• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st time to DLR-long summary

mom_rules

<font color=FF66FF>LOVES the Yachtsmen!<br><font c
What an excellent vacation. 1st time to DLR. Both WDW and DLR have their good and bad points but we loved DLR equally as well as WDW because of its differences.
So here it is-
My vacation was great. We loved
DLR, the Grand, concierge, Huntington Beach/Newport Beach/Fashion
Island, the Block, Hooters, DCA and Knotts (what have I forgotten?)
We are already thinking about going back next Sept-we bought annual
passes. Concierge for us was well worth the extra-absolutely loved all
the staff. VP did an awesome job, we were absolutely thrilled with
everything. Saw Fantasmic from the Balcony (had the first four seats
in the front row) and from Premium Seating.
We actually preferred the Premium Seating although we had to arrive
a little over an hour before the show to check in (we were family #3).
We only had two small glitches with our PS-Granvilles was closed for some sort
reno so we did not have any PS for dinner that night-ended up eating Pizza
at Napolini and hot dogs at Whitewater Snacks and the second was our PS at
Catals upstairs were moved to the UVA Bar because of a Private Party. Neither
time were we informed in advance that there was a change in our PS.
Also, we received tuxedo strawberries (awesome by the way) two nights in
a row but no cookies (I think one should have been cookies.) I'll let you know how close
to my budget VP came when I get the bill.
America West Airlines is wonderful. We upgraded to 1st class (again
worth it for us as three of us do not like to fly). Flight home was very turbulent
but my Bonamine worked excellent.
There must have been a flu bug going around the hotel-DS, DH and I had a touch but DD had full blown 24 hour-in bed-throw up variety. Later in the week, another gentleman in concierge was saying he had a touch but his DD and DW had the stay in bed kind for 2 days!
Bonamine also worked great on the rides too! (Had no side effects next day at all)

Rode Teacups, Soarin, Indy, Sun Wheel and Screamin with no problem.
Aladdin was awesome - Genie was hysterical.
Ate at: ESPN,Goofys Kitchen, Blue Bayou,
Ralph Brennan's-excellent service, excellent food (really good Mint Juleps-alcoholic version-Piano player took requests-he was very good), Storytellers (2X), Ariels Grotto (lousy service-only okay food, characters ignored our table),
Uva Bar, Vineyard room (nice experience for adults-do NOT recommend for kids)-saw the Electrical Parade from there, Napolini's (great Pizza and Lasagna-lousy Mac&Cheese), Whitewater snacks 3 or 4 different times and Hooters.
We had breaky in concierge 5 mornings, wine and cheese every night of our stay, borrowed DVD's, took lots of water, soda and milk to the room (finally got a fridge after the 2nd day). Concierge gave us all big hugs at the end of our stay. (By the way, concierge serving staff does take tips-we gave desk staff all sorts of souvenirs ie. pens pencils lanyards candies etc.
Had a short LP meet with Donalds Gal and her sister. Love you guys-hope you had a great time.
Except for Fri, Sat and Sun (completely packed at all restaurants and theme parks because of Gaydays, CHOC Walk and HMH opening) all rides were a walk on. You could ride them over and over without waiting. Pool was always empty.
I'll update when I've had a chance to go over my notes-Any questions, please ask!

You must have really enjoyed yourselves to buy AP's!

So, you can really do DL in a weekend, say over Easter!?! It's my turn to pick where we stay!LOL So I was thinkin' maybe DL! Do you think it is worth it for the weekend? Just how different from WDW is it? Of course, don't know if Concierge is affordable to us since buying into DVC, and of course, there's that cruise in January!

Welcome Back!

Scratch
pirate:

You could do DLR in a long weekend-but with the time difference and the length of the flight I wouldn't recommend it. You will be surprised at the price difference for accomodations between WDW and DLR - Get a quote from CAA/AAA - You will be able to afford concierge. Their PAP cost was worth it for us. We went to the parks everyday for 9 days - the cost of hoppers would have come out to the same (or a little more) and we wouldn't have gotten any of the discounts on merchandise and food (and now accomodations).

But what is the time difference and how long of a flight?

TIA

Scratch
pirate:

California is 3 hours behind us (didn't make too much of a difference there but when we got home it took 4 days to get back in sync). We took the shortest flight available, with the shortest connection (nothing flies direct to SNA) and it took almost 7 hours. We were very fortunate to be able to upgrade to first class (I highly recommend America West-shortest flight, best rate for the time we went).

Did you say SEVEN HOURS! Then it would definately have to be First Class! DD and I would definately not be pleasant people otherwise!

Thanks for the info, definately not a weekend trip!

Scratch
pirate:

Yup! Just about 5-1/2 hours in the air and 1-1/2 hours to
connecting flight. (We could fly to DL Paris in the same amount of time). Time went quickly in first class-got fed, had lots of beverages and got to see Pirates of the Carribean and Bruce Almighty (I hadn't seen either).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter