not applicable to the Royal Gathering which can only be booked by all guests 30 days out, except for Concierge which can book 35 - 40 days out.

https://dclfan.com/onboard-activiti...rns-for-royal-gathering-of-disney-princesses/

If this has changed, can you point me to where you’re seeing the new booking policy for this event?

Unless something has changed, this is not applicable to the Royal Gathering which can only be booked by all guests 30 days out, except for Concierge which can book 35 - 40 days out.

https://dclfan.com/onboard-activiti...rns-for-royal-gathering-of-disney-princesses/

If this has changed, can you point to me where you’re seeing the new booking policy for this event?
The Royal Gathering (or Princess Gathering) is a special character meet & greet. As I noted that is done at 30 days along with online check-in. Special character meet & greets also include the Royal Tea and Olaf's Picnic (depends on ship).

Most other onboard activities plus port adventures are booked according to the Castaway Club level schedule. This includes things like adult dining, tastings, spa services, bibbidi bobbidi boutique, nursery pre-booking, and the sports simulator.

My post was basically clarifying @OpieDoodle 's post that the special character greets which require reservation are at 30-days, but all else is done according to the CC schedule.

Last edited:
Royal gathering is 30 days out at midnight….
I booked it for my 4 night in January before I did check in and got it for Nassau day my sister just hit her 30 for her upcoming 3 night idk if she did check in first or not but Nassau day gathering was booked up but she got it castaway day

I have never done the Royal Gathering so I wasn't aware it was different than other bookable onboard activities. On the DCL website it says Royal Gathering is available 30 days out and doesn't mention castaway level so I'd assume at midnight 30 days out it'll be a free for all. It looks like its just 3 experiences that do the 30 days: Royal Gathering, Royal Court Royal Tea, and Olafs Picnic. It says the last 2 are only on select cruises.

The Royal Gathering (or Princess Gathering) is a special character meet & greet. As I noted that is done at 30 days along with online check-in. Special character meet & greets also include the Royal Tea and Olaf's Picnic (depends on ship).

Most other onboard activities plus port adventures are booked according to the Castaway Club level schedule. This includes things like adult dining, tastings, spa services, bibbidi bobbidi boutique, nursery pre-booking, and the sports simulator.

My post was basically clarifying @OpieDoodle 's post that the special character greets which require reservation are at 30-days, but all else is done according to the CC schedule.
Thanks! The bottom of your post got cut off when I was reading it so I missed that part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter